Texas Hunting Forum

Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL

Posted By: NikonDealer

Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/08/10 09:32 PM

I found a CHL instructor in Denton (www.familygunfun.com/) that offers a CHL class but its for a Utah CHL. Has anyone taking this class and do you advise doing it this way. The class time is 4 hours and no gun qualification. Input is greatly appricated.

Posted By: retrieverman

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 12:25 AM

I have an acquaintance in the DFW area who has taken the Utah class, but something about that just doesn't seem quite right to me.

I took the Texas class as soon as it was "legalized" in 1995 and have taken 4 renewals since then, and I believe if you are getting a permit to CARRY a gun that you should actually have to prove that you can SHOOT a gun. Maybe it is just me though.... confused2

Posted By: TCUHUnter

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 01:20 AM

its easy to shoot a gun, just pull the trigger. all my buddies that went and got a chl said the shooting test is a joke. I dont understand the point of having a shooting test if the results really dont matter. I have heard good things about the Utah CHL

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: TCUHUnter
its easy to shoot a gun, just pull the trigger. all my buddies that went and got a chl said the shooting test is a joke. I dont understand the point of having a shooting test if the results really dont matter. I have heard good things about the Utah CHL

TCUhunter

Have you taken the CHL course personally???

As I said, I have had the CHL class and 4 renewals, and in every single qualification, there were people who had never fire a handgun before. The instructor literally had to show them how to hold their guns.

Having people take a class that gives them legal right to carry a handgun and never have to prove any kind of shooting proficiency scares me to death.

For "gun guys and gals", it may seem like no big deal, but there are people getting licenses that have never owned a gun or shot before, and in my humble opinion, the current shooting proficiency is not nearly enough.

Posted By: Henryseale

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 05:35 AM

Agreed, there needs to be a shooting proficiency requirement. Both my wife and I have our CHL and I can not drag her out to the shooting range for practice. The only time she gets any practice time is when we go for a renewal of our licenses. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 10:04 AM

NikonDealer,
If you have a Hunter Safety Cert or have been in the military, you might want to look into the Florida license. It is what I carry under.

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
NikonDealer,
If you have a Hunter Safety Cert or have been in the military, you might want to look into the Florida license. It is what I carry under.

I am completely baffled here. Why are so many people trying to "skirt the law" and get out of state CHL licenses??? What am I missing???

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 12:55 PM

I thought the Texas class was fine. I really enjoyed the classroom work. Learning about the laws of using deadly force. Thats a must... The shooting wasn't all that hard and when I renewed I did see some ladies that had to rent a gun to shoot. The instructor sold some of them a ladies only shooting class to take with him to become more proficient.. But he did pass them right there with very limited shooting skills.

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 03:42 PM

I believe the benefit of out of state licenses is that you get more "reciprocal" states that way, meaning you can carry in more states. For some reason, I think the Utah CHL is the most universally accepted across the US, therefore a lot of people from a lot of states get a license there.

Also, the shooting test in Texas is a joke. I'm not sure that it's even better than nothing. In everyone of my classes, there has been someone that has had no clue how to shoot, and I guarantee you, a day after passing that test, they had no idea how to shoot. For the test, you should be required to safely load, charge, and fire your gun accurately. I've seen instructors load magazines for people before and give them a quick 5 minute lesson on how the gun works. If you don't know how it works, you should fail, plain and simple. But that is not how it is.

Posted By: BigJake7mm

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 04:03 PM

I am getting ready to do my class, and considered the Utah option. After a lot of research, and looking at the states that I travel through the most, I found that the biggest disadvantage to the Utah license is that it is considered a "non resident" Utah license. More and more states are refusing to reciprocate, non-resident licenses.

Honestly that is the only negative I found, my gut just tells me that carrying a Texas License vs. a Utah, will lead to far less headaches down the road, since I live, work, and Hunt in Texas. Not to mention, I personally would not feel right carrying a concealed handgun, if I wasn't very familiar with my local "use of deadly force" laws. Just my opinion.

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 04:05 PM

retrieverman, Not for sure if getting the Utah CHL is skirting the law! I have been told by several CHL instructers that you may be waiting up to 8 weeks to receive your CHL from Texas. The process seems to be slow and overpriced. Just my 2 cents!

Posted By: texasd

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 05:40 PM

Hey if you dont like the way texas does things then move to utah or florida....... jmo.... hell i dont want a pansy liesense from one of those states anyways.....

Posted By: beech96w

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 05:51 PM

I'd rather not explain it to a grand jury.

Why don't you have a Texas CHL?
a. wanted to pay less $
b. was impatient
c. didn't want to take proficiency test
d. thought _____'s CHL was good enough

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 05:54 PM

Beech96w

Good points Texas CHL it is!

Posted By: Wader

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: beech96w
I'd rather not explain it to a grand jury.

Why don't you have a Texas CHL?
a. wanted to pay less $
b. was impatient
c. didn't want to take proficiency test
d. thought _____'s CHL was good enough

LOL, so who is up for race to get a CHL from all the states with out of state CHL's? That way your bases are about as covered as they can get. "Your honor I have a <insert Johnny Cash's "I've been I carry everywhere"> CHL and my life was in imminent danger."

Seriously, we live here so why not do what Texas does currently and fight for change if the current rules and process are not good enough. Every politician needs an earful - full of what is up to you.

-w

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 09:04 PM

Did you know that in Texas the Prosecutor and Judge is exempt from taking the class/shooting proficiency and only pays a $25 license fee for their CHL. Or that anyone that carrys in their vehicle can do so for FREE without taking a class.

Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 09:37 PM

My son is stationed at TwentyNine Palms Marine Base in California. They (California) do not have CCW. He wanted to get one, so he went to Nevada and took their course. First of all he made sure it would apply when he comes back to Missouri this fall. He said it was a 12 hour course (8am to 9PM). Eventhough he was military, he said they did not cut him any slack.
I agree with retrieverman, there needs to be a qualification test. I saw several people in my class that had never held a handgun in their life. A few had borrowed a handgun from friends and had never shot it before. The instructor actually had to show how to load them.
Here in Missouri we have to qualify with BOTH a semiauto AND a revolver. There are no caliber restrictions (I used a 9mm semiauto and a .22 revolver), but the instructors highly encouraged that you bring the one intend for use as your carry handgun.

Posted By: doc606

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/09/10 10:58 PM

I guess Im gonna go out on a limb here but before i do i do have my chl (Tx) and it took me from Feb-Sep to get it. But my statement is if u can legally get a Utah or Florida license get it, along with ur Texas, if u live in Texas. It does not matter where u get one as long as u are legally able to obtain one. I am of the mindset that everyone that is legal to own one should do it, in this day and age it is your OBLGATION to yourself and your family to have one. To me it doesnt matter what state u have. And if YOU ARE LEGAL IN USING DEADLY FORCE, it doesnt matter whose state you have as long as the state that shooting occured in recognizes the others chl. In other words a non-resident Utah license in Texas isnt going to matter as long as the shooting was justified to begin with. That is why Texas recognizes Utahs. I am in the process of getting both my Utah and Florida and have even researched Mississippi's. Bottom line it just plain dont matter if the shooting was legal, whose state u had.
doc

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/10/10 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: retrieverman
Originally Posted By: TCUHUnter

TCUhunter

Have you taken the CHL course personally???

As I said, I have had the CHL class and 4 renewals, and in every single qualification, there were people who had never fire a handgun before. The instructor literally had to show them how to hold their guns.

Having people take a class that gives them legal right to carry a handgun and never have to prove any kind of shooting proficiency scares me to death.

For "gun guys and gals", it may seem like no big deal, but there are people getting licenses that have never owned a gun or shot before, and in my humble opinion, the current shooting proficiency is not nearly enough.

I agree when my son took his CHL a guy was kicked off the range because he did not know how to shoot a gun, load it or hold it. He actually shot the floor about a foot in front of his own foot. I am not in favor of the Utah CHL unless I lived in Utah. Why not just do what Texas your home State ask.

Posted By: jds15151

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/10/10 10:41 PM

I have several of my employees that took the class. Some also have a Texas CHL and some do not. The Utah permit does not have a residency requirement. Their main reason for getting the Utah permit was travel. We are going to Washington State this summer for a year and Washington recognizes the Utah permit but not the Texas permit.

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/10/10 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jds15151
I have several of my employees that took the class. Some also have a Texas CHL and some do not. The Utah permit does not have a residency requirement. Their main reason for getting the Utah permit was travel. We are going to Washington State this summer for a year and Washington recognizes the Utah permit but not the Texas permit.

OK, now this is the first LEGITIMATE reason I have seen for getting a Utah permit.

Thanks for posting!

Posted By: Armadillo Tacos

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/10/10 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: NikonDealer
I found a CHL instructor in Denton (www.familygunfun.com/) that offers a CHL class but its for a Utah CHL. Has anyone taking this class and do you advise doing it this way. The class time is 4 hours and no gun qualification. Input is greatly appricated.

I'd just find an instructer that does the Texas CHL and be done. I'm not sure that Texas recognizes a Texas Resident with a Utah License since the laws states that Texas recognizes non residents with Utah License.

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/11/10 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Armadillo Tacos

I'd just find an instructer that does the Texas CHL and be done. I'm not sure that Texas recognizes a Texas Resident with a Utah License since the laws states that Texas recognizes non residents with Utah License.

this is what im wondering

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/11/10 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: luv2brode
Originally Posted By: Armadillo Tacos

this is what im wondering

I wouldn't worry. I am sure that Utah and Florida licenses are "recognized", but it just seems to me like there are a lot of people just wanting to get something for nothing by getting those licenses.

Basically, for four hours and $165.25, ANYONE can have a CHL, and that doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/16/10 07:02 PM

Most people that are getting out of State CCW permits are not doing it because its easyer, cheaper, takes less waiting, there doing it because there is more recipricity from that states CCW than Texas.

The shooting qual is a joke, anybody could pass it, in fact half of the people in my class had never shot a gun before that day.

Mine really hacked me off, because I took the class in the 3rd week of December, April I recieved the wrong CHL it was some guy in Houston. I finaley got mine in the last week of May that is completly retarded.

Posted By: brain1

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/29/10 08:36 PM

If you don't live in Utah, you can't vote in Utah. If you think this will stand long term, I think you are mistaken. Texas CHL instructors are loosing money as is the Texas DPS. The instructor training is no where near equal. I believe this hurts the integrity of the Texas CHL. The crimial issue is just half. What about civil? If Texas or Utah makes a change you won't get a refund and you have no say so in the matter.

Posted By: massn8v

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/30/10 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Psychosmurf
Most people that are getting out of State CCW permits are not doing it because its easyer, cheaper, takes less waiting, there doing it because there is more recipricity from that states CCW than Texas.

The shooting qual is a joke, anybody could pass it, in fact half of the people in my class had never shot a gun before that day.

Mine really hacked me off, because I took the class in the 3rd week of December, April I recieved the wrong CHL it was some guy in Houston. I finaley got mine in the last week of May that is completly retarded.

The reciprocity isn't really a good reason unless you go to certain states. If you have the RESIDENT Texas CHL, you get reciprocity in 31 states, Utah included. Utah NON-RESIDENT only has reciprocity in 28 states. They aren't all the same states, though. Utah gets you OH, WV, and WA. Texas doesn't get those three, but they get SC and KS. I personally think that the RESIDENT license is a lot better. Some states, including CO, FL, and NM don't recognize the NON-RESIDENT licenses.

Posted By: Plinkin'

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 06/30/10 09:30 PM

I have not seen all the posts in this thread as I just found it. I can't compare the two courses but I'm watching all the local news pieces on it. It's getting attention around the State due to the story. Hopefully those taking the legally recognized Utah plan will also find time to pop some caps.

Posted By: Honker Jake

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/01/10 03:10 AM

I am looking into getting mine now. It will be in Texas. As far as I'm concerned if I am a law abiding citizen I should be able to carry one licensed or not. After all, the thug that I get a license to shoot sure as chit didn't have one when he pulled a gun on me.

I carry one in my truck now and it is legal. As crazy as thing's are now that just isn't enough. So I guess I will break down and pay the money to legally be able to defend my family and self.

Posted By: John175 ®

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/01/10 11:22 AM

I have the TX but if I had need to go to OH, WV, or WA the Utah CHL would interest me.

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/01/10 11:37 AM

Can you hold CHLs from multiple States? That would be something new to collect!

Posted By: deedeetaylor

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/01/10 10:08 PM

I'm ok with the Utah non-resident CHL, though I have a Texas CHL. I'm supportive of it from the "Big Picture" point of view. The 2nd Amendment allows (and I say requests) US citizens to be armed. The Utah laws supports more Americans to do what they are constitutionally able to do. That's a good thing! The constitution didn't say anything about marksman's or safety. It doesn't say anything about sound minds or criminals. The constitution gives me a right, and only a change in the constitution should alter that. The consequences of poor markmanship is an individual issue and the consequences of a kook getting a gun is an individual issue. Dealing with that should be the same as the way we deal with bad drivers, drunks, and all criminals. Local authority deal with those sort. Every chance I get I'm gonna protest the fed govt impositions. I want them to stay out of my car (seatbelt use is my option), stay out of my bedroom (use your imagination---it's still your right), and let me protect myself, my family, and my property.

Posted By: HogSlayer7

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/03/10 02:28 AM

Im all for the Utah chl, as stated above we shouldn't have to pay the state $200 bucks plus class fee and $$$ to keep the license. The constitution states we have the right to keep and bear arms. There are tons of bad drivers on the road, horrible licensed doctors and the list goes on and on. Having a license means nothing to me as I know alot of people who have a TEXAS CHL and dont know which way is up. I could goto medical school to be a surgeon if they gave me all the answers to the test before hand and showed me how to hold and use the instruments during testing.

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/03/10 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: JCurt
Im all for the Utah chl, as stated above we shouldn't have to pay the state $200 bucks plus class fee and $$$ to keep the license. The constitution states we have the right to keep and bear arms. There are tons of bad drivers on the road, horrible licensed doctors and the list goes on and on. Having a license means nothing to me as I know alot of people who have a TEXAS CHL and dont know which way is up. I could goto medical school to be a surgeon if they gave me all the answers to the test before hand and showed me how to hold and use the instruments during testing.

Interesting logic.

If I am understanding you correctly, you think the Texas CHL class is a joke, so instead you support a Utah non-resident class that is a bigger joke. up

Posted By: Grayhawk

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/03/10 03:37 AM

I added the Utah CHL for two reasons:
1. It adds additional states (that do not recognize a Tx chl)in which you can legally carry.
2. In Texas, your CHL can be suspended if you are charged with certain offenses whereas with the Utah chl you keep it unless actually convicted. Taking it a step further, as great a state as Texas is, if you are a CHL holder you are quilty until proven innocent. If you are a Utah CHL holder, they follow the constitution and you are innocent until proven guilty. If you have both, worst case scenario for honest law-abiding Texan, your Tx chl is suspended but you can still carry in Tx with your Utah chl.

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/04/10 07:07 AM

Grayhawk

Your post is very interesting, and I might even consider taking the Utah class IN ADDITION TO my Texas CHL. You have one of the few, in my view, legitimate arguments in favor of the non-resident Utah CHL.
Thanks!

Posted By: Grayhawk

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/05/10 03:34 AM

It only cost me $25 more to include the Utah class with the Tx class. The Utah license is only $65 and if I remember correctly, only $10 to renew. Pretty cheap insurance I believe.

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/05/10 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Grayhawk
It only cost me $25 more to include the Utah class with the Tx class. The Utah license is only $65 and if I remember correctly, only $10 to renew. Pretty cheap insurance I believe.

Good to know! up

Is there anyone who does the Utah class other than in the metroplex? confused2

Posted By: fmelendez74

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/05/10 05:17 PM

Familygunfun.com does the utah outside the metroplex also..call ?brad Brasell..great guy

Posted By: HogSlayer7

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/05/10 10:24 PM

Both of the classes are a joke IMO. Its just a way for the state to make money on something that our constitution says we have the right do to for free. So why not support the cheaper option?

Posted By: WEBBYODER

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/06/10 08:04 PM

A CHL is just a Tax with an expiration date on a constitutional right. That being said, I paid it. The Utah license would only interest me if I found myself traveling to a state without Texas reciprocity.

Posted By: charlieb

Re: Utah CHL vs. Texas CHL - 07/13/10 07:35 PM

I really couldn't give a rat's [censored] about the quality, training, [censored], etc... of a CHL course. All I want is the cheapest easiest way to get a CHL permit (that's valid in my state), because I should not have to ask permission for what is already my constitutional right. If I could get it for free without having to lift a finger I certainly would.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum