Print Thread
More AR Questions #1758556 10/19/10 02:12 PM
H
Hideandseek Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
is there a place out there where I can find information on ARs like, Gas Block, what does it do, there are differnt types, what makes one more useful than another. Charging Handles, there are different types what make one better than the other. I here talk of spring mods. why and what are the benefits. I guess these would all be mofification questions but I plan on making a purchase first of the year and want to build up my knowledge.

thanks

Proud Dad of Lcpl Max
3rd LAR, USMC
Back on USA soil!
Re: More AR Questions [Re: Hideandseek] #1758564 10/19/10 02:15 PM
D
dieselgeek Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D

Re: More AR Questions [Re: dieselgeek] #1758567 10/19/10 02:16 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: dieselgeek

This for sure.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: More AR Questions [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #1758626 10/19/10 02:40 PM
H
Hideandseek Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
thanks guys, does the same info apply for an AR10? I assume it would.

thanks again!

Proud Dad of Lcpl Max
3rd LAR, USMC
Back on USA soil!
Re: More AR Questions [Re: Hideandseek] #1758730 10/19/10 03:18 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Yes, thats under the AR variants section. First lesson is that there is only one AR10, its made my Armalite. All the other 308's have there own names, LR308 etc. Just saving you from ridicule if you ask about a DPMS AR10 for example. The tech sections are excellent on ar15com. I have been an active member there for years and am shooting with about 20 members from there saturday at Tiger Valley.

Last edited by DallasShootingSupplies; 10/19/10 03:23 PM.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: More AR Questions [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #1758865 10/19/10 04:00 PM
H
Hideandseek Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
yes I knew, but thanks for the heads up. I may be contacting you around the the first of the year to see what you might be able to do for me.

Last edited by Hideandseek; 10/19/10 04:01 PM.

Proud Dad of Lcpl Max
3rd LAR, USMC
Back on USA soil!
Re: More AR Questions [Re: Hideandseek] #1759005 10/19/10 04:41 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Sounds good bud. I beat anyones price.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Re: More AR Questions [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #1759302 10/19/10 06:38 PM
Brandon972 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The gas block slides over the barrel and lines up with a small hole in teh barrel that shoots the gasses back down the gas tube into the carrier key to cycle the BCG. Low profile gas blocks are often used so you can cover it with a free float rail for a cleaner look and feel. The front sight post you see on a lot of stock rifles performs the same function. There are flip up sight gas blocks, railed gas blocks and even adjustible gas blocks but its purpose is simply forcing the gsses to the BCG to cycle the BCG and eject the spent cartridge.

There are a couple differnt charging handles out there that allow you to charge the handle one handed and make it more accessable when using a scope. One quick and easy upgrade is a Badger Tach Latch that can be installed on your exsisting charging handle. They are larger than the stock latch and work well. Bravo Company has an excellent charging handle that is actually designed for charging with one hand and teh roll pin holding the actual latch in is postitioned so that there is less stress on the roll pin. There are several other types but these are the two I like the most. Check out Bravo Company website and you can see most of the charging handles avalible.

When you talk about spring mods are you refering to the buffer spring ? If so your main differences are actually going to be your actual buffer not teh spring. Although there are sveral springs and hydraulic buffers out there if your wanting to really fine tune your ejection.

Lots of really good info on the AR forum but you do have to weed through some BS from time to time .

Re: More AR Questions [Re: Brandon972] #1767034 10/22/10 02:22 AM
V
Victor Six Bravo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
V
The technical sections of AR15.com are the only parts worth it, but be aware there's a lot of BS floating around too.

Former USAF Security Forces

"I could stand to hear a little more" - Jayne
Re: More AR Questions [Re: Victor Six Bravo] #1769321 10/22/10 10:56 PM
B
Bily Lovec Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: Victor Six Bravo
The technical sections of AR15.com are the only parts worth it, but be aware there's a lot of BS floating around too.

yea,
I tend to stick to m4carbine.net for the no bull approach

Re: More AR Questions [Re: Bily Lovec] #1774080 10/25/10 03:40 AM
H
Hideandseek Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
what are yalls opinions on gas piston vs. direct impingement? from what I been reading it is kinda like ford vs. chevy.

Proud Dad of Lcpl Max
3rd LAR, USMC
Back on USA soil!
Re: More AR Questions [Re: Hideandseek] #1774567 10/25/10 01:32 PM
O
Old_Town Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: Hideandseek
what are yalls opinions on gas piston vs. direct impingement? from what I been reading it is kinda like ford vs. chevy.

DI is the only option for me. Piston guns are great for extended full auto sessions in less than desirable conditions. They do run cooler and cleaner.

Most shooters (me included) will never see the benefit of a piston system. My DI guns run 100% . When maintained properly the DI system is bulletproof in terms of reliability.

My main concern about piston guns is the fact they use proprietary parts that may or may not be available 10-20 years from now. The DI system is standardized and parts will always be obtainable and cheap. With $50 worth of repair parts one can keep a DI system running til the end times.

Re: More AR Questions [Re: Old_Town] #1774610 10/25/10 01:56 PM
Ross Precision Gunworks Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
+1 on DI.

Chuck Ross

"Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas"

"Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

United States Marines
Re: More AR Questions [Re: Old_Town] #1775070 10/25/10 04:51 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Old_Town

DI is the only option for me. Piston guns are great for extended full auto sessions in less than desirable conditions. They do run cooler and cleaner.

Most shooters (me included) will never see the benefit of a piston system. My DI guns run 100% . When maintained properly the DI system is bulletproof in terms of reliability.

My main concern about piston guns is the fact they use proprietary parts that may or may not be available 10-20 years from now. The DI system is standardized and parts will always be obtainable and cheap. With $50 worth of repair parts one can keep a DI system running til the end times.

100% agree.

The only piston I intend on buying the SCAR H in 308, mine is on order, but god knows how long until it gets here. LOL

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Re: More AR Questions [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #1775329 10/25/10 07:10 PM
O
Old_Town Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

100% agree.

The only piston I intend on buying the SCAR H in 308, mine is on order, but god knows how long until it gets here. LOL

The SCAR Heavy looks promising and will probably sell reasonably well in the niche market. I don't think the SCAR platform will ever really catch on for civilians.

Re: More AR Questions [Re: Old_Town] #1775610 10/25/10 08:59 PM
D
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

100% agree.

The SCAR Heavy looks promising and will probably sell reasonably well in the niche market. I don't think the SCAR platform will ever really catch on for civilians.

The H will sell very very well, especially since its used by the military now. Meaning more innovation and products will be coming down the pipe, caliber conversions etc. Even the regular SCAR is a very good seller, heck the second my suppliers get them in they are gone.

In addition the SCAR H will be around 2500ish. People will pay this for a dependable piston system with ergonomics that are 10 times better than a DI AR. The SCAR is the only gun I will pay that kind of cash for, most other 308 autos in that price range are DI. Thats why I can't break down and buy an OBR personally, its just another AR. You can trick out an Armalite AR10 to be just as accurate as these other guns at half the price.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide