Forums46
Topics538,397
Posts9,736,676
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1654323 09/08/10 03:18 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: EasTexHunterRetriever
Originally Posted By: phb

Wow.....so you can't send me your info? So somebody that might be able to gain some training information from you is "wasting your time"? If you don't want to say who you are then just say that, but please don't tell me I am not interested because I am...
\

You're full of it. I've read your 'interest' on other threads and it goes along the lines of getting fire power to diss and then dismiss the trainer.

Not a can't. It's a won't, because if you wanted my info that badly you would, at the very least, A) tell me who you are B) really send the PM you told everyone you did (but you didn't)and C) know there's a difference b/t SAR, service and therapy dogs, as anyone with a true interest in something does the research BEFORE hitting up trainers for advice.

Like I said - I don't do pretenses. Say what you mean.

I apologize nogeese, I didn't want to hijack your thread.

Wow, I guess thanks for telling me what I am, and not interested in. I will send you a PM with my info...

And I did send Judd a PM, he was the one who asked for my name. Thanks I do know the difference between different venues within the breed. Just because therapy is an interest to me and you do not "train" for that, you may have techniques that might help me...

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1654455 09/08/10 03:51 PM
E
EasTexHunterRetriever Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Wow, I guess thanks for telling me what I am, and not interested in. I will send you a PM with my info...

And I did send Judd a PM, he was the one who asked for my name. Thanks I do know the difference between different venues within the breed. Just because therapy is an interest to me and you do not "train" for that, you may have techniques that might help me...

You might have a passing interest but from you have said so far, there isn't anything that leads one to believe my time and training ability would be put to good use answering your questions.

Therapy is completely different - other than basic training that applies to all fields there aren't too terribly many similarities. Like I said - do the research.

If you would like to continue to harass me, take it to another thread or a PM. It's interesting to see you "respect he/she doesn't want to hijack the thread" yet you continue to badger me. Leave nogeese's thread for the topic he originally posted for. I'm done here with this particular subject.

Originally Posted By: TG37

And the fact of the matter is, is no matter what level your dog is trained to or not trained to, your gonna take them home, feed them, and their gonna lay on the floor and lick their butt.

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1654483 09/08/10 03:57 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: EasTexHunterRetriever

You might have a passing interest but from you have said so far, there isn't anything that leads one to believe my time and training ability would be put to good use answering your questions.

Therapy is completely different - other than basic training that applies to all fields there aren't too terribly many similarities. Like I said - do the research.

If you would like to continue to harass me, take it to another thread or a PM. It's interesting to see you "respect he/she doesn't want to hijack the thread" yet you continue to badger me. Leave nogeese's thread for the topic he originally posted for. I'm done here with this particular subject.

Wow we have been talking nicely via PM and now you are posting this? I am very confused??

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1654486 09/08/10 03:58 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I don't want to get in the middle of this, but y'all really should stop this conversation in this thread. PM each other and do it on there. There is a difference in stating your point, and debating it, but y'all, really?

And on a side note, if you are a professional trainer, you should probably go ahead and list your information, just so those of us who aren't pro's, can get intouch with you if we would like, whether you think we are interested or not.

NoGeese, I know we've got different opinions on some things, but this thread started out great.

Mud Shark

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: Mud Shark] #1654506 09/08/10 04:06 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I don't want to get in the middle of this, but y'all really should stop this conversation in this thread. PM each other and do it on there. There is a difference in stating your point, and debating it, but y'all, really?

And on a side note, if you are a professional trainer, you should probably go ahead and list your information, just so those of us who aren't pro's, can get intouch with you if we would like, whether you think we are interested or not.

NoGeese, I know we've got different opinions on some things, but this thread started out great.

Agreed.... Sorry!! We had taken it to a PM which is why I was confused about the last post from them...

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1654688 09/08/10 05:15 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
But she doesn't claim to be a "trainer" she "coaches"....

Absolutely. Matter of fact, this is, nogeese, one of the ways I keep it interesting for me! It's rewarding to help a new dog owner/handler/hunter build the handling skills that will help him/her bond with that new canine companion. For me, coaching, working with the dog AND the hunter is a special challenge with accompanying, special rewards. I enjoy empowering someone to be a better handler and grow in his or her abilities to train their own dog. It leads to a great handler/dog relationship which makes hunting - and all other shared activities - all the better. There are a lot of folks on here who have commented or complimented me for the 'free advice'... they don't realize I got 'paid' when they said that, or shot me an email saying "Thanks Iron Spikes - it worked!"

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: Mud Shark] #1654708 09/08/10 05:25 PM
N
nogeese Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N

TG no offence taken if we all did it exactly the same way nothing would ever change up

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: nogeese] #1654710 09/08/10 05:26 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: nogeese
Ok, I will ask this as gingerly as possible, and please! dont get all crazy... Just be honest...

So you train dogs all the time it is a living and you love it... how do you keep the joy and respect/love for the dogs over all that time, do they begin to all seem like "just dogs" or do you have a unique bond to each pup? Do you feel sorrow when you hear of one passing? do you look forward to hearing about the pups that have been through your prograhm? I guess do the dogs begin to loose their individuality? (sp)

For example, I was a scuba instructor in College I got to dive some of the greatest places in the world but after awhile it just got to be work, and one day I went on a dive had a good time and NEVER got back into the water (that was about 20 years ago)

lol... nogeese, I see you said "...and please! Don't get all crazy..." How's that workin for ya? ROFL...

From a training perspective, I absolutely remember each pup. And yeah, it breaks my heart when ANY dog is lost - even if it's not one of 'mine', cuz these hunting buddies play a special role in our lives.

I do develop a separate relationship with each pup - they're all different and I don't do 'cookie cutter' training with them. So, getting to know the pup is half the challenge and at the same time, half the fun. Over the years, I've gotten pretty adept at picking out temperaments and pack order early on and then it's fun to watch 'em grow, see how well I sized up the pup. That's probably the part I remember most about each dog, too... their quirks - not how WELL they performed, but HOW they did... gusto? calm? focused? hard-headed? competitive?

One other great aspect about working with gun dogs... the great folks they've helped me meet! No, it hasn't gotten old hat yet and I hope it never does... but if it does, I'll be layin' down my whistle cuz no dog needs to be subjected to a trainer that doesn't have his or her heart - and that dog's best interest - in it.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1654722 09/08/10 05:28 PM
N
nogeese Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
I do try and put in a qualifier... but to no avail!

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: nogeese] #1654754 09/08/10 05:37 PM
N
nogeese Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
now that we are back on topic smile I would add that I would love to train dogs (preferably labs) but I could probably make more money stocking shelves at wal mart... and my wife and kids have come to expect a certain level of living... If ya know what I mean. smile
It is definatly something I will do on my own with my own personal dog for the rest of my days. I will prolly outlive my current dog but I can assure you that I will not live another day on this earth without one by my side. smile

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: nogeese] #1654904 09/08/10 06:30 PM
F
Fowl Shot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Originally Posted By: nogeese
It is definatly something I will do on my own with my own personal dog for the rest of my days. I will prolly outlive my current dog but I can assure you that I will not live another day on this earth without one by my side. smile

They have that kinda effect on ya, don't they? And hunting with a dog vs without one... two different sports.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide