Print Thread
Looking for Disabled Hunter Organizations #187615 06/19/07 10:19 PM
D
DisBowHntr Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Hello everyone....I am a disabled hunter who is looking for an organization to join....I was looking at Disabled American Sportsmen. Anyone ever heard of them or knw anything about them before I join? Thanks!

Bill

Re: Looking for Disabled Hunter Organizations [Re: DisBowHntr] #187616 06/19/07 10:47 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Hello Bill, yes I have heard of and was a member of DAS. They seem to be gone now, but a nicer group of people would be hard to find.
My suggestions would be to check out Wheeling Sporstmen and
Challenged Outdoorsmen of America. Both are fine groups and do a lot for the disabled sportsman.
They schedule hunts and outings throughout the year so you can probably find something there.
Good luck,
skookumchuck

Who, me?
Re: Looking for Disabled Hunter Organizations [Re: skookumchuck] #187617 06/24/07 06:18 PM
D
DisBowHntr Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
I really like the thought of DAS as they help dis vets too. I am a disabled vet from the "war on terror" and thought that would be a good fit....problem is I heard some bad things about the founder....somone told me he was a member on here some time ago and had some problems. I guess I dont want to join an organization that has questionable ethics liuke some I have found. I was told he went by dsrtsniper on here or something similar. Anyone know him or more about this organization. I might also go with Wounded Warriors..... thanks yall.

Bill

Re: Looking for Disabled Hunter Organizations [Re: DisBowHntr] #187618 06/24/07 09:56 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Hi Bill,
I am surprized at your reply about DAS. I have not heard anything durogatory about anyone over there. In fact, if I can go back to February of last year, I had been looking for a hunt for two years. I had finaly decided the only hope for me was a hog hunt, due to the cost. Even those hunts were above my means. A friend suggested I get ahold of DAS and I did. Two weeks later I was hunting. As unsuccessfull as it was I had a ball. Then in April, they took me hunting again, this time with dogs and atv's. What a blast, but still no hog. Then I found out I had an annuerism and needed stents put in my aorta. The founder of DAS got me a deer hunt but it was to far for me to travel. Then within five days, I was diagnosed, designed and in the hospital down in Dallas for my surgery. I really didn't think I would be back. I had four more short stays in the Big House (hospital) since and I cannot find DAS anymore. Still do not know if the annuerism has been reduced. As of March, it had not. Was still the size of a softball. Why it didn't rupture is anyones guess.
Bottom line is there may have been problems there but I never heard of them. The founder paid for most of the cost of my two hunts out of his own pocket, I found out later. So I cannot and will not say anything bad about the group or the folks running it. It crossed my mind that maybe my hunts were part of it but I hope not. The real losers in this are the vets, and that upsets me.
Anyway, being disabled, you can appreciate some of the pitfalls we face in teying to arrange a hunt. Personaly I have to have someone withy me at all times, but if you can move around on your own it would be a plus.
Iwrote the folling and posted it on a forum. The really sad thing about it is that of the 80 people that resd this onlu one replied, and that was of of the admin folks. If you want ot pass it along, be my guest.

BTW,please forgive my mistakes. My computer went toes up and I have to use a neighbors, and I do not like it one bit. LOL

Just A Little Story

OK, picture this. A hunter peers through the shooting window of his blind. The temperature is 36 degrees, the wind blowing directly into his face at almost 40 MPH and the sky beginning to cloud over. He thinks, if it gets any colder it will probably snow. Then, at 100 yards, a whitetail buck comes into view, four points on one side, three on the other. No trohpy, just an average deer. He angles down the slope, coming a bit closer with every step. The hunter slowly draws a bead on the bucks chest with his Bushnell 3X9 and follows the deers every step. Closer, closer, 80 yards, 70 yards and he keeps coming. The hunters senses are at a peak now, unblinking eyes focused, heart beginning to race, a faint film of sweat here and there on his body. His muscles ripple with excitment. Still, he watches, and waits. Then, at 45 yards, with the all important side presentation, he squeezes the trigger. BOOM! The Winchester sending a .270 bullet, in the blink of an eye, through the bucks heart and one of his lungs, and he did that peculiar little jump with a hunched back that tells you it was a solid hit. The he runs back through the mesquite and cactus the way he came, and all is quiet. All except the hunters heart beating 150 times a minute, the hair standing up on the back of his neck and a profusion of excited sweat covering his body. Then he waits, quietly.
Sounds like an average Texas hunt, huh? Well, read on, friend.
a little bush, totally spent. With some effort he drags the deer back to where the hunter is. You can tell this hunter is overjoyed, by the way his wheelchair bounces along the uneven ground. This is his first ever buck, possibly his last. He came hunting with the help of an organization that donates a few hunts per year to disabled adults and children. And many thanks to those few. But the point here is that there are so few hunts available. At least if you don't have a lot of cash for a package hunt. You can't blame the outfitters. They have enough problems seeing to the able bodied hunter. You can't blame the State of Texas. They have done what they think is nexxessary for disabled hunters. You can't After awhile his partner, who was in the blind with him, goes out and follows the blood trail. At about 90 yards, there he is, laying against blame the land owners. They spent too much time picking up trash and finding livestock shot and left to rot by unscrupulous hunters in the past, so they charge high prices for hunting that the average disabled guy cannot afford. I don't know very many that can afford it, do you?
I guess what I am trying to say is that handicapped folks need a little help. Do you know one? If you do, could you take one, just one, hunting one time a year, or maybe even fishing. It will take a lot of effort for you to do this, no doubt about it. And if that hunter gets his deer, or an average largemouth bass, it will not be a success for him, it will be a triumph.

Take care,
Paco (AKA skookumchuck)

Who, me?
Re: Looking for Disabled Hunter Organizations [Re: DisBowHntr] #187619 06/24/07 10:36 PM
1 happyhunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
DisBowHntr.
Check out this web site. http://challengedoutdoorsmen.org/ You might find it interesting(look at the photo pages) if it is not to far for you to travel and you would be welcome to attend all events.

Dearil W Jackson
President Challenged Outdoorsmen of America
http://challengedoutdoorsmen.org/
http://arklatexsportsman.com/
Re: Looking for Disabled Hunter Organizations [Re: 1 happyhunter] #187620 06/25/07 03:01 PM
P
powerteam Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
hey bill,
I do one on one hunting events,we are not a large organization, we do small private hunts for persons with real disabilities that do not get the chance to go by themselves. we have sponcers that pay for meals and lodging
and we can asst. with travel

we have many hunts donated on game ranches and some on private land.
we do ducks, deer,hogs,up;land bird, and turkey and several fishing trips.

we only ask you to fill out a application.....we choose the most in need and the ones that have never gone hunting before first.
we have more than double the hunts this year so im sure we will have some room

contact me at chrispowerteam@aol.com
or 903-277-8700 for more info or an application

www.myspace.com/power_team07

Last edited by powerteam; 06/26/07 02:28 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide