Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? #1754532 10/18/10 12:31 AM
J
Jimmy Su Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Hey guys,

I'm in the best hunting area I could imagine. Deer signs everywhere. Few hunters, Tracks, Game trails, droppings, rubs, hell I even found multiple bedding sights.

Today was my first day out bow hunting ever. I don't really have anyone to show me the ropes so I've been reading a ton and practicing my archery in a field behind my house.

I decided to trek to my hunting site instead of parking closer. I followed the bank of a small pond. The reeds were tall and I was worried about snakes, so I stared hurrying and stepping heavily. Well big mistake I didn't think there were any deer nearby. Unfortunately I heard a crash about 60 yards in front of me and saw the flash of a large deer's backside in a small opening along the treeline. The deer gave a long shrill bleat as it escaped likely warning other deer nearby.

In some ways this was a good venture. At least the spot I picked was good and it confirmed I was doing some things right!

I guess my best question is step by step how do you approach your site? How would you explain what I would need to do step by step if I was by your side on my first hunt?

Last edited by Jimmy Su; 10/18/10 12:32 AM.
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: Jimmy Su] #1754544 10/18/10 12:36 AM
Alec Castonguay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Haha welcome to bowhunting. I jump deer almost every time i go into my stands. i tried from all different angles etc. no way you can do it every time. i just started timing it so i get in my stand ATLEAST an hour or more before it gets light to let things calm down. goodluck!

Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: Alec Castonguay] #1754875 10/18/10 02:27 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I go in right as it's breaking day...not b/c I want to, but b/c my wife drags butt in the mornings. I rarely scare deer now going into the stand b/c of the way things are set up, but when I had a nice walk through the woods, I would walk with thick cover next to me. My experiences were if they were close enough to know what you were, then good luck getting them back in, but if they are just spooked by something moving they can hear and somewhat smell, then let them run a little ways and suck in the bottom lip and blow back at them. If they get curious you'll have a little time to get to your stand while they circle downwind to check you out.

Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: Alec Castonguay] #1755276 10/18/10 06:05 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: ACWhiteTail
Haha welcome to bowhunting. I jump deer almost every time i go into my stands. i tried from all different angles etc. no way you can do it every time. i just started timing it so i get in my stand ATLEAST an hour or more before it gets light to let things calm down. goodluck!

x2

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: Jimmy Su] #1755374 10/18/10 11:45 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I imagine everybody spooks deer walking into their stand in the morning. Thay just don't always get the Defcon 4 warning that you did. One thing for sure...if you walk all the way to your stand without spooking a deer, there aren't many deer in your area.

Bowhunting is a mental game. When I spook a deer like that, I either grunt or snort/wheeze at it. They deer may not be buying it but it gives me the option of believing I didn't scare him into another time zone.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #1755809 10/18/10 02:59 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Part of bow hunting is getting close to the game...sometimes too close. From my experience, it is better to try to set up on the edge of locations that you usually see the deer and not travel through the bedding areas or areas with the higher concentration of deer. Let them come to you.

I try to find a "natural" barrier that I can use to my advantage both for accessing the stand and for the wind to carry my scent over while I am on the stand.

Number one factor that I pay the most attention too is the wind. Not only when I am in the stand but also where my scent is going as I walk to it.

The best way to learn is by your mistakes and others. Welcome to bowhunting and the best of luck to you!!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: txshntr] #1756080 10/18/10 04:45 PM
A
andyj9881 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I had a similar exprience this weekend. I got set up really early, about 7:30 two does walked out behind me. I had no idea they were there until they got about 15 yards from me and then spooked. They hopped into the woods and then slowly walked off blowing and snorting. My question is, what do you do then? Is it time to get and move to another spot or should you wait it out? As anyone every spooked some deer and had others show up later?

Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: txshntr] #1756159 10/18/10 05:16 PM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
As already mentioned-try and find the travel way that they use to go to & from the water, and/or the food source. Pick a spot that is down-wind of the travel way you will be hunting over. Stay off the paths that they use! Find, or make, a path to get to your stand that prevents you from crossing over the path that the deer will be using. If you cross their path and they smell you on their path, they are likely to stop using that path.

Approach your stand from down-wind. Get to your stand at least an hour before day-light. Stay in the stand until at least noon, or longer if possible. Bring some food, & water, and something to pee in so that you don't have to get down out of your stand. If you bust a deer on your way to the stand, learn to vocalize like a deer and return their warning call so they think you are a deer. Bring something to read. Bring your cell phone so you can text your family and let them know about the Boone & Crockett deer that is out in front of you that you are about to harvest.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: Jimmy Su] #1756186 10/18/10 05:29 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Quit being such a scairdy cat, walk quieter, get there early sit down, be quiet and be still.

If the place is as good as you make it sound, big deal if you ran one deer off... there should be more in just a little while.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1756456 10/18/10 06:58 PM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
yesterday i put up a new blind at 3 drove some t post in the ground to tie it to and tied it down spent about an hour up there filled the feeder took the tractor back to the house and then came back at 5 with the four wheeler trimmed some trees and had to park the wheeler right behind the blind so i could climb in because i didn't but the steps on yet got settled about 5:30 5:45 feeder goes off 16 deer came in 5 minutes after it went off.

i guess what i'm trying to say is they'll come back after you spook them just don't be any louder when you actually do spook them just get to your spot sit down and shut up

Last edited by redseal; 10/18/10 07:00 PM.

Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: redseal] #1756471 10/18/10 07:03 PM
T
TxBuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Get there earlier. I have spooked many deer, lots of times they come right back. Best bet is just go onto the stand and don't stand there cussin!!! I don't even use a flashlight to get there. Once you become acustomed to hunting an area you can slip around like they do. Good luck

Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: TxBuck] #1757475 10/19/10 01:51 AM
C
Chuck P Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
It sounds like you are in there bedding area. You want to leave that area undisturbed. You want to set up on there feeding areas or put up your own feeders on trails outside of the bedding areas. I also walk in at least an hour or more in the morning before the feeder is going to go off. That way if you do spook deer they will have lots of time to settle down and forget about it. Good luck and take all the lessons you learn from your mistakes and never give up. Good luck! up

Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: TxBuck] #1757505 10/19/10 02:00 AM
J
Jimmy Su Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Wow! I'm surprised at all the responses. I didn't expect this much advice, but I'm glad you guys are sharing with me. I feel better knowing that I spooked a deer. I just wasn't sure as Andyj2881 asked: Should I go ahead an camp my area or should I try to find another spot? Actually looks like Redseal answered that one though.

I don't have a deerstand/treestand atm. I was camping behing some brush, unfortunately right off a deer trail connecting their bedding to water. I'll know to keep off that next time.

I'll also be honest I got there right at daybreak. I'll try to get there earlier next time.

Anyone had success without camping in a stand?

I was thinking of moving up on the bedding area, and trying to get a shot that way. But like Timber Trout said I'll stay away from the bedding area. I'm sure I'll spook them moving up on them.

I'll try to camp out deeper in the woods. They are feeding further west away from the roads.

Last edited by Jimmy Su; 10/19/10 02:05 AM.
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: Jimmy Su] #1764120 10/21/10 02:56 AM
B
BUCKFEVER81 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Wind make sure the wind is in your face. As far as a deer bedding or in the path your walking you cant help that. Just walk at a normal pace and good luck.

Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: BUCKFEVER81] #1768973 10/22/10 08:20 PM
RazorBuck Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Funny thing about hunting: Jimmy will prob kill a monster book deer at his "camp", while I won't even see a 3yr old buck...
Good luck to you Jimmy Su, way to get out there and just do it!

Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: RazorBuck] #1769792 10/23/10 01:27 AM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Buy yourself a bottle of skunk scent and apply a small dab to the toe and heel of each boot, then the deer won't get wind of you and I learned this from experience. But, do not put the skunk scent on your casual shoes/boots for obvious reasons... I would even put some at the spot where you will be "camping" or hunting to mask your scent as well. Yes it does stink, but oh man how it works!!!

Last edited by deerslayer78; 10/23/10 01:31 AM.

You Only Fail If You Never Try!!!
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: deerslayer78] #1770681 10/23/10 01:19 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Years and years ago, I used some of that skunk scent that comes in 2 bottles. Neither stink till you mix them. I climbed a tree in East Texas, pulled a leaf off the tree, and put a couple of drops from each bottle on it. Then I dropped it under my tree.

I don't know if it worked or not because it smelled so bad I had to climb down and find another tree somewhere else! I buried those 2 bottles in the woods about 10 feet apart so they could never get together again.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #1771407 10/23/10 09:07 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
If you can find it...Racoon Urine works good too. Take one of those felt things with a hole in it that they sell at the sports stores.....Tie a short lenght of line to it and tie the other end to your boot laces so that it drags on the ground behind your boots. Put a few drops on it and away you go. If you get in a blind use a longer piece of line and let it down until it's about ground level. (This works with doe urine too.....I hang one out the window so that its just below the bottom of the blind, but off the ground.) Remember - a little bit of this stuff goes a loooooooong way. Don't overdo it...

I actually carried a turkey call in my mouth and when the deer spooked I stopped and clucked a few times. Deer just stopped. I could barely see her, but she hadn't spotted me. I had to just stand still a while...she finally walked away but wasn't spooked any more. Good luck.......

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Spooked a deer on approach. Any tips? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #1772306 10/24/10 09:57 AM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I use the Tink's Skunk Scent, but had to order it online and yes it stinks!!! But it does work great!!! Just don't overdo it!!! Good luck!!!

You Only Fail If You Never Try!!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide