Forums46
Topics538,252
Posts9,734,867
Members87,077
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Its coming, Vet stripped of gun rights! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1661752 09/11/10 12:12 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Some people like the nanny state. Makes me wonder if it just other people that they want the government to control, or if they feel the need to be controlled also.

Re: Its coming, Vet stripped of gun rights! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1661760 09/11/10 12:16 AM
S
Sami Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
True, but I don't think it is unreasonable to 'nanny' a person who can't take care of himself. Like you said, this isn't a perfect world where everyone can get what they want. We can only imagine, as Lennon put it.

Now, if the Ireland's take this to court and a jury finds him competent then I have no problem with him carrying guns. In order to do so he however needs to get out of his wife's guardianship. Based on the article, our court system did not initiate the process, they did VOLUNTARILY! Now I don't know if they did so to get more money from the government but whatever the reason is, I believe the end result is entirely their own doing.

Re: Its coming, Vet stripped of gun rights! [Re: helomech] #1661772 09/11/10 12:22 AM
S
Sami Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: helomech
Some people like the nanny state. Makes me wonder if it just other people that they want the government to control, or if they feel the need to be controlled also.

Other people of course. Like illegal immigrants... wink

I forgot, you don't want governments help, you have guns to deal with that problem. I hope yours are bigger than theirs. stir

Re: Its coming, Vet stripped of gun rights! [Re: Skip] #1684950 09/21/10 12:36 AM
M
MikeBuck Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
If a person is judged legally "incompetent" that's fairly serious, it means a psychiatrist evaluated the person and found that that person lacks decision-making ability. It means that the recommendation ended up in usually Family court, and the petition (usually brought by a hospital, a city or county jurisdiction) petitioned for it and it was ruled on by a judge. The individual who lacks capacity has a poor ability to judge right from wrong in a chronic way. "Capacity" is a diagnostic word, a close relative to "impaired judgement". People diagnosed with PTSD are NOT automatically declared incompetent or deemed to have impaired judgement. To be incompetent you must also meet the criteria of "lacking insight" into your mental illness and be "unwilling, inconsistent or be non-compliant" with treatment recommendations such as medication or therapy and "likely to suffer harm" unless someone steps in in a decision-making capacity. I can guarantee you that its a fairly high standard to meet, very few people in this country are deemed incompetent, its stripping a person's civil rights to a degree and contrary to what you may believe, psychiatrists do not like to make that recommendation hastily. There has to be a history of real self harm, harm to others or self neglect. Remember, a court decides competency. The pyschiatrist only assesses for capacity. I know these things because I worked with people who were adjudicated mentally incompetent for 7 years and I can tell you there are people in this society walking around who are a risk to themselves and others. Sorry it happened to the fella though. Its not a happy thing.

Re: Its coming, Vet stripped of gun rights! [Re: obryankl] #1884803 12/03/10 02:26 AM
22mag Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
what does it say on there driver lic. does it come back to that PTSD? I think that should be something private because if you didn't even have a gun the law might treat you like a metal person.

Re: Its coming, Vet stripped of gun rights! [Re: Sami] #1884824 12/03/10 02:34 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Sami
Originally Posted By: helomech

Other people of course. Like illegal immigrants... wink

I forgot, you don't want governments help, you have guns to deal with that problem. I hope yours are bigger than theirs. stir

What part of shall not be infringed do you not get? I don't think I can make it any easier for you to understand. Maybe you should look up the definition of infringe, either that or you don't give a rats *** about the constitution.

You are right about one thing, I don't want the governments help with anything, let me deal with things my way. Never have used the governments help in my life, it is called being able to take care of myself, maybe you should give it a try.

Re: Its coming, Vet stripped of gun rights! [Re: helomech] #1885109 12/03/10 03:53 AM
J
Johnny Lobos Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
"a psychiatrist"

Thats more skoolin and credibility than most folks on here who are mouthin off.

I see folks everyday who tote $2,000 AR-15's who ain't got a tooth in their head, ain't gradutated from high skool, but can quote the hell outta the U.S. and Texas Constitutions. rofl

My rhetorical question will always be...If you don't like it, whatcha gonna do about it? NUTHIN!
rofl

Last edited by Johnny Loco; 12/03/10 03:58 AM.
Re: Its coming, Vet stripped of gun rights! [Re: Sami] #1886573 12/03/10 06:09 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
While I have an opinion on this, I'll reserve that...

I will say this..... If you are so worried about this governmetn infringement, how in the world can you support Antler restrictions?

Re: Its coming, Vet stripped of gun rights! [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1893349 12/06/10 12:43 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
While I have an opinion on this, I'll reserve that...

I will say this..... If you are so worried about this governmetn infringement, how in the world can you support Antler restrictions?

I call foul that's a different debate for another thread blush

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide