Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: SALTSTORM] #1602335 08/17/10 12:52 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: SALTSTORM

1. I believe that a cull buck (one that represents a buck that we do not want to breed) should be defined as:
a) a mature (no more growth potential) 120 B&C or less class buck

2. I believe that we should encourage members to kill cull bucks prior to Uvalde area rut by:
c) Do nothing as all members should be mature enough to kill a pre rut cull if they can.

3. I believe that we should be able to harvest ________ Doe per year.
??????????? you should have a better idea than I do

4. I believe that a trophy buck should be determined by:
b) a mature 5+ year old deer with a 120 B&C score or greater.

5. Any member who harvests one mistake buck (immature trophy potential buck) should receive a penalty of:
a) a penalty fee of $200.

6. Any member who harvests two mistake bucks (immature trophy potential buck) should receive a penalty of:
c) Loss of deposit and lease termination

7. The penalty for any member who harvests any (mistake, cull or trophy) deer and does not log it in camp range book and/or bring it into camp:
a) Immediate lease termination

8. All collected penalty fees should be:
d) Put into camp improvement fund
e) Put into fund to purchase and fill protein feeders to be placed in unclaimed areas across lease for next year.
f) road maintenance

9. All harvested bucks must be documented in camp log and:
a) a photo must be labeled and posted in camp house. (Camera provided by individual members and must accompany them on every lease trip.)
b) be B&C scored and listed in log book if they represent a trophy kill (all members must learn how to score their deer with a B&C scoring kit provided / kept at camp).

c) with disposable camera located in camphouse, take a head on and side shot of buck
d) All of the above.

10. The ultimate winner of any lease trophy award will be determined by:
b) Straight B&C score completed by a single and neutral party (whitetail bucks).

11. I believe that all large areas of lease that are not claimed by any member and do not infringe on other members areas should be:

b) be available to all lease members as a secondary hunting area to construct blinds and establish feed pens on a first come / first serve basis only with the member who establishes the area having first right of refusal to hunt the area.

12. I believe that entire lease (including other members established hunting areas) should be opened up to all member access during spring Turkey season.
e) No

13. I believe that it should be all right for members to hunt doves (as long as it does not infringe on another members established hunting area) starting Sept 1st however, all shooting outside that which we take part in to harvest deer, hogs, turkey or exotics in our own established hunting areas should come to a halt beginning:
d) No Sept dove hunting should be allowed on lease.

14. I believe that it should be all right to corn all roads and hunt hogs beginning the day after Whitetail season closes all the way up until the September date we decide on for the previous question.

c) No lease road hunting should be allowed (safety aspect)

15. I believe that providing supplemental protein feeding from April 15th to Aug 15th should be:
a) mandatory for all members to take part in within their individual hunting areas.
d) An entire lease member effort where several protein feeders are strategically placed throughout lease where all members could benefit from them.

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: 7mag] #1602752 08/17/10 04:05 PM
A
Aggieduck Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
If this is where hunting is going I want out Now!

way to much information there, tell them to shoot Trophies culls and get close to a 1:1 buck doe ratio and most importantly

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: SALTSTORM] #1602892 08/17/10 04:51 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

1. I believe that a cull buck (one that represents a buck that we do not want to breed) should be defined as:
b) a mature buck with no brow tines no matter what B&C class
c) a severely crippled or disfigured buck
d) any spike buck (at least one un-forked antler)
e) All of the above
(f) If the word cull or the lettes B and/or C are mentioned followed by a number is mentioned,....expelled from the lease

2. I believe that we should encourage members to kill cull bucks prior to Uvalde area rut by:
a) charging them a $30 fee if they fail to do so.
b) $100 discount on next years lease fees for member who kills ugliest cull buck.
c) Do nothing as all members should be mature enough to kill a pre rut cull if they can.
(f) If the word cull is mentioned, expelled from the lease

a) 0
b) 1
c) 2
Refer to TPWD outdoor annual

a) an inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater.
c) every harvested buck should be judged on its own merits based on group consensus
d) Having at least eight points.
(f)The person pulling the trigger

5. Any member who harvests one mistake buck (immature trophy potential buck) should receive a penalty of:
b) a penalty fee of $100.
c) a penalty fee of $50.
d) No penalty for first violation.
Refer to TPWD Outdoor Annual...no mention/definition of "Mistake buck"

6. Any member who harvests two mistake bucks (immature trophy potential buck) should receive a penalty of:
a) A $200 fine
b) Complete lease termination
Refer to TPWD Outdoor Annual...no mention of "Mistake buck"

7. The penalty for any member who harvests any (mistake, cull or trophy) deer and does not log it in camp range book and/or bring it into camp:
b) Will receive no immediate penalty however, wont be allowed to renew their lease on the following year.
c) a penalty fee of $200
d) Lease termination with loss of lease deposit
Refer to TPWD Outdoor Annual...no mention of "Mistake buck"

a) divided up and distributed equally to all members except the offending member.
b) paid out in full to person who harvests the biggest / highest B&C scoring trophy buck.
c) paid out 60% / 30% & 10% for top three harvested trophy bucks.
e) Put into fund to purchase and fill protein feeders to be placed in unclaimed areas across lease for next year.
All fees are paid in full when correct hunting license is purchased

a) a photo must be labeled and posted in camp house. (Camera provided by individual members and must accompany them on every lease trip.)
b) be B&C scored and listed in log book if they represent a trophy kill (all members must learn how to score their deer with a B&C scoring kit provided / kept at camp).
c) All of the above.
Refer to TPWD Outdoor Annual...Harvest log are available for download

a) Group consensus vote based on animal photos and stats.
b) Straight B&C score completed by a single and neutral party (whitetail bucks).
Biggest penis

11. I believe that all large areas of lease that are not claimed by any member and do not infringe on other members areas should be:
a) Left alone as sanctuary for the game animals.
b) be available to all lease members as a secondary hunting area to construct blinds and establish feed pens on a first come / first serve basis only with the member who establishes the area having first right of refusal to hunt the area.
c) be available to all lease members as a secondary hunting area to hunt from a tripod type stand with hand distributed feed only on a first come / first serve basis only.

Well I "claim" the biggest deer on the lease!!

12. I believe that entire lease (including other members established hunting areas) should be opened up to all member access during spring Turkey season.
a) Yes
b) Yes, as long as you keep at least 100 yards away from other members feeder pens.
c) Yes, as long as you keep at least 200 yards away from other members feeder pens.
d) Yes, as long as you keep at least 300 yards away from other members feeder pens.
e) No

Refer to TPWD Outdoor Annual...Illegal to hunt whitetail deer during spring turkey season

13. I believe that it should be all right for members to hunt doves (as long as it does not infringe on another members established hunting area) starting Sept 1st however, all shooting outside that which we take part in to harvest deer, hogs, turkey or exotics in our own established hunting areas should come to a halt beginning:
a) Sept 12th.
b) Sept 19th.
c) Sept 26th
Refer to TPWD Outdoor Annual seasons clearly listed, along with bag limits. (Migratory birds are based on USFWS recommendations)

14. I believe that it should be all right to corn all roads and hunt hogs beginning the day after Whitetail season closes all the way up until the September date we decide on for the previous question.
a) Yes
b) No
c) No lease road hunting should be allowed
Refer to TPWD Outdoor Annual...under non-game animals, legal methods

15. I believe that providing supplemental protein feeding from April 15th to Aug 15th should be:
a) mandatory for all members to take part in within their individual hunting areas.
b) completed on a voluntary basis only.
c) mandatory for only the members who harvest a mistake buck.
d) An entire lease member effort where several protein feeders are strategically placed throughout lease where all members could benefit from them.
What will the poor deer eat from Aug 16th-Apr. 14?

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: PHishTX] #1602921 08/17/10 04:58 PM
B
Big Lug Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I think I failed this one, when is the make-up exam?

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: Big Lug] #1603009 08/17/10 05:21 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Big Lug
I think I failed this one, when is the make-up exam?

Don't feel bad........I failed after reading the first 7 Chapters

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: SALTSTORM] #1603038 08/17/10 05:30 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I currently manage a west Tx Deer lease with 20 plus members and want to create a survey for them to decide on some rules that will be established for the coming year to better manage our deer population and give them a voice and some measure of control.(Keep in mind that it must all be within the frameworks of our lease agreement w/ landowner and only include issues that will not compromise member safety)

Please give me your constructive feedback on it as well as additional topics that you would deem important

b) a mature buck with no brow tines no matter what B&C class
c) a severely crippled or disfigured buck
d) any spike buck (at least one un-forked antler)
e) All of the above

a) charging them a $30 fee if they fail to do so.
b) $100 discount on next years lease fees for member who kills ugliest cull buck.

a) 0
b) 1
c) 2

a) an inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater.
c) every harvested buck should be judged on its own merits based on group consensus
d) Having at least eight points.

b) a penalty fee of $100.
c) a penalty fee of $50.
d) No penalty for first violation.

a) A $200 fine
b) Complete lease termination

b) Will receive no immediate penalty however, wont be allowed to renew their lease on the following year.
c) a penalty fee of $200
d) Lease termination with loss of lease deposit

a) divided up and distributed equally to all members except the offending member.
b) paid out in full to person who harvests the biggest / highest B&C scoring trophy buck.
c) paid out 60% / 30% & 10% for top three harvested trophy bucks.

c) All of the above.

a) Group consensus vote based on animal photos and stats.

a) Left alone as sanctuary for the game animals.
c) be available to all lease members as a secondary hunting area to hunt from a tripod type stand with hand distributed feed only on a first come / first serve basis only.

a) Yes
b) Yes, as long as you keep at least 100 yards away from other members feeder pens.
c) Yes, as long as you keep at least 200 yards away from other members feeder pens.
d) Yes, as long as you keep at least 300 yards away from other members feeder pens.
e) No

a) Sept 12th.
b) Sept 19th.
c) Sept 26th

a) Yes
b) No
c) No lease road hunting should be allowed

b) completed on a voluntary basis only.
c) mandatory for only the members who harvest a mistake buck.

Surely you jest??? Who in the world would want to become a member of this lease? It would take the average guy a half hour to cipher this before ever going to the stand.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: Cool_Hand] #1603041 08/17/10 05:31 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Cool Hand
"Surely you jest??? Who in the world would want to become a member of this lease? It would take the average guy a half hour to cipher this before ever going to the stand."

rofl

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: 7mag] #1603664 08/17/10 08:51 PM
H
Hawgg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Hollywood hunters, don't know the difference from a scrape or a rub. Never hunted a trail only knows the box and feed pen. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: Hawgg] #1611324 08/20/10 09:50 PM
S
SALTSTORM Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
I appreciate the opinions, however, It sounds like they only represent member (not management)level opinions.

Quite frankly such beliefs are ok for someone who either is or aspires to become a deer lease member.

Heck man as a new and unseasoned member that in a nutshell is exactly what I wanted: a do as you please lease run on the assumption that every person is responsible and committed to improving the deer herd......What a suprise I had when that was not exactly or even close to the truth in fact, this particular style of management was the perfect recipe for deel lease disaster.

How about we hear from some other lease management people now (past or present)who have battled with and hopefully conquered such problems.

Start Your Six-Figure Storm Claims Career Today!
www.RealityRopeAccess.com
(936) 537-6759
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: SALTSTORM] #1611362 08/20/10 10:15 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
1... B&C
2... C
3... I don't know your buck to doe ratio
4... C or D
5... D
6... A or B his choice
7... D
8... D
9... no opinion
10.. no opinion
11.. C I guess...
12.. A
13.. B I guess
14.. A
15.. D

Sounds like too many rules to me but I guess to manage for throphy deer you have to have some rules.

I think between AR's and individual hunters desires it could be done without as many rules.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: SALTSTORM] #1611383 08/20/10 10:28 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Now there is yet another fine example of how 7mag has obtained his oh so well deserved "THF Celebrity" status.

It's not from great pictures, tales of adventure or even organized thoughts that has allowed him to accumulate 13,260 posts.

No Sir, its from little jewels / hit and run bits of insight such as this.
Well done 7mag, both you and sig226fan have once again made my day by doing your very best 15 to 20 character effort to redirect the focus of my post.

Oh man you need to BACK OFF the "elders" they're sacred...

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1612253 08/21/10 02:02 PM
S
SALTSTORM Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Sorry Rick but if the "elders" are sacred then it is only because of sheep like you that have made them so.

Cmon Rick, be a man, you know...A hunter. Don't assume a spot at the end of the line just because 7mag tells you that is where you belong.

Try judging a man's character based on the content of his word. THF is a wonderfull place for doing just that, just click on the persons name and read a collection of their posts and their true contributions to the site and world (in general)will be revealed. Go ahead, I dare you.

(936) 537-6759
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: SALTSTORM] #1613705 08/22/10 09:01 AM
C
chaos Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I appreciate the opinions, however, It sounds like they only represent member (not management)level opinions.

Quite frankly such beliefs are ok for someone who either is or aspires to become a deer lease member.

Heck man as a new and unseasoned member that in a nutshell is exactly what I wanted: a do as you please lease run on the assumption that every person is responsible and committed to improving the deer herd......What a suprise I had when that was not exactly or even close to the truth in fact, this particular style of management was the perfect recipe for deel lease disaster.

How about we hear from some other lease management people now (past or present)who have battled with and hopefully conquered such problems.

YOU'RE TRYING TO PLAY GOD. Just have the members follow the laws laid out by TPWD.

This is coming from a land owner, not someone "Aspiring to become lease member " rofl

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ge_S#Post979030

I wish you luck getting "Management level" Opinions. Some of us just might not be full of B.S. like you insinuate. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck in your endeavours

Last edited by chaos; 08/22/10 09:29 AM.
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: chaos] #1614149 08/22/10 05:29 PM
S
SALTSTORM Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Sorry chaos (great name by the way as it fits in perfectly w/ what I am trying to avoid) but landowners do not necessarily have the same responsibillities as large lease managers.

Thanks for your input, as your opinion counts, it just does very little for helping out w/my situation.

I think what most people here are having difficulty understanding is that we have already tried "Just having our members follow the rules laid out by TPWD" and it failed miserably.

(936) 537-6759
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: 7mag] #1614152 08/22/10 05:36 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So how do you decide who gets on this lease???? confused2

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: SALTSTORM] #1614155 08/22/10 05:37 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Put everything to a vote. Majority rules. If they don't like how the majority votes, then they can find somewhere else. The dictator style lease manager is not a good one.

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: Justin T] #1614163 08/22/10 05:40 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Justin T
Put everything to a vote. Majority rules. If they don't like how the majority votes, then they can find somewhere else. The dictator style lease manager is not a good one.

So is this a "dictator style lease lease manager"??? or just someone that needs a group to follow the rules??? I mean he is the lease manager, and if people don't like him or his rules they can just walk right??? Nothing binding, unless they pay him and don't see the rules as he is given em out.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: SALTSTORM] #1614775 08/22/10 11:08 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I think what most people here are having difficulty understanding is that we have already tried "Just having our members follow the rules laid out by TPWD" and it failed miserably.

Why did it fail? Do you think you'll do better with different rules under the threat of fines or expulsion? Get real....you're just going to create more angst and problems. Though not currently, I've been a lease manager (ramrod) for about as many years as you and think you're going about it all wrong.

With 23 hunters, you will get all types......hard core horn hunters, wide variations on what constitutes a "trophy," meat hunters, hard workers, slackers, guys who just want a place to take their kids, guys who just want a place to veg out, guys who just want a place to drink, guys who just want a place to get away from their job/wife/whatever.

The best thing you can do is keep the rules to a minimum and emphasize the most important. Fining and such is just asking for trouble and beyond ridiculous IMO. Expect mistakes and understand everyone is human and everyone looks at the world through a different set of eyes. If there are perpetual troublemakers (fights, drunks, poachers), deal with them accordingly. The rest is cake.

You're taking this way too seriously IMO and therefore removing what our sport is really about.

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1614847 08/22/10 11:34 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Why did it fail? Do you think you'll do better with different rules under the threat of fines or expulsion? Get real....you're just going to create more angst and problems. Though not currently, I've been a lease manager (ramrod) for about as many years as you and think you're going about it all wrong.

With 23 hunters, you will get all types......hard core horn hunters, meat hunters, hard workers, slackers, guys who just want a place to take their kids, guys who just want a place to veg out, guys who just want a place to drink, guys who just want a place to get away from their job/wife/whatever.

It works, those kind of rules put in place are the way to go to consistantly have nice deer. Sure everyone makes mistakes, but a herd can't take half the members making mistakes or their kids or wives making mistakes. Most of your large leases in high end East Tx have similar rules, some have stiffer penalties for a "oops bucks", when dealing with that many ppl the only way to get them on the same page is to force them to get on the same page.

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: rifleman] #1614874 08/22/10 11:47 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: rifleman
but a herd can't take half the members making mistakes or their kids or wives making mistakes.

Who said anything about mistakes by half the members and kids and wives?

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: rifleman] #1614890 08/22/10 11:55 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I guess if people want in on it so be it, it is their money, not mine/ours. Myself personally I wouldnt care for it. I would feel like I was walking on egg shells, and watching every move I make, so I didnt screw up. I would have to have the rules posted on a notebook or my cell phone to review them everytime I went out to the blind. If my girl asked if she could shoot that, I would say hold on..........mmmmmmmmmm nope, not legal. I would have to have my deer aged, width checked ect, then face the possible penalty or fines. BTW who pockets that money??? You or who??? I would like to see this written up as the "lease rules/agreement and 23 signatures to go with it. I can't see where somewhere somehow, someone would mess up, its just going to happen. I think if you push em hard enough they will eventually get pissed and say "you know what this is BS" and shoot whatever they want, more so out of anger and spite. If you treat people like people, more so hunters, you will get alot more respect. If you try and belittle them and more so take their hard earned money, the dog will bite the owner, its a proven fact. I think it is stupid and pretty ballsey of you to come on here and take a survey as such,and not get any backlash. Do you really think all these people think your rules are right???? You may find a few, but its going to be a very few. Yeah I know I know, leave it to ole 7mag to destroy your thread and what an arsehole I am ect. Look really hard at this thread and what the members have posted and get a relization that you are your worst nightmare. Peace

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1614902 08/22/10 11:59 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe
but a herd can't take half the members making mistakes or their kids or wives making mistakes.

Who said anything about mistakes by half the members and kids and wives?

that's what you'll get if rules regarding what can and can't get shot aren't established. If leases/clubs with 90+ members can get on the same using the "this is how it's going to be" method, I would see no reason why a place with 20+members cant.

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: rifleman] #1614928 08/23/10 12:11 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
that's what you'll get if rules regarding what can and can't get shot aren't established.

Again, who said anything about not having rules regarding the targeted game established? TP&W we were under for many years is pretty explicit. Might want to reread my post.

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1615773 08/23/10 12:04 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
no one has said to not have rules regarding deer. I've read and reread and the only thing I would would withdraw is referring to wives and kids since I see no where that they are allowed to hunt on the place. However, TPW is in the business of regulating amount harvested, not so much quantity and if you are on MLD they prefer a provision in form of a penalty for noncompliance with management guidelines (AKA, shooting a buck they feel in immature....which would be 3.5 to tpw in most cases). From an mgmt standpoint, it makes more sense to seriously regulate what can occur on a property and really limit what can get shot. Rules are very simple for most folks to follow, my last lease had a 25 page list of rules, regs, bylaws, etc. to be familiar with & at no point did it feel like anyone was walking on eggshells.

Re: Deer Lease Member Survey [Re: rifleman] #1615800 08/23/10 12:36 PM
L
llanite Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
On the flip side of the coin, I've been the 'ramrod' on the same lease for 18 years. The lease agreement was a handshake. The rules can be counted on one hand, the most important being to follow all game laws.

The TPWD has made many changes to our deer harvest numbers over the years. All of them have been for the better. The first couple years we were lucky to see a buck. The biggest one taken was a big bodied 6x6x6... six point rack, six inches tall, and six inches wide. Now we regularly see 150 class bucks and sometimes bigger.

The best thing we've done beyond what tags the TPWD allows us, is to bring in guest hunters, with the landowner's permission, to take out extra does in certain years. After the first year it was obvious we were buck poor and overpopulated with does, so we really thinned them out the second year. Now, we're in another population boom, likely due to AR (more bucks, so more does getting bred more thoroughly), so we're going to have to get after the does again.

I honestly believe if you manage the does to the fullest extent possible and really encourage your hunters to fill their doe tags, the buck population will take care of itself and you will see the results you're looking for without draconian rules on the bucks and/or the hunters.

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary. We happen to have plenty deer to work with. Shooting does may not be the best idea if you don't have the numbers to start with.

"We could say they spend like drunken sailors, but that would be unfair to drunken sailors, because the sailors are spending their own money." Ronald Reagan
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide