Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
For all you CHL guys #1793826 11/01/10 04:09 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Any good suggestions on pocket sized 9mm?
Just took the class this weekend and sending in the paperwork now.

Before suggesting things, please keep in mind:
1. No Taurus, Hi Point, or other crappy manufacturer suggestions of any sort. If you have to constantly defend your firearm to everyone, then I don't want to know about it. Everyone has the their opinions, so I'm entitled to mine. However: I would like to hear from Kel Tec guys, if any.
2. I do mean something in a 9mm. Don't want to do a caliber argument here either.
3. VERY curious is anyone carries the XD or Glock sub compact or a Sig P250.

Pros, cons, and any other info will be much appreciated.

thx in advance,
yong

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Korean Redneck] #1793857 11/01/10 04:17 PM
T
Tx Deer Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
NOOOOOO 9mm, Look there is a reason 95% of law enforcement no longer carry 9mm side arms! They have HORRIBLE knock down power! If you are in a situation that requires you to pull the trigger do you want a gun that will knock an attacker on their [censored] with one shot? or a pea shooter that unless you hit them in the heart or the head will only piss them off! go with a compact Smith & Wesson 8 shot 45acp.

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Korean Redneck] #1793873 11/01/10 04:21 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Are you wanting pocket carry?
or just a subcompact?

My take with pocket carry (in a pocket holster) with things like a PM9 don't work as well as a jframe for pocket carry as the back of the slide gets hung up when you are trying to draw.

Personally, I find I can carry my 1911 as easy in an IWB holster as easily as a Glock, XD, whatever, and if I am going to be putting on a gun belt and a holster, I might as well carry the one I shoot the best (high cap 9mm Wilson Combat Spec Ops)

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Korean Redneck] #1793914 11/01/10 04:32 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
For comfort I would check into the Kahr pm9 for its slimness and accuracy.
Remember the weapon is for emergency operation and not full blown gun battles. 9mm with the right bullet will do great.
Plus a weapon of that size will allow you to stay on target and be more comfortable to shoot.

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: ccoker] #1793924 11/01/10 04:35 PM
K
KC Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
K
XD or Baby Glock will be too small for actual pocket carry. Hands down the best "pocket" gun I ever owned was the Kahr PM9. It shot well, carried even better, and I could hide it in the front pocket of my jeans in a Desantis Nemesis holster. I also carried the Kel Tec PF9 for a while- it was a great gun, affordable, reliable, and accurate, but it was a tad too tall to fit comfortably in my pocket.

You might consider a J-frame revolver, they have long been the king of pocket carry, and for good reason.

And I'll second the motion that if you wear an un-tucked shirt, IWB is far superior. Pocket carry is ok, but your gun will get cruddy, if you sweat it will rust, and it's actually a pretty slow draw. It's better than nothing though...

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: ccoker] #1793928 11/01/10 04:35 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
If I was going for a new 9mm I would look at the Kimber or Springer compacts.
Plastic gun my first choice would be HK USP. Cheaper gun would be the XD.

Have you ever owned a Taurus, or just lumping it in because of what you have heard? For the price I do not believe there is another in its class. I have had a couple and honestly felt they were decent guns. Fit and finish was great.

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Chopped54] #1793956 11/01/10 04:43 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
XD's a great gun, I personaly am not fond of them becasue of the grip safety. Glock is another time tested well favored side arm. coming from a Die Hard Sig Loyalist, do not buy the P250 until you shoot one, there just a gun you will love or hate.

That being said, none of the above are pocket guns, you would be better suited with a good pancake or IWB holster.

As mentioned if you want pocket carry look into some good revolvers, several have mentioned the J-frame but don't overlook the Ruger LCR either its a great carry revolver, even with stout 357 magnum loads its a breeze to shoot.

Certified Glock Armorer - Because my Sig Sauers Don't Fail.
"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Chopped54] #1793977 11/01/10 04:47 PM
M
mjohnson6565 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
PM9 is a nice little guns however "pocket carry" needs to be defined more clearly. Cargo pants etc it will do fine however in dress slacks or most jeans it's simply just too big.

** The size difference between a PM9 and P238 is not much but it makes a huge difference in pocket carry.

**My recommendation is to go with IWB carry. That way no matter the situation the gun is always in the same place, no need to determine where your gun is when you need it.

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: mjohnson6565] #1794116 11/01/10 05:37 PM
B
Brandon123 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
"2. I do mean something in a 9mm. Don't want to do a caliber argument here either."

and the first rattle out of the box...the caliber argument!!!

bang

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Brandon123] #1794136 11/01/10 05:44 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
some famous training / write dude said:
"American's love to talk about 45s, shoot 9mm and carry 38s"

a hammerless j frame is hard to beat from a pure reliability factor
tiny pocket autos are notoriously finicky (though the PM9 ran flawlessly)

it can be fired from inside a coats pocket or through a purse, can be pressed up against someone and still fire where a semi can be forced out of battery

my jframe with a ct laser grip is easy to always have with me...

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: ccoker] #1794220 11/01/10 06:12 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Chopped,
I have shot some of Taurus semis and haven't liked any of them. One even nearly came off the frame.

Caliber-wise, I know there are many out there that believe the 9mm is not good enough. This weekend, the cop who did my CHL class recent went through a ballistics class with Speer and Barnes. He was convinced the 9mm, in a good quality hp, does just as much damage as a 40cal and only slightly less than a 45. He said also the 380 was far behind the 9mm in terms of stopping power.
You can believe it or not, but I think that only reaffirmed what I always thought.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Tx Deer Hunter] #1794300 11/01/10 06:35 PM
O
Old_Town Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: Tx Deer Hunter
NOOOOOO 9mm, Look there is a reason 95% of law enforcement no longer carry 9mm side arms! They have HORRIBLE knock down power! If you are in a situation that requires you to pull the trigger do you want a gun that will knock an attacker on their [censored] with one shot? or a pea shooter that unless you hit them in the heart or the head will only piss them off! go with a compact Smith & Wesson 8 shot 45acp.

Where did you hear this? Here's what wikipedia says.....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9x19mm_Parabellum

The 9x19mm Parabellum (abbreviated 9mm, 9x19mm or 9x19) cartridge was designed by Georg Luger and introduced in 1902 by the German weapons manufacturer Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM) for their Luger semi-automatic pistol.[5] For this reason, it is commonly called the 9mm Luger cartridge, differentiating it from the also-popular 9mm Makarov and 9mm Browning cartridges.

The book Cartridges of the World stated in 2006, the 9x19mm Parabellum is "the world's most popular and widely used military handgun cartridge."[6]

The name Parabellum is derived from the Latin: Si vis pacem, para bellum ("If you seek peace, prepare for war"), which was the motto of DWM.

In addition to being used by over 60% of police in the U.S., Newsweek credits 9x19 pistol sales with making semi-automatic pistols more popular than revolvers.[7] The popularity of this cartridge can be attributed to the widely held conviction that it is highly effective in police and self-defense use.[8] This cartridge has been shown capable of imparting remote wounding effects known as hydrostatic shock

Last edited by Old_Town; 11/01/10 06:44 PM.
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Old_Town] #1794328 11/01/10 06:44 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
good quality 9 is extremely effective
almost every firearms trainer these days has switched to 9mm due to the effectiveness of current ammo, fast followup shots and affordable ammo to practice with

self defense is NOT hunting where we believe in the ethical "one shot"

I can put 4-5 shots from a 9 faster and in a tighter group that I can put 2-3 from a 45 or a 40..

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Old_Town] #1794419 11/01/10 07:09 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Old_Town
Originally Posted by Tx Deer Hunter

Where did you hear this? Here's what wikipedia says.....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9x19mm_Parabellum

The 9x19mm Parabellum (abbreviated 9mm, 9x19mm or 9x19) cartridge was designed by Georg Luger and introduced in 1902 by the German weapons manufacturer Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM) for their Luger semi-automatic pistol.[5] For this reason, it is commonly called the 9mm Luger cartridge, differentiating it from the also-popular 9mm Makarov and 9mm Browning cartridges.

The book Cartridges of the World stated in 2006, the 9x19mm Parabellum is "the world's most popular and widely used military handgun cartridge."[6]

The name Parabellum is derived from the Latin: Si vis pacem, para bellum ("If you seek peace, prepare for war"), which was the motto of DWM.

In addition to being used by over 60% of police in the U.S., Newsweek credits 9x19 pistol sales with making semi-automatic pistols more popular than revolvers.[7] The popularity of this cartridge can be attributed to the widely held conviction that it is highly effective in police and self-defense use.[8] This cartridge has been shown capable of imparting remote wounding effects known as hydrostatic shock

People would change there tune if they where actually shot with a 9MM, with lets say a Gold Dot or Critical defense round. Much less a RBCD or Glaser that would put a baseball size wound chanel in there chest.

Lets ask an Expert flag , Mr. Navy Seal What do you think about 9MM

Last edited by Psychosmurf; 11/01/10 07:17 PM.

"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Tx Deer Hunter] #1794459 11/01/10 07:24 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I dont recommend a 9mm. 40 and up. Keep the 9mm if you just want to piss em off and not stop em. look at the Glocks

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: 7mag] #1794460 11/01/10 07:24 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
BTW, yeah we don't use them at all. Ours are 40s and 45s

[Linked Image]
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: ccoker] #1794462 11/01/10 07:25 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ccoker
almost every firearms trainer these days has switched to 9mm due to the effectiveness of current ammo, fast followup shots and affordable ammo to practice with

I can put 4-5 shots from a 9 faster and in a tighter group that I can put 2-3 from a 45 or a 40..

Yeah and your going to need 4 plus shots to bring him down

[Linked Image]
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Tx Deer Hunter] #1794722 11/01/10 08:36 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

rofl yea right. Use good ammo and 9mm is fine all day long. We hunt hogs with 9mm, if it will kill them it will kill a person better. I will take 17 rounds in my Glock 19 over a 8 round 45 all day long.

In addition all the kabooms that have happened in Glocks are .40 calibers, the unsupported chamber thing. And I wouldn't base my opinion on what law enforcement carry, alot of politics at play.

Last edited by DallasShootingSupplies; 11/01/10 08:39 PM.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: 7mag] #1794734 11/01/10 08:40 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: 7mag

You will if you shoot like most cops do in the headlines we see. One properly aimed shot will kill a human all day long, we kill metric tons of hogs with subsonic 9mm with one shot from a SBR'ed Colt AR.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: Brandon123] #1794745 11/01/10 08:43 PM
C
cswilder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Brandon123
"2. I do mean something in a 9mm. Don't want to do a caliber argument here either."

bang

Hooray for the internet. 1st reply and 1/2 the thread is specifically the subject the OP did not want to discuss. Unfortunately there are just too few gun forum threads on the 9mm vs .45 already so this one has to host further discussion on this dead horse topic from hell.

To the OP,

I have a PM9 and find it to be an excellent carry gun, but it really only works for pocket carry in cargo shorts or khakis. In jeans it's still too big for my taste. I finally just gave up and carry a Kahr P380 in the pocket almost exclusively.

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: cswilder] #1794754 11/01/10 08:46 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: cswilder
Originally Posted By: Brandon123

bang

Hooray for the internet. 1st reply and 1/2 the thread is specifically the subject the OP did not want to discuss. Unfortunately there are just too few gun forum threads on the 9mm vs .45 already so this one has to host further discussion on this dead horse topic from hell.

To the OP,

I have a PM9 and find it to be an excellent carry gun, but it really only works for pocket carry in cargo shorts or khakis. In jeans it's still too big for my taste. I finally just gave up and carry a Kahr P380 in the pocket almost exclusively.

Hey I was nice and posted my answer to his question first.
then defended what he wanted in the second one to somebody who started the caliber aurgument. Gold Star for Nick clap

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: cswilder] #1794756 11/01/10 08:46 PM
C
cswilder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Also, I should add that the only 9mm considered pocketable by most people I have heard from is the Rorhbaugh R9 which costs about a grand.

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #1794779 11/01/10 08:51 PM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies
Originally Posted By: 7mag

You will if you shoot like most cops do in the headlines we see. One properly aimed shot will kill a human all day long, we kill metric tons of hogs with subsonic 9mm with one shot from a SBR'ed Colt AR.

A. BURN rofl
B. I'm glad somebody else had the balls, to say COPS are the worlds worst about practicing and maintaining Firearms.cheers

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: cswilder] #1794781 11/01/10 08:52 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I started to post that as a good one.. but the price scares most people away...

Re: For all you CHL guys [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #1794791 11/01/10 08:53 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I carry an XD sub and love it. Mine is a .40 but the dimensions are the same. The grip is comfortable enough that I can shoot all day at the range without having my hand hurt. It's very easy to conceal. Don't listen to the gripes about the palm safety. It's in a spot where you'd have to depress it anyways to shoot and has no resistance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide