Print Thread
Over-hunting a Pond #1741891 10/12/10 05:12 PM
K
KillemBoys Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
This is our second year hunting a private pond (about 3 acres) in North East Texas. Last year we limited our hunts to only Wednesday and Saturday mornings for fear that we would over-hunt the pond. But, with it being the first year it was hard for me to tell if what we experienced was just the normal flow of duck numbers through our area or if the lulls that we experienced were the result of over-hunting.

So, my question is do you guys think that this is a good rule? Are we over-hunting the pond, or could we hunt it more times a week without fear of over-hunting? How many times a week would you hunt a private pond of this size?

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: KillemBoys] #1741908 10/12/10 05:19 PM
D
DUAggie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Personally I don't hunt the same pond within two weeks, other than an occasional sat and sun hunt but then i leave it alone for at least two weeks.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: DUAggie] #1741953 10/12/10 05:37 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
If you were happy with the results keep that same schedule. If you want better results try once a week or every 10 days. The longer it rests, the better. If I am guiding on a spot like that I don't use a schedule, I just scout it often without bumping the birds and wait until it is loaded up.

I would say more than twice a week is really pushing it. If you can get 2 quality hunts off of it a week, you got a great spot.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: TXPride] #1742009 10/12/10 05:58 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
It really depends on the pond and the area. We mainly hunt a pond and it gets hunted fairly often and has plenty of birds throughout season.

[Linked Image]

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: TXPride] #1742018 10/12/10 06:04 PM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Everyone has their own theory about this subject. Mine's a little different than those already stated and probably at odds with most posters here. Keep the variables in mind when evaluating a specific body of water and not talk in generalities which rarely apply equally to all spots.

First and foremost, is the subject pond a feeding, resting or roosting area?

Are the ducks that stop there ones that are staying in the immediate area for at least several days or other prolonged period of time, or just passing through on their way south?

Are there other bodies of water nearby that are hunted regularly?

Are you a decoy hunter that shoots only birds coming into the dekes, or are you a pass shooter?

In our particular case, hunting an 11 acre wetlands from varying fixed blind locations while working birds into our decoys, we could (and usually do) hunt every other day at different times and not burn out the pond.

We do have other hunters within earshot and it's an unusual day when we don't hear at least a few other shots in the distance. 90% of the time we hunt the first 90 minutes of daylight and hang it up. Some days we'll start the hunt around 10:30 AM when most hunters are done for the day and the ducks are often beginning the 2nd most active period of the morning.

If we have an attractive offering of groceries that season, and the ducks want in our spot, we could probably hunt there daily because I don't believe we see the same ducks twice ... only catching new ones passing through.

I've only been hunting waterfowl for 55 seasons now and still don't think I know all the answers. So take what I just shared with you as just an old man's opinion, for whatever it was worth.

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: Cappy_TX] #1742052 10/12/10 06:17 PM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Good info Capp

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: Aggieduck] #1742188 10/12/10 07:03 PM
T
Texan1554 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
What Cappy said.

Depending on what the use of the pond is, the you can do what Cappy does and only hunt for a certain amount of time on any given day.

Last edited by Texan1554; 10/12/10 07:04 PM.
Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: Texan1554] #1742265 10/12/10 07:32 PM
T
Toledo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
hunt it when the birds are there. If that means wearing them out four days in a row then fine. If it means letting it rest a week thats fine too.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: Texan1554] #1742268 10/12/10 07:33 PM
D
duckboy007 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I'll let you know our personal experience at a pond in North Texas last year. I didn't take the time to find another pond to hunt, or any public land, so I just had the one spot.

Most saturdays, if I was on top of my game, we could shoot between 6-10 birds on average, with a two man limit coming 4 or five times during the season. If we went back for Sunday, it would be in the 2-4 range. Hunting it twice didn't seem to affect the next weekend's hunt.

If I went by myself on a weekday, I could shoot my six in about 30 min, and get out, and I didn't notice any effect on the saturday hunt.

Also, if there was good weather coming through, cold and nasty, the pressure had less affect on the birds numbers. This pond was large (about 10 acres) with alot of trees and bruch and a fenceline. We could shoot without flairing ducks off the other side of the pond, quess they felt safe.

My dog snores.
Secret Agent Custom Calls
Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: Cappy_TX] #1742311 10/12/10 07:54 PM
K
KillemBoys Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
Everyone has their own theory about this subject. Mine's a little different than those already stated and probably at odds with most posters here. Keep the variables in mind when evaluating a specific body of water and not talk in generalities which rarely apply equally to all spots.

First and foremost, is the subject pond a feeding, resting or roosting area?

Are the ducks that stop there ones that are staying in the immediate area for at least several days or other prolonged period of time, or just passing through on their way south?

Are there other bodies of water nearby that are hunted regularly?

Are you a decoy hunter that shoots only birds coming into the dekes, or are you a pass shooter?

In our particular case, hunting an 11 acre wetlands from varying fixed blind locations while working birds into our decoys, we could (and usually do) hunt every other day at different times and not burn out the pond.

We do have other hunters within earshot and it's an unusual day when we don't hear at least a few other shots in the distance. 90% of the time we hunt the first 90 minutes of daylight and hang it up. Some days we'll start the hunt around 10:30 AM when most hunters are done for the day and the ducks are often beginning the 2nd most active period of the morning.

If we have an attractive offering of groceries that season, and the ducks want in our spot, we could probably hunt there daily because I don't believe we see the same ducks twice ... only catching new ones passing through.

I've only been hunting waterfowl for 55 seasons now and still don't think I know all the answers. So take what I just shared with you as just an old man's opinion, for whatever it was worth.

The pond is FULL of Coontail, American Pond Weed and snails and the ducks clearly come into it to feed.

We are in between two major lakes that are hunted heavily and one mile north a river, with a creek running to the river 400 yards from our pond. We often hear other shooting.

We hunt over decoys and only shoot at birds coming into the decoys.

The bottom line is that we did not feel like we over hunted the pond (we shot around 250 ducks off it last year) - but because last year was so strange with all of the water I am not sure if we should be worried about our schedule for this year.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: KillemBoys] #1742324 10/12/10 07:57 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
It sounds like you are in a great area if you shot 250 ducks off the same pond.

If I were you, I'd try to gain access to other ponds in the area and then you can rotate.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: Moose K] #1742349 10/12/10 08:08 PM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I agree with a lot of what Cappy has to say on this forum, but there is no way I believe we don't see the same ducks twice. At least not where I hunt. I think a lot of these ducks hang out for a week or two before moving on- at least that is what I believe from hunting ponds.

Why would a guide spend a day scouting ponds if he didn't expect the same ducks to be back there the next day? Hell, why would any of us waste our time scouting anything? You find the ducks on the X and you set up there the next day. Therefore- same ducks.

Maybe Jim's wetland situation is different (close to a major body of water?) but that hasn't been my experience.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: cable] #1742444 10/12/10 08:43 PM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: cable
I agree with a lot of what Cappy has to say on this forum, but there is no way I believe we don't see the same ducks twice. At least not where I hunt. I think a lot of these ducks hang out for a week or two before moving on- at least that is what I believe from hunting ponds.

Maybe Jim's wetland situation is different (close to a major body of water?) but that hasn't been my experience.

We aren't really in disagreement. Because we AREN'T near a large body of water, we AREN'T closer that 5-6 miles from the River, Peanuts AREN'T grown in the area any longer and there AREN'T significant other crops to attract and hold ducks here, then they ARE simply passing through ... IMO.

That doesn't mean they won't stay for a day or two. That's why we NEVER shoot birds off the wetlands at LST. I actually walk to the blind with the dawgs, let them air including running in the shallows, often go out to set up or turn on a spinning wing, and otherwise do lots of non-stealthy stuff that causes birds to leave us. When they come back as they usually do, and swing into the dekes, is when we get our shooting. It's much like a roost. Shoot the birds from it and they stay away ... cause them to leave without it being in a panic and they usually filter back in smaller groups.

Two seasons back we had a group of Redheads come into our mallard dekes during one of our rare afternoon hunts. Carol and I killed 4. The next morning we went back to the same blinds and ended up shooting 2 more plus a Can. Those were the only Red and Cans we've EVER had on our property in six seasons and, unfortunately for them, they DID come back a 2nd time.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: KillemBoys] #1742484 10/12/10 08:56 PM
C
cmelvin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
last season in january, my bro and a buddy found a pond that some birds that were using to feed.... our group, which consisted of 3-4 guys, hunted this pond for 6 consecutive days and every day we brought limits out. we shot birds(Pintail, BW & GW Teal, Gadwall, Wigeon, and Shoveler) just as good the last day as we did the first, they just wanted to be there. it was nothing like i had ever seen before and what made it even sweeter was this was on public land laugh sometimes birds just want to go to a certain area no matter what happened the previous days. i cant explain why confused2

I have found that diversity adds balance to things. And thats why i shoot a diversity of animals. so i can bring balance to my freezer
Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: cmelvin] #1743511 10/13/10 02:10 AM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Nice pics as always Jim! Love them yeller dawgs and looking foward to seeing some of Rusty's first retrieves this year.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: Cappy_TX] #1743998 10/13/10 03:39 AM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX

We aren't really in disagreement. Because we AREN'T near a large body of water, we AREN'T closer that 5-6 miles from the River, Peanuts AREN'T grown in the area any longer and there AREN'T significant other crops to attract and hold ducks here, then they ARE simply passing through ... IMO.

I definately disagree with you here. Many of the ducks that make it this far down the flyway and get to our area and find sufficient food will stay put until pressured. Suffiecient food could be a 1 acre smartweed flat, a 3 acre beaver pond surounded by oak trees, a flooded corn feild, a 6 acres wetland with groceries... To say that there is a lack of duck attracting habitat in your area is far fetched. I can show you some footage of 5,000+ mallards behiving into a roost just a couple of miles from your place from last year. Pressure effects ducks even if it is just 90 min. When ducks are not being pressured they will stay put whether it be for the entire season, until the next cold front, or maybe even just a couple of weeks.

Put 4 or 5 days a week worth of pressure on the same 6 acre wetland and you will have average to sub par duck numbers for the entire season... Take the same 6 acre wetland and hunt it one day a week and you will see a lot more birds on the day that you do hunt.

With that being said I am not knocking what cappy does, I just disagree with his thoughts on this topic. He can do what ever he wants on his place and I think its great that he still gets out on his own at his age as much as he does.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: duckiller] #1744308 10/13/10 11:28 AM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: duckiller

Put 4 or 5 days a week worth of pressure on the same 6 acre wetland and you will have average to sub par duck numbers for the entire season... Take the same 6 acre wetland and hunt it one day a week and you will see a lot more birds on the day that you do hunt.

With that being said I am not knocking what cappy does, I just disagree with his thoughts on this topic. He can do what ever he wants on his place and I think its great that he still gets out on his own at his age as much as he does.

That part probably is true. However ... we DON'T hunt for numbers. WE hunt for the sheer enjoyment of being out with our dawgs as often as we can. Over the past five years we've averaged 3 hunts per week on our wetlands property and harvested 3.8 ducks average for each of our typical 90 minute hunts.

Digest that with me: 3.8 X 3 = 11.4 ducks per week. Even if we could LIMIT every time out hunting 1X/week, that would only be 6 birds per week and we kill nearly double that. So if it WAS a numbers game, we harvest MORE birds and have THREE times more enjoyment with our dawgs hunting it as we do than we would hunting just once a week.

And after all ... that's what this sport is all about ... especially for a fella who'll be 69 this month and is still active and enjoying life with his 63 year old duck hunting wife.

wink

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: Cappy_TX] #1744620 10/13/10 02:00 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
The look Rusty has on his face in that picture for some reason cracks me UP roflmao

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: KillemBoys] #1744957 10/13/10 03:53 PM
D
drakedoctor Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I have several ponds and private holes in East TX that I rotate through. I let the ducks determine when I hunt. If there are not good numbers for a particular pond, I let it continue to rest. On average the ponds get 10 to 14 days of rest. Also, we try to have dekes picked up by 8am if we are on a small pond. Gives them a chance to come back and rest.

Live to hunt, hunt to live.
Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: KillemBoys] #1745319 10/13/10 06:17 PM
R
RockinR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Here's another question:

I have 3 smaller (2-3 acre) ponds on the same place. The biggest is my favorite to hunt and I try to hunt it every 10 days, or so.

I have only hunted the second pond, which is only about 600 yards away, twice last season. I was afraid that shooting that close to the other pond might spook the birds from "my bigger honey hole." **I have seen birds fly back-and-forth from one pond to another, but have never seen birds spooked from a shot land on the other one.

Would hunting this pond effect my hunts? **No food sources in the ponds other than acorns that fall from the woods on the bank.

Also, there is a 3rd pond that is about .75 mile from the other 2 ponds. Same situation with this one, but it is the smaller of the 3 ponds. Maybe 1.5 acres and heavily wooded around 75% of it. (Mallards and woodies love it). Will hunting this one effect the other 2 much? I can't tell bird flight between them because of the trees.

Re: Over-hunting a Pond [Re: RockinR] #1745341 10/13/10 06:26 PM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
If you are hunting one spot and birds are staying put in your other spot then you are not really effecting your other spots that bad. Sure it may effect your other spots a little but not that much if birds are still falling into your other places. If there are 200 ducks on the other spot when you are finished hunting then more than likely those 200 ducks will be back and were not effected by your hunting.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide