Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: txtrophy85] #1633720 08/30/10 12:45 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: vanguard
wildlife is a natural renewable resource such as a creek or stream and should not be confined.
Its against the law to damn a creek or river, high fence is nothing more than a damn and should not be allowed, .

I know several ranches that dam creeks and rivers, with proper permiting its perfectly legal.

just like highfenceing a ranch, you can take a shallow creek devoid of anything bigger than a shiner and make it a wildlife haven.

Highfencing should't be a legal issue, its a moral issue.

with proper permits yes, pretty much wont allow you to stop flow down stream
they alow you to damn for a certain size pool but property owners have rights down stream, you cannot stop the flow

(a) No person may construct, attempt to construct, cause to be constructed, maintain, or cause to be maintained any levee or other such improvement on, along, or near any stream of this state that is subject to floods, freshets, or overflows so as to control, regulate, or otherwise change the floodwater of the stream without first obtaining approval of the plans by the commission.

Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: cody] #1633884 08/30/10 01:54 PM
F
furfinrfeather Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
How high would a fence have to be before it's a "High Fence"? Maybe I want rabbits to be able to hop over so I would think a 2' fence is too high.

Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: furfinrfeather] #1633912 08/30/10 02:05 PM
W
wacorusty Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I'm not up to snuff on it like some of you guys so I can't debate it thoroughly but my heart is torn. Private property is private property. We already have enough laws in this world. My other half says what are the long term ramifications. Nature can be a b**** if you don't respect her. I am 100% happy that there are very few high fences in my area. If I had 100 million dollars and 10,000 acres I might take a firmer stance. argue with myself

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: wacorusty] #1634322 08/30/10 04:38 PM
T
Tex-Star Wildlife Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
The decision to high fence a ranch is a private property issue and should be left to the discretion of the landowner without interference from others.

Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: rstewlandman] #1637940 08/31/10 08:32 PM
L
Luckycharms_1981 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted By: rstewlandman
Not no but heck no! No way to do it. In fact they need not worry about banning them and start building a real good one along the Rio grande

X2

Grab ahold of something, bite your lip, and GIVE IT HELL!!!!!
Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: Luckycharms_1981] #1637946 08/31/10 08:34 PM
L
Luckycharms_1981 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
HELL NO!!! If you own the deed to the land you should be able to do whatever tickles your fancy...

Grab ahold of something, bite your lip, and GIVE IT HELL!!!!!
Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: cody] #1638135 08/31/10 09:42 PM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I think most people are against it because they are jealous, and don't have the money. I have 835 acres in Fisher Co. that I would high fence in a second if I had the funds. I also have 5,500 acres in Colorado that I would high fence if I could.

Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: BORN2HUNT] #1638181 08/31/10 09:54 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Folks put fences up to raise, breed and harvest cattle, horses or other livestock that they have bought. If folks put high fences up to do the same with deer (in a way sorta trapping those once free roaming deer in the high fence area), shouldn't the land owner somehow pay some sort of amount of money to the state for those deer seeing how a they kind of become the property of the high fence owner? I swear I'm not trying to be a turd and start a big stink. I'm just trying to understand the logic of how that works. confused2

Last edited by Curly; 08/31/10 09:54 PM.
Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: furfinrfeather] #1638214 08/31/10 10:05 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: furfinrfeather
How high would a fence have to be before it's a "High Fence"? Maybe I want rabbits to be able to hop over so I would think a 2' fence is too high.

This is pulled directly from the Boone & Crockett website (not really)

Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: Curly] #1638220 08/31/10 10:09 PM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Curly
Folks put fences up to raise, breed and harvest cattle, horses or other livestock that they have bought. If folks put high fences up to do the same with deer (in a way sorta trapping those once free roaming deer in the high fence area), shouldn't the land owner somehow pay some sort of amount of money to the state for those deer seeing how a they kind of become the property of the high fence owner? I swear I'm not trying to be a turd and start a big stink. I'm just trying to understand the logic of how that works. confused2

Well... would they then be able to shoot the deer any time they wanted? Sell the meat? Draw straws of semen etc with much less state regulation?

TPW gets to tell you when you can shoot a deer because it is "Their" wildife on private property... if you have to buy it... it isn't "Texas' Wildlife"...

I like TPW and think they should continue to regulate wildlife both inside and outside of HF, therefore the purchase of wildlife inside of it shouldn't be a requirement or option.

Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: AmoCuernos] #1638270 08/31/10 10:34 PM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P

I have hunted high fence, low fence, and no fence. I have hunted 300 acre high fences where the animals were just as skittish, and wild as animals I have hunted on low fence, and no fence.

Last edited by jensent; 08/31/10 10:34 PM.
Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: ParkCountyElkDestroyer] #1638448 09/01/10 12:05 AM
B
BORN2HUNT Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Wow more no than yes. Its seems that a lot of the people saying no from the post I read are saying so because the land owner has the right to do what he wants. I just wanted to see how many hunters look at it like...that wild animal that could wander around, travel the paths he might have traveled for 5,6, 7 years cant be free anymore because of a fence. He is trapped now. Its wildlife and should be free. And im sure some guys see it if they own or hunt small acerage it hurts them when fences go up around them. Cause they love hunting as much as a rich man but cant afford the high dollar places. I dont think any of us need to argue with each other over this but look at it from every angle possible before saying rude stuff about people being jealous of people with money. I can honestly care less about money and more about the freedom of wildlife. If I won the lottery tomorrow NO i would not put up a high fence. Maybe buy lots of land and feed to keep them there but no HF for me. Thx guys for not letting this poll get out of control and I appreciate the posts. Have an awesome hunt tomorrow and safe weekend.
Jeff

Last edited by BORN2HUNT; 09/01/10 12:07 AM.
Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: Curly] #1638472 09/01/10 12:17 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Curly

So I guess if a cattleman puts up a high fence to keep deer off of his place then the state should have to come and get the deer off if he does not want on his place by the same token? Wasn't all livestock domesticated from wild animals? I see and understand where you are coming from but think that the state should still regulate what happens with wildlife on a HF or LF ranch. I think there has to be rules and regulations for them in my opinion.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: stxranchman] #1638871 09/01/10 02:32 AM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Heck, lets get rid of all those 4' fences cuz the buffalo can't roam from Canada down to Texas like they used to. There was a lot of resistance to barbed wire/range fencing back in the cattle days. Times change. Don't expect ranches not to protect themselves and their investment by whatever means necessary.

If I want to put up a 10' game fence cuz the 20 acre neighbor next to me has 8 hunters (plus guests) on it and they all think they need to tag out, I guess I'll build me a fence. They can grumble and moan all they want, as long as they do it on their side of the fence. If they had not tried to shoot the place out to begin with, there would be no need for a fence.

Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: BORN2HUNT] #1639374 09/01/10 11:16 AM
G
ghollow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
If you want to high fence, that is your business. I do not think that deer killed behind a high fence should be allowed to enter any contest or record book.

Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: ghollow] #1639411 09/01/10 12:02 PM
I
Insight Hunting Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
I've worked harder to harvest high-fenced deer than I have for no fenced deer. High fence is not like hunting in a zoo. During my hunt last weekend, we took a couple of the deer from a smaller (several hundred acre) high fence place. We about killed ourselves for two doe because they would fade into the brush and disappear. That's just for doe. Forget the special big buck we may have been looking for. We hunted another 2000 acre high fence place using blinds and feeders and came up empty because the Axis didn't bother to come. How is that different from low fence?

One complaint about high fence is that it changes the natural pattern of the deer. Doesn't that logic also apply to feeders? If high fences remove the challenge from the sport, I think a gazillion pounds of deer candy (apple scented corn) does the same.

One hallmark of the high fence dead horse discussion is that everyone is convinced they are absolutely right. To each his own, in my opinion.

Michael Mitchell - Insight Hunting
830-459-5769
http://www.insighthunting.com
Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: ghollow] #1639575 09/01/10 01:44 PM
J
JJH Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: ghollow
If you want to high fence, that is your business. I do not think that deer killed behind a high fence should be allowed to enter any contest or record book.

Not even a contest for high fence deer??? grin

Re: WHERE DO YOU STAND [Re: JJH] #1639630 09/01/10 02:04 PM
F
fnp9 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
No they should not be banned. This is a liberty, freedom and private property issue. You should have the right to choose your on fence.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide