Forums46
Topics539,723
Posts9,753,191
Members87,182
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1758810 10/19/10 03:39 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Drove 2 hours got out of the vehicle, ready to load my gun. NO AMMO

Old Soldier
Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1758875 10/19/10 04:06 PM
C
C-Jags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
walked half a mile to my blind. fell asleep till about 6:30. woke up. sat for about 20 and saw 2 does. got my rifle out reached in my pocket...... and found no bullets. i had acquaintances in HS that got shot carrying a loaded gun into the field and I never load till I get into the blind because of it. bit me in the butt that day.

i just told everybody i didn't see anything.

just sunday i went out hunting w/ some friends and one guy carried all the ammo. when we divied it out i was missing a box of remington heavy dove load 12 gauge..... but there was an extra box of remington heavy dove load 20 gauge. i searched high and low and found the lone box of 12 gauge left and apparently didn't double check.

Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: C-Jags] #1758911 10/19/10 04:16 PM
C
COWDOG Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
We killed a rattle snake in my ground blind Friday afternoon before Rifle season. Saturday morning I walk to my blind in the dark. I open the door and bend down to crawl through it.
This was a hand me down blind. For some reason the the blind door was only 3 feet tall so you had to bend over and crawl to get into it. As I leaned over I felt something hit my boot with a sudden “SSSSS” sound.
I immediately thought it was another rattle bug and threw my rifle down and jumped back quickly.
It then hit me...I had stuffed my coffee mug in the front chest pocket of my coveralls. As I leaned over I was spilling coffee all over my feet thinking it was a snake.
As the sun came up I realized I had broke my scope. Thanks the deer gods I didn’t see anything that morning.

"If I die in Dallas, drag my cold, dead body back to Fort Worth"
Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1758987 10/19/10 04:36 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Where to begin...

I got a new shotgun when I was 13, Browning SxS, 20 gauge. Rabbit hunting at the farm, cottontail ran under some old farm implement - I thought...piece of cake. So I laid on the ground on my belly, pointed the shotgun and pulled the trigger - white light, pain, blood and me wondering what the heck!? Never thought about aiming from the butt of the gun. Got a nice black eye and cut above my eye. Got the rabbit, though!

Couple of years ago I bought some upland pants off ebay. Looked good enough when I got them, so no concerns. Put them on and went to preserve to release the birds for guided hunt. First bird I dizzied, bent over to plant the birds under the grass and rrriippp! Those pants ripped from the bottom of the zipper, through the crotch and up to the waistband in the back - no spare clothes with me. Seems those cheap ebay pants had a little dry rot. (Good thing I had clean underwear on...) Hunters were waiting at the lodge. So I used the old faithful duct tape patch through the crotch and up the back. That stuff attaches to hair pretty good - ouch. I told the story to the hunters and told them they could laugh for 5 minutes and then I didn't want to hear anymore of it! So I'm out front for 3 hrs with duct taped pants and 4 hunters following me all over the place. They gave me enough tip money to buy some new pants, but it was a little embarassing.

Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: DoubleB20] #1759015 10/19/10 04:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
Where to begin...

I got a new shotgun when I was 13, Browning SxS, 20 gauge. Rabbit hunting at the farm, cottontail ran under some old farm implement - I thought...piece of cake. So I laid on the ground on my belly, pointed the shotgun and pulled the trigger - white light, pain, blood and me wondering what the heck!? Never thought about aiming from the butt of the gun. Got a nice black eye and cut above my eye. Got the rabbit, though!

Damn that shotgun is like 80 years old now grin

You have no excuse not to have good upland pants up

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1759038 10/19/10 04:56 PM
C
C-Jags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Quote:

i also forgot the first time i shot a .243. Nobody told me to hold tight it to my shoulder. Still have the scar above my eye.

Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: C-Jags] #1759082 10/19/10 05:16 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
I took my old Brittany to the Matador ranch when he was 2 years old, it was my first time there & my dogs first attempt at wild Quail, he / we hunted hard all morning with no Quail, so we decided to take a late lunch break & go check out one more area, we get out of the truck & the first thing I hear are quail whistling in the distance, I let ol J.R. out, and head in that direction, we get about 100 yds from the truck & he locks up right on the edge of a huge canyon (I'm pumped, it's his first wild birds!) I walk up, the birds fly (across the canyon of course) and my gun was not loaded, I did get a shell in & got a single late flyer. I was too tired to even attempt to go after those birds, but we did get into more birds the next day.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: Ramball36] #1759107 10/19/10 05:24 PM
J
J.R. Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Too many to mention, but nothing real embarrassing in front of others, as I normally hunt alone. Can't count how many times I've forgotten flashlights, ammo, knives, gloves, binos, etc.

I think my worst was when I was 17 yrs. old. I positioned myself on a 25 ft. high bluff overlooking a creekbed and cluster of Oaks in Sterling County. Just after sunup, I see the biggest buck I've ever seen at the time coming practically right under me. Eeeaaase the hammer back on the '94 30-30, level off on him...and my Casio watch double-beeps letting me know it's 7:00 a.m.

Lost the buck and destroyed a perfectly good Casio that day. As fate would have it, it was a full 20 years before I saw another buck that big on our place.

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: J.R.] #1761084 10/20/10 03:32 AM
R
redfred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
When I was about 13, my dad took me hunting. On Saturday afternoon, he showed me a clearing that I could cover by sitting down behind some mesquite bushes. I got bored and walked around until I came upon a dry creekbed that make a 4 foot cliff on one side. I found out that if I stood at the bottom of the wash, The ground was at about eye level, and I could see most of the clearing while only my head was above ground. It was like my own personal foxhole.
We didn't see any deer that day, so we came back Sunday morning. Overnight, we had a blue Norther blow in with a 40 degree temperature drop and an inch of rain. In the dark predawn, I found my way to my hidey-hole and jumped off the 4 foot drop like a commando. Unfortunately, the dry creekbed was now about 8" deep ice-cold water. My boots filled up, and I was miserable.
To make matters worse, I never saw a deer.
Later, I climbed into a tree, and sat on a limb. When it was time to go, I still hadn't seen a deer, but there was a rabbit about 50 yards in front of me, at the base of a small tree. I decided that I didn't want to go home empty-handed, so I took a shot at the bunny. I was a little low, and the bullet plowed into the ground directly below the rabbit's head, and blasted the roots of the tree. The 10 foot tree fell over like a lumberjack had chopped it down. It took me a while to live that one down.

Alcohol,Tobacco, and Firearms. Should not be a government bureau. Should be a department store.
Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: redfred] #1761289 10/20/10 04:54 AM
K
KennyLee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I'll go ahead and say that what I did shouldn't be tried by others, but it was fun. I didn't end up feeling all that "dumb" but a different ending would have changed that.

At the very end of last year I had borrowed a rifle from a friend as I was considering buying one just like it. The season was basically over and I was really just hoping to pop some hogs or maybe a spike. It was extremely cold and I didn't make it in the stand very long that day. I think it was in the teens at the warmest and I was hunting out of a tripod.

I got out and started driving around and wanted to fire this rifle. It's a very nice .257 Weatherby and I thought I'd go set up a target somewhere. As I was driving to the area where I typically sight in my guns, I went across a tank damn and noticed that the ice looked very thick. Curiousity got to me and I decided to see how thick it was.

First I threw a few rocks, but all they did was bounce. As I was standing at the back of my truck, I noticed a case of mini-propane cylinders that you use for a lantern or a space heater. Then the idea just jumped out at me.

So I took the first propane can and threw it out on the ice. It bounced and skidded about 100 or so yards out. I got out the buddies rifle, braced myself on the hood on the truck, and fired for the bottom. The direct hit sent the cylinder maybe 150 feet in the air and blew a pretty good hole in the ice.

It was so much fun I needed to do it again.

I threw the second cylinder out on the ice, it bounced a bit more, and only made it maybe 75 yards out. Again, I lined up on the hood of the truck and fired. I looked up to see where this cylinder was flying, but didn't immediately see it. Thankfully, as I lowered my eyes, I saw the green can flying at my at a high rate of speed. I ducked behind the truck as it flew just over the front of the hood, hitting a dead mesquite tree behind me, and knocking a probably 4-6 inch thick dead limb out of the tree and to the ground.

Obviously, that could have ended poorly several different ways, whether it hit me, the truck, or both.

Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: KennyLee] #1761299 10/20/10 05:03 AM
M
mustafa Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
probably the dumbest thing of done hunting was spending 5 years on a lease with people i couldnt stand.

Team Barbacoa Pro Staff.
Dallas Safari Club Life Member
Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: Txduckman] #1781327 10/27/10 04:59 PM
S
sradeerhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Days after reading about all the hunting blunders on this thread, I forget my release at home. Thankfully I had a backup, albeit, so old I think the Indians used the same release.

A bad day hunting is better than a good day doing anything else.
Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: sradeerhunter] #1782105 10/27/10 08:30 PM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
It wasn't one that I did but had to help FIX. Couple Saturdays ago, took a short drive in the area (way out in the country) and came down a FM road to see black cows EVERYWHERE. It was almost dark. We see the gate they came pouring out of, some duly dodge parked there but the gate WIDE OPEN.

We call the landowner(friend of ours) and I look over to see 2 camo clad hunters HIDING in the treeline. Well that now pizzed me off, we managed to get the cows in (almost got rattle snake bit too) just as the landowner came up and thanked us big time.

We left as he proceed to walk over the the hunters (who FINALLY came out of hiding). Im sure a big ARSE chewing came shortly. So I hope they felt REALLY DUMB for not closing the gate to a pasture with cows right there.

I believe common sense well tell anyone that IF the gate is closed and locked to AT LEAST close it back while you are in there.

Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: MaggieMTx] #1787837 10/29/10 04:46 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
My wife and I had a store in a small West Texas community several years years ago. A group of hunters from the DFW area pulled in the afternoon before the season opened and began to stock up on "supplies" fom the vault. I noticed that one fellow kept wandering around the store, obviously looking for something. Asked him if I could help. Turned out that he was looking for the ATM machine. Had $5 and change in his pocket. Broke the news to him that the our town's bank was closed..had been for 50 years or so but he could backtrack 10 miles to the next town and find an ATM. Out the door he and a couple of his buddies went. The way they were razzing him, it probably was a long 10 miles. Half hour later, same group shows back up. This time, he had plenty of cash. As they checked out, one of the guys asked to purchase a hunting license. Again I broke the bad news. Backtrack 20 miles. This time to nearest Wal-Mart. The groans probably spooked every deer in our part of the county.

Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1787843 10/29/10 04:50 PM
T
TooLow Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter
Drove 2 hours got out of the vehicle, ready to load my gun. NO AMMO

Oh man I've been there and done that also no ammo. Had to drive to Stephenville.

Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: aeb] #1787844 10/29/10 04:51 PM
T
TooLow Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: aeb
My wife and I had a store in a small West Texas community several years years ago. A group of hunters from the DFW area pulled in the afternoon before the season opened and began to stock up on "supplies" fom the vault. I noticed that one fellow kept wandering around the store, obviously looking for something. Asked him if I could help. Turned out that he was looking for the ATM machine. Had $5 and change in his pocket. Broke the news to him that the our town's bank was closed..had been for 50 years or so but he could backtrack 10 miles to the next town and find an ATM. Out the door he and a couple of his buddies went. The way they were razzing him, it probably was a long 10 miles. Half hour later, same group shows back up. This time, he had plenty of cash. As they checked out, one of the guys asked to purchase a hunting license. Again I broke the bad news. Backtrack 20 miles. This time to nearest Wal-Mart. The groans probably spooked every deer in our part of the county.

Great story here aeb

Re: Dumbest you've ever felt while hunting? [Re: TooLow] #1788211 10/29/10 07:25 PM
J
Jacob Z Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Last year on the day after thanksgiving me and my brother went hunting on our land that is 15 mins. away. We were almost there when i looked in the back seat and realized our guns were missing. Had to turn around and get them. My dad and grandpa laughed and joked about than. Went back hunting and ended up shooting a 10 pointer. Went from bad to good.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide