Print Thread
Hunting Stephens county #1858224 11/23/10 05:05 PM
P
papawskids Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Hunting has been a little slow anyone do any good lately,I will be down there friday through sunday hoping to fill freezer. I think the trophies are out of reach for now.

Strange thing opening day, did not hear a lot of shooting around me. Could be good thing but probally bad thing.
My son and I went to Rays grocery early checking to see if there was a lot of deer coming in, and around noon here they came our heart sunk we thought everyone was having a bad day like we were.
Hey at least I was out there with family and enjoyed my grandkids, that was better than a trophy.
At least I can fill the freezer and feed the family food

Mark Stauffer REALTOR
817-247-2880 marsls00@yahoo.com
Jack Edson Real Estate,LTD
ANY ONE CAN BUY IN 6 MONTHS OR LESS
Credit Guru National Credit Federation
Re: Hunting Stephens county [Re: papawskids] #1858324 11/23/10 05:41 PM
S
skeeteroneal Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Depends on what part of the county you are hunting in. Our place is between Breckenridge and Cisco and it has been slow. My family owns Rays Grocery and I help process on the weekends. We have had an ok year. Numbers have been better than last year but definatley not a record year. Hope to take in a bunch this weekend and hopefully shoot one myself. On a side note, hunters remember we are an AR county. We have had several deer brought in that would be considered illegal by AR rules. Hate to see anybody get a ticket.

Re: Hunting Stephens county [Re: skeeteroneal] #1858364 11/23/10 05:57 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: skeeteroneal
Depends on what part of the county you are hunting in. Our place is between Breckenridge and Cisco and it has been slow. My family owns Rays Grocery and I help process on the weekends. We have had an ok year. Numbers have been better than last year but definatley not a record year. Hope to take in a bunch this weekend and hopefully shoot one myself. On a side note, hunters remember we are an AR county. We have had several deer brought in that would be considered illegal by AR rules. Hate to see anybody get a ticket.

Quick question on AR's. Do you ( the processor ) report the deer that are under the restrictions? I'm mostly just curious I hunt in a non AR county.

Re: Hunting Stephens county [Re: skeeteroneal] #1858381 11/23/10 06:03 PM
P
papawskids Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Was there opening weekend and saw a couple of bucks that looked real close that was at Ray's, that is something that everyone needs to realize, don't just shoot any thing unless it is a good cull buck that is legal. If we do our part hopefully this will turn around the quailty soon.

Mark Stauffer REALTOR
Re: Hunting Stephens county [Re: papawskids] #1858515 11/23/10 06:42 PM
S
skeeteroneal Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
It normally falls under the game warden inspection, not us. It is the disgression of the game warden as to whether a citation will be issued or not. We will do what the game warden instructs us to do. We have never tried to be the deer police, but will do whatever we can to help the game warden. At this point, we are trying to teach the hunters what they did wrong. This is our 2nd year in AR. I am for it with one exception. I think children should be exempt. We don't have many deer at our place so my children getting their first deer may be a challenge.

Re: Hunting Stephens county [Re: skeeteroneal] #1858571 11/23/10 06:54 PM
P
papawskids Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Amen on the children

Mark Stauffer REALTOR
Re: Hunting Stephens county [Re: skeeteroneal] #1858729 11/23/10 07:35 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: skeeteroneal
It normally falls under the game warden inspection, not us. It is the disgression of the game warden as to whether a citation will be issued or not. We will do what the game warden instructs us to do. We have never tried to be the deer police, but will do whatever we can to help the game warden. At this point, we are trying to teach the hunters what they did wrong. This is our 2nd year in AR. I am for it with one exception. I think children should be exempt. We don't have many deer at our place so my children getting their first deer may be a challenge.

I like the idea on the exemption for kids...

Re: Hunting Stephens county [Re: Shortysboy09] #1871040 11/29/10 03:18 AM
P
papawskids Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Well I missed the biggest DEER i have ever seen on our place it was at least 4 to 6 inches outside the ears. Nothing coming to feeders decided to set on a hill by a fence line and above a tank so I can see along ways in case deer were moving. About 5:15 pm I looked over at the fence line where I put Doe in heat at and coming up the fence line there he was, man I was shaking so bad looking half way in the sun and no gun rest, I took a shot at him. Man I could kick myself for not waiting a little longer and using my seat as a gun rest, but you have to uderstand when you see a deer that good it affects you in a way that is hard to ubderstand and explain. You know those deer are old and wise that is why they survive to get that big, I took the shot at him at about 200 yards usually can shoot the eye lashes off of them but with the sun no gun rest and that big deer standing there and I am thinking he is fixin to jump the fence and run off I shot and I MISSED.
I can still picture him in my mind the way he looked and how big he was, man that would have been great buck to take oh well we live to hunt again. It is going to be hard to pull the trigger on any thing else after seeing him, maybe I will get another shot at him next weekend in the post rut. Will definitly be setting there again and soaking the ground with doe in heat

Mark Stauffer REALTOR
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide