Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Life is good! #182545 06/04/07 02:27 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Welp,

My buddy and I went out to the new lease for the first time this weekend. Let me start by saying that I am going to ramble because:

A.) I like to ramble
B.) I am at work and all I can think of is hunting
C.) I have nothing better to do atm than this.. lol

So, we headed out to the lease which is just north of Talpa. We were laughing so much we passed the 67 cut-off to Talpa. We then found ourselves in Ballinger and went, "Did YOU see Talpa?" heh

Ok, we stopped laughing enough to actually see Talpa on the way back.

We only got to see about 1/4 of the lease as the rest was pretty hard hit by rain the night before and we simply did not want to tear up the roads. We placed one feeder and one stand on the ground overlooking a nice little watering hole and a long fence and a slight meadow.

We placed the other in a good spot overlooking two draws and a long fenceline.

When we went back to actually finish the other stand.. 2 nice bobwhites were sitting under the stand...heh. We'll let them live a few years so they multiply and it turns to 50

I was eaten alive by chiggers. You know.. I would be okay if a genie popped out of a bottle and said, "okay.. inflation hit and you only get ONE wish..".. I would wish for all chiggers to be erradicated from the face of the earth.

So, feeders are filled with corn. We placed a couple protein blocks on the ground and placed a couple game cams out there. I am hoping the gamecams are directed well enough. It was tough as there was just mesquite to tie them to. I think that if we go out next time and no pictures are taken, we will take a couple fence posts and drive them in the ground to mount the cameras on.

So.. now we wait for deer to move in and make themselves all comfy cozy!

Woo hoo!

Pictures to be posted in a month or so

Anyone with special chigger remedies.. let us know.. preventative remedies..

I like skin so soft by Avon.. but forgot to use it. ANYthing else you do to take care of chiggers?

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Life is good! [Re: JohnRussell] #182546 06/04/07 04:22 PM
G
Gunslinger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Quote:

Anyone with special chigger remedies.. let us know.. preventative remedies..

I like skin so soft by Avon.. but forgot to use it. ANYthing else you do to take care of chiggers?

Powdered sulfur. Dust it on your shoes, socks and pants. They HATE the stuff!!

Gunslinger

"Since hunting is a sport, I guess that makes us athletes"

Re: Life is good! [Re: JohnRussell] #182547 06/05/07 01:42 AM
H
HRstretch Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
For after the facts chigger bites, go to your doctor and ask for a prescription of body lice medicine. Take a Q-Tip and saturate tip, then touch each chigger bite. The next day no chiggers. I know this works because, in my early twenties I had so many chigger bites from cleaning out a fence row that I swore that I was going to die. After applying the lice medicine within a few hours it was like they were already dying and were not itching hardly at all. Next day all gone except for the scabs from all the scratching.

Founding member of the 7MM STW Club
Re: Life is good! [Re: HRstretch] #182548 06/05/07 02:08 AM
firecapt186 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
We have a lot of pine trees in our neck of the woods and it seems they are worst around pines. I usually put about a cup of Bleach in my bath water after going to my lease. You'll smell for a time but it's better than itching. As for preventing use insect repellant all over, it helps but don't stop all of them.

Re: Life is good! [Re: JohnRussell] #182549 06/05/07 02:37 AM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
JR, somewhere on this forum is a discussion on chiggers that took place a while back....

Insect repellant (spray or lotion), or Sevin dust (sulfur powder) will prevent them usually. After the fact, take a hot shower and this will rid you of any (live) stragglers. Also wash your clothes on a warm cycle with detergent as usual. Chiggers do NOT burrow into the skin like some people say and a hot shower will do the trick.

As for treating the bites, take a benadryl or other antihistamine or use a topical ointment containing an antihistimine, to relieve itching.

Re: Life is good! [Re: HRstretch] #182550 06/05/07 10:45 AM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

For after the facts chigger bites, go to your doctor and ask for a prescription of body lice medicine.

That reminds me of an old friend some 30 years ago that told me he went to the doctor for some of that stuff. The doctor stuck his head out into the hall, which was full of folks, and yelled to his nurse, "Mrs. Presley!!! Get this boy some Licide, he got the crabs!!"

Re: Life is good! [Re: Big Orn] #182551 06/05/07 11:16 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Yea, I ordered 3 cans/bottles of skin so soft from Avon. That always was good. I cannot beleive I went out there without any insect repellant at all OR sun block. We got burnt and the wierd thing.. my buddy did not get a single chigger.. me.. I got raped.

Well, not next time that is for sure.. I am going to cover myself in preventative meds.. heh

Thanks!

Re: Life is good! [Re: JohnRussell] #182552 06/05/07 11:22 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Powdered sulphur inside two old long socks. beat your boots and pants legs with them, no chiggers. Put on too much, no go in house either...

Campho-phenique kills the heck out of them too. DIAL soap is the best unless you have lye soap.

Sounds like ya'll had a good trip. Glad to hear it.

Re: Life is good! [Re: JohnRussell] #182553 06/05/07 01:20 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Go to a walk in Movie theater and order the biggest bag or tub of popcorn they have, lots of butter and extra salt. Start eating the popcorn immediately. In about an hour the chiggers will get so thirsty they'll have to have a drink. Once they've all left for the water fountain, just change seats.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Life is good! [Re: HRstretch] #182554 06/05/07 01:50 PM
G
Gunslinger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
My Mom always use to put clear nail-polish on my chigger bites. Apparently this smothers the SOB's.

Anybody else heard of that?

Gunslinger

"Since hunting is a sport, I guess that makes us athletes"

Re: Life is good! [Re: HWY_MAN] #182555 06/05/07 01:52 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Go to a walk in Movie theater and order the biggest bag or tub of popcorn they have, lots of butter and extra salt. Start eating the popcorn immediately. In about an hour the chiggers will get so thirsty they'll have to have a drink. Once they've all left for the water fountain, just change seats.

LMAO!!!

Okay, I'll give that one a try....

Re: Life is good! [Re: HWY_MAN] #182556 06/05/07 05:51 PM
R
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
that is hilarious!

BTW, my mother and grandmother used that bleach in the bath water remedy when I was growing up. I can't smell bleach now, that I don't think about those baths.

Re: Life is good! [Re: ralph] #182557 06/05/07 05:59 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
yea, I use clear fingernail polish on them. I am told that suffocates them too. I am not sure if it does, but it makes me feel better thinking I am killing those critters

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'll try the movie one

Re: Life is good! [Re: ralph] #182558 06/05/07 06:00 PM
H
holdem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Mine put Pine-o-Pine in the water, good memories.

Re: Life is good! [Re: holdem] #182559 06/05/07 06:34 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Nothing has ever made my itch go away except ripping my skin off and a little benedryl. Deep Woods Off is my best friend now. You can try the old wives tales but they are what they are... Just a way to mask the itch until it comes back. By the time you might try it the itch could be going away.

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/

http://www.pestproducts.com/chiggers.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_mite

Re: Life is good! [Re: Txduckman] #182560 06/07/07 09:16 PM
T
TechHunter45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
i've always just used diesel

Re: Life is good! [Re: JohnRussell] #182561 06/13/07 01:36 AM
T
TDH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Go to Wally world and get yourself a can of permanone. You CANNOT spray it on your skin. You spray it on your clothes.
Follow the directions and this stuff will last through a couple of washings. It is also odorless after it dries so the deer can't smell it.
No more chiggers or ticks. It also will give you slight protection against skeeters.

Re: Life is good! [Re: TDH] #182562 06/13/07 03:17 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Quote:

Go to Wally world and get yourself a can of permanone. You CANNOT spray it on your skin. You spray it on your clothes.
Follow the directions and this stuff will last through a couple of washings. It is also odorless after it dries so the deer can't smell it.
No more chiggers or ticks. It also will give you slight protection against skeeters.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has classified permethrin as a carcinogen because it causes lung tumors in female mice and liver tumors in mice of both sexes. Permethrin inhibits the activity of the immune system in laboratory tests, and also binds to the receptors for a male sex hormone. It causes chromosome aberrations in human and hamster cells.

I think it is SAFE to assume.. I will not be using that.

Re: Life is good! [Re: TechHunter45] #182563 06/14/07 01:38 AM
M
mossyjoke Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Quote:

i've always just used diesel

Now that is what I'm talkin' about.

"I ain't got time to bleed."
Previous Thread
Index