5073759 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1469549 - 06/08/10 04:32 PM Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL
NikonDealer Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Dallas TX 75243
I found a CHL instructor in Denton (www.familygunfun.com/) that offers a CHL class but its for a Utah CHL. Has anyone taking this class and do you advise doing it this way. The class time is 4 hours and no gun qualification. Input is greatly appricated.

Edited by NikonDealer (06/08/10 04:40 PM)

#1469798 - 06/08/10 07:25 PM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: NikonDealer]
retrieverman Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
I have an acquaintance in the DFW area who has taken the Utah class, but something about that just doesn't seem quite right to me.

I took the Texas class as soon as it was "legalized" in 1995 and have taken 4 renewals since then, and I believe if you are getting a permit to CARRY a gun that you should actually have to prove that you can SHOOT a gun. Maybe it is just me though.... confused2

#1469921 - 06/08/10 08:20 PM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: retrieverman]
TCUHUnter Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: ft worth, tx
its easy to shoot a gun, just pull the trigger. all my buddies that went and got a chl said the shooting test is a joke. I dont understand the point of having a shooting test if the results really dont matter. I have heard good things about the Utah CHL

#1470003 - 06/08/10 08:56 PM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: TCUHUnter]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: TCUHUnter
its easy to shoot a gun, just pull the trigger. all my buddies that went and got a chl said the shooting test is a joke. I dont understand the point of having a shooting test if the results really dont matter. I have heard good things about the Utah CHL

TCUhunter

Have you taken the CHL course personally???

As I said, I have had the CHL class and 4 renewals, and in every single qualification, there were people who had never fire a handgun before. The instructor literally had to show them how to hold their guns.

Having people take a class that gives them legal right to carry a handgun and never have to prove any kind of shooting proficiency scares me to death.

For "gun guys and gals", it may seem like no big deal, but there are people getting licenses that have never owned a gun or shot before, and in my humble opinion, the current shooting proficiency is not nearly enough.

Edited by retrieverman (06/08/10 08:58 PM)

#1470298 - 06/09/10 12:35 AM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: retrieverman]
Henryseale Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Texas City
Agreed, there needs to be a shooting proficiency requirement. Both my wife and I have our CHL and I can not drag her out to the shooting range for practice. The only time she gets any practice time is when we go for a renewal of our licenses. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

#1470333 - 06/09/10 05:04 AM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: Henryseale]
Sniper John Offline

gumshoe
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas
NikonDealer,
If you have a Hunter Safety Cert or have been in the military, you might want to look into the Florida license. It is what I carry under.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#1470415 - 06/09/10 07:44 AM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: Sniper John]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
NikonDealer,
If you have a Hunter Safety Cert or have been in the military, you might want to look into the Florida license. It is what I carry under.

I am completely baffled here. Why are so many people trying to "skirt the law" and get out of state CHL licenses??? What am I missing???

#1470424 - 06/09/10 07:55 AM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: retrieverman]
Texpppr Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Harlingen, Texas
I thought the Texas class was fine. I really enjoyed the classroom work. Learning about the laws of using deadly force. Thats a must... The shooting wasn't all that hard and when I renewed I did see some ladies that had to rent a gun to shoot. The instructor sold some of them a ladies only shooting class to take with him to become more proficient.. But he did pass them right there with very limited shooting skills.

#1470708 - 06/09/10 10:42 AM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: Texpppr]
Gumbeaux Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Georgetown
I believe the benefit of out of state licenses is that you get more "reciprocal" states that way, meaning you can carry in more states. For some reason, I think the Utah CHL is the most universally accepted across the US, therefore a lot of people from a lot of states get a license there.

Also, the shooting test in Texas is a joke. I'm not sure that it's even better than nothing. In everyone of my classes, there has been someone that has had no clue how to shoot, and I guarantee you, a day after passing that test, they had no idea how to shoot. For the test, you should be required to safely load, charge, and fire your gun accurately. I've seen instructors load magazines for people before and give them a quick 5 minute lesson on how the gun works. If you don't know how it works, you should fail, plain and simple. But that is not how it is.

#1470760 - 06/09/10 11:03 AM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: Gumbeaux]
BigJake7mm Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Frisco, Texas
I am getting ready to do my class, and considered the Utah option. After a lot of research, and looking at the states that I travel through the most, I found that the biggest disadvantage to the Utah license is that it is considered a "non resident" Utah license. More and more states are refusing to reciprocate, non-resident licenses.

Honestly that is the only negative I found, my gut just tells me that carrying a Texas License vs. a Utah, will lead to far less headaches down the road, since I live, work, and Hunt in Texas. Not to mention, I personally would not feel right carrying a concealed handgun, if I wasn't very familiar with my local "use of deadly force" laws. Just my opinion.

#1470770 - 06/09/10 11:05 AM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: Gumbeaux]
NikonDealer Offline
Outdoorsman

retrieverman, Not for sure if getting the Utah CHL is skirting the law! I have been told by several CHL instructers that you may be waiting up to 8 weeks to receive your CHL from Texas. The process seems to be slow and overpriced. Just my 2 cents!

#1470990 - 06/09/10 12:40 PM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: NikonDealer]
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: south texas,or know as texico
Hey if you dont like the way texas does things then move to utah or florida....... jmo.... hell i dont want a pansy liesense from one of those states anyways.....

#1471012 - 06/09/10 12:51 PM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: texasd]
beech96w Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
I'd rather not explain it to a grand jury.

Why don't you have a Texas CHL?
a. wanted to pay less $
b. was impatient
c. didn't want to take proficiency test
d. thought _____'s CHL was good enough

#1471026 - 06/09/10 12:54 PM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: beech96w]
NikonDealer Offline
Outdoorsman

Beech96w

Good points Texas CHL it is!

#1471116 - 06/09/10 01:23 PM Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL [Re: beech96w]
Wader Offline
Tracker

Loc: Krum, TX
Originally Posted By: beech96w
I'd rather not explain it to a grand jury.

Why don't you have a Texas CHL?
a. wanted to pay less $
b. was impatient
c. didn't want to take proficiency test
d. thought _____'s CHL was good enough

LOL, so who is up for race to get a CHL from all the states with out of state CHL's? That way your bases are about as covered as they can get. "Your honor I have a <insert Johnny Cash's "I've been I carry everywhere"> CHL and my life was in imminent danger."

Seriously, we live here so why not do what Texas does currently and fight for change if the current rules and process are not good enough. Every politician needs an earful - full of what is up to you.

-w

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide