Print Thread
700 SPS and DM #1402688 05/03/10 02:42 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Has anyone ever set their hands on one of the 700 SPS DM? Is it the same price as the 700 SPS ($550 at BPS)? Is it set up like the 700's w/ the magazine that has 2 sides to squeeze? I have an old 700 SSDM and love the magazine set-up. Just wondering if it is the same as the older ones or not?

I looked at the 700 SPS youth today in the .243 Win and I think that is the route I need to go for my son. I really prefer a magazine over a drop plate though. I remember when I got my first rifle it was a Ruger M77 and had a drop plate. I had shells going freakin' everywhere on my first hunt. I never had the need to load more than one since I was practicing at the range and I wasn't shown the correct way to unload it.

My plans are to buy the rifle and get 2 stocks for it in better quality. Possibly HS Precissions adult and youth stock configurations. I haven't researched the stocks yet, but will prior to buying the rifle.

Reason:
I've been researching a lot about this rifle and it seems that the stock is what makes it not quite as accurate as it can be. Read that they shot it w/ the factory 4.5lb pull and broke it in prior to testing w/o any modifications out of the box. The gun shot a little under 1 MOA out of the box w/ no adjustments. Then the HS Precission stock was installed and it shot under 1/2 MOA. This was with factory ammo.

So, I think this rifle will be very accurate for my son once I work up a bullet and load for it. More than likely a 80 or 90gr bullet. My bite the bullet and go w/ Barnes for this caliber if I can't find something else I like. $45/50 bullets makes the .243 Win expensive to shoot compared to my other calibers.

Sorry for the long post. frown

Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: Texas Proud] #1404518 05/04/10 01:48 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
i like my sps dm but if i had to spend that much i woulda just bought an adl like the wifes. i only spent like 50 more then hers was for it on guns america

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: luv2brode] #1404839 05/04/10 03:54 AM
T
Tactical_Smurf Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Yes they are of the same quality, and yes your right about the factory stock being flimsy to a point of accuracy robbing.

Only down side I see in your plan, is there are not many economical choices for drop out mags. There are options but your looking at the cost of the gun in a replacement stock easily. If you want to do the replacement stock go with a BDL and you can easily find a Bell&Carson stock that will give you accuracy improvements for around 220-250 depending on choice.

Certified Glock Armorer - Because my Sig Sauers Don't Fail.
"We are prepared to give all of our Tomorrows, for a single child's Today" - Kidnap Rescue Operator
Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: Tactical_Smurf] #1408943 05/06/10 02:32 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I'm not sure I follow what you've stated luv2brode. Are you implying that the ADL was better than the SPS? They no longer make the ADL and the reason for the SPS no in production. I want to buy him a "new" rifle. Not a good used one.

Psychosmurf: It's not that the stock is flimsy, but it has a pressure block that hinders the accuracy. I know some rifles shoot better w/ a pressure block and if they are removed and bedded sometimes it takes away from the accuracy. It is a gamble some folks are willing to try. I personally like to keep everything stock, but if the original stock has issues I don't like I'd rather take the gamble and try an aftermarket stock.

I haven't researched the stocks yet. Still need to decide for sure this is the right rifle for him. I personally would rather get him a .260 or a 7mm-08, but it seems Remington has dropped the .260 caliber in most of their models.

Any idea why the Remington site isn't working? I use to be able to check it out, but not I get an error on the page. Not sure if it is my putter or the actual site (haven't tried it yet today though).

Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: Texas Proud] #1409027 05/06/10 03:07 AM
TexasTransplant Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Don't be so quick to assume that pressure bedding is a problem. It's not something that ends up on a rifle by accident. It is something designed by engineers and implemented by technicians on purpose. Pressure bedding has been around for a long time. Far more damage to accuracy has been harmed by sanding them off than by leaving them alone, except where bedding was applied afterward. Most factory rifles shoot better when >not< fully floated with the exception of heavy barrels. However, there's no guarantee: even Remington's triangle barrel thing is pressure bedded.

She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.
Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: Texas Proud] #1409028 05/06/10 03:07 AM
S
scot Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
You can still get the ADL models at Academy on clearance for a very affordable price not sure on what calibers are available but Academy is centered down your way so you should have a number of options.

I think I'd take the .243 over the 7mm-08 a few more bullet choices with higher availability and often a bit cheaper. And most will agree nothing much more than a .243 is ever needed. Slightly softer recoil and great long range performance.

Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: TexasTransplant] #1409108 05/06/10 03:41 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TexasTransplant
Don't be so quick to assume that pressure bedding is a problem. It's not something that ends up on a rifle by accident. It is something designed by engineers and implemented by technicians on purpose. Pressure bedding has been around for a long time. Far more damage to accuracy has been harmed by sanding them off than by leaving them alone, except where bedding was applied afterward. Most factory rifles shoot better when >not< fully floated with the exception of heavy barrels. However, there's no guarantee: even Remington's triangle barrel thing is pressure bedded.

+1. I can usually find a loading solution to accuracy issues about 90% of the time on a new rifle (700's especially) before I start messing with the bedding.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: Texas Proud] #1409139 05/06/10 03:56 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Proud

So, I think this rifle will be very accurate for my son once I work up a bullet and load for it. More than likely a 80 or 90gr bullet. My bite the bullet and go w/ Barnes for this caliber if I can't find something else I like. $45/50 bullets makes the .243 Win expensive to shoot compared to my other calibers.

Have you considered trying the Sierra 80 (#1515), 85 (#1520) or 90 (#1535) grain bullets? Less expensive than the Barnes and they all have worked fantastic in two 700's I've loaded for.

Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: tth_40] #1409181 05/06/10 04:15 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: tth_40
Originally Posted By: TexasTransplant

+1. I can usually find a loading solution to accuracy issues about 90% of the time on a new rifle (700's especially) before I start messing with the bedding.

Not sure where this was directed? I also try to leave the rifle as original as possible.

Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: tth_40] #1409217 05/06/10 04:38 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: tth_40

Have you considered trying the Sierra 80 (#1515), 85 (#1520) or 90 (#1535) grain bullets? Less expensive than the Barnes and they all have worked fantastic in two 700's I've loaded for.

I owned a .243 Win along time ago and had used the Sierra Game King 100gr SPBT's. It grouped very good, but the terminal damage was minimal from what I remember. Unless, you hit a shoulder bone. The reason for thinking about a Barnes instead. I know the .243 Win was actually designed for varmints and can be used for deer size game as long as the distance isn't too far. I know my son won't be shooting over 125yds max for awhile.

I use the #1520 85gr Varminter bullet in my 6mm. It is ok, but I'm always concerned about the bullet not staying together long enough (shoulder shot). I don't think the #1535 FMJ would be a good choice for deer hunting.

I've also thought about the Hornady SP's. I've used them in my .243 along time ago, but my dad didn't like them and switched back to the Sierras. I think the Hornady SP is similar to the Varminter, but has a little thicker jacket.

I don't want anything too solid, but I also don't want a bullet that is too stout either.

Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: Texas Proud] #1409245 05/06/10 04:58 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Psychosmurf: It's not that the stock is flimsy, but it has a pressure block that hinders the accuracy. I know some rifles shoot better w/ a pressure block and if they are removed and bedded sometimes it takes away from the accuracy. It is a gamble some folks are willing to try. I personally like to keep everything stock, but if the original stock has issues I don't like I'd rather take the gamble and try an aftermarket stock.

I believe this is what was originally replied to. My reply was agreeing with what Texas Transplant had said. You and I seem to agree with keeping everything stock.

I'm going to have to try out the Hornady's as I haven't yet. Never had a problem with any one of those Sierras as far as terminal performance in the .243 Win. ..it's always been "BANG"..dead. Barnes makes a darned fine bullet..and they are price proud of them too. I have to admit that's what has kept me away from them.

Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: tth_40] #1409985 05/06/10 05:42 PM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
thanks scott yes i was referring to the adls at academy thats what i bout the wife, way more accurate than she is

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: Texas Proud] #1441916 05/24/10 02:32 AM
74bronco Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Ive been reloading 243 for 20. plus years. killed lots of deer and other but I shoot more then the average joe shot placement. is a must . guided youngins on ft. hood, lots of 243 lots of wounded deer. the 7mm will give a little le way and its is a very impressive killer 120gr over 100 any day... and 160 for those 50 yard pigs. bullet of chice is 140 139. 7mm-08 Remember 7x57 its the african caliber of choice for over 100 years. I could never get a 243 to shoot better then my 270 ? and the 7mm out shoots them all.

Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: 74bronco] #1454384 05/30/10 07:13 PM
C
clay breaker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
RE: Pressure bedding above. I bought an SPS in .308 and had it threaded just to have a light rifle to hunt pigs with a can on it. I did and do not like the stock, so just for fun I put a free floated Mcmillen from another 700 on it and tried it, and it was detrimental to its accuracy with and w/out the silencer on it. So there apparently has been a little thought put into the cheap stock at Remington. I was very surprised by this, I thought if I bolted a stock that cost at least twice what the whole gun did if would have to improve it, but that was not the case.

Re: 700 SPS and DM [Re: clay breaker] #1454683 05/30/10 11:51 PM
T
Texas Proud Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I think I just have came to the conclusion that I'm going to buy him a .270 Win and load it down using a 110gr bullet. I'm still up in the air on the manufacturer I want though. I just read about the Savage Edge and the trigger isn't adjustable and the authors was around 5 lbs. I can't shoot a 5 lb triger very well and couldn't expect my son to either. So, the Savage is still OUT.

I've also read about S&W buying T/C which I knoew that happened awhile ago, but they are bound and determined to make a good rifle and still think a T/C might be THE one.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide