Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: BOB7] #1421441 05/13/10 02:39 AM
C
Csddarden Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I was at the range 6-7 years ago with my now long-gone .308 shooting Hornaday ammo. Sighting it in, chambered a round, let it loose... sounded odd, and there was no mark on the paper. I think, hm, maybe I pulled the crap outa it or something. Chamber the next round, let it loose, this one sounds REALLY odd. My friend starts freaking out, so I get up from behind the rifle to find the barrel has exploded out the side. Aparently Hornaday forgot to put powder in the first shell that sounded odd and it got stuck about 5-6 inches in the barrel; second shot came up behind and BOOM - ruined gun. Ruger replaced it under warranty. Sold the gun and will never shoot hornaday loads again.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: BOB7] #1421458 05/13/10 02:44 AM
C
caprocker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
when i was 14 we had a huge storm hit on the lease we were hunting in coke county..its was spring turkey season and our lease was water locked on all sides by tributaries of the colorado river..we were stranded and had to drive out thru some very high water..after waiting on the water to come down from 10 feet to about 5 we decided to try to foard the shallowest of the 3 streams we had to cross..as on most west texas roads there were poly pipe flow lines running beside all the lease roads..in order to cross with our truck i had to wade out chest deep in the running water to hold the flowline back while dad drove the truck across...all i remember is that the water was cold and there were a lot of things hitting me in the water that i couldnt see at 3 a.m....we made it out but it was an endearing time for a 14 year old kid...i look back and wonder if we ever told mom..i bet she would have taken a skillet to dad if she knew what we had done just so i could get to school on time the next morning..

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: caprocker] #1421664 05/13/10 03:44 AM
T
t george Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
man, some of yalls stories could be posted up in a "reasons to carry at all times" thread I dont know what I would do if some one put a gun to my chest, but if it ever happens they better finish the job because they aint gona like it if I live to fight another day...

the most danger I have ever been in while hunting or in the outdoors was on richaland chambers in a 13ft aluminum boat with a 1957 7.5hp jhonson motor on it. talk about a wild ride with the high winds and big white caps... took us about 2 hours to get back to the dock that might have been a mile away at best... i was 12 years old and I was stinkin cold!!!

learn something new everyday and you will have never wasted a day.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: t george] #1421775 05/13/10 04:43 AM
V
Varget 7-08 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
Dang, after reading all of these stories I might take up golf!

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Varget 7-08] #1421898 05/13/10 12:21 PM
L
llanite Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: spaz123
Dang, after reading all of these stories I might take up golf!

My grandfather got hit by lightning on the golf course once. Lived to tell about it, but it blew his shoes off and burned his feet and his belt buckle burned his belly.

"We could say they spend like drunken sailors, but that would be unfair to drunken sailors, because the sailors are spending their own money." Ronald Reagan
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: llanite] #1421944 05/13/10 12:54 PM
J
JESmith Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Came face to face with a big bull moose while backpacking in the Absorokas. I had a sawed-off 12 guage stashed in my bed roll. I yanked on it. It snagged and I couldn't pull it free. I got a tree between me and the moose. We danced around that tree a couple of times. Finally the moose got bored and stomped off. When I got home, the first thing I did was bob the hammer on that shotgun.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: llanite] #1421959 05/13/10 01:04 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
My Grandfather owned 320 acres NE of Plainview, Tx. Back in high school, I and my cousins were hunting pheasants on it in 15 degree weather. We get to the end of the turn row about a mile from our truck and notice the stock pond is frozen. My cousin walks out on it and falls through the ice. We managed to pull him out, but we know it is a mile run back to the truck. Luckily his Dad was watching us with binoculars and when he saw Victor start to walk over the ice, he raced over in his truck. Two of us had to carry him to the truck as he was already entering early stages of hypothermia.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: llanite] #1422049 05/13/10 01:46 PM
S
scott1071 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
When I was young and stupid my buddies and I were dove hunting. It was hot and heavy, but the dove were in a compact area so were all way too close to each other, like 50 feet. I was standing in a shallow ravine and looked to my right only to find my buddy drawing a bead on a dove and swinging straight towards me. I hit the deck, he fired and dirt flew everywhere where I was standing. Had I not seen him he would have shot me in the shoulder/head area from 50 feet. I almost shot back at him.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Santamour123] #1422443 05/13/10 04:31 PM
M
meathunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Had my windshield blown out by someone shooting at me, had a knife pulled on me in a fight, and did not let a guy in a bar that I was bouncing at in college and he went and got a shotgun and pointed it in my face. Big mistake, I noticed he did not have his finger in the trigger guard, and well lets just say he was happy when the cops got there. But nothing that scary.

Living Day by Day.
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1422480 05/13/10 04:55 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter
Did not happen to me but to my Uncle, He was crossing a fence with his gun. I guess safety was off and he fell the gun went off into his leg. He was alone. Eventually, his son in law came looking for him and got him help. He had put a tourniquet on the leg to stop the bleeding but eventually his lost that leg.

You know folk, I have been in Combat but that did not even occur to me. I guess I was in a well enough trained unit that I really never felt in much danger. The only time I was really scared was on convoy in Desert Storm and one of those stupid scud missile exploded in the air above us. Later we found out it was one taken out by a Patriot Missile.

Old Soldier
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1422535 05/13/10 05:24 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
On the opening weekend of deer season 1997, we were all trying to get to our place in the Hill Country and it was raining. BIL got there first and it takes 35 feet of water from the Llano River to get into our house by the river. River was raging when he got there and he marked where it was and went back into the house. About 30 minutes later he looked out and his marker was gone. He decided to get out of there and left, but still had to drive through water up over his wheels to get out. River ended up getting 7 feet into the house and almost pushing it off of its foundation. The house would have gone to Lake Buchanan if the fireplace had not been located on the downstream side of the house. I can only imagine if we had all been there and gone to bed only to wake up to water filling up the house with no way to get out of there since all of our vehicles would have been under water. Sound of the river used to comfort me when I went to sleep with a window open, but now it haunts me.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: BenBob] #1422971 05/13/10 09:07 PM
C
chargercody Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Pissing off my very pregnant wife when I told her rather rudely to be still and be quiet. Hormones.........

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: BOB7] #1422996 05/13/10 09:22 PM
K
kevlp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: BOB7

i first thought was' i'd catch that guy later without his gun and give him an a_ _ whipping of his life.
then i remembered a story i think it about five or so years ago around crosbyton.

i looked for the story on the internet and couldn't find it, but anyway this guy had leased his land out to this guy and thay got cross some how or another.
the land owner and his grown son were sitting in the pickup out on this place.
the guy that had it leased drives up beside them and rolls down his window
so they roll down thier window to see what he wants
this guy raises up a 12 guage and shoots them both.
if i remember right the dad dies right there and the son lives for a while but dies a day or two later.

Is this the one Bob? Story
I grew up in Crosbyton and was living there when this happened.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: kevlp] #1423576 05/14/10 02:19 AM
T
tgammon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
this is a story about my buddy he had a lease in buffalo Texas there cabin had been broken into but thought nothing of it because from what they could tell the guy just slept in his bed, well he gets to his blind to find the guy sitting in it with a hole in his head and a suicide note, he had been there for 2 months, they sold the lease right after that

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: kevlp] #1423643 05/14/10 02:38 AM
B
BOB7 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: kevlp
Originally Posted By: BOB7

i first thought was' i'd catch that guy later without his gun and give him an a_ _ whipping of his life.
then i remembered a story i think it about five or so years ago around crosbyton.

i looked for the story on the internet and couldn't find it, but anyway this guy had leased his land out to this guy and thay got cross some how or another.
the land owner and his grown son were sitting in the pickup out on this place.
the guy that had it leased drives up beside them and rolls down his window
so they roll down thier window to see what he wants
this guy raises up a 12 guage and shoots them both.
if i remember right the dad dies right there and the son lives for a while but dies a day or two later.

Is this the one Bob? Story
I grew up in Crosbyton and was living there when this happened.

sounds like it.
it's not the way i remembered it, but too similar not to be.
wow 1998, time flies when your having fun.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: BOB7] #1423765 05/14/10 03:42 AM
A
Alec Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
During November 2006, I shot a 6 pt buck and he dropped right on the spot and and I waited about 10 min to go over and get him. When we got to him, we thought he was dead but then he got up and looked right at us not even 15 feet away and I thought he was going to attack. Meanwhile my dad was chambering another round in the rifle to finish him off, but before he could get the gun up, the buck ran off about 30-40yds into some mesquite trees.

Thankfully I was able to see his antlers sticking up off the ground or I probably never would've found him.

Last edited by Alec; 05/14/10 03:45 AM.
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Alec] #1424010 05/14/10 01:00 PM
H
hogghunter123 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I'm going to tell on BenBob we were hunting pigs in
Jacksboro, Bob killed two with one shot. Later that night he went outside to take a leak as I went to the truck to get my snuff He asked if i needed a flashlight, I said no, he said there might be snakes I said yeah right, I get to the truck he yells snake I said whatever he says I'm not kidding come here, I go over and there he is with a rattler between his bare feet he had been pissing on it the whole time.

P.S He screams like a little girl

Last edited by hogghunter123; 05/14/10 01:06 PM.

If I'm not hunting, I'm hunting something to hunt.
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: hogghunter123] #1424021 05/14/10 01:04 PM
T
txhunter24 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
rofl clap

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: txhunter24] #1424255 05/14/10 02:58 PM
M
meathunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I went and checked the hog trap one morning and had three hogs in it that weighed about 120 lbs. each. Will my ten year old was with me and we went ahead and shot all three in the head with a .22 and drug them out of the trap and put them in the tractors front end loader. I told my son to put the gun up and to meet me at the skinning tree. Well on the weigh to the skinning tree I see a hog head appear above the top of the front end loader. Well we do not believe in leaving any survivors when it comes to hogs and I knew I had to take this one out. Well I get to the skinning tree and grab my pocket knife, about a six inch blade, and dump the hogs on the ground and junp off the tractor and grab hold of that hog and get him down. He then prceeds to wriggle free. He gets up and goes about 10 yards and turns around to try and get a piece of me. As he charges I jump straight up and over him and am in pursuit as he is now heading towards a fence. I get ahold of him, get him pinned again and stab him in the heart area multiple times and hold him down until he is not moving. At this point I get up and take step back. He then proceeds to get up and make a break for it. I pin him into a fence and pin him down and cut him from ear to ear. I again let hold him down until I thought he was done for good. He again gets up and rens into a cattle pen that is surrounded by hog panel. I close the gate and send my son to the house to get the gun. He returns with the gun and and shoots the gog in the head about five more times (.22) before he finally layed down and died. Me and my son laughed about that for a lone while. My ribs were sore for about a week from wrestling with that hog as he was pulling to get away.

Living Day by Day.
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: meathunter] #1424440 05/14/10 04:11 PM
J
jcathunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I've had a few run ins with bear while hunting hounds in Ca. and doing depredation work in the NW. Had one get me on the ground and whoop on me a bit but, surprisingly, he didn't do any damage at all.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: jcathunter] #1424460 05/14/10 04:17 PM
T
Texaswolf Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
My brother shot himself in the foot with a 9mm while we were hog hunting. I came up on him with the 4 wheeler about a min later. He was rolling around and screaming. Come to find out the bullet grazed his left 2nd toe. He was fine just in alot of pain. It scared the S&%$ out of me when he said he shot himself. Now he has a little groove on the side of his toe......:) that dumb A%%....

" If you dont know what your doing, it's best to do it quickly"....Jase Robertson
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Santamour123] #1424629 05/14/10 05:11 PM
M
meathunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
One time I was going hunting with a guy I worked with and was sitting in his livingroom waiting for him to change and grab his stuff. Anyways I am sitting in a recliner and he comes around the corner and tells me not to move, there was rattlesnake crawling out from underneath the chair. So I look over the side of the chair and sure enough there was a rattlesnake crawling out from underneath the chair. I told him to get me a knife and he came back with a butter knife and tossed it to me. I pinned the snakes head and sawed it off with the butter knife and problem was averted. He had small children so we spent the rest of the afternoon going through all their stuffed animals and missed the dove hunt.

Last edited by meathunter; 05/14/10 05:12 PM.

Living Day by Day.
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: meathunter] #1424704 05/14/10 05:33 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
This actually happened last Friday....
At Richland Chambers fishing when a cold front blows in and the wind picks up tremendously. Head back to the ramp. I get out and back the trailer up only to see my buddy(duece12) on the bank in the boat. Others try to help and nothing. We walk over to see what is going on and the boat is full of water. Those big waves came over the side of the boat and filled her up quick. We multiple beers later, we had 2 five gallon buckets and got enough water out to get the boat off the bank and use the trolling motor to get back to the trailer.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: meathunter] #1424814 05/14/10 06:11 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: meathunter
One time I was going hunting with a guy I worked with and was sitting in his livingroom waiting for him to change and grab his stuff. Anyways I am sitting in a recliner and he comes around the corner and tells me not to move, there was rattlesnake crawling out from underneath the chair. So I look over the side of the chair and sure enough there was a rattlesnake crawling out from underneath the chair. I told him to get me a knife and he came back with a butter knife and tossed it to me. I pinned the snakes head and sawed it off with the butter knife and problem was averted. He had small children so we spent the rest of the afternoon going through all their stuffed animals and missed the dove hunt.

In his living room???? How?

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: TxTechsan] #1424900 05/14/10 06:45 PM
M
meathunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
older house had some cracks under door and in floor

Living Day by Day.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index