Page 1 of 2 1 2
Autism #1758120 10/19/10 04:37 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
I was wondering if anyone else on here in some way has been touched by autism, a friend or relative maybe. I am certain few people on THF know that I have Asperger's Syndrome along with my older son. Asperger's is a high-functioning form of autism that hinders our perception of normal social cues among other things. Most of us seem robotic and cold, although we have all the same feelings as neurotypicals they just don't show. Simple facial expressions and body language are difficult, sometimes even impossible for Aspies to understand. The good news about having Aspies is that traditionally we are well above average in general intellect and ingenuity (I always thought that odd), but of course we still suffer trying to learn and apply things in a neurologically typical world. Anyhow, just been wondering this for a while and thought I would ask.

btw- If you have questions or comments please feel absolutely free. Another characteristic of Apies is the lack of being offended.

Re: Autism [Re: Inky Doc] #1758190 10/19/10 05:37 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Grey,
I am usually somewhat private about this outside of those that need to know, but you have opened up, so ok; my 13 year old son has aspergers. I understand it very well. When were you diagnosed? Have you seen a greater awareness in recent years of others understanding it?

Re: Autism [Re: Sniper John] #1758267 10/19/10 11:11 AM
Longhorn95 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Thank you for posting Grey.

Like Sniper, not something I share with many folks, but my 6 year old son is on the high end of the spectrum with an Asperger's diagnosis as well. He is in a normal classroom setting and spends time each week with a smaller group (3) kids to work on his speech and socialization skills.

Re: Autism [Re: Longhorn95] #1758371 10/19/10 12:44 PM
C
chaos Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
A young man that I take hunting with as much as I can has Asperger's.

He takes A lot of ribbing from other kids in school as he is bit of an introvert and has a few ticks. He is also one of the SMARTEST kids I know. Super inquisitive, safety minded and LOVES the outdoors.

I met the young man at one of my kids birthday parties. He Loves playing "Hunting" type video games. I spent a $20 spot that day rather rapidly having him kick my butt repeated on some kind of big game hunts game. All he talked about was going hunting. I started taking him hunting shortly after, with his parents blessing.

The only obstacle we have encountered is his adversion to the report of the weapon. Once he fires a specific gun, he is good with it from that point forward. Anytime we change guns for different game, he takes a bit to get over the fear of the new gun. Just like any other kid I guess.

He is by far the best shot out of any of my hunting buddies and will flat put a limit of dove in the bag faster than any of us.

Going to get him his first Deer this year.

Chaos

...Take a kid huntin, ensures the longevity of our sport fellas......

Last edited by chaos; 10/19/10 12:49 PM.
Re: Autism [Re: chaos] #1758571 10/19/10 02:18 PM
J
jeffnsa Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
my son is lightly autistic, all he cares about is video games and can stand the outdoors for a few minutes at a time. teaching him to shoot is a blast, he has no consept of taking his time to settle in to take a shot, he see it and pulls the trigger quick.

Re: Autism [Re: Sniper John] #1758608 10/19/10 02:32 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Grey,
I am usually somewhat private about this outside of those that need to know, but you have opened up, so ok; my 13 year old son has aspergers. I understand it very well. When were you diagnosed? Have you seen a greater awareness in recent years of others understanding it?

I actually was diagnosed in 2008 after my boy was. I have definitely developed a better understanding of myself and I quit trying to "fit in" now that I know it will never happen. I have a few "tele-friends" with Aspies and they all think I am weird because I have waaaaay more personality than most Aspies. But it really is regurgitated things that I know seem to make people laugh. Most of my friends, which are very few, have learned to deal with it well. I have had way too many people tell me to "work on it" which I find ridiculous. Thats like telling a man with no eyes he needs to work on seeing. I have come to terms with the idea that the world is whatever I want it to be, but I really do have tough times when I think about how much easier my life would have been with a diagnosis at 5 or 15, instead of 35. I honestly don't think people view me as disabled which for the most part I don't care. However, last week in my Chemistry clas there was a question on the test that asked "What might be best suited for such and such...?" I asked the teacher to rephrase the question without the word "might." She just knows that I make good grades and assumes that everything is simple for me eventhough she knows I have Aspies. She asked me why I wanted the question rephrased... "I said I might be hunting right now, but I am not. I might be a giraffe, but I am not. I am a human taking a chemistry test." She then rephrased the question...

So my life is easier now, but sometimes I just want to choke the hell outta someone, which of course people never realize. I tell someone that I am mad and because I am not yelling or whatever they assume that I am not that mad. I just wish people would understand that we pretty much have all the same feelings as others, it just doesn't show.

Re: Autism [Re: Inky Doc] #1758625 10/19/10 02:40 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
Longhorn- I'm sure you know already but the best thing for him is to just keep encouraging him and know that he will do some wonderful things someday. Today's Aspies have such a wonderful opportunity within most education systems. I am glad that he has the support of a good father.

Chaos- That is awesome! I know all Aspies can ask enough questions to bore a physicist, but we love what we learn. Thank you for being such a positive influence in that young man's life.

Jeffnsa- My boy is like that too, but I continually look for alternatives to feed his intellect. I recently started doing simply at-home science experiments and both of my boys love it! I tried turned target shooting into a game for my older son. I also bought some clay pidgeons and just set them on a dirt pile and let him blast them with the 22 Cricket. I guess the like the result of the fired shot more than the shooting.

Re: Autism [Re: Inky Doc] #1759649 10/19/10 08:56 PM
M
mboswell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Wait a minute ,I thought I was the one who had a disability .
Grey just from the time I have been around you, if you hadn't told me, I would never have known.
You just keep on doing your thing and let the others fall where they may .

Re: Autism [Re: mboswell] #1759942 10/19/10 10:54 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
Ha ha, Mike. I actually had my first appt with the MEB doc today. Not sure what I'll be getting but I'll be rated on my right kee, both shoulders and my spine. I'm hoping 30%+ from the army and 70% from the VA.

And thanks for the love, brother. I usually do fine in very small groups where there is not really much true socializing, we were hunting and not discussing typical BS. Thats when I grow very odd to most people. Hope to see you soon.

Re: Autism [Re: Inky Doc] #1763267 10/20/10 10:23 PM
M
mboswell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
LOL MEB , hate those things.
Hunting or not , your good people !

Re: Autism [Re: mboswell] #1765096 10/21/10 03:20 PM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
My 13 year old little brother has severe Autism, and is also a savant in the realm of arithmetic, and algebra.

Re: Autism [Re: Inky Doc] #1765949 10/21/10 07:35 PM
S
steel shot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Over the last five years, my wife and I have become very involved with Autism and Aspergers. My wife works for a company that publishes books and and hold conferences on both Autism and Aspergers.

If you go to www.fhautism.com you will find more info about the company my wife works for. If you would, please go to the about us section and read the note from the president of the company. You will see why he has developed such a passion to help. You will read about his son Alex, who was one of the most thoughtful young men in the world.

Re: Autism [Re: steel shot] #1766417 10/21/10 10:05 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
jensent- Although I am far from severe I definitely have my share of autistic characteristics. One of them being a savant, but probably not wuite like your brother. Most people never know because I avoid talking about those types of things unless I am with close friends. Keep loving him, he loves you back.

Steel shot- That is just too cool! I looked all over that page and am very contented to see that people are helping autists and Aspies so much. Good stuff!

Re: Autism [Re: Inky Doc] #1783874 10/28/10 04:17 AM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Funny this has been mentioned. I have kept "exactly" what I do for a living private on here. I am a Behavioral Specialalist and an Applied Behavioral Analysis Consultant. I write comprehensive curriculums(academics) for dicticts and private schools. Along with behavioral "plans". I am in no way soliciting my services at all and can't take on anymore work. BUT, if any of you need help or have questions, please feel free to PM me and I will help in any way I can. My biggest area of expertise is language and relationship developement through "Verbal Behavior". I taught school for a couple years before aquiring other certs in '97 so I could persue this field agressively. Let me know if I can help in anyway. up

Re: Autism [Re: txcornhusker] #1783941 10/28/10 04:47 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: txcornhusker
Funny this has been mentioned. I have kept "exactly" what I do for a living private on here. I am a Behavioral Specialalist and an Applied Behavioral Analysis Consultant. I write comprehensive curriculums(academics) for dicticts and private schools. Along with behavioral "plans". I am in no way soliciting my services at all and can't take on anymore work. BUT, if any of you need help or have questions, please feel free to PM me and I will help in any way I can. My biggest area of expertise is language and relationship developement through "Verbal Behavior". I taught school for a couple years before aquiring other certs in '97 so I could persue this field agressively. Let me know if I can help in anyway. up

my brothers girlfriend is going into that field. Shes at graduate school right now studying behavioral analysis or something or another.

The girlfriend works at a school/home for austistic kids.
So to the OP, cant say that i know anyone with autsim, but i sure do hear about it a lot.

Re: Autism [Re: txcornhusker] #1783968 10/28/10 05:02 AM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Where have you been man? Hope you are doing well. up

Re: Autism [Re: Greg] #1784002 10/28/10 05:37 AM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yeah Brandon...that's really good she is going into the field.

Doing well Greg. up How you been? Let's get a beer and set up a GTG in Frisco!

Re: Autism [Re: mboswell] #1788031 10/29/10 06:16 PM
F
fishhound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Dang maybee I have Asperger's. You sound just like me Inky Doc. Everyone used to think that I was a snob but I was just a quite kid who didn't respond to other people's gestures.

I absolutely HATE crowds and have to really work at conversations and rarely succeed in keeping them going.

My wife and I have both been thinking that I was probably some type of Autistic growing up. I wonder if my boy is the same. He acts alot like I did at his age. He's more vocal than I was though. We're both super mechanically minded and specific. (Drives my Wife absolutely NUTS)

Re: Autism [Re: fishhound] #1788607 10/29/10 10:09 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
Fishhound, I would really look into getting your boy tested. There were no resources for it when I was a child (I'm 37 now) and no one even really heard of Aspies. There are tons of programs now and resources to make life so much simpler for all kinds of autists. Most people would never have a clue that I have a mental disability and they are always surprised to find out. But I really don't care, because it endears me to those that accept me for who I am. And better yet it makes me very loyal to those people.

Re: Autism [Re: Inky Doc] #1793231 11/01/10 01:07 PM
F
fishhound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
He's only 3 1/2 yrs old. How old do they have to be for accurate testing?

Re: Autism [Re: fishhound] #1794735 11/01/10 08:40 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
Brother, I just don't know the answer to that one. Maybe send txcornhusker a PM. Good luck.

Re: Autism [Re: Inky Doc] #1797605 11/02/10 05:33 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My nephew has mild autism. My brother and his family are doing a walk and raising money for Autism this coming Saturday Nov 6. Here is a link to information on the 2010 Walk for Autism.

Walk for Autism Link

Re: Autism [Re: stinkbelly] #1833424 11/15/10 11:27 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
One of my Great Grandsons is a 4 year old autistic. He's certainly not severe but is kinda disconnected and stubborn as the dickens. He has no "Off Switch". I spent 7 weeks in Seattle this summer helping with him and his 2 year old Brother leading up to his Moms (my Granddaughter) birth of their 3rd child. Dad is a Navigator on a Nuclear sub and the Navy (rude suckers) said he had to go somewhere else instead of being home for the birth.

So, it was up to me. I learned a lot about this condition and a lot about myself. We now Skype each other and have a ball. We are buddies and he tells his Mom to get Grandpa on the computer.

He is now in a special school and is excelling. He will soon have to be changed to another school because he is out running the other Kids. He loves riding the bus to school(very unusual) and has learned to "read". He "read" a book to me last week. He also got into a civilized difference of opinion with his Mom about whether a fish on TV was a dolphin or a shark. These are huge strides forward. We know that he will always have some problems but, Thank God, he is getting help at an early age.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Autism [Re: Dave Davidson] #1833579 11/15/10 01:40 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I
It is always nice to hear neurotypical people connect with autistic people and to know that the autistic ones are making headway in life. Post back when you have discovered something else new and fun with your great grandson, Dave.

Re: Autism [Re: Inky Doc] #1835334 11/15/10 10:34 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Hey, I've done some reading on this. I was amazed to find that 2 or more autistic children can play perfectly with each other and have nothing verbal passing between them. It appears that they can somehow sense each others thoughts.

There is quite a bit of thought that autistics brain just operates faster and perhaps more efficiently than neurotypicals. Thus, when we think they are not getting what we are saying, they have already moved on to the next thought stage(s).

Keeping up with him is a real character builder. Discipline and routine are the only things that help him (and his Mom). However, I would love to visit again soon. His Mom knows that she would have to count Kids to keep me from bringing him back in my bags.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide