Forums46
Topics538,320
Posts9,735,776
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: BarneyWho] #1532918 07/15/10 04:01 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
Originally Posted By: Judd
You give all this advice and pros/cons without even riding or having been in a mud motor boat?

Hang on! Moose is giving us a comparison on an outboard vs. a mud motor and hasn't even driven a mud motor much less been in one???? Hummmmmm.......my suspicions are confirmed. trout

The guy asked what kind of duck boat he should get. If he likes to fish or plans to use the boat for anything other than running thru skinny water, he should consider an outboard. That is all.

If you're implying that you need a mudboat to kill ducks, I've got news for ya. up

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1532923 07/15/10 04:03 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Ok the outboards and the mudmotors have proven/argued their points. Lets end the pissing match and help the guy pick the best boat for his needs and resources.

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #1532932 07/15/10 04:09 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I've looked into mud motors, I'd love to have one.

It's just not feasible to switch back and forth on my rig.

I've got another idea that I'm looking into for mine, south Texas bay setup.

http://www.arrowprop.com/enginesk.htm

http://www.arrowprop.com/low.htm

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1532937 07/15/10 04:11 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Moose K
I know what they do. We used to own an airboat, I know what they do.

You sure do know a lot about duck hunting in general for someone who has yet to enter his first season.

Airboats, jetboats, mudboats are all designed to run in shallow water and mud. They can do so because they don't have a lower unit sticking in the water. That lower unit is also the key to staying in control of the boat once you're out in deeper water.

I assume mudboats have a little more control because they actually have a skeg by the prop. Air, jet, mudboats are all special purpose boats for duck hunting. ie. not as versatile

The reason a WE, Tritoon (sorry, old bass fishing reference haha), Sea Ark, etc are better in rough water has absolutely nothing to do with an outboard and everything to do with hull design of the boat. Anything you can do in deep water I can do with a mud motor, except pull a skier, but a little slower due to HP differences. I have a lower unit, a prop, etc everything you have so motors are nothing but mine can run on a surface because it doesn't require water to keep it cool and it can run over stuff because it kicks up without destroying a lower unit.

Now again, I say better but that is really a loose term there isn't an tin boat made that is a good in rough water(excluding Lund and that deep v style hull). You're cutting hairs if the reason to buy a non mud motored boat is rough water ride...that is my opinion.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #1532946 07/15/10 04:17 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: wlgorman
Ok the outboards and the mudmotors have proven/argued their points. Lets end the pissing match and help the guy pick the best boat for his needs and resources.

There is no pissing match, Moose is a buddy, but there has been some misconceptions given that might affect his decision.

Guys, keep in mind Pikefall04 is my #1 hunting partner. I have a good outboard boat w/ jackplate that we use now. We'd be unstoppable with an outboard and a shallow runner.

That right there pretty much summed it up. Especially the last post about conditions. He needs a mud boat...if it is nasty and all open deeper water y'all take your boat if it is shallow muddy stuff you take his.

See that was an easy decision roflmao

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Judd] #1532950 07/15/10 04:18 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
What is the maximum depth that you can get that prop below the water?

A boat with a flat bottom and no motor in the water seems dangerous in the dark when you have high winds.

I know boats, Judd. I know what hull designs do what. Our old airboat had a completely flat bottom with a polymer coating.

Did you buy the boat that you sent me a picture of?

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1532951 07/15/10 04:18 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I've looked into mud motors, I'd love to have one.

It's just not feasible to switch back and forth on my rig.

I've got another idea that I'm looking into for mine, south Texas bay setup.

http://www.arrowprop.com/enginesk.htm

http://www.arrowprop.com/low.htm

IDK about that for duck hunting, man. But thats just me. I'm interested to see how it works out for you, though.

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Judd] #1532959 07/15/10 04:20 PM
B
BirdHunter501 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Also something else to consider.............
the big three MM makers are in South Louisiana. So unless you can turn a wrench or have a good small engine repair shop, getting your motor serviced can be an ordeal. If something tanks in the lower unit, odds are you are either going to haul the rig back to the motor manufacturer or have them send you the part and hope you have some mechanical ability or friends that do.

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #1532964 07/15/10 04:23 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
wlgorman,

I missed the part where you said that he was your hunting partner and you already have an outboard.

The motor and fan go on a detachable aluminum mount. It's basically a flounder steup, they're pretty popular on the coast.

The only thing I worry about is counterbalancing the weight of it.

You cruise along with the outboard until you can't go any further, raise it out of the water and start the fan.

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1532969 07/15/10 04:25 PM
T
TopH20 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I like the long tails. They are not fast but they do have some torque.

I agree that the outboard is more versatile.

You make your own luck.
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Judd] #1532970 07/15/10 04:25 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have had outboards and mud motor...I like the mud motor better, in the summer I put the trolling motor on and I fish out of it, in the winter its the duck hunting rig. Its a little rough to drive and beats you up when compared to the outboard. My outboard is like driving a Cadillac (smooth and easy to drive) when compared to the mud motor.

the mud motor is a 35hp and the outboard is a 25hp...the speed and performance is about the same in deep water.

I like mud motor hands down, I think its way more versatile...it runs way more shallow, and has the normal handling of an outboard in open water.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1532972 07/15/10 04:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
wlgorman,

I missed the part where you said that he was your hunting partner and you already have an outboard.

The motor and fan go on a detachable aluminum mount. It's basically a flounder steup, they're pretty popular on the coast.

You cruise along with the outboard until you can't go any further, raise it out of the water and start the fan.

Judd/Moose

Real men hunt from seadoos... Run faster and shallower then you dorks bolt

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: garrett] #1532974 07/15/10 04:27 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I found this pic on TFF. Same setup minus the front deck deal.

I would mount the motor lower and make sure that I could take it off fairly easily.

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1532977 07/15/10 04:29 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
wlgorman,

oh yeah I know what they are, stuck many a flounder off of them behind SLP and in Matagorda. I grew up on the coast. Those things wont push you very fast.

Originally Posted By: BirdHunter501
Also something else to consider.............
the big three MM makers are in South Louisiana. So unless you can turn a wrench or have a good small engine repair shop, getting your motor serviced can be an ordeal. If something tanks in the lower unit, odds are you are either going to haul the rig back to the motor manufacturer or have them send you the part and hope you have some mechanical ability or friends that do.

MMs have lower units???

Last edited by wlgorman; 07/15/10 04:29 PM.
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #1532985 07/15/10 04:31 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
kinda....its a pipe with bearings and grease, it comes off with the removal of about 8 bolts...nothing like an outboard

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #1532987 07/15/10 04:32 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

oh yeah I know what they are, stuck many a flounder off of them behind SLP and in Matagorda. I grew up on the coast. Those things wont push you very fast.

Why do I need to go fast?

It's just theory right now, I need to find out what size prop/hp, etc. I would need.

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1532988 07/15/10 04:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I would mount the motor lower and make sure that I could take it off fairly easily.

wouldn't waste my time with that... If your that worries about being that shallow go back to the king of shallow and dry land.....AIR Boat.. Those are just to much fun on the coast but hella scary at night in open water....Pray your don't loose power scared

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 07/15/10 04:32 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1532997 07/15/10 04:34 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

wouldn't waste my time with that... If your that worries about being that shallow go back to the king of shallow and dry land.....AIR Boat.. Those are just to much fun on the coast but hella scary at night in open water....Pray your don't loose power scared

Why? Because of the extra weight in back? I guess you could get swamped easier...

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1533002 07/15/10 04:35 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
No Moose, I mean they go REAL slow for trying to get somewhere. They are made to go real slow over flats while you look for bedding flounder. But you knew that.

If you put one of those on the back of your boat, forget about running your outboard in 6" of water

Last edited by wlgorman; 07/15/10 04:36 PM.
Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: wlgorman] #1533018 07/15/10 04:42 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
No Moose, I mean they go REAL slow for trying to get somewhere. They are made to go real slow over flats while you look for bedding flounder. But you knew that.

If you put one of those on the back of your boat, forget about running your outboard in 6" of water

Yeah, you're probably right.

I have one spot that I can run thru, but once I take the boat off plane I can't get back on plane forever.

I'm going to check into those small fans, though. I don't need to go fast, and I am looking for an alternative to a completely different boat.

I agree with what the guys said about matching the motor to the boat hull. I've talked to a few guys who bought mud motors and threw them on their old duck boat only to be very dissapointed.

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: garrett] #1533023 07/15/10 04:44 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: gr_elliott
kinda....its a pipe with bearings and grease, it comes off with the removal of about 8 bolts...nothing like an outboard

Here is a picture of a ProDrive lower unit:

http://image02.webshots.com/2/5/48/44/157154844trJrUq_fs.jpg

As far as finding someone to work on it...it is a commercial lawn mower motor. You can take it to any lawn mower shop.

Last edited by Judd; 07/15/10 04:51 PM.

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: TopH20] #1533029 07/15/10 04:46 PM
P
pikefall04 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
Man there has been some serious posting to this thread since I started it late last night. I appreciate the help.

So in my situation having a buddy with a normal outboard and sea ark that we can take if conditions are dangerous or a shallow engine isnt needed affects my decision on what to get....I should have mentioned that in the original post.

I had liked what i read about jet drives online (and by that i mean the yamaha and mercury websites...so obviously they werent gonna make them sound bad. The biggest problem i hear about the jet drive is that is sucks stuff up and clogs up the motor, but is this a common problem?...seems like if it was then no one would buy them. I am not at all opposed to a mud just curious about the jet drives.

Thanks again for the help on this topic

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Judd] #1533032 07/15/10 04:48 PM
P
pikefall04 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted By: Judd
Originally Posted By: gr_elliott

Here is a picture of a ProDrive lower unit:

As far as finding someone to work on it...it is a commercial lawn mower motor. You can take it to any lawn mower shop.

judd what happen to the picture ?

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1533037 07/15/10 04:50 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
first

Moose is just wrong about mudd motors. Jealous something not sure.

second when discussing wind as duck hunters we are not in any boat designed to go through big waves. Not a jon boat, doesnt matter what is powering it. Period. If you have a strong north wind you plan for it. You launch and hunt where you can safely go in your boat. A mudd motor can actually be a friend in these situations because you can grab the bank, and go. You do not need to be focused on a boat lane etc.

That being said I have some friends with an alum rig set up for bass fishing that can straight run through skinny water. Can it get where a mudd boat can? No. But it has jack plate tilt trim, and was built to run skinny. IE batteries moved to the front. Weight distribution is a huge part of it.

Also Moose when you said "I know boats, Judd. I know what hull designs do what."
i think you were implying Judd doesnt. Believe it or not Judd knows boat designers, he has riden in a few, he could walk up to the owner of the last American made, and owned company sit down bs and walk around the plant. So Judd knows boats too.

Re: I need some advice on getting a duck boat [Re: Moose K] #1533043 07/15/10 04:51 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
If you're implying that you need a mudboat to kill ducks, I've got news for ya. up

Never said that. I guess it was implied in the same place about an outboard since the guy was asking about a mudmotor and jet drive. roflmao

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide