Page 1 of 2 1 2
What do YOU believe??? #1675921 09/16/10 10:20 PM
L
Luckycharms_1981 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
After being on the forum for a while I have read TONS of post about people having problems/conflicts with neighboring land owners. I have seen a lot of post where someone has found something or been in a situation that tends to ruffle their feathers quite a bit and they come here looking for advice on how to handle said situation. Nothing wrong with seeking a little friendly advice from someone who may have been there before. After all, I believe that's part of the reason God allows us to go thru things. So that we can help others from our own experiences.

The question I have for all of you reading this is, do y'all feel that most people are good natured and would be willing to work out a reasonable compromise or do their part to fix a bad situation? Or do most of y'all believe that most others are just jacka#%es that would just as soon screw you over as to look at you???

The reason I ask this is because of a lot of the replies that I see to these posts like " Hang up a steel wall on the fenceline right in his line of sight." or "Put a tape player out there on a timer." and the list goes on.

I do find it ammusing that some of us would resort to that kind of thing first without taking the time to see if you could work something out peacefully first.

Not all of the replies are like that. There do seem to be quite a few of us that offer sound advice such as communicating with the other party involved, and that is good to see.

What do y'all REALLY think???

Grab ahold of something, bite your lip, and GIVE IT HELL!!!!!
Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Luckycharms_1981] #1675973 09/16/10 10:54 PM
L
Lazy L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I've tried to get the guy that put his stand on the fence line at my place to call me for saftey reasons but he has failed to do so. I guess next time one of his cows gets on our place I will just do the same to him.

"Hey running' buddy what'll say to a twelve pack"

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Lazy L] #1675980 09/16/10 10:57 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I know of nothing that can bring out the worst in the male ego than a gun and the chance to shoot something.

Heck, as evidenced so other here and in other hunting forums, just a simple discussion about certain topics is enough to set some guys off.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Texas Dan] #1676020 09/16/10 11:16 PM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
i believe in trying to keep it simple and talk to him first now if said guy doesn't wanna listen then i take more drastic matters the only time i don't talk first is when i find a brush blind on my side of the fence then i tear it up and leave a nice note then i put up trail cams and if i find a feeder on my side i just take it down and use it somewhere else got two like that.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Texas Dan] #1676025 09/16/10 11:21 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I tried for a couple of years to work something out with my neighbor. First of all, the landowner and I had an agreement that no stands would be placed closer than 200 to either side of the fence. The first group that he leased to were good guys. They stayed away from the fence and let the bucks mature. A new guy out bid them on the property and he was a living nightmare. Only suppose to be 4 hunting, sometimes he had 7. Suppose to stay away from my fence,,they just hunted in the brush on my fenceline. Shot everything that moved, sounded like a young war over there. I tried to talk to him but he told me to mind my own business, he paid for the place and could shoot what he wanted.
I talked to the landowner but at the time he didn't think it was a big deal. So I put up 2.7 miles of game fence and shut him out. When I did that, he moved to the south neighbor and that landowner must have had more pull with their landowner because they got kicked off.
I later found out that he was killing a lot more deer than he was suppose to. He had a false bottom in his tool box and his own processing at his house. He was selling the meat. I thought of this guy as the devil himself, almost the worst neighbor you could have. For the 3 years he was hunting next to us was absolute hell.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Stompy] #1676077 09/16/10 11:47 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
My property is close to a mile long, but only about 220 yards wide. I'm sure my neighbor isn't thrilled that no matter where I put anything (stand, blind, feeder), it's close to the fenceline, but what am I supposed to do? I have made sure that I will never be in a situation where I'm firing in his direction, but in order to do that, I have no choice but to put my blind on the fenceline and my feeder in about 100 yards. Judging by most of what I've read on this forum, that would be considered trying to pull deer from his property. But again I ask: What am I supposed to do? Just not hunt my property because I only have 40 acres and he has 1000? If I go any further, I'm just on the other neighbor's fenceline instead.

I am very mindful of not overharvesting given my relatively small tract and won't shoot more than 1 deer a year, buck or doe. But that's the best I can do.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Stompy] #1676089 09/16/10 11:53 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I have been on both sides of the fence both landowner and hunter. We quit leasing several years ago when our family got so big that it made sense to hunt our own land instead of leasing it. We have had a few bumps from surrounding hunters and landowners but never one that wasn't worked out with cool heads and good Texas folks.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: cameron00] #1676097 09/16/10 11:58 PM
M
mayor31 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Im on family land with neighboring land owners and everyone around me has been neighborly for the last 150years. Thats because we all respect one another and always have worked things out........now say I go somewhere and start dropping 2 grand a year, building fence, feeding protien, having the bioligist come study things, etc........

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

thats where it begins it begins and ends.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: cameron00] #1676100 09/16/10 11:59 PM
B
bigbuck1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
You know you are doing what's right, so don't worry about it. That's all you can do. Good luck.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: bigbuck1] #1676985 09/17/10 01:46 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Buck$ (money and deer) seem to bring out the worst in folks.

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: PHishTX] #1677030 09/17/10 02:13 PM
L
LAstrutter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Neighbor to the north, good friends with him. He and his wife hunt very little on the property. They may take two or three does a year and don't shoot bucks unless they are big. I can't even remember either one of them killing a buck. Neighbor to the south, Never see them. They rarely hunt, and when they do, they rarely kill anything. Neighbor to the east. Nice people. Doesn't even hunt the property. I can hunt it if I want, but there is really no need to. Neighbor to the west. Two or three guys lease the property. Never had any trouble with them. I have had to chase a few hunters off during turkey season, but that was some time ago. I was polite and have not had trouble since. I did have one of my neighbors sons shoot a deer across the fence on my property one day. We took care of it though without any problems. I guess if I had an *** for a neighbor it would be different, but fortunately I don't have to put up with that, at least for now.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: LAstrutter] #1677074 09/17/10 02:32 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
communication is the key... we have had our problems in the past... ive talked most of them out...

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: LAstrutter] #1677084 09/17/10 02:34 PM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
My stand is, if its your property and you wanna hunt on your side of the fence and you are two feet of the line, thats still your property and you have every right to do it, the folks that get their panties in a wad over stands to close to fences, dont usually own land. I'll try to pull deer off the neighbors place everyday of the week, but dont we all? food plots and feeders are there to attract deer, who cares where they come from. Now the problem I run into is in the situation which the OP is quoting, where a stand is 50 yards back and the feeder is between the stand and the fence, here the issue runs into legal issues and safety, as there is no way to keep your projectile from crossing my fence, which in effect in my mind is trespassing. We've owned land and have leased it, the place we own land, I have a stand on a fence line, bt I also have permission to shoot and retrieve game on the neighbors side as this area is blocked by a creek and a thicket, my other neighbor lets me spot light for hogs on his place, all these owners are either family or owned the land for a long time.

Most people that get pissed about stands too close IMO are lessees who have no concept of property rights. Being a P**** is a good way to get kicked off a lease, because 99 times out of 100 the landowners have good relationships between each other.

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: rstewlandman] #1677097 09/17/10 02:39 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
im all for using everybit of land you own also.... also the deer of texas belong to texas....

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Luckycharms_1981] #1677239 09/17/10 03:36 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good natured has come in between money

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Luckycharms_1981] #1677321 09/17/10 04:02 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Of course I think talking to the nieghbor is the thing to do, or at least the first thing you should try. The problem is in our situation it would be quite a bit of trouble to contact the hunters next to us. Or at least more trouble than I'm willing to go through to talk to someone that doesn't have enough COMMON SENSE to place their stand where it's not pointing at our place. I'm not gonna go bother a rancher over his hunters and prefer not to bother the GW. I'd rather just move my stand or take my chances.

I guess in the end if they are hunters, I feel we have at least that in common and should be able to come to an agreement. ( This should have been my opening statement.)

I have no problem with someone hunting right on the fence as long as they are on their side and not shooting toward me.

Last edited by RICK O'SHAY; 09/17/10 04:19 PM.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1677359 09/17/10 04:17 PM
B
BYPATHofNIGHT Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
In spite of some exceptions, I think if you approach another adult in a reasonable, courteous manner, you will more times than not get a reasonable, courteous response. Not always, as evidenced in some replies here, but more often than not.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: BYPATHofNIGHT] #1677416 09/17/10 04:44 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I've really only had one run in with a neighbor. Tried the nice route first. He either didn't get it or didn't care. I got a little more blunt - still no results. Finally I took what he thought was going to be drastic action (high fence him out) and he finally got the idea and came around. That neighbor has since left the country and the new folks don't hunt, so it's very cool now.

Bottom line is that I always try to be nice, and definitely go by the golden rule. But if someone is clearly wrong and refuses to correct their actions, expect the worst from me, because you're going to get it.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1677855 09/17/10 07:07 PM
C
C-Jags Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
We've yet to have a any issues that i know of for quite a while.

our lease is land locked and a farmer plowed up (for farm land) our only entrance in and put up post fence that kept my In-laws out from their land. so my BIL took a back hoe and cleared out the entire half mile to the farmland/lease... fence, posts and about 4-6 feet of his plowed field.

that didn't go over well from what i understand... but that guy is gone for a lot of other reasons. from what i understand all has been well with other neighbors.

i am worried as they've cleared out the brush about 20 yards from my feeder and dug holes. i'm afraid they may have just decided to put up a fence there. Which would be frustrating considering they don't hunt.

Last edited by C-Jags; 09/17/10 07:18 PM.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: C-Jags] #1677947 09/17/10 07:43 PM
H
hornedfrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Often it seems that too many people have the "I've got the biggest pair" attitude and wake up looking for a fight. Actions usually only lead to reactions and both can be very costly in the end.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: rstewlandman] #1678261 09/17/10 09:28 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: rstewlandman
My stand is, if its your property and you wanna hunt on your side of the fence and you are two feet of the line, thats still your property and you have every right to do it, the folks that get their panties in a wad over stands to close to fences, dont usually own land. I'll try to pull deer off the neighbors place everyday of the week, but dont we all? food plots and feeders are there to attract deer, who cares where they come from. Now the problem I run into is in the situation which the OP is quoting, where a stand is 50 yards back and the feeder is between the stand and the fence, here the issue runs into legal issues and safety, as there is no way to keep your projectile from crossing my fence, which in effect in my mind is trespassing. We've owned land and have leased it, the place we own land, I have a stand on a fence line, bt I also have permission to shoot and retrieve game on the neighbors side as this area is blocked by a creek and a thicket, my other neighbor lets me spot light for hogs on his place, all these owners are either family or owned the land for a long time.

Most people that get pissed about stands too close IMO are lessees who have no concept of property rights. Being a P**** is a good way to get kicked off a lease, because 99 times out of 100 the landowners have good relationships between each other.

+1 I am a property owner also and only care if you are shooting onto my land. And since 2006 IT IS considered trespassing if your projectile crosses the property line.
I have also had real problems with a couple of lessors next to me shooting deer on my side of the fence and dragging them over. I did press charges then and will do so again if it happens. Guy said the deer was wounded and ran to my side, doesn't matter he still has to call me to get permission to cross my line. If a hunter ever does call me to help him recover game I will not only let him but will help him.

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: texasd] #1678276 09/17/10 09:36 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
quote=texasd]im all for using everybit of land you own also.... also the deer of texas belong to texas.... [/quote]

I wish this were true but any rancher can high fence as many of those Texas public owned deer as they can for free! I don't think there should be laws telling a man what kind of fence he puts up, but I do think that after that fence goes up a one time deer count should be done and the owner pay the state for the deer he just caged in. It would stop a lot of high fencing and raise some money for the state. Sorry for the rant. mad

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: huntwest] #1678827 09/18/10 01:53 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: huntwest
Originally Posted By: texasd
im all for using everybit of land you own also.... also the deer of texas belong to texas....

I wish this were true but any rancher can high fence as many of those Texas public owned deer as they can for free! I don't think there should be laws telling a man what kind of fence he puts up, but I do think that after that fence goes up a one time deer count should be done and the owner pay the state for the deer he just caged in. It would stop a lot of high fencing and raise some money for the state. Sorry for the rant. mad

This is ridiculous and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: Eland Slayer] #1678846 09/18/10 02:00 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Putting up a high fence is far from "free".

Re: What do YOU believe??? [Re: cameron00] #1679047 09/18/10 03:54 AM
J
J McCoy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Pretty damn expensive last time I checked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide