Forums46
Topics538,572
Posts9,738,676
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can we name lakes/public hunting for dove... [Re: garrett] #1657550 09/09/10 04:14 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Hmmm. I read that entire thread. I guess I understand why people in general get their panties in a wad. On the flip side in the open hunting forum I have seen multiple posts about people understanding we need to get more people into gun ownership, hunting and the like. The reason I bring this up is people complain about the Internet Scouters and the Newbies. How are we to attract new people to this sport/activity if we are going to stay so guarded and try and hide or obscure information?

I dont expect anyone to really have a answer. just seems like there are some ideas/issues at cross paths.

Anyway, just for the record I have been lurking in this forum for about 5 years and plan to try my hand at some duck hunting this year. I will be sure to be respectful and try and stay out of others way.

Good hunting ya'll

Re: Can we name lakes/public hunting for dove... [Re: txbrian] #1657730 09/09/10 05:14 PM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
txbrian give this one a read if you really want to be entertained up

clicky

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Can we name lakes/public hunting for dove... [Re: FowlDreams] #1658218 09/09/10 08:03 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I dont know if that was entertaining. It's really kinda depressing really. I guess since I havent really duck hunted before, and have only dove hunted in jest the last 10 years, meaning only once or twice a season and not hunting hard at all. I dont know, I guess I am a bit more laid back of a hunter/person then some. At least with the public dove hunting, I sure like to see some people in the field and typically the more the better. But the deer hunter analogy in that thread speaks to a side of me as well until you consider that most of these ducks are migrating, so it's not a direct correlation. But then again, I have not duck hunted before and maybe I will understand once I walk in and try my hand at it.

Re: Can we name lakes/public hunting for dove... [Re: txbrian] #1658463 09/09/10 09:09 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
no one said dont share information...we share all sorts of info offline, the main thing people worry about is the many eyes the internet has. If you google a lake name there is a good chance a thread on here will come up for the world to see

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Can we name lakes/public hunting for dove... [Re: txbrian] #1659172 09/10/10 01:41 AM
R
RangerRick Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: txbrian
Hmmm. I read that entire thread. I guess I understand why people in general get their panties in a wad. On the flip side in the open hunting forum I have seen multiple posts about people understanding we need to get more people into gun ownership, hunting and the like. The reason I bring this up is people complain about the Internet Scouters and the Newbies. How are we to attract new people to this sport/activity if we are going to stay so guarded and try and hide or obscure information?

I dont expect anyone to really have a answer. just seems like there are some ideas/issues at cross paths.

Anyway, just for the record I have been lurking in this forum for about 5 years and plan to try my hand at some duck hunting this year. I will be sure to be respectful and try and stay out of others way.

Good hunting ya'll

I agree and hear you.
Its the same on the TFF too. Everyone would have to admit that at one time some one had to point the place out to them, or they read about it at some place and time.
Very few folks bought gear and just drove blindly to a place to hunt. There are just giving rationale reasons for being cliche(I dont like it at all but is sort of necessary. I do wish it could be different as in the older days as I understood it was before everything got so commercial).
I'm most certain that if I posted that I shot a limit of dove on unit #XXXX you can guarantee that a half dozen more groups will be there at 4am then next day.IE,If such were true and someone took the effort to pm me I'd trade numbers and we can talk on phone about where and when. (when did we stop talking to each other...a forum is terrible way to open communicate such anyways.Good way to get lost or wind up on wrong place..maybe shot at!)
Its is also lawful for them, its their privilege, not just a mine...but it really sucks when it happens(more times than not) because there are always some yahoos involved in the crowds and the opportunities are getting way to thin for most folks.

The way things should be are not often the way things are.....
Re: Can we name lakes/public hunting for dove... [Re: Jeff Elder] #1659207 09/10/10 01:50 AM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: jeff34
It killed it!! Had that place to myself until then.

Shrewd deferrence tactic.

It's in the right area to have some green on it, I might look at it this year.

Re: Can we name lakes/public hunting for dove... [Re: garrett] #1659832 09/10/10 05:50 AM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: gr_elliott
no one said dont share information...we share all sorts of info offline, the main thing people worry about is the many eyes the internet has. If you google a lake name there is a good chance a thread on here will come up for the world to see

Then the spiders should be stopped from searching the forums. It's seems logical that if you have to be a member here to use the forum search functions, you would not let Google's spider index the forums and make all the information searchable. Maybe it's cause i am a computer geek by trade that this seems so obvious. Then they have to click thru manually or become a member. This is at least a 1/2 step in the direction I think everyone would like to see.

I believe a <meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow"> is all that's needed in all the message forum pages. Or at least the forums you want google to keep it's eyes off of. With that said I am NOT a webmaster, so my advice stops there.

Anyway, not trying to stir the pot here. Just trying to learn and for a person with very little spare time for hunting or scouting in the field, i hunt and scout online and with google maps. There are just a lot of unknowns, mostly on where to gain access to places to hunt. But trust me, i understand where all of you all are coming from.

Re: Can we name lakes/public hunting for dove... [Re: txbrian] #1659850 09/10/10 07:28 AM
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
I personally get tired of people asking where the birds are. Seriously? I spend more time, gas, money, and work way to hard to find my spots. Not to mention these spots are accumalated over YEARS of scouting and learning. Im keeping my lips sealed unless your a close friend, and even then there are unwritten rules associated with that.

The guy that got me into hunting just stuck to hunting the lake we lived on. Over the years I got tired of mediocre hunting. 90% of my current spots were found on my own, not given to me, shown to me, etc...It can be done.

My advice to you is find someone who will take you in, and learn from them. Start to apply the things you learn and find your own spots. And never go back to any spots someone takes you to.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide