Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: Texas Heat] #1686989 09/21/10 07:29 PM
M
mike9582 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
If you use spikes to hunt hogs you dont even need a knife.

guns kill people, like spoons made Rosie O'donnel fat.
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: mike9582] #1687681 09/21/10 11:01 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Man this thread is full of alot of bs

Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: Brother in-law] #1688313 09/22/10 02:58 AM
K
kennedy82mp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Exactly. I spoke with misquided info. That is why I thanked Eland for him posting the links to me. Then I asked him to take back calling me an idiot, which he did. Then you txrepublic charmed in and said that you wouldn't. You shouldn't be like that, you should help assist people in telling people when they are wrong.
And yes if you hunt with spikes you don't need a gun. Saves on bullets. We all know how O***a is trying to take them.

Just a good ol disabled veteran
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: kennedy82mp] #1688360 09/22/10 03:14 AM
M
mike9582 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
You almost said the O word!!!!

guns kill people, like spoons made Rosie O'donnel fat.
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: kennedy82mp] #1688477 09/22/10 04:22 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: kennedy82mp
.....O***a.....

might just end up being the worst cuss word of them all.....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: Tx Deer Hunter] #1688667 09/22/10 12:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Tx Deer Hunter
Sorry but running down a beautiful animal to the point of exhaustion with a pack of wild crazed dogs and then walking up and shooting it with a pistol IS NOT FAIR CHASE HUNTING! It is cruel and should be banned across all of North America. I hunted a ranch in Junction Texas for years, we had a resident male cougar that would walk by my deer stand a least a couple times a season, we NEVER found any livestock that had been downed by this lion and the livestock manager told us he had only lost a small number of sheep or goats to this cougar. It was an awesome sight every time I saw him and we were instructed by the land owners to LEAVE HIM BE....

Just curious on this one....wonder how this male cougar survived in the wild all those years without eating very much.. confused2..got any pics of this cougar to post for us, would love to see some since I have never seen one in the wild. popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: stxranchman] #1688797 09/22/10 01:42 PM
K
Kcowboy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
also if someone could post the pictures of hunting hogs with deer I would appreciate it...

-- My wife says this forum is "Facebook for hunters", what's up with that? --
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: Kcowboy] #1688846 09/22/10 01:54 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Kcowboy
also if someone could post the pictures of hunting hogs with deer I would appreciate it...

I would like to see that as well.....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: Eland Slayer] #1689792 09/22/10 06:22 PM
K
kennedy82mp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I will see if I can find my old pics of me doing that. You have to be good to make it work.

Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: kennedy82mp] #1691643 09/23/10 04:22 AM
W
WedoV214 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
tanner where do you hunt in leakey cuz we hunt there also..

Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: Kcowboy] #1691647 09/23/10 04:28 AM
C
CitySlickerHunter Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
C

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: CitySlickerHunter] #1692458 09/23/10 03:59 PM
W
WEK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
I'm from Utah, and I've hunted Mountain Lions at high altitude with hounds four times. If you think that isn't real hunting, or isn't "fair" to the animal, I'll take you myself. If you make it without blowing out a lung I'll be impressed.

Chasing an agile, fast, and dangerous predator at 8,000-11,000 feet elevation through steep canyons, cliffs, and forests (usually in several feet of snow) is the most physically demanding hunting I've seen--and I've done back country elk, mule deer, moose, and mountain goat.

Maybe it's different down here...

Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: WEK] #1695271 09/24/10 02:30 PM
K
kennedy82mp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I've hunted the taliban like that. It was a blast. Still got my lungs and my life. lol. Most people around here have never seen mountains that high.

Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: kennedy82mp] #1695597 09/24/10 04:22 PM
P
PBGSO Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Mountain lions are not on the verge of being extinct. I have hunted them in Texas for 12+ years I consider myself a predator hunter I am 35. I have trapped them I have ran them with dogs and I have had hunters take them when I have called them into a predator call. Mountain lion hunting and predator hunting is something I am very passionate about. There are more lions in Texas than there ever has been before. In Texas a lion is a non game animal the same as a hog or coyote or a bobcat. They can be hunted year round day night whatever. You do not need a special tag or a special license to kill them. TPWD does ask if you kill them or sight them to report it to a 800 number. And yes you can guide lion hunts in Texas.

If anyone thinks a dog hunt is unfair I do not think you have ever seen one take place. A few years back I had a cat kill a dog I paid $6000.00 for and if you have ever ran bobcat or lion on dry ground like here in Texas you will know it is not an easy hunt at all and you do not always tree a cat. The term pack of crazed dogs got my blood boiling. I have seen good dry ground lion dogs sell for as much as $20,000.00. Most people do not understand the training and time it takes to make a good dog to where they can tree a lion on dry ground. It isn't turn the dogs loose and bam you have a cat in a tree that is a misconception. Cats are smart weather conditions are tough because of the dry weather in Texas and usually no snow. There has been several times where I have ran my dogs for days on a cat and never got the cat I was hunting and hunting as hard as you can hunt. Truly hunting scouting trying to help the dogs. That is something that not a lot of people understand about dry ground hunting the dogs do not know which way a cat is going you the guide have to asses the situation and make sure they are fallowing the tracks in the right direction which isn't always easy in the amount of Rocks in Texas.

A lot of people have this misconception that mountain lion are extinct or becoming extinct and this is totally incorrect. There are more lions across the US than there ever has been before. States Like California you can not kill them at all and the animals are actually over populated.
I understand that people might not want to kill a lion with dogs I can understand that and the reason is that is your opinion. I can help you change your opinion but its like religion it is always your choice. I can give you the facts and you can decide. I have offered this hunt without dogs through the years and it is probably the hunt I get the most inquiry about believe it or not. I tell guys its a 50/50 deal if you come and put in the time lots of hours and we can cover lots of ground you will have the best chances. I have had years 100% every trip for an opportunity and years where we didn't get an opportunity.
I try and put predator control into perspective for people that think Lion are the same thing as their cuddly house cat. Say your a rancher and own one of these big ranches. How do ranchers make a living? They sell wildlife or livestock. What does a lion eat? wildlife and livestock. I have seen a lion kill 30 sheep in a night. I put it in perspective for the anti hunter or people that do not like dogs in that how would you like your boss to come in one day and say I am cutting your salary in half or your not getting paid this week because that is what happens to these ranchers when a lion kills livestock or wildlife.
I look at the harvest data provided by TPWD on Lion and they are traveling further every year and are being taken further into Texas and greater numbers in counties that have never had lions before. I have had several calls from around Austin or counties north of Austin with sightings in the last 2 years. This was not happening 10 years ago. Dogs are a very good tool and the hunt is for some and not for others, but I have never been on a lion hunt with dogs and the hunt be turn the dogs loose and bam there is a cat up a tree easy not in Texas.

Lions generally do not eat rancid meat they make fresh kills every 2-3 days especially when weather conditions are hot and they are the most proficient killers out of all big cats. Therefore baiting is not always the best method of taking them unless you use the right bait cats love porcupine and Javelina. This is usually best in colder months for dead bait. Water is one of the best ways to hunt a cat because they will come to water and livestock and wildlife congregate at water. I have killed lions over bait with traps a few times, but I change baits and still put out other attractants when doing this. I have also used live bait usually a rooster or a noisy goat in a cage fed daily this can be a good way to get a lion as well or get them in your area. A lion is like a bobcat if they are there they usually come to a call. I got into dogs because I had 5-6 guys miss lions I called in any where from the closest being 40 yards and as far as 150. You could not imagine buck fever thats sets in when a lion comes to a predator call.

Offering year round hunting for native and exotic species in Texas!
www.huntsintexas.com
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: PBGSO] #1695657 09/24/10 04:41 PM
F
Flintlock Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted By: PBGSO

A lot of people have this misconception that mountain lion are extinct or becoming extinct and this is totally incorrect. There are more lions across the US than there ever has been before. States Like California you can not kill them at all and the animals are actually over populated.

This is so true...I grew up hunting California before moving here a few years back. Almost every deer hunting trip I would see multiple mountain lions. It used to freak me out during muzzleloader season when I couldn't carry a handgun. Consequences are HEAVY if you kill one.

Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: Flintlock] #1695822 09/24/10 05:40 PM
K
Kcowboy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
PBGSO- great post thanks for the education!

-- My wife says this forum is "Facebook for hunters", what's up with that? --
Re: looking for mountian lion hunt [Re: Kcowboy] #1695882 09/24/10 05:57 PM
W
WEK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
@kennedy82mp,

From my family, thank you for your service.

As for mountains, I have to admit that I miss them. I'm slowly growing to love Texas, but I miss living 20 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City and looking out from my back deck at an 11,000 foot peak towering right over me.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide