Print Thread
something that I overlooked Opening morning #1797290 11/02/10 03:58 PM
N
nogeese Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
Ok we are set up, about 10 min before LST a teal buzzes through and then comes back and lands about 20 yards down the bank from the spread in the tall grass.... so I pull out the whistle and give him a peep peep... and Dude barks!!!!
I immediatly give her the "eye of death" and say SHUTUP KNUCKLEHEAD! few min later I give the single "quack" to a gaddie and she barks again!!! we went through this routiene about 4 or 5 times til she realized that she needs to be quite while I am calling...

So the moral of the story practice for EVERY situation, I read that it is a good idea to get them used to the sound of a call but they where in storage in the attic with all of my other hunting stuff and never really gave it a second thought.

smile

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: nogeese] #1797357 11/02/10 04:19 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I agree you really have a lot to remember when getting a new dog ready for their first season. I have a new dog as well, got her a week or two after you, she just turned one on 10-13-10 and I was amazed at how fast she caught on this past weekend, the first time I took her out for teal season she freaked out at the decoys and would not pick up a bird unless forced(she has been force fetched).
I knew what I needed to work on this past month and this past weekend no one would have ever known their was ever an issue. First duck down she retrieved it about 50 yards out never paid attention to the decoys and it was on after that, she retrieved half our birds by marking and the other half on blinds, just blew me away with how fast she caught on, I was really worried about missing a lot of shooting this season to work with her but all that work during the week in the feild really does pay off.
Good luck this season, its a lot of fun watching a dog learn their first season. This is my second one and my first dog hunted for 12 years and retrieved around 3000 ducks, had to put her down in April, she was 14 1/2 years old.

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: mohunter] #1797519 11/02/10 05:09 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Yes, very important aspect. I used a call early on with Zeke (probably never would have thought about it had I not gone to a training day at a HRC) during retrieving drills.

I would give a couple quacks, throw the bumper, shoot and then send him. Now, with no call I can just make my best mouth quack and Zeke will look to the sky.

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: mohunter] #1797526 11/02/10 05:10 PM
O
Old_School Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: mohunter
... my first dog hunted for 12 years and retrieved around 3000 ducks, had to put her down in April, she was 14 1/2 years old.

That's rough. Almost like losing a child. Had to put down two this year. Didn't eat for a week.

Last edited by Old_School; 11/02/10 05:22 PM.

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: Old_School] #1797766 11/02/10 06:14 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I know it was not fun for me, the wife, or my two girls that are 9 and 13, she was the family dog. We did get the new pup before Christmas which made it a little easier.

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: mohunter] #1797923 11/02/10 07:00 PM
T
Three Shot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Ok, got a quick question..

I lost my dog 2 years ago, she was trained well (albeit for general obedience, companionship & play/fetch, not for hunting) and did well on the few hunts she did after I started duck hunting. I had another baby on the way, so I decided to hold off on purchasing a new dog.

I want to get another lab for both the family but also as a hunting partner. My concern is on the training, the last time I trained a dog I had no children; now I have 4 (11, 10, 6 and 1.5).

Am I kidding myself in thinking I can train a dog with kids? Worried they will confuse her.

Not sure if it matters, but I have trained 2 labs & my wife's Brittney based on the Water Dog book. I like the method and it has been effective.

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: Three Shot] #1797962 11/02/10 07:11 PM
N
nogeese Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Three Shot
Ok, got a quick question..

I lost my dog 2 years ago, she was trained well (albeit for general obedience, companionship & play/fetch, not for hunting) and did well on the few hunts she did after I started duck hunting. I had another baby on the way, so I decided to hold off on purchasing a new dog.

I want to get another lab for both the family but also as a hunting partner. My concern is on the training, the last time I trained a dog I had no children; now I have 4 (11, 10, 6 and 1.5).

Am I kidding myself in thinking I can train a dog with kids? Worried they will confuse her.

Not sure if it matters, but I have trained 2 labs & my wife's Brittney based on the Water Dog book. I like the method and it has been effective.

Your fine... as long as you want him/her to be a family dog then there shouldnt be any issue, I would suggest that you tell everyone that YOU and only YOU are the going to be "alpha" in that dogs life and the pup will do great. I have a 6yo and a 13 (now 14) year old... And they taught the pup a few usless tricks but it kinda endeered the dog to the kids, and now I think they love the dog more than they love me.....

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: Three Shot] #1797977 11/02/10 07:15 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Sure the dogs can be trained with kids. I had both my dogs trained by a trainer to start and I just finished them out. My new dog was trained(started) by a local trainer for 3 months and I have been working with her over the last 2 months. By the way, training is never finished, it is just an ongoing conditioning of the dog over a lifetime.
The dog will have a different relationship with each person in your house, if the kids do not make the dog mind it will not, but for you things will be different especially when you hunt and train.
I have lived it with both my Labs, they both have lived in the house and are great hunters regardless of what some people say about dogs living in the house not being good hunters.

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: mohunter] #1797985 11/02/10 07:17 PM
N
nogeese Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: mohunter
Sure the dogs can be trained with kids. I had both my dogs trained by a trainer to start and I just finished them out. My new dog was trained(started) by a local trainer for 3 months and I have been working with her over the last 2 months. By the way, training is never finished, it is just an ongoing conditioning of the dog over a lifetime.
The dog will have a different relationship with each person in your house, if the kids do not make the dog mind it will not, but for you things will be different especially when you hunt and train.
I have lived it with both my Labs, they both have lived in the house and are great hunters regardless of what some people say about dogs living in the house not being good hunters.

Yep my dog is either in the bed with me or on the floor next to me, and she is far and away the best I have ever owned.

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: mohunter] #1797993 11/02/10 07:19 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I think I have more problems with my wife than you will with your kids. At least the kids will listen to you.

Best part of it is when Oakley is barking in the back yard and wife is calling her and just she turns looks at her and goes back to barking. I walk over there say "HERE" in a stern voice and here she comes. Ticks my wife off bad.

That is when I get payback and say well if you would listen and pay attention to the training she would mind you roflmao GREATNESS I tell you...us men and our minor moral victories grin

NG - she will get to the point where she knows the call means ducks. I can turn on a duck/goose TV show and her be asleep in the other room and she comes running to see what it is all about rofl

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: nogeese] #1798016 11/02/10 07:25 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I am a first time trainer, but have had really good success (it's all Zeke though, he just seems to know what I want) thus far. I have two kids, 14 and 10.

A couple of things I would make a priority. First, YOU feed the dog. He will learn quicker I believe that you are the controller of the family. Secondly, while its plenty fine for the kids to rub, pet, play, sleep with the dog ALL begginner obedience (sit/no/here/down) needs to come from you. Not because they are kids, but because if the command is given, it needs to be reinforced and kids typically just keep saying "sit max, sit max, sit max...... Lastly, I would say all retriever work should be done by you or with you closely supervising for the same reasons. You will control the pup with a check cord and make him return whereas a kiddo will not be as forceful and let him go lay down and chew.

Just my .02 cents that's worth about .005 cents

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: nogeese] #1798018 11/02/10 07:26 PM
T
Three Shot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: nogeese
Your fine... as long as you want him/her to be a family dog then there shouldnt be any issue, I would suggest that you tell everyone that YOU and only YOU are the going to be "alpha" in that dogs life and the pup will do great. I have a 6yo and a 13 (now 14) year old... And they taught the pup a few usless tricks but it kinda endeered the dog to the kids, and now I think they love the dog more than they love me.....

Well at least I can be "alpha" to someone in the house... blush

Thanks for all the quick replies, helps to put my mind at ease!

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: Judd] #1798022 11/02/10 07:28 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
That's funny Judd, My dog does the same thing.

Nogeese- I made that mistake with my first lab with it sleeping in our bed for all its life but will not allow the new dog in a bed or on furniture. I can't deal with a 75 lb partition between me and my wife in bed, my wife only weighs 100 lbs so sometimes she would get stuck under the sheets due to the dog.

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: nogeese] #1798028 11/02/10 07:31 PM
M
mwaites Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
so I pull out the whistle and give him a peep peep... and Dude barks!!!!
few min later I give the single "quack" to a gaddie and she barks again!!! we went through this routiene about 4 or 5 times til she realized that she needs to be quite while I am calling...

Maybe Dude was trying to tell you that you can't call and to shut up Knucklehead.????

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: mwaites] #1798035 11/02/10 07:36 PM
T
Three Shot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: mwaites
few min later I give the single "quack" to a gaddie and she barks again!!! we went through this routiene about 4 or 5 times til she realized that she needs to be quite while I am calling...

Maybe Dude was trying to tell you that you can't call and to shut up Knucklehead.????

rofl

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: mwaites] #1798168 11/02/10 08:08 PM
N
nogeese Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N

I learned from you cletus!

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: nogeese] #1798332 11/02/10 08:41 PM
M
mwaites Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

I learned from you cletus!

Well that explains it.

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: mwaites] #1805364 11/04/10 09:04 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Something you overlooked? Hell for you to be able to look over something you must have been standing on a big rock AND on your tippy toes

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: wlgorman] #1805678 11/04/10 10:28 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
My question....is there a way for a guy to train a dog not to roll in poop? grin

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: Judd] #1805707 11/04/10 10:43 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: Judd
My question....is there a way for a guy to train a dog not to roll in poop? grin

you too huh? My chocolate does that with cow poo, drives me nuts bang

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: TreeBass] #1806411 11/05/10 02:32 AM
R
R.G.C. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: TreeBass
Originally Posted By: Judd

you too huh? My chocolate does that with cow poo, drives me nuts bang

Well it's a chocolate that is your problem. up Get a black dawg and that will solve all your problems. banana2 lizard woot stir

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: R.G.C.] #1806448 11/05/10 02:40 AM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I was actually messing with wlg...my dog is smarter than that rofl Sorry TB grin

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: Judd] #1807052 11/05/10 01:35 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Yeah I think he learned right after when I took him to the water and fully dunked him about 15 times.

BTW Judd my dog retrieves birds...just saying....

Re: something that I overlooked Opening morning [Re: wlgorman] #1807099 11/05/10 01:52 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
rofl

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide