Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Opinions? #1703680 09/28/10 02:23 AM
dfwroadkill Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I know this has probably been around before in various ways, but I'll try it again anyway. What are your thoughts about guests on leases, particularly for opening weekend (bow)? Add to that the leasee in this situation is bringing a guest unannounced to hunt hogs with a bow. As far as I know, there has been no previously stated rule concerning when in the season guests would be allowed, but other leasees have never brought a guest before the first weekend in December. The lease has previously allowed guests, but the guest is only allowed to take a doe or spike buck, not the big buck. It is an AR county, not that it matters as concerns the core question.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Re: Opinions? [Re: dfwroadkill] #1703798 09/28/10 02:53 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
If I was the land owner there would be no guest allowed at all, if they want to hunt they can pay like everybody else! This unannounced guest might be the sloppiest unstealthy bow-hunter around making what ever deer they do see hunter shy on the first weekend, screwing all the paying hunters up. Well, that's my opinion anyways.

Re: Opinions? [Re: grout-scout] #1703837 09/28/10 03:02 AM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Should be covered up front. Not a last minute surprise. I dont mind the occasional guest but inevitably there are those that always cross the line. Our personal lease rule is only one guest at a time, the guest is your responsibility and he aint doing anything that impacts a paying hunters time on the ranch. Also, if he isnt immediate family he is paying $50/day to be on our place. My pet pevee people always saying, I just want to come and sit in a stand and take pics. Well it costs a lot of money to provide that stand for you to come and sit and take pics. I do not think a lot of people get that. Touchy situation for sure.

Let'em grow old
Re: Opinions? [Re: grout-scout] #1703840 09/28/10 03:02 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I'm almost always been against guest on leases..... if they want to hunt, let them pay for a lease, feed corn and put in the work on one....esp when I find that a "guest" shot a deer out of my stand. Bringing the wife or kids is one thing, a work buddy/neighbor is another

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Opinions? [Re: hoof n wings] #1703932 09/28/10 03:36 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Every lease I have been on had a no guest policy either completely, or at least til after thanksgiving weekend.

We always limited them to doe only, and that was made very clear before they arrive. Helps out when you have those horn hunters who only want to kill big moe and let the doe walk.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Opinions? [Re: psycho0819] #1703946 09/28/10 03:44 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I personally don't agree with the no guest policy. I have introduced many hunters to the sport by taking them to my lease and letting them take a doe, spike or cull.

I do think that the rules should be up front and everyone should be aware of what they are prior to paying any money.

On my lease, you are allowed one guest at a time and they have to hunt with a paying customer.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Opinions? [Re: txshntr] #1704011 09/28/10 04:17 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
I personaly like leases that allow a guest. 1 at a time. I don't care if they have to use your allowed limit or if they just get to shot does or spikes. Also, I like family to be allowed. Again, if they hunt they either count as a guest or they pay like everyone else. Also, I do not think guests should be allowed until after opening gun weekend. And they most use only your blind or have permision to use another paying members blind from them. Also, all of the above most be previously agreed upon.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Opinions? [Re: notamtchance] #1704078 09/28/10 04:51 AM
M
murph Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
We have a clear policy on guests stated up front. No guest opening week, one guest per member and only once during deer season and guest may not shoot any buck. We don't shoot spikes, so that is not an issue. I look at guests as a possible recruitment should a member of the lease not return. It's especially good for members to bring a guest during spring turkey season. They get to pitch in with feeding and various other chores that are always needed on the lease. You meet a lot of good folks and in turn they get exposed to the goings on and work involved with a lease. Over 13 years managing this lease and have had no problem with guests.

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions? [Re: murph] #1704222 09/28/10 11:58 AM
F
fyrdog929 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
I have no problem with family coming along, they can hang out at camp and get the feel for it maybe even take your kid to the stand with you. But as soon as one them picks up a hunting weapon, they should have to pay to use it. If it's only a 1 time hunt for them, then they can pay less, but no Bucks and it will come off of your tag amount. And never on opening weekend. Once you get a noise maker in a stand some of the deer are gone, or nocturnal. I wouldn't want to pay for a lease to have your work buddy scare off my deer, just to says " oops, sorry, it's my first time, I didn't know"

Re: Opinions? [Re: txshntr] #1704238 09/28/10 12:14 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
I have introduced many hunters to the sport by taking them to my lease and letting them take a doe, spike or cull.

There ya go! More of this needs to be done.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Opinions? [Re: HWY_MAN] #1704252 09/28/10 12:27 PM
dfwroadkill Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming.

BTW, I could go either way on the guest/no guest policy and think it depends on the particular lease and setup as to how it works. I think that in this case there was an attempt to get rules in place, it's just that no one thought about stating there would be no guests on opening weekend....or early season for that matter....and it hadn't happened before. i think it was thought to be more like a common sense courtesy sort of thing.

Thanks again!

Re: Opinions? [Re: dfwroadkill] #1704280 09/28/10 12:48 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Our lease has a "no guests" rule. I don't have a problem with it at all. However, family is not considered guests. And when I say family I mean the wife and children under 18 years old. Once the kids hit 18, they have to pay to hunt like everybody else.

Re: Opinions? [Re: dfwroadkill] #1704286 09/28/10 12:53 PM
R
rkcurbow Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
We have it posted in our lease rules that a guest can come and hunt the stand or one of the stands of the person that invited them only after the Thanksgiving weekend. They are not allowed to hunt any of the other members stands and if they kill a deer, buck or doe it will be deducted from the number of deer the member can kill. So if the guest kills a buck over 13" then the member can't shoot a buck over 13" until the next year.

Re: Opinions? [Re: rkcurbow] #1704331 09/28/10 01:14 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
"Can I bring a guest?" is one of those things that sends up a red flag whenever someone asks about joining a lease. The existing lease members are already taking a chance on you and what "baggage" you bring with yourself, and now you want to know if you can bring someone else?

IMO, anyone who shows up with a guest without any prior notice to whoever is running the lease WOULD NOT be on the lease the following season. And no guests, other than "immediate" family members (son, daughter, wife) would be permitted until the LAST TWO WEEKENDS of the season.

Also, any deer taken by ANY non-paying guest, including family members, goes towards the paying members quota.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide