Print Thread
Scary Moments #1652037 09/07/10 09:11 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
So, the other day Zeke goes down to the pond for an after hunt swim. He's about 75 yards away and Im bs ing with a friend. All of the sudden I hear a yelp (which he never does) and I instantly think water mocassin. I killed three with a shotgun the other day in that pond.

Anywho, I call him back and inspect him. No limp, no blood, so I figure I will watch it for a while. Nothing ever came about it so I guess a turtle or fish got him on the twig and berries confused2.

Now, yesterday I brush hogged down the coastal since the rain was coming. I decide to clear the fence line of trees growing in it to keep from ruining the new fence. So there I am, chopping away and all of the sudden on a swing, I hit something solid. Zeke had snuck up behind me and I came right across the left side of his face. I immediately inspected him. Luckily no cuts as the machete was duller than a 2" tree branch (10 minutes earlier I almost went to the grinder to sharpen it).

So Zeke has used up about 5 of his 9 lives if he was a cat. Think I better just leave him in the kennel for a week or so.....

What are your scary moments?

Re: Scary Moments [Re: Jason B] #1652055 09/07/10 09:16 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I was walking Cuervo last week at 330 am, he stared to chase something( I figured it was a rabbit) so I called him back, he was barking and growling. I lit up the flash light and saw that there was a bobcat standing about 20 yards away.

Re: Scary Moments [Re: kdub] #1652061 09/07/10 09:17 PM
J
Jason B Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
clap Congrats! You got a treeing lab!

Zeke's other hobby is fishing. Unfortunately, all he has brought me is mud cat.

Re: Scary Moments [Re: Jason B] #1652343 09/07/10 10:37 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
About 6 weeks ago I met a buddy at a pond to train and we did our thing and got ready to go I started jogging back to the truck and Oakley was trotting next to me. I was about 3 steps from a cattle guard before I realized it and stopped...she slowed down just enough to keep from getting hurt. All I could get out was WHOA...and then AWWWW...she acted like she was fine and nothing happened. Scared the crud out of me.

Of course last Wed after some pile work she played with the other dogs in the yard and we come in and she is limping. I have no idea what happened or how but all I can find (she act like it is her paw because when she stands she will shift weight off of it) is the side of a toe nail is chipped off. She still runs and wants to play and act silly but I have been trying to keep it to a minimum. She was still limping a bit when I left this morning but it seems to bet getting better. Weird thing is she isn't licking it and I can't find anything that bothers her. If she isn't better by tomorrow we are going to the vet to see what is up. I need her Saturday so we'll see what they say?

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Scary Moments [Re: Judd] #1652563 09/07/10 11:57 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
All of these happened at my dad's place north of Paris.

Couple years back we had her tied up on the dock and my dad and I headed across the pond to fish the other side. My gf started to yell at me and I look across the pond and Paxton is hanging off the side of the dock. The water was close to 10 feet low and somehow the short knot we had her on came loose and she got enough slack to hang about half way between the dock and the dried up bank. I took off running and my gf was able to get her loose before I made it back. Thank God for my dogs thick neck muscles.

End of August this year we were up there visiting and Paxton was running along the four wheelers. She tried jumping across a cattle guard and missed just enough to have her back legs catch the between the last two pipes. No harm done. Then she decided out of nowhere to cut in front of my gf and nearly got ran over.

[Linked Image]

Re: Scary Moments [Re: Fooshman] #1653640 09/08/10 05:19 AM
F
Fowl Shot Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Ran over my dog with my ATV... I mean flat rolled him under it and the back tire went over his head (according to my buddy who was trailing us.) Dog jumps up and takes off, seems totally disoriented - then disappears. I'm lookin for him for HOURS. Find him that night on the front porch curled up under a chair. No response when I call him - I'm thinking he curled up there to die in a familiar but quiet and dark place. Turns out he's a bit battered and bruised, but ok... 'cept he burned his cojones on the muffler.

Re: Scary Moments [Re: Fowl Shot] #1653694 09/08/10 07:42 AM
Q
QuackStacker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Q
few years back i was driving with my dog in the back of the truck. she knew not to get up on the sides, when she did id tap the breaks and she'd get down. i saw her in the mirror going back and forth, kinda weird i thot, then all the sudden she gets up on the driver side, legs pretty far over, and on instinct i tapped the breaks. there she went, right over the side, doing 65 down the road. all i saw was her sliding and rolling as i was making 40' of skids. when i got stopped she was running flat out, past me and up the middle of the road. after i finally caught up and got her, she didnt know where she was, but she was okay for the most part. quite a bit of road rash, a V shaped cut under her chin, cut under her tail and some broken toenails.... truck bed had strong odor of urine, i think she needed to go and thats why she was pacing back and forth so weird. the fall scared it out. scared the hell out of me. needless to say she doesnt ride in the back anymore...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide