Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: junfan68] #1652952 09/08/10 01:41 AM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: junfan68
Quote:

x2 Forced Fetch is way overrated... it is possible to teach em without forcing anything...

Yep, and your dog will only break 60% of the time. OB is overrated.

You tell 'em!

glad you agree

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: junfan68] #1652972 09/08/10 01:45 AM
J
junfan68 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Ultimately it comes down to what you want in a dog.

You can have a dog that will be unruly in the blind, break on 60% of the birds (endanger themselves by placing them in front of guns - think ear damage!), not handle well (thereby taking 5 times as long or more to get a blind retrieve - disturbing hunting time), blinking birds, won't honor, etc.....

Then by all means, don't force.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: junfan68] #1653017 09/08/10 01:54 AM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N

You can have a dog that will be unruly in the blind, break on 60% of the birds (endanger themselves by placing them in front of guns - think ear damage!), not handle well (thereby taking 5 times as long or more to get a blind retrieve - disturbing hunting time), blinking birds, won't honor, etc.....

wow all that just from ff... rofl

you are right about one thing it is what you want in a dog... and I have all I ever wanted and about 10x more. I am really lucky.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: nogeese] #1653040 09/08/10 01:59 AM
J
junfan68 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Well, if you don't see the value in force fetching then it's clear that you have a different standard than those who choose to have their dogs trained to the higher levels.

It's like saying you want to be a good boxer but refuse to believe that footwork is important.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: nogeese] #1653064 09/08/10 02:04 AM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
It just goes back to a right way to do things and a wrong way to do them. Regardless of how many dogs you've trained, that is still an uneducated reply.

I do agree with you about the kids, but again, when I posted the first statement, it was an example, and you obviously took it out of context. Almost like I said you voted for Obama...

And like my Dad always says, "you can't wrestle a turd without getting some crap on you."

Well, I'm covered in crap.
His point was proven with you on this topic NoGeese.

Mud Shark

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: junfan68] #1653071 09/08/10 02:05 AM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Well put Junfan

Mud Shark

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Mud Shark] #1653319 09/08/10 03:15 AM
J
jkk Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Man...didnt mean to cause a such a response. I just wanted to know if there was any way to encourage my dog to pick up a bird. She will retrieve pheasant and quail so yes I do think it is the feather issue. Yes, FF may help her but I am not going to that yet. Mainly because I cant get her to a professional trainer. I have trained her myself and no she is not a field trial champ and I am not looking for one either, I was given an option to buy one but opted for one who would be a better house dog for my kids.....but she does have a good bloodline. If anyone has any input on how to adress this please let me know. I am going to keep throwing birds for her and maybe she will get used to it.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: jkk] #1653477 09/08/10 03:59 AM
Brad B Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
FF is something you can certainly do yourself. A pro's help is great but with some careful study of the material available today, there's no reason a resonable person couldn't get it done.

FF doesn't automatically equal pain and torture. When done correctly the dog learns a fair lesson and endures no long term resentment. And contrary to some people's beliefs, dogs do not harbor grudges or view pain as personally offensive.

A conditioned retrieve learned in the course of a properly applied FF program will prove to be an invaluable tool for the dog's life. Not only in relation to just picking something up but in a sense it learns how to learn.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Brad B] #1653788 09/08/10 11:57 AM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Very well said Brad.

Mud Shark

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Mud Shark] #1654158 09/08/10 02:36 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
"FF doesn't automatically equal pain and torture."

it can be done without either.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Mud Shark] #1654189 09/08/10 02:44 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
There is alot of good information in this thread. One thing that I want to throw out there is in my opinion FF is not a continuous painful deal but more uncomfortable. My dog didn't get real vocal. I didn't pinch hard enough for her to get vocal unless she didn't do what I was asking and it was never more than a wimper.

I know some trainers want to really apply pressure and that is one of the main reasons I did her myself. My dog is what many would consider soft (although she is toughening up) and I know a heavy handed trainer could've very easily ruined her. That is why I did it myself.

For the guys who are apprehensive about it order Chris Akin's Duck Dog Basics and do his steps. He does a great job in this video creating a very good duck retriever. I understand a part 2 is going to come out this fall and I will get it. The guy does an awesome job stepping you thru things and especially the force fetch and walking fetch.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Judd] #1654713 09/08/10 05:26 PM
E
EasTexHunterRetriever Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
There's a lot of good info and a lot of fluff on this thread.

Most all of it is opinion. I've never had to FF a dog to teach them that "fetch" is a command. It does sound like she is choosing not to pick it up - but FF isn't your only option.

In a lot, NOT ALL but still most, FF training programs, they punish the dog (ear or toe pinch) before teaching the dog what they want. In OB you tell the dog "sit", then enforce by pushing the butt to the ground or whatever method you use. Reward. Repetition. Same can be done with "fetch" or whatever command you give your dog when you want them to go get whatever it is they are supposed to be retrieving at the moment.

I'm open to FF but have yet to come across a dog that where was "needed" to get the desired results.

Originally Posted By: TG37

And the fact of the matter is, is no matter what level your dog is trained to or not trained to, your gonna take them home, feed them, and their gonna lay on the floor and lick their butt.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1654761 09/08/10 05:39 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: EasTexHunterRetriever

I'm open to FF but have yet to come across a dog that where was "needed" to get the desired results.

I was a field day with a HRC club a year or so back.

There was a guy there that was fairly new just bragging and bragging about how well his dog retrieved. I mean, this guy never shut up about it.

So anyhow, he goes up to the line for his turn. The duck is shot out of a winger about 60 yards away. Dog sits, watches it fall and the owner send her with her name. With all the enthusiasm in the world, the dog turns and jumps on him wanting to play. The guy ends up walking out about 5 yards and acts like he is cheering on his 3 year old for peeing in the pot. He does this the whole way. 10 painful minutes of it. Then when she gets there, she sniffs it forever, picks it up, runs 5 feet and drops. Continually, she is trying to get the owner to play with her. Later in just hanging out he comes by to me and strats bragging about how his dog has never even been force fetched and he said he doesnt think dogs require it nidea. I try my hardest not to laugh at him and walk off.

Point of the story is, some dogs do require FF. However, what makes some dogs not need it is what raises my interest.

For example. Zeke has yet to refuse to get anything I have thrown for him. If he ever does, he will immediately be FF'd. Now, is Zeke a phenomenon? I don't think so. I believe it is because I never gave him the chance to refuse. When he was a pup, 10 weeks old, and he started to come back without the bumper, I would stop him and walk him back to it, nudge the bumper with my foot and turn to walk off.

I think Zeke has just always understood what I want and alot of times we aren't real clear and we send mixed signals that make a dog question what we really want.

Now, is my believe what actually happened or am I just lucky? Who knows. But I think starting young and being consistent allows your dog to understand what you want.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Jason B] #1654786 09/08/10 05:48 PM
E
EasTexHunterRetriever Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: Jason B

Point of the story is, some dogs do require FF. However, what makes some dogs not need it is what raises my interest.

Probably. I just have yet to meet one.

And the fact of the matter is, is no matter what level your dog is trained to or not trained to, your gonna take them home, feed them, and their gonna lay on the floor and lick their butt.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: TexasEd] #1654796 09/08/10 05:51 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
A lab goes through a training program and should be a bird dog when they come out.

The dog should have come out of the birth canal a bird dog. No training can make it something it is not. FF is not going to make a dog love to hunt or love to retrieve.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: junfan68] #1654810 09/08/10 05:56 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M

Just because you are unable to train a dog to do the above without force, does not mean that it cannot be done

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Jason B] #1654822 09/08/10 06:01 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N

There was a guy there that was fairly new just bragging and bragging about how well his dog retrieved. I mean, this guy never shut up about it.

So anyhow, he goes up to the line for his turn. The duck is shot out of a winger about 60 yards away. Dog sits, watches it fall and the owner send her with her name. With all the enthusiasm in the world, the dog turns and jumps on him wanting to play. The guy ends up walking out about 5 yards and acts like he is cheering on his 3 year old for peeing in the pot. He does this the whole way. 10 painful minutes of it. Then when she gets there, she sniffs it forever, picks it up, runs 5 feet and drops. Continually, she is trying to get the owner to play with her. Later in just hanging out he comes by to me and strats bragging about how his dog has never even been force fetched and he said he doesnt think dogs require it nidea. I try my hardest not to laugh at him and walk off.

For example. Zeke has yet to refuse to get anything I have thrown for him. If he ever does, he will immediately be FF'd. Now, is Zeke a phenomenon? I don't think so. I believe it is because I never gave him the chance to refuse. When he was a pup, 10 weeks old, and he started to come back without the bumper, I would stop him and walk him back to it, nudge the bumper with my foot and turn to walk off.

I think Zeke has just always understood what I want and alot of times we aren't real clear and we send mixed signals that make a dog question what we really want.

Now, is my believe what actually happened or am I just lucky? Who knows. But I think starting young and being consistent allows your dog to understand what you want.

JB I dont think you are "just Lucky" I think that you knew going in that it was going to be a VERY LONG road to get the dog where you wanted them and were mentally prepared for what was to come, some folks dont have the time or patience for that kind of commitment,(and that is not some kind of "shot") I assume this is why alot of folks send their dogs to trainers because they dont have the time.
I personally dont have the time to spend at trials and hunt cluds I would rather be in the field with my buddy (again not throwing stones).
Finally... Dont anyone think I have never been mad at my dog for being STUPID! because we have our moments... when I get to that point we are done training... this has served me pretty well so far.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: nogeese] #1654879 09/08/10 06:20 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Good Point Nogeese. I look at the hunt test and training this way though: Hunting season is over. If I go to hunt test and run, i get to spend time with my dog, do something i like, and watch him do what he loves. Pass or fail, it's a win-win deal.

Since you can't hunt year round, why not keep playing the game with you bud?

Just another way to look at it.

Mud Shark

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Mud Shark] #1654889 09/08/10 06:24 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Good Point Nogeese. I look at the hunt test and training this way though: Hunting season is over. If I go to hunt test and run, i get to spend time with my dog, do something i like, and watch him do what he loves. Pass or fail, it's a win-win deal.

I was about to say the exact same thing. Our dogs are rarely in a test during hunting season unless we are close to a title. The tests are a blast and fun to watch some great dogs run. If you haven't been to one go check it out.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Jason B] #1654927 09/08/10 06:40 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

Point of the story is, some dogs do require FF. However, what makes some dogs not need it is what raises my interest./quote]

Every club (whether it be fishing, hunting, knitting, etc) has DB's like that. Guys that have adequacy issues and have to tell everyone how great they are. I've dealt with them, not fun.

[quote=JasonB]For example. Zeke has yet to refuse to get anything I have thrown for him. If he ever does, he will immediately be FF'd.

Won't it be too late? For example, lets say there is ice just starting to form on the water and it is freezing outside your hunting and kill the biggest banded mallard you ever saw...it lands in the center of the pond and you release Zeke and he doesn't go, he has had enough of the cold and won't go in the water. You waste the duck...

I know 100% that if my dog won't go and I then say fetch and she still doesn't go something is wrong, we need a vet.

We could come up with other scenarios but until you see it or have to experience it you won't see the advantage. I would rather plan for things to happen and be proactive then reactive to the situation. For example, I have already had my dog next to a layout blind, in the boat, snake trained, in a blind and retrieving flyers this off season and all because I want her to know and I want to know how she will react in a situation before the situation occurs.

I do see y'alls points and glad you are happy with your dog...Zeke and Dude are great looking dogs and your the only one they have to please. If you don't want to do it then don't.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: phb] #1654929 09/08/10 06:41 PM
F
Fowl Shot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
I've had dogs that NEEDED FF... I mean, no way, no how was that dog gonna get the retrieve until I made it more uncomfortable to refuse than to not. Those were dogs I enjoyed, but not near as much as some I NEVER had to FF... they were so much into the game, refusing just never seemed to come to mind for 'em. Maybe it's genetics, maybe it's temperament, maybe it's training... I think it's all of these and more. But I know this for sure, I HAVE had dogs that didn't 'NEED' the FF and I've had some that for their OWN good (vs a knock in the head), DID! Guess ya could say 'dogs are people, too.'

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Judd] #1655027 09/08/10 07:17 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Judd, not saying Zeke will not get FF'd, he just needs to prove to me that he requires it. And to be honest, I believe most dogs do require FF especially for the OP where the dog refused to retrieve. Zeke just hasn't shown me that yet. But, like I say, once he does, he will be FF'd.

And as for that banded mallard drake, I'll get him off the ice somehow, aint no way I'm sending Zeke on the ice anyways grin

But we all know, every dog will eventually break, and every dog will eventually refuse a retrieve cheers

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: Mud Shark] #1655163 09/08/10 08:04 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N

I hear ya... I am lucky enough to have access to some land with water and PLENTY of blackbirds so we go for "full rehersal" several times a year. I also keep several spoonies in the freezer for this reason. If she refused to pick up a Spoonie I would prolly let that slide rofl

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: MS1454] #1655262 09/08/10 08:33 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: MS1454
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
A lab goes through a training program and should be a bird dog when they come out.

The dog should have come out of the birth canal a bird dog. No training can make it something it is not. FF is not going to make a dog love to hunt or love to retrieve.

That's a head scratcher. I don't think your definition of a bird dog is the same as mine.

I'm 100% sure pups come out the birth canal unable to retrieve. If you've got that exceptional dog that can bring me a duck at 3 days old buy a lottery ticket or join the circus. Just being a lab, golden, chessie, or standard poodle does not make a bird dog, just a member of the retrieving breeds. Being a reliable working retriever in the field is what makes a bird dog. It is something earned not deeded upon birth - regardless of the pedigree.

Drive and Desire are not the points of my post. Sure you need that as a foundation, but that only gets you so far. I can make a lot of money off betting you that dogs that have not been trained to retrieve ducks will not do it as reliably as dogs that have. You might beat the odds once in a while, but I'll clean house on the averages.

I've seen more than one dog with drive spit a bird, chomp and chew a bird, and even whizzz on a bird he brought half way back to his owner. All those things are training related and I'd bet those dogs were not FF'd.

I'm not saying you have to FF your dog, just saying that you shouldn't expect the same standard from them.

Re: Lab will not retrieve dove.... [Re: TexasEd] #1655299 09/08/10 08:43 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I think you said it Ed. Some peoples standards aren't as high as others. And some people think they can reinvent the wheel, but really, they just piss up hill.
I would also put just about any dog with formal training up against any dog with out it. Like you said, every once in a while, one might sneak past the goalie, but I'd take my chances. Yes these BREEDS are bred to retrieve, but with out training, most of them are just another member of the breed.

Would Michael Jordan be who he is with out fundamental training, coaching, discipline? No, he wouldn't, and I just don't see how people don't understand that about dogs. You have to teach them to do things you want. Plain and simple.

So TexasEd, well said sir!

Mud Shark

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide