Print Thread
Little Rusty and the Live Flyers ... #1582910 08/08/10 08:52 PM
C
Cappy_TX Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
One of grandson Jay's favorite activities is Asst Dog Trainer while with us each summer. It's particularly true with Rusty because he was sooo much smaller only six weeks ago when Jay first arrived.

This morning ...

So after breakfast and taking of the above pic for comparative purposes, Jay and I headed out with Rusty to train with a few "live flyers" over at the wetlands, which as you can see, is not so wet as of right now. Rusty is brought to my left heel and placed in a sit position, eyes forward.

Jay, at some distance away and behind a hay bale, launches a live pigeon into the air upon my command. I let it get out about 30 yards and then shot over water. Rusty is then released by name to make the retrieve and return to me.

And in case anyone is interested, the pigeons are plucked, cleaned, placed in a 2" deep rectangular pan with one can each of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup, and then baked for approx 45 minutes at 300 degrees until golden brown. Very tasty. However and truthfully, the dawgs like it more than I do. confused2

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Re: Little Rusty and the Live Flyers ... [Re: Cappy_TX] #1583088 08/08/10 09:39 PM
B
Blast Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Hey my friend, Gracie asked about Cappy the other day. She wondered how Texas was treating you guys. She hadnt heard from your troop since her Daddy, (Blast AKA Harry Harper) hasn't posted on retrievertraining.net in some time and have not talked to Chris Atkinson in a month of Sundays' I hope life finds you and yours in a great place.

Gracie/Blast/Harry/
Eli and Lulubell (the Beagle you havent met said hi as well)

For Man, there is no greater burden than potential
Re: Little Rusty and the Live Flyers ... [Re: Blast] #1583140 08/08/10 10:00 PM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
_
NICE!!!

Wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as fast as I could.
Re: Little Rusty and the Live Flyers ... [Re: _Scooter_] #1584243 08/09/10 02:42 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Sounds like a chicken recipe my gf cooks.

[Linked Image]

Re: Little Rusty and the Live Flyers ... [Re: Blast] #1584937 08/09/10 01:25 PM
C
Cappy_TX Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Blast
Hey my friend, Gracie asked about Cappy the other day. She wondered how Texas was treating you guys. She hadnt heard from your troop since her Daddy, (Blast AKA Harry Harper) hasn't posted on retrievertraining.net in some time and have not talked to Chris Atkinson in a month of Sundays' I hope life finds you and yours in a great place.

Gracie/Blast/Harry/
Eli and Lulubell (the Beagle you havent met said hi as well)

Blastosnophagus! What a pleasant surprise to hear from you. Gracie is still Cappy's fantasy as she has been for the past many years. My boy turned 11 last January and had a good season. Unfortunately, in February a malignant tumor was found on his right shoulder area and he went through surgery. He came through it well but developed complications and had to have drain tubes installed.

As far as we know, he is cancer free as of now and still "trains" every morning with the other 2 dawgs, even if it's only a couple 30 yard fun bumpers. Hopefully he'll pick up some early Teal and a few mallards this upcoming season before he retires for good. He still has the burning desire but Father Time has robbed him of the speed and stamina he was once known for. Look if the first pic below and you can see the surgical scar area has filled back in well.

Carol and I are fine, just older with more aches and pains but such is the price we pay for longer life. We still hunt most every day during the season ... which isn't too bad for a couple who are a combined 132 years old! eek2

Hugs and scritches to Gracie, hand shakes to Blast.

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide