Page 1 of 2 1 2
Question for the trainers... #1652143 09/07/10 09:40 PM
N
nogeese Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
Ok, I will ask this as gingerly as possible, and please! dont get all crazy... Just be honest...

So you train dogs all the time it is a living and you love it... how do you keep the joy and respect/love for the dogs over all that time, do they begin to all seem like "just dogs" or do you have a unique bond to each pup? Do you feel sorrow when you hear of one passing? do you look forward to hearing about the pups that have been through your prograhm? I guess do the dogs begin to loose their individuality? (sp)

For example, I was a scuba instructor in College I got to dive some of the greatest places in the world but after awhile it just got to be work, and one day I went on a dive had a good time and NEVER got back into the water (that was about 20 years ago)

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: nogeese] #1652361 09/07/10 10:42 PM
E
EasTexHunterRetriever Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I can't honestly say I get a special bond with every dog that I work with. Every dog is different, some just like having a job to do and others thrive off the relationship with the handler. I enjoy seeing all the different personalities and the strengths and weaknesses in almost every dog. The ones I bond with are a blast and I always want to know how they are doing once they've left. It's always such a thrill when folks send pics and let us know how the dogs are working for them - so when put in that respect they are unique.

Originally Posted By: TG37

And the fact of the matter is, is no matter what level your dog is trained to or not trained to, your gonna take them home, feed them, and their gonna lay on the floor and lick their butt.

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: nogeese] #1652363 09/07/10 10:43 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Good dog trainers are like any good teacher. They stay passionate about what they do. We all know the teachers that are that way and those that aren't

My daughter was very average in Math in high school. She got a teacher that really turned her onto math. She still wasn't the greatest at it but she loved it and was no longer frustrated by it. Her math teacher help her choose her profession because of her new understanding and love of math.

Like any teacher I like to hear about how well a dog is working out for the client. Also when they pass I feel bad.

Do I love all my students, would I want to own every dog I train? Heck no,,, but that doesn't keep me from helping that dog become the best retriever it can be.

I know I couldn't just do classes. That bores me. I have to be actively developing a dog into a well trained finished retriever. That's what feeds me and keeps me jumping out of bed in the morning excited about my work.

If you don't have a passion for this work you really don't become very good at it. It's hard work for a modest income with very few real days off if any.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: nogeese] #1653658 09/08/10 05:35 AM
F
Fowl Shot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Originally Posted By: nogeese
So you train dogs all the time it is a living and you love it... how do you keep the joy and respect/love for the dogs over all that time, do they begin to all seem like "just dogs" or do you have a unique bond to each pup? Do you feel sorrow when you hear of one passing? do you look forward to hearing about the pups that have been through your prograhm? I guess do the dogs begin to loose their individuality?

Be interested to see the answers here, nogeese... could stand to hook up with a good trainer.

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: Fowl Shot] #1653673 09/08/10 05:55 AM
E
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: Fowl Shot

Be interested to see the answers here, nogeese... could stand to hook up with a good trainer.

Check out Iron Spike Ranch. up

http://ironspikeranch.com/default.aspx

And the fact of the matter is, is no matter what level your dog is trained to or not trained to, your gonna take them home, feed them, and their gonna lay on the floor and lick their butt.

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1653873 09/08/10 12:58 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: EasTexHunterRetriever

I thought he said "good" trainer.... LOL

This is a good question, though. Interesting to see answers.

Last edited by phb; 09/08/10 01:01 PM.
Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1653903 09/08/10 01:10 PM
E
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: phb

I thought he said "good" trainer.... LOL

This is a good question, though. Interesting to see answers.

And you are....??

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1653929 09/08/10 01:21 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Not a trainer, but have been around some of the good and bad. Who are you??
I really thought you were being funny.... sorry! But she doesn't claim to be a "trainer" she "coaches"....

Last edited by phb; 09/08/10 01:25 PM.
Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1653943 09/08/10 01:25 PM
E
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Not a trainer, but have been around some of the good and bad. Who are you??
I really thought you were being funny.... sorry!

Oh so you are personally familiar with Iron Spike and their trainers? Neat! Great folks - beautiful facilities too, huh?

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1653955 09/08/10 01:29 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
there was an LOL after he said it.

Mud Shark

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1653965 09/08/10 01:31 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I am not going to make this thread a debate about Ironspike, there have been too many threads wasted on the subject. I have had my own experience as far as looking at puppies and we will leave it at that. Lets go back to the original question...it was a good one...

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1653990 09/08/10 01:41 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
EasTexHunterRetriever you answered the question as if you do some training of retrievers. Who are you? Are you a trainer? Where is your location? Always good to know the trainers in certain areas... smile

Last edited by phb; 09/08/10 01:41 PM.
Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1654026 09/08/10 01:51 PM
E
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
EasTexHunterRetriever you answered the question as if you do some training of retrievers. Who are you? Are you a trainer? Where is your location? Always good to know the trainers in certain areas... smile

Yes I do train dogs - Search and Rescue, Service Dogs and some gun dogs.

As far as the other questions you asked - that's my business and this thread isn't about me.

If you didn't want it to be a debate about Iron Spike then you probably shouldn't have made that comment. wtf

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1654060 09/08/10 02:03 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P

As far as the other questions you asked - that's my business and this thread isn't about me.

If you didn't want it to be a debate about Iron Spike then you probably shouldn't have made that comment. wtf

Once again thought you were kidding about Ironspike...

Who are you and your location? I know this thread isn't "about" you, but I try to stay current with the breed and trainers and it is always good to know the location of trainers. Search and Reascue is very interesting. Do you have a website?

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1654066 09/08/10 02:04 PM
E
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E

Who are you and your location? I know this thread isn't "about" you, but I try to stay current with the breed and trainers and it is always good to know the location of trainers. Search and Reascue is very interesting. Do you have a website?

Belongs in a PM not a thread.

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1654074 09/08/10 02:07 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P

Belongs in a PM not a thread.

Can you PM me??

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1654089 09/08/10 02:10 PM
E
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E

And as a note I don't do this crap with pretenses. I say what I mean. Up front.

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1654122 09/08/10 02:21 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P

And as a note I don't this crap with pretenses. I say what I mean. Up front.

Super!! Can I get a PM with your info?

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1654147 09/08/10 02:30 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
phb...you're so worried about who everyone is why don't you post using your name here or just post your name?

Just curious, as an outsider you are really badgering this guy that gave some good information on this post.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: Judd] #1654156 09/08/10 02:35 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: Judd
phb...you're so worried about who everyone is why don't you post using your name here or just post your name?

Just curious, as an outsider you are really badgering this guy that gave some good information on this post.

He/She gave good info as a trainer. Why can't I ask who they are? A PM is fine with me. I am very involved in different aspects of the breed, field, show, obedience, and would love to get into the therapy dog aspect. Maybe this person as a trainer can help me out. Just curious who they are? Is that so wrong? I am not badgering them by asking who they are, am I? Like I said a PM is fine with me, I respect he/she doesn't want to hijack the thread.

Last edited by phb; 09/08/10 02:38 PM.
Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1654163 09/08/10 02:37 PM
N
nogeese Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N

He/She gave good info as a trainer. Why can't I ask who they are? A PM is fine with me. I am very involved in different aspects of the breed, field, show, obedience, and would love to get into the therapy dog aspect. Maybe this person as a trainer can help me out. Just curious who they are? Is that so wrong?

no it isnt wrong, but you didnt answer his question....

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: nogeese] #1654181 09/08/10 02:41 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted By: nogeese

He/She gave good info as a trainer. Why can't I ask who they are? A PM is fine with me. I am very involved in different aspects of the breed, field, show, obedience, and would love to get into the therapy dog aspect. Maybe this person as a trainer can help me out. Just curious who they are? Is that so wrong?

no it isnt wrong, but you didnt answer his question....

I can.... Not sure why you want to know... PM sent

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1654185 09/08/10 02:42 PM
E
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E

He/She gave good info as a trainer. Why can't I ask who they are? A PM is fine with me. I am very involved in different aspects of the breed, field, show, obedience, and would love to get into the therapy dog aspect. Maybe this person as a trainer can help me out. Just curious who they are? Is that so wrong? I am not badgering them by asking who they are, am I? Like I said a PM is fine with me, I respect he/she doesn't want to hijack the thread.

It is wrong when you are not truly interested and just wasting my time. I don't do therapy dogs, so you're barking up the wrong tree.

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1654211 09/08/10 02:48 PM
P
phb Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P

It is wrong when you are not truly interested and just wasting my time. I don't do therapy dogs, so you're barking up the wrong tree.

Wow.....so you can't send me your info? So somebody that might be able to gain some training information from you is "wasting your time"? If you don't want to say who you are then just say that, but please don't tell me I am not interested because I am...

Re: Question for the trainers... [Re: phb] #1654239 09/08/10 02:55 PM
E
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E

Wow.....so you can't send me your info? So somebody that might be able to gain some training information from you is "wasting your time"? If you don't want to say who you are then just say that, but please don't tell me I am not interested because I am...
\

You're full of it. I've read your 'interest' on other threads and it goes along the lines of getting fire power to diss and then dismiss the trainer.

Not a can't. It's a won't, because if you wanted my info that badly you would, at the very least, A) tell me who you are B) really send the PM you told everyone you did (but you didn't)and C) know there's a difference b/t SAR, service and therapy dogs, as anyone with a true interest in something does the research BEFORE hitting up trainers for advice.

Like I said - I don't do pretenses. Say what you mean.

I apologize nogeese, I didn't want to hijack your thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide