Print Thread
Western Game (New Field) #1513086 07/04/10 01:53 PM
V
verne Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
V
I'm going on my first elk hunt this year and I'm sure there are a lot of elk hunters on here who could provide a lot information. Problem is, there's really no place to post that subject matter on here. I was wondering if it would possible to add a field, like "western game" or "other hunting" that could encompass elk, bear, antelope, etc.

Re: Western Game (New Field) [Re: verne] #1513131 07/04/10 02:39 PM
R
rsquared Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
R
i would say this category of open hunting is one of the most visited on the forum. you put it in the right place

where are you going? that will have a big bearing on the advice you get.. oregon, washington are way different than colorado, new mexico...

regardless of where, i would start with a really good pair of boots with strong ankle support.

Stuff my dad said in the deer blind

"I can dive deeper and come up drier"
"did you do that?"
Re: Western Game (New Field) [Re: rsquared] #1513147 07/04/10 02:53 PM
W
WEK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
I just moved to Dallas, but grew up and spent the vast majority of my life in Utah. I've been on more elk hunts than I can count as both the hunter and as a friend helping out. I've chased bulls in Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

Feel free to ask me absolutely anything you like and I will do everything I can to help.

The people on this forum have been extremely nice to me so far. I'm glad I have the opportunity to pay it forward a bit.

WEK

Re: Western Game (New Field) [Re: WEK] #1513229 07/04/10 03:54 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Ask away Verne.. you picked the right forum. I'm staring at a 6x6 elk on the wall in front of my desk right now.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Western Game (New Field) [Re: dkershen] #1515120 07/05/10 11:52 PM
V
verne Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
V
Great! Okay, so I'm going to Colorado. We'll be hunting the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness Area just south of the Wyoming border. Since this is my first elk hunt (as well as everyone else that's in our party), we're going with the fully guided option. Expensive, yes; but, I've heard too many horror stories about guys "just going" and never seeing anything other than other hunters and 4-wheelers.

I'm pretty sure we have everything we need for the hunt, and yes, I even bought 2 new pairs of boots especially for this hunt. Danner Pronghorns...hope they work out.

We're going to be hunting the first rifle season and our outfitter says that they average about 85% success on that hunt each year. EXCEPT last year. That's where I'm stumped and need help.

As a general rule, they get very little if any snow during the first season. This year, they basically had a blizzard blow in and sit on them for the entire week...effectively ruining the hunt. So, I'm not expecting anyone to make me feel better and say that it was just one of those freak things. I know that. What I'm worried about is proper clothing.

We were told that during the first rifle season, the guides usually wear the same stuff they do during the archery season. Well, I'm not sure their archery season is as warm as ours and I'm wondering if maybe that translates to "Bring your heavy gear".

As a side-bar and different subject, I also was hoping to get a new area on here dedicated to this stuff because it could make it easier to locate guides/properties/etc. for next year. I'm hoping to do an antelope or bear hunt, but after spending as much as I am this year, my accountant and boss (my wife) will send me packing if I try pulling the same stunt next year. So, maybe a do-it-yourself antelope hunt for around or under $1500.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Re: Western Game (New Field) [Re: verne] #1515150 07/06/10 12:10 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Verne,

Hope your hunt goes well. Couple of suggestions. "Wear the same stuff as archery season" is lame guidance. Your guide should be able to give you average highs and lows for their base camp during early rifle season. Use that to base your gear on, and pack with layers in mind rather than several hunting coats. Break those new boots in before the trip, and do it some place with elevation if you can. (blisters are a lousy way to ruin a hunt) Pack an oversized pair of white painters overalls in case it snows... large enough to go over the top of your bulkiest outfit. And scotch guard them.

Ask Cohunter22-250 on this forum if he's hunted your unit. Might have some tips specific to your area.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Re: Western Game (New Field) [Re: verne] #1515160 07/06/10 12:15 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
And don't forget to spend plenty of time at the range. You'll kick yourself for spending big dollars on a hunt and then not be able to make your shot. My bull offered a patch in the kill zone through heavy cover that was no bigger than a tennis ball.

Re: Western Game (New Field) [Re: dkershen] #1515238 07/06/10 12:59 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Layering is the key to the clothing. I have not hunted that area before but have hunted numerous times in Montana, North of White Sulphur Springs. First and second weeks of November, the weather can vary a lot. One year we were hunting in shirt sleeves another year in a week hunt never saw temps that were not negative, high that week was -5 degrees.

Good base layers are important I like the ones that wick moisture away from the skin, sweats work ok for a mid layer and I like a water proof / wind proof top layer. Have been using a pair of Browning Hydro Fleece since 1997 and they still work great. make sure your clothing is loose enough not to bind, stretched tight fabric looses insulation value if air is not trapped in the layers.

Boots like has been said break them in before going.

Plenty of range time, it is a shame to be presented a shot and not be able to make it, you might only get one shot, be ready to make it count.

If you have 2 suitable rifles for the hunt take both, more than once I have seen a second rifle come in real handy when something happened on a trip. Scope gave up the ghost on one trip, another hunter dropped his rifle and borrowed the spare on another trip.

Listen to your guides, you are paying them for the experience, they are the pros (Hopefully).

Most importantly have fun and enjoy the experience.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Western Game (New Field) [Re: kmon11] #1517267 07/07/10 02:34 AM
W
WEK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
So far you've been given very good advice from everyone on the forum. My answer is long, and you don't have to read it all if you don't want to. But I want to give you the fruits of my experience. :-)

(1) Clothing: Layering is crucial, and if you can afford to go purchase a warming compression base layer that wicks sweat and dries quickly--it is more worth it than you imagine. The amount you sweat when you hike around will probably surprise you, and when you take off that coat and shirt and go down to your base lawyer, you'll go from hot and soaked in sweat to cold and borderline hypothermic really quickly if you're wearing cotton or wool. I was very skeptical when they were first purchased for me, but I very quickly became a HUGE fan of Under Armour's cold gear base layer for hunters. What I personally do on early season elk hunts where I don't know what the weather will be is as follows: Under Armour cold gear camo base; under armour loose fit tee -or- mossy oak vapor-tech tee; fleece camo vest; waterproof coat. It's a similar set up on the bottom: Under Armour camo cold gear base layer; lightweight flexible hunting pant; water proof outer pant. If It rains or snows, I'm good and totally dry. That UA base layer for hunters does an amazing job keeping your body heat in while wicking sweat. If it's warm, I take the outermost water proof layer off. Just the vest and base layer are perfectly comfortable and keep you warm if a cool breeze comes through. (If you're out of shape, don't worry, nobody sees any part of the compression base layer but the arms, which are completely camo-covered anyway). Also, check the blaze-orange requirements for your state and area. And make sure to bring a warm weather blaze orange hat and a cold weather blaze orange hat. Do not buy blaze clothing itself. Buy a vest that goes over your camo hunting clothing. They are cheap, thin, and work wonderfully.

(2) Socks: Wool and long. When I say long, I mean up over the calf and close to the knee. If you do as I suggest and wear a compression base-layer, then put it on first and pull the socks on over it (generally, a compression base layer should extend to the lower shin at least). You also need more socks than you think. Much much more. If you don't use them, great. Trust me, it's much better to have extra. And I can't say this enough...LONG, and WOOL.

(3) Underwear. If you aren't going to buy a compression base layer that is full leg-length, at the very least buy compression shorts for your underwear and wear those under whatever non-compression base layer you have. Have you ever chafed at 5,000 ft elevation while hiking out of a hunt camp every day? You don't want to. But it happens to a lot of people, and no amount of Gold Bond will make it better while you're on the mountain. This is another advantage of the full-length compression base-layer.

(4) Boots: You picked a great boot. Everyone has said make sure you break them in. No, seriously--MAKE SURE YOU BREAK THEM IN. And I'm talking SERIOUS break in. Wear them around the house every night from the moment you get home. Make sure to go up and down staircases about a thousand times. Then, when you get there, tie them tighter than you think is necessary each morning. I'm talking seriously tight. As in borderline painful. They'll loosen quickly and mold to your foot perfectly. Make sure you treat them properly if the leather isn't already adequately waterproofed. And extra layer on the leather usually isn't a bad idea anyway.

(5) Misc.: If you have any level of gut that forces you to wear your pants low, use suspenders in addition to a belt to keep them up around your belly button. You'll be amazed how much a tiny paunch-gut will push your pants down as you hike, particularly if you are in terrain where you have to lift your knees up to traverse the landscape. Do you want to be stuck constantly pulling up your pants and re-tucking your shirt/base layer? No. You don't. I promise. It's annoying, uncomfortable, and can ruin a hike or stalk.
Also, clear, quality glass around your neck is a must. Make sure you are using a binocular harness and not just a neck strep. Binos hooked onto only straps bounce and hit your chest while hiking, and have a tendency to make the neck sore.

(6) Weapon: Shoot, shoot, and then shoot some more. Then when you think you're good enough, send me a PM, and we'll go shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. After that...you should shoot some more. Also, I don't know how your rifle is sighted in now, but I've found that two-inches high at 200 yards is perfect for western hunting in the vast majority of calibers. I shoot a .270, 300 Win. Mag. and 338 Win. Mag., depending, and all of them are sighted for +2" at 100 yards. It means that all the way out to 300 yards you can aim at the middle of an elk's vital zone and hit it with no adjustment in your hold. You need to find a place to practice at long-range as well if you haven't done that type of shooting before. If you have, you know what I mean. Saying that you can just hold in the same place at 300 and then actually doing it with accuracy is a whole different thing. Even just doing it a few times makes a world of difference.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your caliber of choice for the hunt?

WEK

Last edited by WEK; 07/07/10 02:43 AM.
Re: Western Game (New Field) [Re: WEK] #1524437 07/11/10 12:49 AM
V
verne Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
V
Really appreciate all the advice, guys. I take it that I REALLY need to break my boots in. I'd planned to, but with all the repeats, I'm thinking I should spend a little more time on that than I had originally thought I needed to.

As for the under armour, I'm all stocked up. Do need to get the long wool socks though. I've been looking at some they have a Cabelas that look good. The only problem may be finding some that come up to my knee area. I wear a size 14 shoe, and it's hard to find a sock that's going to have a lot of extra legging to it once you cover up my skis. Even the extra large ones. Still, that'll be what I'll look for.

I was sort of unsure which gun to take. I have a .270, 7mm Mag, and a 30-06. After consulting with my guide and everyone else I'm hunting with, I've decided to make my primary gun the '06 shooting 180 grain Winchester XP3s. The main reason I've decided on this one is because it's the one I'm most comfortable with, the one I've shot the most (even out to 300 yards), and also happens to be same calibur everyone else in my party is using...meaning that if I need more ammo, I'm set. Still plan on taking the 7mm along as backup, however. I'll be feeding it 160 grain Winchester XP3s. I'm told that 95% of the elk his hunters take are under 100 yards, and he says he can't remember the last one that was over 300. So, I really think the 06 will work well.

Again, thanks for all the advice. Anyone finds a reasonably priced antelope hunt for next year, let me know.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide