Print Thread
Where I am #186839 06/16/07 12:32 AM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I know there aren't too many guys out there that are like me. I say that with a grain of salt because there are a few. So this is dedicated to them.
My hunting days, and fishing too, are just about over. I can't walk far enough to get to a decent hunting spot. I could climb into a tree stand if someone else took me to it, I have to have oxygen with me 24/7 plus I have to watch my blood sugar, so no sweets to get me through the morning. I love the outdoors, had the oppotunity to hunt in Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona and Texas. So I am not a real cheechako. Have had a couple close calls, mostly dumb mistakes and caught a few really big fish. I have a particularly soft spot for all animals. I don't know how I would react to constantly being persued. A natural pastime for critters is food, but I would have to beware of some of the normal things I would eat at certain times of the year. So I do my hunting and fishing in front of the TV. Most of it is choreographed to be sure, but it still excites the hunter in me. Most folks, on this forum anyway, will never see a hunt like they show on TV. Mainly because it is so expensive, but a few will and that's what keeps the rest of us going. I love looking through the photo galleries, and pictures of somebodys new weapon or other piece of equipment. It gives me hope of some day being able to get out there one more time, well, maybe twice. LOL
So, when you run across somebody like me or a guy in a wheelchair, or just someone with no opportunity to go hunting and fishing, buy them a cup of coffee and tell them of your latest exploits, especially a kid, then it would be a Coke. Believe me, they will remember you for the rest of their lives.

skookumchuck

Who, me?
Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186840 06/16/07 10:03 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Not sure how to see the above thread, in my own mind. The above enlightens me and saddens me at the same time.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Where I am [Re: 7mag] #186841 06/16/07 01:11 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
That's just how I wanted it to be taken. As a group we are usually pushed to the outer edge. Not intentionally, just the nature of the beast, so to speak. It's hard to comprehend the difficulties of handicaped folks when you are embroiled in a prusuit situation. Not complaining, please understand, but I do know my limitations and deal with them as best I can.
That doesn't mean I have lost the desire to hunt and fish, or just take a lazy stroll on a summers evening or go shopping in big stores that don't have electric scooters. In my minds eye, I still do that. I still enjoy the chase, bear the dissapointment of failure, and keep up with the latest gear. It is just that I have to do it from afar. I used to belong to a group that took disabled vets hunting. Wonderful folks. Can't say enough good about them. But, alas, they are gone. The site has dissapeared, and I don't know how to find them, if they are still around. I tried to get support around this area to see if anyone was interested in getting disabled vets out into the field. No response. Nothing from the TV sation nor news paper. It takes a lot of time and effort to get these things off the ground and organized. I would personally relish the challenges that kind of opportunity would present. However, I am not physically able to do more than scheme and conive. I would enjoy the chance to try, but if I could not come through for these guys(and gals), I would not want to even try. Disappointment after disappointment breeds dispair. I wouldn't want to get somebodys hopes up just to dash them on the rocks later.
So, I'm glad you read the post. If you didn't care, you would not have replied. My hat's off to you. And as I said, if you run across one of my compatriots, bend their ear a little bit. They will love it.
Thanks,
ckookumchuk

Who, me?
Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186842 06/16/07 04:41 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Get with Team Hillbilly or James....
I think they are a part of a group that helps disabled hunters or vets....not sure....
If I had my own place I would gladly offer you a hunt....but i don't so i can only say......bend my ear every now and then....I love to chat and hear a good story every now and then......
when i am not hunting i am parked in front of the tv watching as well.....good stuff on them hunting shows....

Where are you located by the way....

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186843 06/16/07 04:48 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thats why I have said, I consider myself lucky. Lucky in the sense that I am able to get out on my own 2 feet, and enjoy nature, more so hunting. I think we all take for granted how lucky we are. I do look at the other side, for example yourself. I wonder how I would be in a wheelchair. You seem to have a better grip on life then I would under those circumstances. I am a "why did this happen to me??" person, without a doubt, and place blame somewhere else. You have a big heart and a look at life from a diferent persprective. I do sympathize with the disabled hunters. I can only imagine. As far as compatriots, I will have James hunting with me this year. I think you can also remember I donated a couple of hunts last year, to the organization you are speaking of. That was a hunt that got derailed by over zealous higher up. I wish I could do more, and do wish that more people would take in more disabled hunters. There are a few, and some in here that do try to help. One or 2 people can't do it themselves, but they can sure try. The hats off to you, goes back to you. For your love of the sport and the desire to move on. Roy

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Where I am [Re: 7mag] #186844 06/16/07 05:40 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks 7mag, but I didn't write this post looking for a hunt. and you are right, I do look at things in a little different slant. Years ago, when my son was eight, he had his ankle pretty messed up from a garbage dumpster turning over on his foot. They took him to the childrens hospital for surgery and rehab. I was dreading going into that hospital and seeing all the really sick and injured kids. Well, I came out with a totally different attitude. I had never seen a more exited group of kids before, or since. They were having chemo, transfusions, major sirgery, sometimes multiple surgeries and worse, yet they looked at the future with great expectations. I decided right then and there that I would try to emulate that attitude. It hasn't always happened and I would get down sometimes, but in the end I think that experience helped me deal with some of life potholes.
You know, most outfitters put emphasis on "trophy bucks" or "monster hogs". Handicapped hunters, generally, could care less if that is what they got. Most of them would be ecstatic if they only got as much as a shot off. Personally I am just as happy if I see one or not. I had a bright red cardinal dance 10 yards in front of my blind one day. It was 26 degrees and the wind was blowing about 40 MPH. I couldn't have been happier. Oh well, I guess if I shot some game I might have been, but you get the idea.
I think I know James. I have hunted with him twice and I consider him a friend. He is going to try and stop for coffe on one of his trips to his brothers place. BTW, kwrhuntinglab, I live in Burkburnett. Not by choice, but it works out OK.
Enough rambling. I could go on and on and have a book, but that's overkill. LOL
Ya'll take care,
skookumchuck

Who, me?
Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186845 06/16/07 08:08 PM
1 happyhunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Hey check out this web site you are all ways welcome there.
Dearil
http://challengedoutdoorsmen.org/

Dearil W Jackson
President Challenged Outdoorsmen of America
http://arklatexsportsman.com/
Re: Where I am [Re: 1 happyhunter] #186846 06/16/07 09:41 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks 1 happyhunter, but this thread is starting to drift. As I said, this post was not a search for a hunt for me. I did it mainly to keep the light on the many handicapped hunters and fishermen out there, kids included. A lot of them don't have a prayer of going on an outing, for one reason or another, so the light slowly dims on them. I run across quite a few folks in my predicament over the course of a year, and refer them to sites like COA and Wheeling Sportsmen. I might mention COA offered me a deer hunt last year, but unfortunately it was over in Louisiana which is to far for me to travel. 250 miles is about my limit. Anything over that I would have to take 2 days to travel, so I had to decline. As a matter of fact I seem to remember your name was mentioned. For that offer, I thank you.
Anyway, I just thought I would try and build a fire under somebody and see what happened. I really appreciate all of your responses. I know there are people out there that haven't forgot us.
An absolutely fantastic thought just came to me. If anyone that reads this and has connections with one of the TV shows, what a wonderful opportunity for that show to take a disabled vet, or anyone else for that matter, hunting and make a show of it. Those programs are watched by millions of folks around the country and maybe come good can come of it. I have seen a few shows spotlighting disabled guys and that was great. But maybe I am getting greedy for asking more. Oh well.
Thanks again for your reply.
skookumchuck

Who, me?
Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186847 06/17/07 02:06 AM
1 happyhunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
[quote I might mention COA offered me a deer hunt last year, but unfortunately it was over in Louisiana which is to far for me to travel. 250 miles is about my limit. Anything over that I would have to take 2 days to travel, so I had to decline. As a matter of fact I seem to remember your name was mentioned. For that offer, I thank you.
]
Paco
I thank you for the info but it was not COA that offered you the hog hunt in LA we do not hunt in LA we hunt only in TX but you and any one else that has a disability is welcome to come and hunt with us at any event any time just check out our coming event page and come hunt with COA.

Dearil W Jackson
President Challenged Outdoorsmen of America
http://arklatexsportsman.com/
Re: Where I am [Re: 1 happyhunter] #186848 06/17/07 02:40 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is the first time I have checked out the disabled hunters section, which I am ashamed of, btw, and I am glad I read this thread, skookumchuck. It can really open someones eyes.

Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186849 06/17/07 11:10 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Hey Skook, I'm disabled also. My wife tells me I'm a 65 year old with an 85 year old body. I'm on my third pacemaker, have diabetes, high blood pressure, and have divertriculitus, (inflamation in the digestive tract). But, the Lord blesses me with the ability to get around fairly well. If I didn't have my own place I don't know what I would do. Probably do as you do and watch it on tv. I do that anyway. I'm short winded and over weight so you are not alone. I used to hate taking pills and professed that I didn't have to take anything. Now I'm on 10 different medications daily for my ailments. But I'm still blessed to be here everyday until HE calls me home.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186850 06/18/07 03:09 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Good morning, although it is already 11 AM here. I woke up yesterday, looked around and found myself up to my you know what in alligators, so didn't get around to posting yesterday.

cbump, don't feel bad about not checking out the disabled topic. It's not something that able bodies think about unless it's pasted before their eyes. I mean that in jest. I still have a small sense of humor even if it is a little warped. LOL My object was to open up eyes that haven't thought about disabled folks out there trying to bag a deer or hog, or catch a few fish. I had my chance, even though I darn near froze to death and didn't even see one. But you know what? That was the most fun I had in years. Kudos for those guys that took the effort to get me out there. So, if you see an event geared to help disabled hunters of fishermen, donate a couple hours or whatever you can. It's not money that makes the difference, but people.
Thanks.
skookumchuk

Who, me?
Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186851 06/18/07 03:28 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Hello cool-hand,
I can certainly sympathize with your medication array. I have about the same. So many, in fact, I have to line them up in a particular order so I don't forget one or two. I envy your ablility to get out of the house. I have trouble walking from my bedroom to the kitchen some days. But I have a Rollator now and that helps.
I sold a drum last year and was able to buy a blackpowder rifle with a scope. Haven't had the opportunity to use it other than on the range. But I'm excited about the chance someday. We have a hog trap in the neighborhood but after the initial fervor it has slowed down. Actually it is back in town until whoever decides to set it again. It's hard to find able bodied men around here to do the heavy lifting and hole digging. Someone will come along, I'm sure.
Well, you go have some fun today,
shookumchuck

Who, me?
Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186852 06/19/07 02:25 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Skook, what do you like to hunt? It's possible I can afford you a hunt during season when we have noone at the lodge. To tell the truth, I rarely get out of my suburban on hogs, coyotes, and deer. I didn't load my 270 last year for deer. I will get out of the truck for fishin. you'd be welcome to come anytime for that.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Where I am [Re: skookumchuck] #186853 06/19/07 10:39 PM
S
skookumchuck Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks Cool-Hand, that is is generous offer. But as I said, I didn't post this thread looking for a hunt. It's really difficult for me to get out now. I have to have my oxygen tank and nebulizer with me at all times so it can get a little noisy. That's why I am not actively looking for a hunt right now. There are plenty of disabled folks around, kids and ladies too. They are the real subject of this post. Some of them, actually most of them, cannot afford a hunt. I looked recently at a few outfitters signing up for this falls white tail hunts. Some of them charge up to 3500
hundred dollars. Of course that's for a trophy buck. If you stop and think about it, the disabled hunter is not looking for that kind of game. he would be perfectly happy getting a shot at a forked horn, and if he took home some meat, so much the better. It is a matter of being out there, doing the outdoors stuff that appeals to them. Well, to me anyway.
Part of my hunt last year was freezing my fanny off in the blind and the other half was sitting around the fire shooting the bull with the other hunters.
So if you see one of these I spoke of, have a little chat with them. It will lift their day more than you can imagine.
Thanks,
skookumchuck

Who, me?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide