Print Thread
What would you do? #1646645 09/04/10 08:57 PM
C
cockerfan Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
I realize no realize that no one can make this decision for me, but I would really like some input. I have an opportunity to go dove hunting next weekend, and I would love to be able to take one of my dogs along. The issue is that I have not been in tx long enough to get them into a snake avoidance class. After my one runin with a snake already I know that they will not leave a snake alone if they find one. What are the chances we would run into problems on a dove hunt north of denton? Would you take your dog if you were in my position?

Last edited by cockerfan; 09/04/10 09:25 PM.

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: cockerfan] #1646683 09/04/10 09:27 PM
R
R.G.C. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Where you going up there?
Is there going to be any water?
does it look snakey?
Alot of hay bails in the field?

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: R.G.C.] #1646707 09/04/10 09:52 PM
C
cockerfan Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
It's by Era, but I have not seen the property yet. Honestly, I wouldn't know what snakey even looked like. Water and haybales are bad though?

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: cockerfan] #1646853 09/04/10 11:58 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I wouldn't bring a dog without the snake clinic training. The dog has a natural curisoity, and to me it just isn't worth it IMO

[Linked Image]
Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: Hopedale] #1646935 09/05/10 01:06 AM
G
GSP_Guy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: Hopedale
I wouldn't bring a dog without the snake clinic training. The dog has a natural curisoity, and to me it just isn't worth it IMO

+1 unless you have an extra $1k laying around for vet bills

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: GSP_Guy] #1647208 09/05/10 04:34 AM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Era is a good place...I mean great place for rattlebugs. I say don't take em if you know they like to investigate/play with snakes coach

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: Jason B] #1647323 09/05/10 12:42 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
If it was me, I'd take the dog and have fun. Keep an eye and her and go. Keep the collar on him/her and IF a snake is found, call the dog off immediately along with a pretty good zap. Dogs can't learn how to hunt in the backyard.

Last edited by DoubleB20; 09/05/10 12:42 PM.
Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: DoubleB20] #1647468 09/05/10 03:19 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I agree with DoubleB20 100%.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: reeltexan] #1647668 09/05/10 05:36 PM
R
R.G.C. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
yea just watch where your going with her and be extra caustious around hay bails and wood piles. Like was said can teach everything in the back yard.

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: reeltexan] #1647759 09/05/10 06:52 PM
C
cockerfan Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
I was hoping for a unanimous vote here, this isn't helping me! While I do have a nice g3 collar, I haven't used it in almost a year. My pup isn't old enough to wear one, and my 2 year old performs exceptionally well without one. I suppose I could slap it on her for the day though. I assume I should avoid water areas and haybales if I decide to take her? Anyone know of any snake clinics in the dallas area in the near future?

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: cockerfan] #1650589 09/07/10 01:28 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Just GO! The snake clinics help, but they aren't a 100% guarantee. My Brittany got the training last year the first weekend of August, the first week of September we were dove hunting and she retreived a 5 foot bull snake to hand. confused2

I don't want my dogs bit either, but your logic can be compared to driving.

"I MIGHT get in a wreck so I'm going to stop driving."

Take your dogs and go, it will be OK. I'm thinking maybe you're more scared of the snakes than you want to admit and you're blaming it on the dogs. cheers

I worry about a lot of things more than snakes when I'm hunting... dogs get cuts, can break legs, overheat, get shot, get run over, etc.

Snakes are way down the list of things to worry about. IMO.

Now let's go hunting!

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: DoubleB20] #1651195 09/07/10 04:51 PM
C
cockerfan Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: DoubleB20

Take your dogs and go, it will be OK. I'm thinking maybe you're more scared of the snakes than you want to admit and you're blaming it on the dogs. cheers

Thanks for the helpful response. My question want necessarily if there was any risk in taking a dog, but more of how high is the risk. I came from iowa and didn't have to worry about snakes at all up there, so I really didn't know the level of risk down here.
As to being scared myself, I am going either way, it's just a matter of whether or not I will have a dog with! I grew up in the country, hunting and trapping nearly every day of the season, so I an quite comfortable off of pavement!

Thanks again for the advice.

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: cockerfan] #1651734 09/07/10 07:45 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Take your dog and hunt. Get the rattlesnake vaccine (saved my dog). I am snaked trained but doesn't mean I can't stumble across one. Hunt with your dog and have fun, you won't regret it.

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: DoubleB20] #1651767 09/07/10 07:56 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Just GO! The snake clinics help, but they aren't a 100% guarantee. My Brittany got the training last year the first weekend of August, the first week of September we were dove hunting and she retreived a 5 foot bull snake to hand. confused2

I worry about a lot of things more than snakes when I'm hunting... dogs get cuts, can break legs, overheat, get shot, get run over, etc.

Now let's go hunting!

X2, I could not say it any better myself. Just be as careful as you can. We all take some calculated risks with hunting dogs. I hunted night hounds for several years. Usually three nights a week during summer months. Much more exposure to snakes than my bird dogs ever had. Can the worse happen. Sure it can. I have had two dogs bitten over the years, but I hunt alot. My only alternative would be to not hunt, not hunt with a dog, or limit my hunting to only the coldest months. With anything you do, there are risks. I was in a wreck on the highway on the way back from Dove hunting the other day. Like my two dogs that were bitten, I came out of it just fine. It could have been much worse, but I am not going to stop driving because of that.

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: DoubleB20] #1652078 09/07/10 09:23 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Now let's go hunting!

X2 I like the way you think...

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1652386 09/07/10 10:49 PM
E
EasTexHunterRetriever Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Now let's go hunting!

X2 I like the way you think...

X3

Originally Posted By: TG37

And the fact of the matter is, is no matter what level your dog is trained to or not trained to, your gonna take them home, feed them, and their gonna lay on the floor and lick their butt.

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1653647 09/08/10 05:25 AM
F
Fowl Shot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
I'd go. When it's my time to die, I don't think I'll regret any of the things I dared to do and screwed up, but I'll sure as heck relent all those things I passed up outta fear or worry. Live while ya can. I've seen good gun dogs die in some bad ways but I'll say this... I think they preferred to die doin what they loved over living at home doin' nothin. Dogs live for the moment, so give her plenty of great moments!

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: Fowl Shot] #1654174 09/08/10 02:39 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Fowl Shot
I'd go. When it's my time to die, I don't think I'll regret any of the things I dared to do and screwed up, but I'll sure as heck relent all those things I passed up outta fear or worry. Live while ya can. I've seen good gun dogs die in some bad ways but I'll say this... I think they preferred to die doin what they loved over living at home doin' nothin. Dogs live for the moment, so give her plenty of great moments!

very well said!

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: nogeese] #1654198 09/08/10 02:46 PM
E
EasTexHunterRetriever Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: nogeese

very well said!

Agreed!

Originally Posted By: TG37

And the fact of the matter is, is no matter what level your dog is trained to or not trained to, your gonna take them home, feed them, and their gonna lay on the floor and lick their butt.

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1654911 09/08/10 06:32 PM
F
Fowl Shot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Originally Posted By: EasTexHunterRetriever

very well said!

Agreed!

Thanks for the warm welcome, y'all...

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: Fowl Shot] #1655174 09/08/10 08:07 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: EasTexHunterRetriever

very well said!

Agreed!

Thanks for the warm welcome, y'all...

well dont get to upidy and it will stay that way! smile

Re: OneWhat would you do? [Re: nogeese] #1656753 09/09/10 04:32 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
rofl rofl rofl rofl @ nogeese...

OR... is it rifle? lol

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups