Print Thread
Well i really need your guys help!! #1518495 07/07/10 08:31 PM
D
DillonBucks&Ducks92 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I am 17 about to be 18 and my dad will buy a pistol and give it to me (my money) will it be legal for me to have in my truck and with me when im hunting? any help would be greatly appriciated!

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: DillonBucks&Ducks92] #1518592 07/07/10 09:17 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
If I was to read something into your character based on your screen name then I would have to say you are not ready to own a pistol.

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money" Tom T Hall
Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: 2000cbr929] #1518624 07/07/10 09:31 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
what a great answer, CBR929.....?????.....

here's you answer:

There is no minimum age to possess firearms under Texas law, although federal law generally prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by anyone under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(2), (3) and (5).

Texas law prohibits intentionally or knowingly selling, renting, leasing, or giving or offering to sell, rent, lease, or give any firearm to any child younger than age 18. Tex. Penal Code Ann. § 46.06(a)(2). However, it is an affirmative defense to this offense that the parent or the person having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person having legal custody had given effective consent. Section 46.06(c). Federal law prohibits firearms dealers from selling or delivering handguns or ammunition for handguns to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1), (c)(1). Federal law also prohibits unlicensed persons from selling, delivering or otherwise transferring a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (3) and (5).

An applicant for a license to carry a concealed handgun under Texas law must be at least 21 years of age. Tex. Gov't. Code Ann. § 411.172(a)(2).

Next time, make the effort to find it yourself, you never know what kind you Jack-A** answers you'll get on a open form.

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: 2000cbr929] #1518634 07/07/10 09:38 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: 2000cbr929
If I was to read something into your character based on your screen name then I would have to say you are not ready to own a pistol.

Nice, was thinking the same thing.

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: SingleShot85] #1518673 07/07/10 09:51 PM
W
watchale Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: doctaylor
what a great answer, CBR929.....?????.....

here's you answer:

There is no minimum age to possess firearms under Texas law, although federal law generally prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by anyone under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(2), (3) and (5).

Texas law prohibits intentionally or knowingly selling, renting, leasing, or giving or offering to sell, rent, lease, or give any firearm to any child younger than age 18. Tex. Penal Code Ann. § 46.06(a)(2). However, it is an affirmative defense to this offense that the parent or the person having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person having legal custody had given effective consent. Section 46.06(c). Federal law prohibits firearms dealers from selling or delivering handguns or ammunition for handguns to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1), (c)(1). Federal law also prohibits unlicensed persons from selling, delivering or otherwise transferring a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (3) and (5).

An applicant for a license to carry a concealed handgun under Texas law must be at least 21 years of age. Tex. Gov't. Code Ann. § 411.172(a)(2).

Next time, make the effort to find it yourself, you never know what kind you Jack-A** answers you'll get on a open form.

scratch errr...so, what's the answer.

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: watchale] #1518789 07/07/10 11:02 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Didn't we have a huge fight over this a couple months ago and it was concluded that yes he could after he turned 18?

BTW based on your screen name I doubt you're mature enough to own one.

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: 2000cbr929] #1518803 07/07/10 11:11 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
well WTF stands for WhiteTail Freak so if thats what your talking about im sorry.

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: DillonBucks&Ducks92] #1518815 07/07/10 11:18 PM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I think you should wait until you can buy your own. I just think about how I was when I was your age and how teens act even now.

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: DillonBucks&Ducks92] #1518939 07/08/10 12:14 AM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Originally Posted By: WTFdillon92
I am 17 about to be 18 and my dad will buy a pistol and give it to me (my money) will it be legal for me to have in my truck and with me when im hunting? any help would be greatly appriciated!

How much training/experience do you have with a handgun? The safe use of a handgun is very important. It's not something you get then learn to use.

Give us a little more info on your experience, etc.

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: Big Orn] #1519494 07/08/10 05:20 AM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
I think we should let his dad make the call of whether he's ready or not.

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: Varget 7-08] #1519616 07/08/10 12:24 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
True Spaz - but we are still a public forum and turning a deaf ear to someone asking for help is rude.

up

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: Big Orn] #1519687 07/08/10 01:13 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Comment withdrawn. I apoligize for jumping to conclusions. Same problem I try and explain to my own kids. Perception is often the only impression you leave.

If your father is OK with it then you should be fine which is how I read the rule as posted by doc. However make sure you understand the responsibilities, and consequences of having a pistol in your truck. Even as an adult I have constant panic attacks when I have to stop and remember if I put my hand gun up and away so my 7 year old and his friends don't find it. It is a huge burden almost like having a kid. Always taking care to remove it from the car, put it in away, make sure it is safe, keep it away from the bad guys, and out of reach from your buddies that just might be a bit unruly and cause an accident. I cleaned my brothers pistol for him several years back and let myself into his apartment and left it on his counter. I called him and told him to put it away when he got home. A week later at 3:00 in the morning I received a call from the police department telling me our life long friend had been shot in my brothers apartment. He died on the scene. I should have held on to it until I could have delivered it to my brothers hands and he should have put it away. The friend was 22.

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money" Tom T Hall
Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: 2000cbr929] #1519746 07/08/10 01:50 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Its totally cool and understand yalls concern i do a lot of hunting and shooting all the time i have been raised around guns and safety my whole life. My dad thinks im responsible enuff i make good grades work 30 to 40 hours a week at Academy sports and outdoors and he trusts me. I do not want to carry the pistol with me all the time, just to the deer lease and to the range. Thanks for yalls input!

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: 2000cbr929] #1519882 07/08/10 03:02 PM
C
coldwater15 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
uhhh...why were you cleaning your brothers gun? if i was to read into your character based on your quote, i would say that you are an idiot for cleaning your brother's gun. he should know how to clean it himself, and if he doesn't then he is too immature to own a gun and you shouldn't have supported him having a gun. just my "perception" of your quote. of course that is probably not true, but it is the same justice you gave this guy.

anyways, the guy asked a question and here everyone is trying to decide whether he is qualified based on a screen name, even though no one knows him. what a bunch of holier than thou people you guys are. why not just answer the question (over whether it is LEGAL or not, and not whether he is qualified or not) and leave the smart remarks to yourselves. he obviously likes the forum and wants to interact, but after responses like this, i wouldn't blame him if he never posted anything else. jeez.

Situation's changed Jules...
Aggie '08
Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: DillonBucks&Ducks92] #1519885 07/08/10 03:03 PM
W
wacorusty Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Transporting to and from is totally different than daily carry. I don't know you but you sound like you are working your way into maturity. Remove it from your truck when you arrive at your destination. Don't leave it laying around loaded. Put it in places where you know it is safe. When you get back home store it. Don't forget about it and stop by some chicks house!

This is a very special treat that only an extremely small number of men your age will get to experience. Do it right.

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: wacorusty] #1519948 07/08/10 03:44 PM
T
texas republic Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: spaz123
I think we should let his dad make the call of whether he's ready or not.

Couldnt agree more. Who do some of you think you are trying to input your parenting advice into someone else's boy? Him coming onto a forum and at least asking tells me he is concerned enough to be cautious of the law. My parents MADE me carry a pistol every day on the ranch for protection because of the danger we have experienced with illegal aliens. I hated wearing that thing bc it always got in the way.

DocTaylor..your efforts are commended, but I highly doubt he followed the exact text of the legislation. I am in no way an expert in this, so any of you correct me if I am wrong here..

Basically, you cant buy it yourself since you arent 18 I dont believe, but your parents can.

You may possess it while hunting, but make damn sure its on safety at all times until youre ready to pull the trigger. I dont care what the reason is.

Your vehicle is considered an extension of your house while traveling on a road trip. Some cops dont really think this though, so dont try to educate them if they dont agree. Overall advice, only have it inside your truck while traveling long distances and then immediately take it back into the house once you arrive home.

You may keep it inside your truck while traveling, but keep it out of sight to avoid problems. If you are pulled over and it looks like they are going to search your vehicle, tell them it is in there. Dont play hide and seek with the PoPo. Make DAMN sure you dont leave it in your truck at school. Not even the ammo. Dont carry it "on your person" anywhere in public. You cant get a license to carry until you are 21.
Cant verify this, but I have heard that committing certain less serious crimes while having a pistol inside your vehicle may make the offense more serious. Some cop told me that, but I have never heard that before. I think he was talking about DWIs.

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: texas republic] #1520454 07/08/10 08:51 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
It was just a simple question. He gave us his age and what he wanted to do with the pistol - then asked for advice. Most of us old farts have raised kids for at least 1/2 our lives and that justifies our concerns. Nuff said.

Of course there will always be those that can't see the whole picture and focus only on what is in front of them. It's the nature of the beast in an internet forum...you can't see with whom you are talking, therefore the words and scenarios fall in place from a blind perspective.

It's all good - Dillon got the drift and now all is right with the world. grin

Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: Big Orn] #1520683 07/08/10 10:53 PM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
And the answer is...

Quote:
PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section71.01.

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: gogburn] #1521274 07/09/10 03:36 AM
H
Hunts_With_Stick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Whoever makes a judgement on this kid cause his screen name needs to chill, do you guys really think I go out into the woods and actually Hunt with a stick?

My observation is this; Kids who are interested in hunting/outdoors etc usually are better kids in general than the kind that are getting into trouble and focusing on the bad rather the good. This kid says he works just like the rest of us, put's his hours in at a job, makes good grades and spends time with his dad in the woods. I say he's ready if his dad says he's ready. Maybe we just answer the question instead of trying to be so holy than thou....

Before you book travel go here>>>> www.sdc1.rovia.com <<<<
Re: Well i really need your guys help!! [Re: Hunts_With_Stick] #1521329 07/09/10 04:14 AM
M
mdc10 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I understand where you are coming from. Many years ago when I was 17 my Dad bought me my first pistol to use when we went squirrel hunting. A year later I talked him into buying me a ruger blackhawke .44. Ultimately it will be his decision and follow his advice. Let him know ahead of time when and where you plan on taking it out of the house, Just in case!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide