Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,477
Posts9,737,489
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke #1760254 10/20/10 12:43 AM
B
Backwoods Tactical Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Here it goes ya'll, I'm thinking of starting up an outdoors store. The focus of it would be just hunting. We would be building custom stands and high racks, tricking out guns to satify a specific need, mixing up our own food plot mixes, etc.. All of our products would be custom made to customer needs so you would be getting exactly what you want and/or need. I guess my big question is, if we can do this at a price that competes with cabelas, ganer mountain, and acedamy, does it sound like a place that you would want to do business. Any feedback is good feedback so let me hear it.

Thanks to all
Backwoods Tactical

Walk by faith and keep your clip full
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Backwoods Tactical] #1760293 10/20/10 12:54 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
you might start out doing that type of business on the side or after hours or on the weekend. that way you get a customer base built up and dont have to sit and wait and hope they come to you. i myself would love to buy from an individual and not a huge chain store. im sure youve done plenty of research on this, that is just my 2 cents. good luck to ya and whatever you decide!

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: TAT] #1760541 10/20/10 01:45 AM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
I agree, I would do the project on the side and keep my day job until I couldn't do both.

[Linked Image]
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Payne] #1760632 10/20/10 02:06 AM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
As long as the prices are competitive I shop at the smaller stores. It's hard to support the little guy on a budget. Customer service is the #1 most important thing to me, one reason why I never shop at Nagel's. Another important thing is product variety, I would much rather go to the store and buy what I need then order online.

Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Varget 7-08] #1760680 10/20/10 02:15 AM
Longhorn95 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: spazycarpenter
As long as the prices are competitive I shop at the smaller stores. It's hard to support the little guy on a budget. Customer service is the #1 most important thing to me, one reason why I never shop at Nagel's. Another important thing is product variety, I would much rather go to the store and buy what I need then order online.

x2

Went to Nagel's 1x and the experience is completely opposite of Dury's, felt like I was inconveniencing them by entering the store. I'll pay extra for the service I receive at Dury's. To bring my little side rant back on point, Customer Service is KING.

Start small like stated, and if you are doing custom builds, be sure to get a portion of the cost up front.

Good luck and do your due diligence and speak with both a cpa and an attorney as well.

Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Longhorn95] #1760696 10/20/10 02:19 AM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: Longhorn95
Originally Posted By: spazycarpenter

x2

Went to Nagel's 1x and the experience is completely opposite of Dury's, felt like I was inconveniencing them by entering the store. I'll pay extra for the service I receive at Dury's. To bring my little side rant back on point, Customer Service is KING.

Hit the nail on the head. I love Dury's very friendly staff and a welcoming environment. The Nagel's staff will walk right passed me as if I don't exist. Just wish Dury's carried more reloading supplies! Going to my .308 from them in a couple of months actually.

Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Varget 7-08] #1760730 10/20/10 02:26 AM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I think we all look for the best quality at the best price. Given equity in that area I look for personal service which is usually better in smaller shops. Start part time and work into it. Good luck

Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Varget 7-08] #1760763 10/20/10 02:33 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Like others have said..I would start it is a side business and keep my day job if I could. Doing the highracks and custom stand is a great idea but you might want to make a prototype blind (4x4, 4x6,6x8 etc) from what you would like to have in a blind to hunt in for people to see and get feedback from on what they want to add or take off of one. Once you have this prototype jig then you can customize it to what ever someone needs. If you start building custom blinds you will have to invent the wheel over and over again. Going to get expensive and time consuming. I do not think you can charge someone for as much time as you would have in each different custom blind when building it without a fixed cost prototype base model to build from and price from. Highracks would be different they would be more customized. I would travel around and look at other hunting stores and see what they have instock and see how they are setup to do business also. It is more of a seasonal business from early summer to Nov. so you will have to have something to keep you busy the rest of the year while you build your business. You will also get bombarded with orders all at the same time if you do nothing but customized blinds.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: stxranchman] #1760809 10/20/10 02:42 AM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
If I'm treated right I'll always go with the local/individual over the corporations.

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Backwoods Tactical] #1760825 10/20/10 02:45 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I think everyone's idea to start off small and build a customer base is dead on. We're not out of this recession and folks are still looking for work or working just to keep up.

The point is this is the toughest time to start any new business, and you're limiting your self by only focusing on hunting, IMO. Which is all the more reason to not rush out and sign a lease or take a loan out to build up inventory to sell.

[Linked Image]
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Hopedale] #1761039 10/20/10 03:22 AM
T
tgravley Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
take it from an self employed remodeler, now is not the time to be jumping head first into something like this!!!

Gravley Construction remodeling custom kitchens,baths and media rooms.
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: tgravley] #1761154 10/20/10 03:51 AM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
I love reloading stuff so that will draw me back plus a good selection of used guns is a big plus.

Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Varget 7-08] #1761537 10/20/10 12:40 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Add a place to get some good BBQ or breakfast tacos and it just might work.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Curtis] #1761539 10/20/10 12:41 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Oh and ice for 89 cents per 20 lbs!

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Curtis] #1761811 10/20/10 02:23 PM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
or just open a Buccee's...

Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Backwoods Tactical] #1762102 10/20/10 03:52 PM
O
oulufinn Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
I would rather do business with a small business owner. The keys are:

Location - Is it convenient for folks to get to it?

Sales people - They had better be friendly and encourage repeat business.. The most knowledgeable person will run off customers if he's a prick to folks who don't know as much as he does.. A less informed, but personable helper will figure out how to help the customer, a jackwagon will run the customers off, no matter how brilliant he is.

Who here has walked in to a gunshop & gotten the stinkeye from the cronies drinking coffee & felt as if you were an inconvenience to the "Expert" working the counter? You don't ever go back to a place like that & repeat customers are the key to nearly ANY successful business.

Do FFL transfers for a reasonable price. (IF you are selling guns..) This gets people in the door & they may buy other stuff, even if you aren't making diddly on their internet gun purchase. This is just how the business has evolved. Get over it & don't treat them like they are your enemy because they found a great deal on the 'net. Some of the bitter jackwagons out there are ensuring they will eventually fail because they're mad at the way things have changed. Be nice. Be helpful. Customers notice that & respond accordingly.

Good Luck! Lots of competition out there. You have to make a customer choose you, over the other guys. Be better.

Also, I wouldn't call it "Tactical", maybe Outdoors instead. It gives a wider, more inclusive feel, IMO.

Last edited by oulufinn; 10/20/10 03:54 PM.

NRA Life Member

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen" ~ Dennis Prager
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Backwoods Tactical] #1762140 10/20/10 04:00 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Find something hunting related that isn't readily available in your immediate area and prominently display it. If there are already 3 places in town selling deer stands and 2 others selling seed, make sure you have something else that they don't sell.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1762177 10/20/10 04:11 PM
B
Bill_OA Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
All good advice mentioned above. At one point I considered a similar idea but pursued something else. Depending on the area you are in you may be able to offer "ranch management" services for folks who own smaller places. I.E. not big enough to employ someone full time, but they still don't want to have to fill feeders and fix fences when they are out there. Could be a good way to stay diverse and make up for the months when you aren't getting business. Offer an annual contract with add ons for major repairs or materials.

Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: oulufinn] #1764429 10/21/10 05:06 AM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

Sales people - They had better be friendly and encourage repeat business.. The most knowledgeable person will run off customers if he's a prick to folks who don't know as much as he does.. A less informed, but personable helper will figure out how to help the customer, a jackwagon will run the customers off, no matter how brilliant he is.

Who here has walked in to a gunshop & gotten the stinkeye from the cronies drinking coffee & felt as if you were an inconvenience to the "Expert" working the counter? You don't ever go back to a place like that & repeat customers are the key to nearly ANY successful business.

This is exactly the reason why I will not do business again with Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth

Last edited by Sirrah243; 10/21/10 05:08 AM.

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Sirrah243] #1764696 10/21/10 01:03 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
We have a local guy here in Odessa that I have known for many years....Love the atmosphere and always try and give him my business, but when it comes to things like ammo and such...
I have to shop Academy or Wal Mart...He can't beat the prices
example, high brass 12g shells
walmart- 10.90
his- 19.99

he is a little high on guns as well, but I always know I can go in there, sit drink a cup of coffee, work on my bow or do whatever.....

So paying a little extra is worth it in the long run.

He is just not sure with Academy being built here in Odessa that he is going to survive much longer...

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #1765261 10/21/10 04:04 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Just dealing with hunting stuff might make it a little tougher. There are some of us diehards out here that will always be looking at and buying hunting stuff all year round, but the regular Joe is more seasonal. January-August might be a little slow.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: BenBob] #1773615 10/25/10 01:10 AM
B
Backwoods Tactical Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks to all for the great advice, i will keep it in my thoughts.

Walk by faith and keep your clip full
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Backwoods Tactical] #1774024 10/25/10 03:15 AM
H
HAWKEYE911 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
One option also is that you might find a decent flea market close to where you live or close to a heavy hunting area or shooting specialty store where you can set up shop on weekends. Also you might rent space from a business that already has a good customer base that doesn't currently offer the items you plan to sell or services you offer such as a shooting range or ammo shop.

Support Your Local Junkyard Dawgs M/C
Re: Need some feedback and comments before I go for broke [Re: Backwoods Tactical] #1776048 10/25/10 11:07 PM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Most I know buy online. A few get together and split the hazmat. You can't compete and make enough to eat on reloading supplies or ammo.

You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win a war by making the other son-of-a-bitch die for his.

Gen. George S. Patton
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide