Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: bigbuck1] #1667916 09/13/10 09:29 PM
T
txhunter24 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I dont think you will have a problem either unless you have a feeder pegged 10 yards off his fence line that you plan to shoot towards.

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: COWDOG] #1667920 09/13/10 09:31 PM
C
COWDOG Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
At least you dont have a deer camp on your fence row. The property west of us has a deer camp right on the fence row.

Campers, out house Car port etc...

Good or bad...they only come down twice a year.

"If I die in Dallas, drag my cold, dead body back to Fort Worth"
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: txhunter24] #1667930 09/13/10 09:35 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txhunter24
Cowdog, as far as we know the land owner is the hunter. I think I have the GW's number I just didnt want to have to call. Problem is my family just bought our place and this guy has probably been hunting this spot for years. Im going to try to be polite about this but we will see how it goes.

Start off introducing yourself as the new landowner. Tell him you are setting up your blind and are concerned about stray shots crossing the fence, yada yada...

You'll be out there hunting with kids and family and want to make sure your blind doesn't have an opportunity to have sots go his way and vice versa...

also talk to him about how you will handle it if a deer shot on his side jumps the fence. Exchange telephone numbers.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: COWDOG] #1667965 09/13/10 09:46 PM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
talk with them first, if that doesn't work well.... you gotta hate a windstorm

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: Texas Heat] #1668143 09/13/10 11:02 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Texas Heat
Honestly the mature way of dealing with this is to get in contact with him and voice your concerns. He may see eye to eye with you on the subject.

Now if he turns out to be a major DB, then like others said place a boxstand on your side of the fenceline facing away from his, and inline with his shot. If he cant see in your blind he would have to be crazy to take the shot not knowing if you were in there or not LOL.

I would try to talk to him first and explain how you see it. My Dad had the same problem 10 years ago in Menard Co. Talked to the other land owner across the fence- who bought 5 acreas in the back of the property and had a feeder/stand about 20' off the fence running paralelle- and expressed his concerns about his stand and feeder being inline with the new neighbors. My dads stand was about 50 yds off the fence and the feeder was further in. Needsless to say, the other guy didn't budge, so my dad fired up the Bobcat and cleaned the brush on his side of the fence.... at 6:30 opening morning. Didn't help as over a couple of years we had a couple of feeders and timers stolen.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: hoof n wings] #1668298 09/14/10 12:06 AM
C
Canazes9 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
We had a similar situation at our lease a few years back. Neighbors had their property leased and they had a stand set-up exactly as you describe. We tried to discuss it w/ them, but they were very rude and made it plain that they would put stands wherever they wanted. We discussed it with the local game warden, and he said that he couldn't do anything unless we had proof that a bullet crossed the line, but he would try and discuss it w/ them.

The stand was still their 2 weeks before opening day (about 2 months after we discussed w/ the game warden). Our land owner suggested we build a very cheap ramshackle box blind and place it so that it is directly in the line of fire on our property. No back windows in it, solid wall facing the fence. Obviously, no one was going to hunt the blind, it was their to send a message and it worked - the feeder was moved facing into their own property and the stand turned before opening day. Didn't really care if they had a stand on the fenceline, stray bullets weren't coming on our property, situation resolved.

David

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: COWDOG] #1668423 09/14/10 01:07 AM
K
kilt it Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I agree with Justin T, don't make it worse by being a DB. we had that exact situation but both blinds were back to back on the fence line. Turned out they rarely hunted that stand.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #1668477 09/14/10 01:29 AM
S
Stick-n-String Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
Every morning, go out early and put a cassette player in the weeds playing a continous loop of Old MacDonald Had a Farm. At least he'll have something to tap his feet to. If he shoots it or turns it off, you got him.

You can do this if you want a ticket. It is called hunter harassment and the GW will write the ticket before he even listens to why you did it.

Either way just man up and talk to the guy. So many issues, problems and such would be handled if people just grew a pair and talked it out.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: Stick-n-String] #1668513 09/14/10 01:41 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Talk to him first. You're gona both need to find common ground and work it out. Otherwise, you'll both be under each other's skin, and we got enough anti-hunters out there.

[Linked Image]
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: Hopedale] #1669355 09/14/10 01:09 PM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
You could have Leonardo build a 20' berm along that fenceline.lol

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: highlonesome1] #1669486 09/14/10 01:53 PM
T
txhunter24 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: highlonesome1
You could have Leonardo build a 20' berm along that fenceline.lol

Definitely! we will just turn that area into the rifle range. rifle grin

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: COWDOG] #1670156 09/14/10 05:34 PM
R
RMR Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Buy about a 20 yard tarp and hang it in his line of sight across your place.

Or, put human hair along the fenceline there and the deer wont cross.

The beauty of the Second Ammendment is it won't be needed until they try and take it.
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: COWDOG] #1672869 09/15/10 05:29 PM
L
Luckycharms_1981 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Nobody really ever wins a pissing contest because you both get pissed on! Try and talk to him, if that don't work get the Game Warden involved. At least then you'll know without a doubt you handled it the right way.

Grab ahold of something, bite your lip, and GIVE IT HELL!!!!!
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: Stick-n-String] #1673613 09/15/10 09:38 PM
B
B_Bop77 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Stick-n-String
Every morning, go out early and put a cassette player in the weeds playing a continous loop of Old MacDonald Had a Farm. At least he'll have something to tap his feet to. If he shoots it or turns it off, you got him.

You can do this if you want a ticket. It is called hunter harassment and the GW will write the ticket before he even listens to why you did it.

Either way just man up and talk to the guy. So many issues, problems and such would be handled if people just grew a pair and talked it out.

I doubt if said land owner where to do this there would be little the GW could do. Most counties in Texas do not have a sound ordinance.
If all else fails make that fence line your gut pile dump.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: B_Bop77] #1673945 09/16/10 12:37 AM
S
Stick-n-String Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: B_Bop77

I doubt if said land owner where to do this there would be little the GW could do. Most counties in Texas do not have a sound ordinance.

I am telling you legally you will get a ticket for hunter harassment. Taken directly out of tpwd booklet:

• Harassment of Hunters, Trappers, or Anglers (Sportsmen’s Rights Act – TPWD Code, §62.0125)
is punishable by a fine of $200 to $2,000 and/or 180 days in jail.

Please look it up in more detail.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: Stick-n-String] #1674262 09/16/10 03:12 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Unless you have about 20 tons of human hair large enough to form a hair wall, that little "trick" is false. Deer will cross just as frequently as they would normally. They might stop and see what the scent is, and they might move a little to the side, but human hair will not keep a deer from crossing the fenceline. Neither will human urine, doo-doo, etc.

Your best bet is to build a 20-ft solid steel wall.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: cameron00] #1674329 09/16/10 03:39 AM
G
Gummi Bear Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Start perusing thrift markets, garage sales and the like.

Buy one of those gallon sized jugs of ladies 'fine' perfume.

How you distribute it, is up to you...

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...”

Henry David Thoreau
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: Gummi Bear] #1675640 09/16/10 08:30 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I too say contact him, no need for a war. If you don't know who he is write you phone # and name on a sign & hang it on the fence. Maybe offer him help to move the blind if he needs it, you never know it could be an old man; but then again it could always be the db.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: Stick-n-String] #1675927 09/16/10 10:24 PM
B
B_Bop77 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

I am telling you legally you will get a ticket for hunter harassment. Taken directly out of tpwd booklet:

• Harassment of Hunters, Trappers, or Anglers (Sportsmen’s Rights Act – TPWD Code, §62.0125)
is punishable by a fine of $200 to $2,000 and/or 180 days in jail.

Please look it up in more detail.

"No person may enter or remain on public land or enter or
remain on private land without the landowner's or his agent's
consent if the person intends to disrupt another person lawfully
engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife."

I didn't read anything about restriction on one's own land.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: B_Bop77] #1676228 09/17/10 01:18 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I didn't read anything about restriction on one's own land.

Try this.

Quote:
Texas § 62.0125. HARASSMENT OF HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, AND FISHERMEN. (a) This section may be cited as the Sportsman's Rights Act.
(b) In this section:
(1) "Wildlife" means all species of wild mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, or amphibians.
(2) "Process of hunting or catching" means any act directed at the lawful hunting or catching of wildlife, including camping or other acts preparatory to hunting or catching of wildlife that occur on land or water on which the affected person has the right or privilege of hunting or catching that wildlife.
(c) No person may intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(d) No person may intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any wildlife for the purpose of disrupting a person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(e) No person may enter or remain on public land or enter or remain on private land without the landowner's or his agent's consent if the person intends to disrupt another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(f) This section does not apply to a peace officer of this state, a law enforcement officer of the United States, a member of the armed forces of the United States or of this state, or employees of the department or other state or federal agencies having statutory responsibility to manage wildlife or land during the time that the officer, member, or employee is in the actual discharge of official duties.
(g) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.
(h) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution that the defendant's conduct is protected by the right to freedom of speech under the constitution of this state or the United States.

Added by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 731, § 1, eff. Aug. 26, 1985.
Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 700, § 1, eff. Sept. 11,

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: dogcatcher] #1676768 09/17/10 08:06 AM
P
possom813 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I've disrupted hunters a couple of times on our family land.

My db brother in law gave the gate combination out to a bunch of his friends and they made the mistake of hunting over my hog traps last year.

I didn't know they were there until I showed up and their truck and empty trailer were parked on one of my pasture roads.

The funny thing is that they believed they had a right to hunt on our land because the brother in law said they could. But he doesn't own the property. It belongs to the mother in law and she designated me as her 'landowner' agent for all actions hunting related.

So the brother in law got pizzed off, I messed up their entire season of hunting, and kept on running my traps. The mother in law called a family meeting to discuss the permission of hunting and flat out told everyone in the family that no one other than family is allowed to hunt the land unless she personally approves or we are on the property with them.

Worked out great for me, no more poachers, very little interaction with the brother in law and his cronies.

Shortly after the meeting she changed her mind so that it's now required that unless you're me, Chad, or the brother in law, you have to have written permission from her to be on the land. No written permission means you're poaching and trespassing.

I've had to deal with them once since then, because I maintain mine and my buddy Chad's feeders(Chad's been hunting the land as long as I have and the mother in law gave him his own key to the new locks). I've caught them hunting our feeders a couple of times. Was not thrilled, I doubt they'll ever come near my stands again. My stands now have 'no trespassing' signs on the ladders or doors.

Simple solution may work for you. Get about 30 yards from their stand, hidden in the brush, hunting for critters, and fire off the rifle or shotgun into the creek shortly after sunrise on opening day.

Last edited by possom813; 09/17/10 08:12 AM.

I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.
Re: How to handle this.... [Re: COWDOG] #1677169 09/17/10 03:09 PM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Knowing you guys brandon, just have him over for a beer I'm sure you will square things up.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: highlonesome1] #1677197 09/17/10 03:22 PM
P
PSE-Xforce-AXE Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Just talk to him. I have a feeder set up on a fence line bordering the neibor. I only bow hunt and the ground around there is almost solid rock. Just talk to him and let him know your concerns. It has nothing to do with "stealing someones deer." Look at it as another feeder you don't have to take care of that will help keep the deer in your area for better management.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: PSE-Xforce-AXE] #1677204 09/17/10 03:24 PM
P
PSE-Xforce-AXE Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted By: PSE-Xforce-AXE
Just talk to him. I have a feeder set up on a fence line bordering the neibor. I only bow hunt and the ground around there is almost solid rock. Just talk to him and let him know your concerns. It has nothing to do with "stealing someones deer." Look at it as another feeder you don't have to take care of that will help keep the deer in your area for better management.

Oh ya, that one feeder I have up on the fence line is one of 4 on 205 acres. It was the only place I could put a feeder up on that side of the place. It benifits everyone, not just me.

Re: How to handle this.... [Re: COWDOG] #1677344 09/17/10 04:11 PM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
We have a neighbor with a feeder very close to the fence line. We just deal with it because its not our property so its not our decision where he puts his feeders.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide