Bird Dog
Y
Contact an attorney.

Re: What would you do? [Re: TxTechsan] #1834250 11/15/10 05:15 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I think the $1200.00 plus the Ranch keeps the mount. The coach that invited him would never get an invite either, I hope these coaches set a better example for their teams than this one did on your ranch.

I hope the Kid had a good time, but he also needs to know what his father did was wrong.

Last edited by kmon1; 11/15/10 05:16 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: What would you do? [Re: TxTechsan] #1834255 11/15/10 05:17 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: TxTechsan
Wow what a total DB. I would be soooo mad. I would have taken is gun or something and send him a crazy bill. He took that deer without your consent. Taking his gun until he paid up in full would not bother me at all.

Funny he bought it this week. 299.00 at academy.

we are all here cause we aint all there!
Re: What would you do? [Re: shootlow] #1834256 11/15/10 05:17 PM
T
TooLow Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: shootlow
Score the buck @ $100.00 an inch for the fine of following the rules of your ranch and make him pay.

X2 Plus I would make him pay for the mount but it's going on your wall and I would take most of the meat and him pay for the processing. What a dumb arse. bang

Re: What would you do? [Re: turkeyfantic] #1834290 11/15/10 05:25 PM
L
Letsgo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Rough estimate of $2500 to $3000 deer. However, I would try and collect the $1200 since it was already mentioned and just walk away with a valuable lesson.

Re: What would you do? [Re: TooLow] #1834291 11/15/10 05:25 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'de dbl the 1200 and then invite his kid...and his kid only to come back out and shoot whatever he wants....should hit him in the pocketbook and make things 10x worse by being a super nice guy to his kid.

Re: What would you do? [Re: rifleman] #1834299 11/15/10 05:29 PM
T
texfork Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I would demand fair market value . $1200 is the most you can hope for but the $100 /" sounds more like it .
What do the folks on your lease think about you taking all these people out there to hunt ?
P.S. Get something in writing from him ASAP !

Last edited by texfork; 11/15/10 05:30 PM.

Prayer is the "ultimate" wireless connection .
Re: What would you do? [Re: LandPirate] #1834325 11/15/10 05:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yep, and people wonder why more invitations aren't handed out. First off, guest don't get to invite other guests. That's just rude as heck.

Yes, "Can I bring a guest?" is at the top of my list of the things a person can say that would result in them never being asked to join a lease in which I am a current member.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What would you do? [Re: Texas Dan] #1834331 11/15/10 05:42 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'd definitely find a way to collect my $1200.00 bucks, and I mean that in anyway possible....

Sorry to see this happened.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: What would you do? [Re: texfork] #1834337 11/15/10 05:44 PM
B
bjw2823 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
That sucks to hear. If nothing was in writing can you do anything legally?

Re: What would you do? [Re: Texas Dan] #1834353 11/15/10 05:49 PM
S
scott01 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I tend to agree that I would have just cancelled the trip once the friend wants to invite another friend and he wants to bring his kid too. I'm all for getting kids into hunting so that's not my issue but when the guest list grows and grows, especially without letting you know first, problems always arise.

As far as the total disregard and respect for the rules that were put forth ahead of time and explained thoroughly, that's just an awful shame and a really bad example that the Dad put forth for his own kid to witness. Now, as far as all the chatter about "billing" the guy or writing up some form of bill for the guy to sign now (especially when you're talking about $1,200 to $5,000), well, that's a little ridiculous. You really do't have any legal recourse to confiscate his gun. You can ask him to do so pay retribution and if he wants to man up he will pay. However, from a legal perspective it would be a little difficult to force him into any type of payment if a contract wasn't signed prior to the trip or any type of "penalty" wasn't agreed upon (preferably in writing) prior to the trip. Sort of difficult to press any charges too if you invited him onto the property, he wasn't trespassing. Hate to say it but you are probably just out of luck from a legal perspective. Hopefully he will feel remorse and pay up something for the mistake in judgement but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Re: What would you do? [Re: scott01] #1834357 11/15/10 05:52 PM
S
scott01 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
One other thing. All of you who like to chatter about burying the guy and laying low, or getting payment one way or another just remember that you are not the law. If you would rather end up in prison or pay out financial penalties for hurting someone over a deer then you need to grow up too. That's not the way to handle any situation like this.

Re: What would you do? [Re: janie] #1834358 11/15/10 05:52 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Who raises these people? I'm 37 and I think my dad would still beat me to the ground if I did something like that. No respect. None from the coach either. If someone offers you a "one time" hunt... You don't bring along your friends.

Sad deal man.... You sound like a real good person and it stinks that you got crapper on.

Re: What would you do? [Re: DuctTape] #1834389 11/15/10 06:02 PM
B
bwk1975 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: DuctTape
Looking for some prospective this morning:

I invited a coach of my sons football team to come down to our place and go hunting with me. Last week he asked if his best friend could go with us and I said sure as long as he knows that he could only shoot doe. (which was the deal with the coach) He said he told his buddy and both of them understood the doe only aspect.
On Friday I found out that this other guy was going to bring his 13 yr old son. No one asked me and I expressed my concern to my wife but I thought if I have the opportunity to take any kids out to have an expercience it is worth it.
So we load up Saturday afternoon and hit the road. Again I told the guy that I was sorry but they were only allowed to shoot does because the owners(Brother in Law, wife and myself)have not shot a buck or been hunting yet. He said he understood.
So we get there Saturday at Dusk and see some deer, and yesterday morning the guy and his son sat together again and saw plenty of deer but did not shoot. I suggested that I sit with his son and that he should take one of our single blinds to sit in. I wasnt intent on killing a deer so I thought I would try and spread them out a bit so that everyone had an opportunity.
Needless to say at 4:20 that dude shoots the biggest buck we have seen our place. It is the buck that the night before I showed a picture of him from one of our game cameras and said that my wife had called dibbs on that buck.
So once I found out, I composed myself and asked him how he was getting home and had it just been men I would have left his butt in Ballinger for him to figure it out. I did not want to dress the dude down in front of his kid and I knew he had school today. So I just said that he was going to have to make it right. He said he would work it off or pay for it. After we got the buck to the taxidermy the cost of his decision was adding up in his mind.
Pretty quite all night back to San Antonio but I told him that if we have paid hunters come out, we charge 1200 to shoot what they want with no restrictions. I have a feeling he thought I was going to say "that's ok buddy, no problem" but I just said I would talk with the family and decide what to do. When I got home and laid down to go to sleep I got even more mad. That act was a total act of disrespect to me and my family. I think I am more mad today than last night.
So Family what should I do?

So why did you invite your son's coach, and not one of your close friends? I know you didn't think they would shoot a buck, but you should have implied how much it would cost if they did shoot one in advance. Why did this guy say he shot it again, cause it really doesn't look like a doe to me. And yes, you should have called him out in front of his kid. His kid will not learn an important lesson now, he will only learn it is ok to bend the rules........

Re: What would you do? [Re: turkeyfantic] #1834390 11/15/10 06:03 PM
B
Bob in TX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
What did he say at the time??

The Texas Predator Posse
NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member

Re: What would you do? [Re: texfork] #1834404 11/15/10 06:09 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: texfork
I would demand fair market value . $1200 is the most you can hope for but the $100 /" sounds more like it .
What do the folks on your lease think about you taking all these people out there to hunt ?

My wife, brother in law and I own it. I have taken friends out in the past with no issues but we recently moved and I am trying to establish friendships in a new community. I used poor judgement.

Re: What would you do? [Re: devildog28] #1834406 11/15/10 06:10 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I agree. The only way your going put any pressure on this guy or proof is to draw up a receipt or contract to pay and have him sign it with a notary if possible. He deserves to pay for what he did.

[Linked Image]
Re: What would you do? [Re: Bob in TX] #1834409 11/15/10 06:11 PM
G
Gdilbert Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
Yep when the coach invited the DB I would have explained right off" COACH HUNTING IS NOT A TEAM SPORT!" But since it already happen I would change him the 1200, pay the taxi and keep the mount, if he crys saying its unfair just inform him that you will let your lawyer will handle it.

Re: What would you do? [Re: Gdilbert] #1834419 11/15/10 06:14 PM
E
E.C.O. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
You need to press charges and get with a GW, attorney, whoever you need to help the DB get the harshest punishment possible. My hat is off to you for keeping your composure. I honesty do not even want to think about what I would have done. Seriously though, if you do not pursue him, you are doing injustice to the ranch, and your wife if she claimed that buck hers.

Re: What would you do? [Re: bwk1975] #1834439 11/15/10 06:20 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: bwk1975
Looking for some prospective this morning:

I invited a coach of my sons football team to come down to our place and go hunting with me. Last week he asked if his best friend could go with us and I said sure as long as he knows that he could only shoot doe. (which was the deal with the coach) He said he told his buddy and both of them understood the doe only aspect.
On Friday I found out that this other guy was going to bring his 13 yr old son. No one asked me and I expressed my concern to my wife but I thought if I have the opportunity to take any kids out to have an expercience it is worth it.
So we load up Saturday afternoon and hit the road. Again I told the guy that I was sorry but they were only allowed to shoot does because the owners(Brother in Law, wife and myself)have not shot a buck or been hunting yet. He said he understood.
So we get there Saturday at Dusk and see some deer, and yesterday morning the guy and his son sat together again and saw plenty of deer but did not shoot. I suggested that I sit with his son and that he should take one of our single blinds to sit in. I wasnt intent on killing a deer so I thought I would try and spread them out a bit so that everyone had an opportunity.
Needless to say at 4:20 that dude shoots the biggest buck we have seen our place. It is the buck that the night before I showed a picture of him from one of our game cameras and said that my wife had called dibbs on that buck.
So once I found out, I composed myself and asked him how he was getting home and had it just been men I would have left his butt in Ballinger for him to figure it out. I did not want to dress the dude down in front of his kid and I knew he had school today. So I just said that he was going to have to make it right. He said he would work it off or pay for it. After we got the buck to the taxidermy the cost of his decision was adding up in his mind.
Pretty quite all night back to San Antonio but I told him that if we have paid hunters come out, we charge 1200 to shoot what they want with no restrictions. I have a feeling he thought I was going to say "that's ok buddy, no problem" but I just said I would talk with the family and decide what to do. When I got home and laid down to go to sleep I got even more mad. That act was a total act of disrespect to me and my family. I think I am more mad today than last night.
So Family what should I do?

So why did you invite your son's coach, and not one of your close friends? I know you didn't think they would shoot a buck, but you should have implied how much it would cost if they did shoot one in advance. Why did this guy say he shot it again, cause it really doesn't look like a doe to me. And yes, you should have called him out in front of his kid. His kid will not learn an important lesson now, he will only learn it is ok to bend the rules........

The dad just said he saw the buck walk in, he scoped it and then backed down. Sat for five minutes then scoped again and pulled the trigger. He said it was just too much to pass on. We did talk about it in front of his kid but I was not irrate or biligerant about it. Just matter of fact.

Re: What would you do? [Re: DuctTape] #1834443 11/15/10 06:20 PM
K
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: texfork

My wife, brother in law and I own it. I have taken friends out in the past with no issues but we recently moved and I am trying to establish friendships in a new community. I used poor judgement.

You don't need friends like that, but we all live and learn in that regard I would guess. His actions speak alot more about him than they do about you.

I invite friends to my place to hunt all the time and have never had an issue. If a situation like yours occurred, I'd likely ask for retribution. Instead of charging per inch or saying $1,200 I would come up with a figure that has more meaning. Here is what I've done to get my point across.

As I said, I take people out to my place often. On the drive up, I explain what deer we're looking for. My biggest issue is with someone shooting an immature buck, so I try to give them basic guidance on the charateristics to look for as it relates to body, making sure they pay more attention to that than to antlers.

My penalty for shooting a buck you shouldn't: One years worth of corn which comes out to about $1,150. That's before adding fuel costs, man hours, etc.

I hate that you got taken advantage of. If he doesn't come through with retribution, I have many suggestions for legal ways to get back at him. Won't get the buck or your money to you, but will definitely teach him a lesson.

Re: What would you do? [Re: bjw2823] #1834451 11/15/10 06:21 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: bjw2823
That sucks to hear. If nothing was in writing can you do anything legally?

I do not know. I figured I would end up writing a check to my brother in law.

Re: What would you do? [Re: scott01] #1834454 11/15/10 06:22 PM
D
DuctTape Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: scott01
I tend to agree that I would have just cancelled the trip once the friend wants to invite another friend and he wants to bring his kid too. I'm all for getting kids into hunting so that's not my issue but when the guest list grows and grows, especially without letting you know first, problems always arise.

As far as the total disregard and respect for the rules that were put forth ahead of time and explained thoroughly, that's just an awful shame and a really bad example that the Dad put forth for his own kid to witness. Now, as far as all the chatter about "billing" the guy or writing up some form of bill for the guy to sign now (especially when you're talking about $1,200 to $5,000), well, that's a little ridiculous. You really do't have any legal recourse to confiscate his gun. You can ask him to do so pay retribution and if he wants to man up he will pay. However, from a legal perspective it would be a little difficult to force him into any type of payment if a contract wasn't signed prior to the trip or any type of "penalty" wasn't agreed upon (preferably in writing) prior to the trip. Sort of difficult to press any charges too if you invited him onto the property, he wasn't trespassing. Hate to say it but you are probably just out of luck from a legal perspective. Hopefully he will feel remorse and pay up something for the mistake in judgement but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Agreed

Re: What would you do? [Re: DuctTape] #1834465 11/15/10 06:28 PM
B
bwk1975 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
He had no option but to pass, doe only! If it had horns he did not have the right to shoot it. Sorry to say, but it sounds like you lost control of the situation when you let the friend and his son come along with the coach in the first place. DTA- don't trust anybody is the lesson i learned along time ago. Also don't assume, it a makes and arse of u and me. Hopefully it works out for you, but if it doesn't and least take something from this...

Re: What would you do? [Re: bwk1975] #1834474 11/15/10 06:32 PM
G
Gdilbert Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
Originally Posted By: bwk1975
He had no option but to pass, doe only! If it had horns he did not have the right to shoot it. Sorry to say, but it sounds like you lost control of the situation when you let the friend and his son come along with the coach in the first place. DTA- don't trust anybody is the lesson i learned along time ago. Also don't assume, it a makes and arse of u and me. Hopefully it works out for you, but if it doesn't and least take something from this...
eek2

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide