Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: bdotson] #1824674 11/11/10 04:28 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: bdotson
Sounds as if a little THF shooting match might be in order one could clean or not let the targets do the talking.

I would take that challenge w/ my dirty gun all day long.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: UncleTed] #1827162 11/12/10 05:13 AM
M
Mfloski Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Barrel break in, prolly crap...but for anyone to say the elite shooters in the military don't believe in cleaning cause it's more accurate is serious bull cocca! My brother was in the army, graduated from the army sniper school, and did two tours in iraqi.....the were made to clean guns every single day! If they had a dirty weapon it was serious trouble! In sniper school they used rifles that had been in service for years being shot and thoroughly cleaned everyday....and don't even try and say they were ok with inaccurate but clean rifles!

Free men own guns...Slaves don't!
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: jjf] #1827352 11/12/10 12:25 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
JJF, my Brother was a pretty well known BR shooter. They did clean their barrels between rounds and accuracy was their only goal. Like you, I was amazed that they used powder throws and didn't measure.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Ten Six] #1827445 11/12/10 01:30 PM
M
Mfloski Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
The first shot isn't a flyer, as everyone keeps suggesting it's some wildly inaccurate uncontrolled shot due to a cLean barrel....it a cold bore shot and will be this way regardless of how much dirt and contamination some crazy people knowingly leave in the barrel to get a false sence of accuracy on that first shot....it's about temperature and everyone should know their guns cold bore shot didderence and for deer hunting maybe even sight for this!

Free men own guns...Slaves don't!
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Mfloski] #1827539 11/12/10 02:17 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
That doesn't hold up sir. I've started with a clean barrel and shot on cold days when there's plenty of time for the barrel to get cold and still had horrible groups until it was dirty. I used to clean the scat out of my rifles but it's just too expensive to waste ammo for shots that don't matter.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: bdotson] #1827540 11/12/10 02:18 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Sounds as if a little THF shooting match might be in order one could clean or not let the targets do the talking.

Great idea. How about we start at 200m? They can even use a scoped rifle if they want.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Mfloski] #1827541 11/12/10 02:19 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
some guns do choot funny after a clean barrel, mine doesnt though, i did the break in procedure on this rifle and my friens rifle, both will shoot perfect on first shot after a cleaning.
Ive seen a lot not do that though, maybe, just maybe, cleaning from the get go is why both these guns shoot off a clean barrel.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Mfloski] #1827544 11/12/10 02:20 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Thank gosh for spotters

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Rustler] #1827562 11/12/10 02:28 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Rustler
Originally Posted By: devildog28
You're too funny, you believe in an article that has been copied pasted and altered so many times it hardly resembles the original.

Well I guess you missed my post about the "experiment" I did. And I noticed that you didn't refute any of my last post. Just like I tell everyone else that tries to match wits......don't. You'll just be wasting time, I can spend hours, days, months, etc. proving you wrong.

Guess you missed mine, some shoot better dirty some shoot better clean, your rifle do it your way, nobody cares.
Guess you missed my point you can find a so called expert to support your opinions on any subject, doesn't make any of them right or wrong. Just more opinions to sift through.

No I didn't miss your post about the "experiment" you did. It's just your opinion on what you found on your rifles, so what. I try not to refute others opinions, opinions are not fact they are one's own theories on a subject.

Matching wits with you? rofl I have better things to do than match wits with an IRE (internet rifle expert) there is no point in me trying match wits against the witless.
The only thing you prove is how far you're willing to go to publicly make an arse of yourself.

So empirical data proves nothing? Well I think you should publish a thesis paper on this because apparantly the whole science community is wrong in their thinking.

And you're right I'm not a rifle expert. I'm actually a multiple award rifle expert, but I don't know about every formula when it comes to ballistics, I'll give you that. Tell you what, I'll go find an A2 with peep sights somewhere and we can meet up for a friendly match. I'll even buy you lunch because instead of a fight I'd rather have a good competition and meet a fellow gun nut. We start at 200m standing and go to 500m prone. All shots will be unsupported. You live near Houston? No pistol shooting though. I'm still better than most but still need work.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: devildog28] #1827839 11/12/10 04:09 PM
B
bdotson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
We start at 200m standing and go to 500m prone. All shots will be unsupported.

I have to ask why if the point is to determine rifle accuracy not that of the shooter looks as if the more variables you can eliminate the better the data. I would suggest a concrete bench with a good rest to test the rifle not the shooter

Last edited by bdotson; 11/12/10 04:09 PM.
Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: bdotson] #1828051 11/12/10 05:32 PM
G
Gdilbert Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
We start at 200m standing and go to 500m prone. All shots will be unsupported.

I have to ask why if the point is to determine rifle accuracy not that of the shooter looks as if the more variables you can eliminate the better the data. I would suggest a concrete bench with a good rest to test the rifle not the shooter
Yes a lead sled<---- think that what it is , would work great to test.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: devildog28] #1828074 11/12/10 05:40 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Empirical data is just a fancy way of saying data collected from observation and measurement.
So no, empirical data is no better than any other kind of data, all data can be skewed and frequently is to show validity to whatever side of an issue one wants the data to show.
Reliable empirical data can be gathered by 3rd graders or anyone capable of measurement observation and recording the results.

You make it sound infallible which it is not, that is proven every time a data correction is made due to results from new data collection.
Collecting empirical data is what hand loaders do to find the best recipe for a given rifle. When an improvement is noted the results of the new data disproves the old as being accurate or the best, such is the case in all data.

Experiences with rifle accuracy vary from person to person rifle to rifle load to load.
Proved by the simplest explanation that most rifles will shoot more accurately with a certain brand, weight or type of factory ammo or a certain hand load recipe.
IMO It is rare to find any 4 different hunting rifles that shoot exactly the same under the exact same conditions with the exact same load or ammo.

Fact is the whole scientific community does not have the same opinions as you or I.
You're just being too stubborn to admit that your opinions are not fact, experts and data is readily available to prove or dis-prove anyone's side of any discussion.
I think we both know the best way to insure accuracy in any given rifle is know your rifle.

I appreciate the invite, I would be the one buying the cheeseburgers. All my rifles out shoot me, I always welcome the opportunity to receive tips / instruction / training to be more accurate any chance I get.

No point in finding an A2, I never fired one though I have fired an E1/A1 enough to last me a life time, never intend to pick up that style firearm ever again.
Peep sights are out for me, my eyesight aint what it used to be I need a scope.
I don't live near Houston, I haven't been near there in 5~7 years.

None of this has anything to do with the topic of "accuracy clean vs dirty bore"
It's just more posts from you showing your repetitive display of narrow mindedness and egotistical chest thumping.

I don't like quoting myself but my first post on this thread stated my opinion. Agree disagree makes absolutely no difference to me, after all it's just an opinion.

Quote:
Rustler 11/10/10 11:07am

I don't think a person is lazy because they dont clean their rifle to someone else's standards.
How ever you chose to maintain your rifles is up to you.

Seems my factory barrels like to be dirty, the high end ones like to be clean.

If you clean one correctly there is no way to damage anything or wear out the bore by properly maintaining it.

Lack of proper maintenance sure makes buying a good used firearm harder to do.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Rustler] #1828086 11/12/10 05:45 PM
G
Gdilbert Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
Empirical data is just a fancy way of saying data collected from observation and measurement.
So no, empirical data is no better than any other kind of data, all data can be skewed and frequently is to show validity to whatever side of an issue one wants the data to show.
Reliable empirical data can be gathered by 3rd graders or anyone capable of measurement observation and recording the results.

You make it sound infallible which it is not, that is proven every time a data correction is made due to results from new data collection.
Collecting empirical data is what hand loaders do to find the best recipe for a given rifle. When an improvement is noted the results of the new data disproves the old as being accurate or the best, such is the case in all data.

Experiences with rifle accuracy vary from person to person rifle to rifle load to load.
Proved by the simplest explanation that most rifles will shoot more accurately with a certain brand, weight or type of factory ammo or a certain hand load recipe.
IMO It is rare to find any 4 different hunting rifles that shoot exactly the same under the exact same conditions with the exact same load or ammo.

Fact is the whole scientific community does not have the same opinions as you or I.
You're just being too stubborn to admit that your opinions are not fact, experts and data is readily available to prove or dis-prove anyone's side of any discussion.
I think we both know the best way to insure accuracy in any given rifle is know your rifle.

I appreciate the invite, I would be the one buying the cheeseburgers. All my rifles out shoot me, I always welcome the opportunity to receive tips / instruction / training to be more accurate any chance I get.

No point in finding an A2, I never fired one though I have fired an E1/A1 enough to last me a life time, never intend to pick up that style firearm ever again.

None of this has anything to do with the topic of "accuracy clean vs dirty bore"
It's just more posts from you showing your repetitive display of narrow mindedness and egotistical chest thumping.

I don't like quoting myself but my first post on this thread stated my opinion. Agree disagree makes absolutely no difference to me, after all it's just an opinion.

Quote:

I don't think a person is lazy because they dont clean their rifle to someone else's standards.

If you clean one correctly there is no way to damage anything or wear out the bore by properly maintaining it.

great post!

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Gdilbert] #1828111 11/12/10 06:04 PM
T
Teal28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
My 700P and I both like it DIRTY.Cold bore shot is always good unless I recently cleaned my barrel. I stopped cleaning it around 300 rounds ago and it shoots better. I used to clean it after every trip to the range or the lease.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Gdilbert] #1828117 11/12/10 06:06 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
It's my sincere hope that my firearms will be handed down for many generations within my family, just as my grandfather's rifle was handed down to me. There is no question that powder residue and copper fouling WILL damage a gun and shorten it's longitivity. Simply put, whichever of my direct decendents should end up with any of my firearms, I want them to know that I did nothing but my very best to maintain them. And I sincerely hope they all do likewise.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: UncleTed] #1828143 11/12/10 06:22 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: UncleTed
You all are still on this topic? Come on guys you are not snipers, do what your daddy and grandpa said and stop being lazy and give that gun a good cleaning! grin

Sigh, I've seen the light. I appreciate the humor.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Rustler] #1828161 11/12/10 06:32 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Quote:

Well you did seem to accuse me of being an IRE, that's why I suggested meeting up. I doubt you'd learn anything from me though, I never critique technique except for when it's dangerous.

Maybe I was a little harsh but I have solid data to prove that my rifles don't do well clean and it's widely known that overcleaning causes damage. I think we can agree that the guys who clean all the time are causing damage

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: devildog28] #1828174 11/12/10 06:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: devildog28
I think we can agree that the guys who clean all the time are causing damage

I cannot disagree more .

As with most things, what is observed by the professionals is most often true and valid.

Just ask any gunsmith and you'll find that a lack of proper cleaning and maintenance damages far more firearms, than those cleaned too often.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/12/10 06:51 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: devildog28] #1828215 11/12/10 06:58 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Yes I did, sorry, my passion for the subject got the better of me.
I was harsh towards you also, lets chalk it up to "stuff happens".

Like I've said some of mine shoot more accurately clean some shoot more accurately dirty.
I hand load, I have from at least one book to 3 ~ 4 books per caliber of data I've collected telling me every aspect of what makes mine accurate. That includes every round fired out of each rifle clean vs dirty.

I believe that if you clean a rifle properly no damage will occur.
I think where we might agree is that quite a few folks don't know how to clean a rifle properly and that will lead to damage. When to clean is highly subjective also.

Lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I'm leaving right now to hunt. Hope you have a chance to do the same.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: DLALLDER] #1828247 11/12/10 07:12 PM
T
TSU99 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I clean mine everytime I shoot. Even if I fire just one round during the entire hunt. I just can't put them up right after a hunt. I don't see how anybody else does it either, it would bug the heck out of me. That way I know they are always clean and ready for anything, and accuracy never suffers. Well, unless the guy touching the trigger (me) is a little off that day. That is just how I was raised. However, to each their own.

Last edited by TSU99; 11/12/10 07:14 PM.
Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: TSU99] #1828314 11/12/10 07:40 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
As mentioned above in several posts all guns are not the same, and some shoot better dirty, and some shoot better clean, and some right in between, and you just have to find what works for you and your own rifle.

A lot of us were taught by parents and grand parents that you should clean your rifle any time you shoot it, and there was nothing wrong with that advise.

You have to remember a lot of people got their firearms training from the military, and they used highly corrosive ammunition back in the day where cleaning after shooting was mandatory.

Just do whatever works for you!

Last edited by Jimbo; 11/12/10 07:43 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Jimbo] #1828325 11/12/10 07:48 PM
T
TSU99 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Jimbo, you are correct about the military upbringing. It is just second nature for me to completely break the firearm down and scrub everything. In my background, I was trained to make sure all my guns were ready to save my and my friend's life if the need arose. Having said that, I shot one my friends 1911 that he rarely cleaned(which bugged the crap out me) and it was every bit as accurate and reliable as a cleaned one.

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Jimbo] #1828339 11/12/10 07:54 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
popcorn

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: Longhunter] #1828357 11/12/10 08:02 PM
B
bdotson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I just cleaned my gun and shot better than anybody in the world! Oh and hey my daddy can beat up your daddy so there banana rofl

Re: Rifle Accuracy [Re: bdotson] #1828364 11/12/10 08:06 PM
T
TSU99 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
You haven't met my dad......so there!

Last edited by TSU99; 11/12/10 08:06 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide