Print Thread
I need some advise! #1510275 07/02/10 04:24 PM
M
mohicansneakin Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
I have a lab that I am currently training to retrieve ducks\ dove. everything is going good, she really pays attentionand seems to want to learn more. but, the first problem I have come acrossed is that she seems to b scared to swim in the water. she will get in and run/walk around up until she has to swim and then she will run out. almost as if she has had a bad experience swimming, there has been none though. Also, I can't get here to retieve anything but a bumper, she runs to it and sniffs of it, and will most of the time pick it up but will not bring it back or keep it in her mouth. Is there a good way to fix these problems? thanks

Re: I need some advise! [Re: mohicansneakin] #1510310 07/02/10 04:41 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Get in the water with her, go slow and don't force it OR get another dog that will swim to go with her. The second one is a lot less work and drier for you.

When you get to force fetch her the 2nd problem won't exist anymore.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: I need some advise! [Re: mohicansneakin] #1511512 07/03/10 04:42 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
x2 of Judd's ff comment, though we use a gentler method of training the fetch command that takes longer, but eliminates much of the 'force'.

How old is the dog? Very young pups (10 weeks or younger, usually) take a while to understand that they need to remain horizontal in order to swim effectively. They try to spring off those back legs like they would on land and wind up vertical, then start to sink = panic/fear/insecurity. We speed up the water confidence development by helping them learn to stay horizontal. They learn quickly and then get on to enjoying fun and retrieving in the water!

Here are some vids of 14 week old pups water retrieving:
http://ironspikeranch.com/PupUpdates.aspx

Alternatively, a mentor dog (again, as Judd suggested) with which you can establish some 'playful competition' is a great motivator. Pups will almost always jump right in and be so focused on the game, they forget their fears/concerns about the water.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: I need some advise! [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1520011 07/08/10 04:15 PM
W
waterlandkennels Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
If you can get another dog that loves water it will help encourage her to swim. If you hold a rubber bumper in the dogs mouth and only petting it when the bumper is in the mouth it will start holding it.If you force fetch the dog it will pick up anything within reason and solve alot of of problems for you. Force fetch is something that is a must if really serious about your dog.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide