Print Thread
Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams #152734 03/03/07 06:47 PM
K
Killzone Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
Hello from Canada, great site, so glad I found it.

I'm sure you guys get asked this all the time but here goes anyways......

I wanna kill some hogs (and a Ram) so bad it's keeping me up at night. No options up here but I've long wanted to do the Texas game ranch thing....sounds like a blast. Anywho, next January will be my 50th birthday and wifey is going to buy me a hunt in your great state. We don't have alot of $$$ so this will have to be as cost effective as possible. Not interested in a "canned hunt" but at the same time, since this is likely a once in a lifetime thing for me, a very, very, very high success rate would be nice (if there is such a place?). Although I'm a hardcore bowhunter a buddy coming along isn't so this will have to be a rifle hunting place. We'd like a self guided kinda set-up with lodging and meals supplied.

Can anybody please point me in the right direction here? Pleaaaaase! I understand completely maybe not wanting to post your personal "best kept secret" spot on the World Wide Web and promise to take it to the grave with me. Pm's or emails much appreciated.

Anybody ever heading up this way I can supply a wealth of info on any type of local hunting or fishing.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: Killzone] #152735 03/03/07 08:43 PM
S
skyshark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
A cheap pig hunt...... Whats that all aboot? Just kidding. I am going on a hunt March 14-16 and they say it is a high success rate.... Ill let you know when I get back eh. ( I am originaly from Minnesota so I think its cool if I make canada jokes )

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: skyshark] #152736 03/03/07 08:43 PM
S
skyshark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Ohhh, and welcome to the forum!

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: Killzone] #152737 03/03/07 08:56 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Welcome to the forum! You should find lots of info here.

When you say canned, does all high-fencing come to mind? If so, then I suppose low fence/barbed wire only then. Do you want sit in a stand and watch some corn or spot/stalk or drive/shoot? Plenty of all places to hunt so you'll get plenty of responses.

BTW, canadians must hunt with knives and dogs only. Leave the weapons at home!

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: Txduckman] #152738 03/03/07 09:43 PM
K
Killzone Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
LOL.

By canned I'm thinking small (~100 acre). I understand that high game fences are required to keep rams, exotics, etc. on the ranch but I'm really hoping to hunt a place big enough where the fence doesn't "make" the hunt.

I guess I'd like the option of stand hunting on a feeder in the A.M and P.M. and doing some spot and stalk in the mid-day period if that's a possibility.

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: Killzone] #152739 03/03/07 10:30 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
KZ Contact Willie at www.OutdoorsTexas.com in San Antonio. He has had access to bunches of ranches all over the state every time I've talked to him in the past and works as an outfitter ...only for the Hunter & Fisherman and not the ranch owner or hunting lease broker. Have Fun! eh? ...and Welcome Aboard.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: Killzone] #152740 03/04/07 01:46 AM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Welcolme aboard killzone, just so u kno the TPW says there are two kinds of people here in TEXAS, those who have hogs, and those who WILL have hogs, they r really concerned with what they r gonna do about them, so come on down enjoy some good ol boy Redneck hospitality and kill all them suckers u can shoot!

Originally Posted By: cody
...give it to a homeless guy...he won't mind the stiffness
Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: Redneck Messiah] #152741 03/04/07 11:16 AM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Welcome to THF, Killzone

I know a couple of guys from up your way that love to hunt....said they'd like to hunt our wild hogs here. I've left them an open invitation, 24/7/365, but they've yet to make the trip. You're welcome to come down and help us lessen their impact.

And Redneckmesiah ain't just whistling Dixie...they are everywhere here.

Also, while you wait for more replies, visit the rest of the site, eh? Hope you enjoy it.

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: Big Orn] #152742 03/04/07 07:57 PM
M
MNGrizzly Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
If you're looking for hogs and rams, you may want to take a look at this place:

www.dosplumasranch.com
325 / 665-9450

We're heading down next month to hunt hogs, and it was one of the places we considered very seriously, but couldn't make the dates work with the openings they had. It looked like a pretty neat place.

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: MNGrizzly] #152743 03/07/07 02:08 AM
W
Wild_Yote Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
I was`also gonna recommend dos plumas.
Don't forget to take bottle of vodka with you.
Owner will know who recommened you this place.

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: Wild_Yote] #152744 03/10/07 01:47 PM
H
hunterbrian1967 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Killzone,you should look up Txcornhusker he has a couple of hog places and the Haskell Co. place is awesome,Also Jason is a great host and guide and will almost guarantee you a hog.Good Luck and WELCOME to the forum...Brian

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: hunterbrian1967] #152745 03/10/07 04:57 PM
K
Killzone Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome everyone.

I'm probably more interested in finding an affordable ram place (w/hogs) than the pigs. Any other options besides Dos Plumas?

Any opinions on B-Hunting or North Texas Outfitters?

Thanks again.

Re: Ignorant Canadian looking for Hogs/Rams [Re: Killzone] #152746 03/10/07 07:49 PM
W
whakm Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Welcome! Not only to the website but to the greatest state(COUNTRY) IN THE WORLD! I don't know if this is what you're looking for but for about 4 or 5 years me and some buddies have been going out to a place in east Texas (just outside Jefferson) called the Busy B Ranch. They have about 1100 acres on which they hunt whitetails and such but they also have a "bow only" section that is over 100 acres ( I don't know the exact acreage)where you can hunt hogs,exotics and rams. They have lodging and a walk in cooler and JD and Jason who run(own) the place are a couple of the nicest guys you'd ever want to deal with. They have stands set up but they will also(and I love this part) let you stalk,still hunt or whatever you want to do.Because it's east Texas it is some of the thickest stuff you'll hunt which make stalking even better.I've hunted other "ranches"(some of which I hear talked about on this site) but I have never been so impressed as I am with this place.I have always gotten shots but I have had buddies who have come away empty handed so don't fool yourself into thinking this is "canned" at all,although on a couple of day hunt you should really get several chances..I beleive their website is www.busybranch.com Good Luck.

whakm pick a spot and breath!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide