Print Thread
What kayak to use? #1527697 07/13/10 12:54 AM
T
TrackQuack Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I know a lot of people on here hunt out of their kayaks. I would like to know which kayaks you use that are stable and have decent storage. Also, those of you who use them do you hunt out of them or just get to the place and ditch the yak. What is the best way to get your dog in and out?

Thanks for any input

Re: What kayak to use? [Re: TrackQuack] #1527721 07/13/10 01:06 AM
H
Hunts_With_Stick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Well this makes my first post in the bird section! I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler I do not hunt out of it but I feel like I easily could, your dog could easily ride in the back and there is a ton of storage I've done 4 day fishing trips out of it on the Brazos.

Hope it helps a little? You can't go wrong with Ocean Kayaks there huge and stable as anything on the water.

Before you book travel go here>>>> www.sdc1.rovia.com <<<<
Re: What kayak to use? [Re: Hunts_With_Stick] #1527741 07/13/10 01:14 AM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
In general, the sit on top style of kayaks are more stable, but it really depends on the model. Also the SOT tend to be a bit more heavy.

It sounds like you're buying a kayak. I hunt out of mine because I already owned one. Since you're buying one, a couple of things come to mind:

Kayak plastic is very, very, very hard to paint, and the paint almost always comes off very quickly. Don't buy a bright orange kayak and expect to camo it for hunting. (Or budget for plenty of burlap/netting/cover for it).

Since you're gonna go spend money on one, you might think about a canoe. A sit inside kayak, you'll have to have the dog ride practically in your crotch making paddling harder. A sit on top, they are ok for carrying gear (I lash a decoy bag on the tank well) but on most of them, you'd have to have your dog sit in the tank well making you butt-heavy. Personally I wouldn't use a canoe unless I found one that was very, very stable, but, I had a canoe accident as a child that has literally scared me for life! That being said, some canoes are so stable two guys can stand up and fish no problem, and some, one bad sneeze and you're in 40 degree water!

The Native Watercraft kayaks are kind of a canoe/kayak hybrid that might suit your needs for dogs, decoys, and gear:

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_14.cfm

Re: What kayak to use? [Re: Dave Speer] #1527780 07/13/10 01:29 AM
T
TrackQuack Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I am looking in to getting a kayak because I have a small jon boat with a 9hp motor that gets a little heavy to move by myself(it fits in the bed of my truck, no trailer). I am limited to having to wait until a friend can go and figured I could manage a kayak myself? If thats wrong let me know. I also hunt a lot of rivers and I dont have to travel a long way to get to my hunting spots. So, would you get a trailer for the jon boat or get a kayak to hunt out of when friends cant go?

Re: What kayak to use? [Re: TrackQuack] #1527801 07/13/10 01:34 AM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I'd personally get a trailer for that jon boat man. You're going to be able to go a lot father, a lot safer, with that boat then you will be able to go in a kayak.

I would be very very careful when thinking about putting a dog in a yak, unless you got a BIG kayak.

This will be my first year to hunt out of a yak and I went the cheap route. Got the 10ft pelican castaway from academy. I've fished pretty extensively out of it since Feb...haven't turned it over yet...but, it'll be a whole 'nother ball game when it's 40 degrees outside.

Re: What kayak to use? [Re: Cochise] #1528014 07/13/10 02:46 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I hunt and fish from my 'yak. I can run all of the rivers within 100 miles and never get nervous. Put me on a lake 100yards from shore in 30' of water and the sweat rolls down my back. Add that it is dark and cold eek2 well other stuff starts moving. Any dog in a yak or canoe must be well train to lay down! If you go the yak rout get a tandem yak. That gives you twice the cockpit area for dog/gear. Remember it is all about center of balance. Strapping 2 doz. dekes on top of my yak CHANGES my center of balance. I go from no wobble to stay perfectly straight up and down. My plan this year is to find a very cheap new/used small yak. I will tow it with my big yak to solve all stabilization issues. Painting yaks can be hard,but my suggestion is to find Fusion spray paint by Krylon because it sticks best to plastic. I enjoy the silent paddle to my very small secluded spots away from barney. A real back saver it getting a yak/canoe dolly. Paid about $65 for mine, and it is the best $65 I ever spent. It is a different way to hunt,and it is very rewarding too! BTW I have an Old Towne Predator yak(S-i-S)
I wish mine was this big http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/huntingFishing/predator_k140.html

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: What kayak to use? [Re: deckhand] #1528433 07/13/10 01:09 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Native Ultimate should fit your bill to the T. If you've got the money.

Re: What kayak to use? [Re: wlgorman] #1528444 07/13/10 01:13 PM
T
Texan1554 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Re: What kayak to use? [Re: Cochise] #1528517 07/13/10 01:55 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: cboone22
Got the 10ft pelican castaway from academy. I've fished pretty extensively out of it since Feb...haven't turned it over yet...but, it'll be a whole 'nother ball game when it's 40 degrees outside.

Go turn it over, NOW, in water you can't touch the bottom but near a shore in case you have trouble, and try to get back in it. Also, do it a few times. Get a feel for what it takes to roll it. Right now while the water is warm is the time to learn your limitations, not February!!!!!

Re: What kayak to use? [Re: Dave Speer] #1528949 07/13/10 06:00 PM
Q
Qwaak Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
these looked cool at the expo im ganna draw one on cad cnc route it and weld me up one hopefully soon

http://www.banditmarine.com/products.html

"He thought about the rituals he'd abandoned and began to feel again the rhythm of the marsh, the ebbs and flow of something greater than himself."

www.killerchefs.com
facebook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide