Forums46
Topics539,557
Posts9,751,101
Members87,167
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: 10pointdoe] #1829942 11/13/10 02:51 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: 10pointdoe
If you were screwing the secretary, would you go tell your wife
Now that's Funny!!!
I wouldn't have called ahead in the first place. Just show up with it at the check in station and act surprised it didn't make 13". C'mon, it was 12 something. Might've just gotten him a warning instead of a fine.
Kinda like callin a Hi-way Patrol and lettin him know what road you will be on and that you will be travelin 85mph.
Had a buddy do that at a certain WMA. He thought for sure it was a legal deer. It wasn't but took it in anyway. It fell more than an inch short. They kept the deer and he got a pretty good scoldin. Lot better than a $$$ fine!!!

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: sqiggy] #1830081 11/13/10 04:31 PM
C
cable Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
I must say I am a little dissapointed in some of the responses on here. He made a mistake, he did the right thing. That is where the conversation begins and ends IMO.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: cable] #1830976 11/14/10 03:27 AM
C
cleatas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: cable
I must say I am a little dissapointed in some of the responses on here. He made a mistake, he did the right thing. That is where the conversation begins and ends IMO.

up

''Tis better to be silent and be THOUGHT a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln
Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: cleatas] #1832405 11/14/10 11:54 PM
A
aggiedp05 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
I've heard of several game wardens that will just give a warning if the deer was close and they got a call from the guy who killed it. One told me if somebody is honest and calls him its usually a warning but if he finds it at a processor or in a camp and didn't know about it then it is usually a ticket. I'm glad the guy was honest enough to do the right thing even if it did result in a ticket.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: cable] #1832612 11/15/10 01:22 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L

+1. I respect Greg for doing the right thing...

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Longhunter] #1832740 11/15/10 01:58 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I would imagine he wont shoot another close one...

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: aggiedp05] #1832990 11/15/10 03:08 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Can you provide the county names of where they give warnings? laugh

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: cable] #1833083 11/15/10 03:38 AM
G
Grayson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G

He never even saw the deer head on! He didn't even have a chance to try to judge it, didn't even try! The "right thing to do" would have been to not shoot in the first place because, not seeing the deer facing him, he had absolutely no clue how wide it was.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Grayson] #1833108 11/15/10 03:46 AM
M
mailman2000 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
yep I passed on a 6 point opening day it is hard to do in east texas and was the only deer I saw. How much is the fine for this?

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: mailman2000] #1833133 11/15/10 03:55 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Call me rude or whatever, but when you go and try out for Hagermankl, you went through all that qualifying and scouting in mosquito and snake infested forest for a reason. Not to shoot a 110" 8 pt. IMO it was dumb to shoot that deer for many reasons. Sounds like he just didn't do his homework. If I believed in antler restrictions I would say he got what he deserved for not knowing what he was shooting.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Brother in-law] #1833477 11/15/10 12:43 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Had a similar thing happen to me this weekend. Had a deer walk paralel to me and it had tines at least 12 g2 and figured wow my first legal buck in 4yrs of ar. Just as i was about to pull the trigger he turned and started walking towards me and i saw he wasnt 13in. wide so no venison but it was close! Would i have turned myself in? Nope pretty sure i wouldnt have but not gonna beat a guy down for doing the right thing.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Hoytman] #1833600 11/15/10 01:47 PM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Why can't we just let an honest man be honest and fess up to a "MISTAKE!" I have made plenty of "MISTAKES" and errors in judgement, I commend him on his honesty and integrity.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: cable] #1833679 11/15/10 02:20 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Yes they do, but he had already measured the deer and called in advance to let them know he had to check in an illegal deer. Game warden was there waiting for him and did write him a citation and took the deer.

Originally Posted By: curly
Too bad they couldn't give him a little credit for being somewhat honest

And that's why you see a lot of the previous responses about taking your chances; which in my mind is same as poaching.
I give Greg props for being honest. up

Last edited by fowlplayr; 11/15/10 02:22 PM.
Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: cable] #1833796 11/15/10 02:50 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Same thing happened last yr on the Hage from a guy on that bowhunting site.... things happen, but if it was the right thing to do for him to sleep better at night, then that's about all that matters...doesn't really matter what anyone else would do. up

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: cable] #1833986 11/15/10 03:44 PM
J
jbranscum Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I would be proud to hunt with an honest man like that; hope the citation wasn't too steep.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Closed Traverse] #1833995 11/15/10 03:49 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Brandon A
Originally Posted By: scattergun
OK, I'll go first. Take the damn deer home and learn from your mistake. Just a wee bit bigger next time.

yep, screw turning urself in... if they want to find out what u harvested so bad, they can come ask u themselves lol.

cant say ive ever noticed that i was speeding on IH-35 and stopped by AustinPD to turn myself in....

That is funny right there and true.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: erathar] #1834001 11/15/10 03:53 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I would blame myself, but turning myself in just to pay the fine is where I would draw the line. Paying a fine might make some people a bit more selective, but just knowing I screwed up one time would make me a lot more selective the next time I went hunting.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: BenBob] #1834021 11/15/10 04:01 PM
S
SLT Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I wouldn't have called they can come me. That's what they get paid for.

Anyone can own a fancy gun but can you shoot it ?
Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: rifleman] #1834044 11/15/10 04:07 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Same thing happened last yr on the Hage from a guy on that bowhunting site.... things happen, but if it was the right thing to do for him to sleep better at night, then that's about all that matters...doesn't really matter what anyone else would do. up

My feelings exactly. The whole sleeping at night and explaining it to my kids is what makes a difference to me.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Hoytman] #1834045 11/15/10 04:09 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: Hoytman
Had a similar thing happen to me this weekend. Had a deer walk paralel to me and it had tines at least 12 g2 and figured wow my first legal buck in 4yrs of ar. Just as i was about to pull the trigger he turned and started walking towards me and i saw he wasnt 13in. wide so no venison but it was close! Would i have turned myself in? Nope pretty sure i wouldnt have but not gonna beat a guy down for doing the right thing.

It's awesome you finally saw a buck Hoytman! Sucks you had to pass on it though.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: cable] #1834277 11/15/10 05:22 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I must say I am a little disappointed in some of the responses on here. He made a mistake, he did the right thing. That is where the conversation begins and ends IMO.

soap From what I'm getting after reading this post..... Greg (not me... just share the same name) shot a deer that was too small. Should not have done it without getting a good look. Knew he was going to be checked when he brought the deer in anyway and also knew his position as a hunter ed instructor. So next he calls the GW to let him know... and of course... the GW is there waiting on him to give him a ticket. Sounds to me like he knew he was going to get busted if he called GW or not... "if" in fact they do check every deer... if that's the case his call does not mean as much to me.

Look it was a mistake. I've made mistakes before in life. But I try and learn by them.... Wonder if he would have called the GW if he was hunting somewhere private out in the sticks, or if he would have just said.... "damn... I won't make that mistake again".

Great comparison with looking down and going 5mph over in your car.... you don't go call po-po and tell them when you do this... you just slow it down a bit. So everyone talking about great "ethics"... you be sure to turn yourself in next time you forget to signal for a lane change.

I've known people who have shot ducks a couple minutes before or after LST and never turned themselves in either. It ain't right.... and I can assure you they learned their lesson and watch the clock a little closer now.

Try not to screw up... if you do... learn from it and make sure it does not happen again. If GW or Po-Po bust you for it... then pay your fine and move on. (this is assuming your "mistake" did not cause damage or hurt anyone else... then you go fess up and pay for your mistake b/c it's not right to make someone else take care of your mess) up I'm done.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Greg] #1834312 11/15/10 05:32 PM
B
bjw2823 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Greg
I must say I am a little disappointed in some of the responses on here. He made a mistake, he did the right thing. That is where the conversation begins and ends IMO.

soap From what I'm getting after reading this post..... Greg (not me... just share the same name) shot a deer that was too small. Should not have done it without getting a good look. Knew he was going to be checked when he brought the deer in anyway and also knew his position as a hunter ed instructor. So next he calls the GW to let him know... and of course... the GW is there waiting on him to give him a ticket. Sounds to me like he knew he was going to get busted if he called GW or not... "if" in fact they do check every deer... if that's the case his call does not mean as much to me.

Look it was a mistake. I've made mistakes before in life. But I try and learn by them.... Wonder if he would have called the GW if he was hunting somewhere private out in the sticks, or if he would have just said.... "damn... I won't make that mistake again".

Great comparison with looking down and going 5mph over in your car.... you don't go call po-po and tell them when you do this... you just slow it down a bit. So everyone talking about great "ethics"... you be sure to turn yourself in next time you forget to signal for a lane change.

I've known people who have shot ducks a couple minutes before or after LST and never turned themselves in either. It ain't right.... and I can assure you they learned their lesson and watch the clock a little closer now.

Try not to screw up... if you do... learn from it and make sure it does not happen again. If GW or Po-Po bust you for it... then pay your fine and move on. (this is assuming your "mistake" did not cause damage or hurt anyone else... then you go fess up and pay for your mistake b/c it's not right to make someone else take care of your mess) up I'm done.

+1

I wonder how he would have handled it if he knew he wasn't going to be checked.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: bjw2823] #1835818 11/16/10 01:10 AM
Longhorn95 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: bjw2823
I wonder how he would have handled it if he knew he wasn't going to be checked.

I do not know Mr. Goodrich personally. What I do know of him from another forum we both frequent, I believe him to be a man of integrity and feel he would act in the same manner even if there was no mandatory check.

Frankly, I think it speaks volumes of him to first speak up on an open forum and admit to what transpired and then when asked, agree to be interviewed as well on Cable's show.

He made a dumb mistake and I applaud him for sharing his story with others so that they may learn from it and not make the same mistake.

soap End Rant

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Longhorn95] #1836083 11/16/10 02:06 AM
P
Parker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I need to meet a genius and develop an antler spreader.

Re: What One Hunter Did After Violating Antler Restrictions...On The Lone Star Outdoors Show [Re: Parker] #1836451 11/16/10 03:26 AM
L
lunkerm Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
how much was the fine? is it a class a, b or c offense?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide