Print Thread
New hunter looking for guidance #1395567 04/29/10 12:31 AM
S
scrouch13 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
I've recently moved to Texas (Clearlake area, near Houston) and was interested in finding a hunting lease in the area. I am from Georgia originally and have only been hunting a time or two with my brother there. I have a rifle and have spent a lot of time at the range with it, but haven't yet gotten to know anyone well enough who hunts and would be willing to help me out. I am mainly interested in hunting deer.

I'm hoping to find a lease for the next hunting season and figured I might as well go ahead and start looking early, so here I am.

If anyone could give any guidance as to what to look for in a hunting lease in terms of geography, foliage, price, etc it would be appreciated. I was hoping to find something within 3 or so hours of Houston that would be receptive to a novice hunter showing up. I don't want to feel like I'm getting in anyone's way, I just want to learn about hunting and have some fun.

Thanks.

Re: New hunter looking for guidance [Re: scrouch13] #1395872 04/29/10 03:01 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I think the best thing you can do as a starter is make friends with someone that's got some land and get them to show you the ropes. You'd hate to pay a couple thousand dollars to get a lease, shoot something that's outside the rules of takeable deer and get kicked off.

There are tons of great places to hunt within 3 hours of houston, but you'll have to keep in mind that the closer you stay to the biggest city in Texas, the higher the amount of competition there will be for leases nearby.

Some general descriptions of the various deer areas in Texas:

Hill Country - Tons of deer, typically smaller but can certainly be respectable.

East Texas/Piney Woods - Tremendous variation, depending on where you are. Tons of hogs, deer can be difficult to find due to density of cover. Can be problems with poaching, but not everywhere.

South Texas - Giant deer in areas with good native pasture. Deer population varies from very abundant to sparse, depending on water availability and forage.

Gulf Coast - If you can find something in Brazoria, Matagorda, or Fort Bend County, there are TONS of deer in certain parts, some of which are very big. Really tough to find leases due to proximity to Houston.

I10 & 290 corridors between Houston & SA or Houston & Austin - Pretty large deer population, but deer are typically pretty dang small. You can find some diamonds in the rough, but it can be tough. Tons of does though. Usually plenty of hogs too.

There is great hunting all over the State, but I tried to focus on the areas within 3 hours. 3 hours to the hill country is going to be tough, though you can get to Austin in that time.

Like I said, I'd do my best to make friends with other hunters and pick their brains.

Re: New hunter looking for guidance [Re: cameron00] #1395931 04/29/10 03:29 AM
C
ccbaseball Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I live in sugarland and wish i could help you out. We have land in weimar/schulenburg(1.5 hours from houston down I10) but dont have enough land to bring anymore people hunting then we already do. It is our land but my cousin/buddy come to shoot a doe and with my relatives that is enough hunting for 200 acres. Wish I could help, if you got any questions let me know. Maybe we can meet up at bass pro in pearland and we can shoot the crap, and you can ask me whatever u want about hunting/rules.

Re: New hunter looking for guidance [Re: ccbaseball] #1397414 04/29/10 09:38 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Welcome to the Lone Star-

Leases are tough to find. However, Texas does have some decent public hunting opportunities. There are drawings each year for various hunts in state parks and such. You can learn about that here:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/

You won't get drawn every year, but I did get drawn for a great hunt at Pedernales Falls last year.

Also, hunting is allowed in the National Forests North of Houston (Sam Houston, Angelina, etc). You can read about them here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/
hunting here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/hunting.shtml

Hunting can be tough, especially in the Sam Houston. Because it is close to Houston and free, it is covered up on the weekends. Try to go during the week, and try to do a bunch of scouting before bow season. Find an area that is off the beaten path or off some of the lesser traveled roads. Hike in in the dark further than others are willing to. A tree climber stand helps. And WEAR YOUR BLAZE ORANGE. There's a lot of non-cautious yayhoos out there.

Like others have said, getting to know folks is the best way to hear about leases/get invited on trips.

Good luck!

Last edited by TxAg; 04/29/10 09:45 PM.
Re: New hunter looking for guidance [Re: TxAg] #1397620 04/29/10 11:18 PM
T
TxBuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I would start out like I did hunting in East Texas, learn the ropes & how to hunt & skin your deer. You will make friends at any lease, some more friendly than others and the few you learn to stay away from right off the bat. Hunting in East Texas you will learn that deer just don't show up b/c the feeder went off. There were days I hunted and didn't even see a red bird!! Then make your move either south or central texas, its sad to say but money will decide where you will hunt next. If you get on a lease be very careful, don't get scammed go look at the property don't send a check or pay for it over the phone! Make sure your dealing with the landowner or leasing agent make em proof it!

Re: New hunter looking for guidance [Re: TxAg] #1397623 04/29/10 11:18 PM
T
TxBuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I would start out like I did hunting in East Texas, learn the ropes & how to hunt & skin your deer. You will make friends at any lease, some more friendly than others and the few you learn to stay away from right off the bat. Hunting in East Texas you will learn that deer just don't show up b/c the feeder went off. There were days I hunted and didn't even see a red bird!! Then make your move either south or central texas, its sad to say but money will decide where you will hunt next. If you get on a lease be very careful, don't get scammed go look at the property don't send a check or pay for it over the phone! Make sure your dealing with the landowner or leasing agent make em proof it!

Re: New hunter looking for guidance [Re: TxBuck] #1397869 04/30/10 01:43 AM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Welcome to Texas and the Forum! See if you can find a close lease this year, east texas or look around Leon County. Price will be affordable. I wish we were not full this year, I like to teach newcomers on our lease, most times it is easier than breaking bad habits from "seasoned" hunters. The people on this forum are good people and will give you good advise. You can PM me if you want on a waiting list for next year in southern Edwards County

Last edited by jim1961; 04/30/10 01:45 AM.
Re: New hunter looking for guidance [Re: jim1961] #1417618 05/11/10 05:04 AM
E
E.Whit Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
Always nice to see someone taking an interest in the outdoors. Man I live in East Tx and have about 250 ac of hardwoods and if you just need a place to come Hunt, Camp, or just hangout and shoot your gun at the ground critters hit me up. and Welcome to the Lone Star.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: New hunter looking for guidance [Re: E.Whit] #1417821 05/11/10 01:31 PM
C
ccbaseball Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
E whit sounds like ur guy if nothing else comes up....keep looking and take up any free offers you get so you can experience different areas, even if its just a doe hunt

Re: New hunter looking for guidance [Re: ccbaseball] #1433031 05/18/10 11:46 PM
S
scrouch13 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Just wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate their input.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide