Page 1 of 2 1 2
Whats the Wierdest thing......... #1391491 04/27/10 02:58 AM
T
TxDuck24 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
whats the wierdest thing thats ever happened to you before a duck hunting trip, before and after?

mine would have to be seeing a bluebill have a heart attack or something just before landing in my spread just died with no shot or anything....... or i have seen my dog just jump in the boat and lay there at home and sleep there for about 3 days straight

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
936-671-3407
Port O' Connor, Tx
www.rfguideservice.com
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: TxDuck24] #1391502 04/27/10 03:02 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I saw a guy tackle a duck that he threw down and thought was dead...pretty awesome

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: garrett] #1391525 04/27/10 03:08 AM
K
kellygunner Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I took someone......and my 100# dog was leaning on me and then my buddy thought that I was a tree and fell against me (260#..I'm being nice) all while I'm in water up over my bellybutton, not fun!!! I hope this person chimes in and gives his side of the story.

Kelly

Mossy oak prostaff
www.kentoutdoors.com/
I live in spokane washington but still guide in texas
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: kellygunner] #1391884 04/27/10 12:29 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
After..
On the drive home from a Ray Roberts hunt before it was Type II, having a blue goose come very much alive in my jeep while I was driving down I-35 in a one lane construction zone with no way to pull off. The Goose was trying to kill me. I stopped in the middle of the road, got in the back with it and duked it out. With the hiway blocked, people had actually gotten out of their cars looking in the windows of my jeep wondering what was going on. It was a spectacular battle!

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: Sniper John] #1391886 04/27/10 12:32 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
After..
On the drive home from a Ray Roberts hunt before it was Type II, having a blue goose come very much alive in my jeep while I was driving down I-35 in a one lane construction zone with no way to pull off. The Goose was trying to kill me. I stopped in the middle of the road, got in the back with it and duked it out. With the hiway blocked, people had actually gotten out of their cars looking in the windows of my jeep wondering what was going on. It was a spectacular battle!

worthless rofl

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: Jasb] #1391899 04/27/10 12:48 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I took a dump last year at about 3AM at a public spot. Had a good hunt, went to load up the gear at the truck afterwards, you know, standing around b/s'ing taking our time. Couldnt find the dog so I hollered "HERE" and here he comes out of the woods covered in something brown.

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: wlgorman] #1392081 04/27/10 02:17 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
SJ - that is HILARIOUS...reminds me of the 911 call with the deer smile

wlgorman - atleast it was your brown stuff and not one of your hunting buddies wink

I haven't been at it as long as most of you but the only one funny I can think of from last season right now was ducknbass took me to one of his holes. It was a pretty good morning and we killed some birds and decided it was time to pick up the deke's. Well I put in a nice new big chew and we walk out to pick them up. He and I are BS'ing and keeping our eyes on the sky and I just leaned over and spit...the first good big spit of a chew is normally the best one. He looked and me and said "Dude, did you just spit in your face mask?"

Well I darn sure did...we both laughed our *** off.

Last edited by Judd; 04/27/10 02:21 PM. Reason: added a story

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: Judd] #1392231 04/27/10 03:30 PM
D
Ducky-Style Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
My buddy and i was standing up one thick foggy morning behind some tall grass and a duck came flying in behind us straight into his back knocking him right out of the boat. rofl

[Linked Image]
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: Judd] #1392306 04/27/10 03:58 PM
W
WestexGators Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
We were in Saskatchewan 2 years ago and driving back from a morning hunt. About a mile or two from our field we turn on a section line road and see a goose in the ditch, its a little ross (we shot a bunch of mallards and a few canadas but didn’t have any white geese come near us). We stop and send the dog then she proudly brings it back. The bird had a broken wing, so my buddy wrings its neck and throws the goose on top of the bird pile in the back of the truck and off we go. I’m driving a Tundra with a camper shell and look in the rear mirror and see the ross standing on top of the dog crate just enjoying the ride. 20 minutes later we make it back to the cabin and lake we staying at and start to unpack and have forgotten about the bird by now. I pop open the top and let the tailgate down, then our new friend jumps to the ground between us of starts running like a chicken towards the cabin. He runs down the side of the cabin and hits the water. This is a huge lake and in midday and at night it can roost a ton of geese. Well after a few minutes he makes it several hundred yards to a large group of white geese roosting on the lake. Image the story he told the other birds about his day.

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: WestexGators] #1392674 04/27/10 07:45 PM
M
Mike S. Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Hunting with a buddy who also posts on a place that he had access to south of Dallas. We are sitting in the blind on the edge of this large tank and his lab, who was facing the water, inexplicably does an about face and makes this low quiet growl. As we turn around to see what got the crazy dog's attention we are face to face with a full grown free range OSTRICH!

Well he sees us and is as shocked as we are and turns to leave. The dog says, "Dad, that's the biggest duck I've ever seen; I'm gonna retrieve him for you for sure!" and takes off after the ostrich. (Now, begin playing that Benny Hill chase scene music in your head). So the ostrich takes off. The dog takes off after the Ostrich and both of us are yelling NNNOOOOOOOOOO! at the dog as it goes over the top of the hill and dissappears still on the chase. All's quiet. 20 seconds later the Ostrich appears again coming back up the hill coming right back at us with the dog still giving chase about 10 yards behind. Finally dog relents and comes back to the blind thinking that is the fastest duck I have ever seen Dad!

Coulda been ugly but wasnt - and it turned out OK and we shot a couple more ducks and never saw the Ostrich again.

Last edited by Mike S.; 04/27/10 07:46 PM.
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: Mike S.] #1392903 04/27/10 09:22 PM
K
Kobeer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
me and a buddy of mine where out picking up decoys the evening of the very last day of duck season and i had a flock of duck fly over so i took a shot and the cap that screws on to hold your barrel on had completly blown off when i shot and everything else in the choke tube flew with it. good thing it was the last day and last shot of the season. I did get the bird though!!!

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: Mike S.] #1392939 04/27/10 09:36 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Originally Posted By: Mike S.
20 seconds later the Ostrich appears again coming back up the hill coming right back at us with the dog still giving chase about 10 yards behind.

Should have shot that ostrich and made him your dinner grin

#sigline
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: #Hayraker] #1392966 04/27/10 09:53 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
had mud in the end of my barrel and shot looked like a mushroom.

On the way back my buddy wont stop ribbing me so I was going to mess with them I yanked the 25 merc to the right to scare them. Old wooden transom gave.........Luckily I had a good hand on the tiller I am chasing this Merc back and fourth saying someone un plug the gas someone un plug the gas. They were to busy laughing finaly someone came to the back, and helped me get that thing under control. Woulda been bad had we lost my buddys dads merc we borrowed. We were north about 200 yards north of the 2 mile bridge in big water. Woulda been lost forever.

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: ducknbass] #1393161 04/27/10 11:45 PM
Q
Qwaak Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
No no no.... Ok fine pretty much happened exactly that way kell thanks for the memory lol

"He thought about the rituals he'd abandoned and began to feel again the rhythm of the marsh, the ebbs and flow of something greater than himself."

www.killerchefs.com
facebook
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: Qwaak] #1393289 04/28/10 12:33 AM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
a friend of mine took his dog on a hunt. It's not a lab, it is some kind of little short legged long eared setter or something.

He was telling me about how good of a duck dog he was.

I had to retrieve the first two birds myself because the dog wanted nothing to do with the water.

The third bird fell in deep water and he finally convinced the dog to go by throwing a stick near the duck.

Dog swam out, got the duck, swam to the far bank, dropped the duck, took a leak, and swam back.

His dog turned a difficult retrieve for a person on foot, to an impossible retrieve. grin

#sigline
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: #Hayraker] #1393783 04/28/10 04:40 AM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Me and Charlie the Duck Dog had a herd of hogs walk within 10-15 yards of us and wouldn't spook when yelled at, and they even stuck around after I fired a shotgun blast in the air. bolt

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: kdub] #1393796 04/28/10 04:47 AM
C
callsbygoose Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
went out an broke in the newbie,
kept on falling asleep.so we loaded a blank filled with baby powder.the geese came an it looked like a muzzleloader went off.
i had tear's coming out of my eye's,lol
he never fell a sleep again.

an 2 this day he can look back at it an laugh along.at the time he was alittle upset.

but it's just a breaking in period i quess.

see-ya
steve

make'em---blow'em---an fold'em

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: ducknbass] #1394286 04/28/10 03:07 PM
W
WhiskeyandMe Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
"Northern Lights" in North TEXAS!

I've seen live ducks fall dead coming into the decoys, hawks grab geese and ducks out of the air, Deer get it on in the water while duck hunting, hunted in a hurricane and a tropical depression, had a pond completely freeze over while I was standing in a blind in the middle of it. Watched a blue northern blow in (in Hereford, TX) and watch the temp drop 30+ degrees in less than 30 minutes (with not a cloud in the sky), seen a bobwhite quail fly into an electric high wire and decapitate itself, saw a flock of cranes do the same thing took 9 of them out (easiest hunt ever, and they were partially cooked), watched a pack of coyotes sneak on a flock of geese feeding, saw a goose frozen to a pond still alive, lastly (I am sure there are more) watched a wood duck mis-judge a tree while buzzin' through them and crash...(now that was funny)

But the weirdest was the "NORTHERN LIGHTS"

J.J.

One morning several years back we were setting up on a pond at my lease near Paris, TX and about 30 minutes before daybreak, the sky went from pitch black to a "GLOWING" RED... eek2

The entire NORTHERN sky glowed for about 5-10 minutes (if that)

I will tell you this, several thoughts went through our mind, (nuclear bomb, meteor, etc)

Come to find out, that it was some atmospheric phenomenon that occurred...

Several others that were hunting that morning saw the same thing...

Very COOL, and VERY weird...

Weatherman said that the likely hood that any of us would see this again in North TEXAS is about ZERO!

Looking for a Deer, Dove, Duck, Crow, Goose, Hog, or Turkey Hunt? Check us out! www.kentoutdoors.com

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #1394568 04/28/10 04:33 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: WhiskeyandMe

I remember that! I wanna say 3 or 4 years back...

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: TxDuck24] #1394582 04/28/10 04:36 PM
M
meangreenfan Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
First post for me on here. Just recently found this site. smile

Not sure if this counts as wierd but it was entertaining.

One morning end up hunting with two guys I met as we were preparing to walk into public hunting land. After missing two ducks prior to shooting time they opened up and connected on two water turkeys. As one of them goes out to retrieve his 'duck' he picks it up, looks at me and says I don't think this is a duck. I just started laughing. One trip I will never forget.

I ended up calling it an early morning

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: LarryCopper] #1394622 04/28/10 04:47 PM
W
WhiskeyandMe Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

I remember that! I wanna say 3 or 4 years back...

That was truly some crazy stuff!!!!!

J.J.

Looking for a Deer, Dove, Duck, Crow, Goose, Hog, or Turkey Hunt? Check us out! www.kentoutdoors.com

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: LarryCopper] #1394630 04/28/10 04:50 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
The weirdest hunt overall I can remember was last year during the big freeze. It wasn't a single thing, but a bunch of little things that made it weird. I was hunting with a buddy on some property adjacent to the Red River on his uncle's place. We planned on hunting the river thinking all the ponds were locked up. Well, they weren't for some reason. The best pond had a perfect little open area. 5 dekes and we were set. I've never seen ducks drop right in like that. Not one fly by, circle, it was right in the hole. Weird in a good way!

Next thing, a heron landed on the dam not 15 yards from us. After a while my buddy knocked down a gray duck. When he went to get it, he got close to where the heron was and it sounded like all hell was breaking lose. It had gotten itself tangled up in weeds and ice and couldn't get out. I'll never forget the sight of my buddy with its neck in one hand and wings in the other trying to get it out without having his eyes poked out. When he got it lose, he looked at me and said "Ready?". Then let it go and said "PULL!" Just messin' around of course, but it was funny.

A little later we hammered a bald plate that came down dead as a stone. Broke up inch thick ice when he hit. Feathers flew everywhere. After 30 minutes he started trying to hold his head up. After an hour we started breaking our way through the ice to get him and he got up and started walking away! Do we shoot? He was way too close so we didn't. Well, 5 seconds later he got his second wind and took off never to be seen again. Neither of us were still loaded. confused2

So we head back to the main big pond and there were 200 ducks on it. Sweeeeet. All I needed was one for our limits and I wanted to wait out a greenhead. 5 minutes into it a bunch of hogs came up on us. Sounded like horses running off when they figured out we were there.

Then the kicker. A single greenhead came whizzing right over with the wind at his back pretty high up. I shoot a Carlson's mid range choke good to 45 yards so I decided what the heck. Ten foot lead and got him. Then he sailed with the wind behind him into the woods behind us. I marked him and went to find him. Looked and looked. Finally saw him stuck 30' up a 40' tree. Luckily there was a vine hanging down from the branch he was on. Played a little Tarzan and he dropped right down.

One of the most memorable hunts I've ever had...

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: WhiskeyandMe] #1394656 04/28/10 04:59 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
That was truly some crazy stuff!!!!!

J.J.

Yeah it was! The only other time I remember that kind of hopeless "I hope this ain't the end" feeling was when I was in high school. I graduated from Bay City, which isn't far from the STP nuclear plant. It had been online just a few months and one morning a gas well blew from the same direction as the plant. Windows rattled and the ground shook. All the neighbors were in their front yards in the PJs looking that direction wondering how long we had before the meltdown got us.

Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: LarryCopper] #1394901 04/28/10 06:45 PM
Q
Qwaak Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
On a super windy hunt we had mallards gallor dropping into the deeks we saw more green wing than we ever had but all we wanted was mallards i had a drake teal land next to where I was setting against a tree less than a foot my eyes were about to bug out I couldn't belive it just sat there peeping I could have grabbed it but why mess up a perfect two limits of mallard drakes.
And back when I deer and turkey hunted ( before I found duck hunting) I went deer hunting with a buddy and his uncle our tree stands were just old 2x4 s in the trees out on my buddys land his uncle fell asleep and was snoring we were trying not to laugh a small buck came into the clearing and my buddy figured with all the noise his uncle was making he should try and take it he fired his 270 and woke his uncle up ( falling out of the tree) after our initial holy £<}% are you ok we had to leave we were laughing so hard that dude will never live that down..

"He thought about the rituals he'd abandoned and began to feel again the rhythm of the marsh, the ebbs and flow of something greater than himself."

www.killerchefs.com
facebook
Re: Whats the Wierdest thing......... [Re: Qwaak] #1395335 04/28/10 10:05 PM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
After

Early Teal Hunt Sept 2005

Got pulled over by a State Trooper in Denton County for not wearing my seatbelt. Had a warrant for my arrest in Dallas from an unpaid traffice ticket from 2002 confused2 (recieved the citation on the way to the dentist to have a root canal- needless to say I was hopped up on vicadin and promptly threw the ticket in the glove box never to be seen again).

State trooper took me to Denton County jail while my brother and buddy drove off with our 1 lonely BWT we killed. Got to spend 5 hours in the holding tank until they could process me and then get bailed out. I was offered a joint rolled with toilet paper by one of the brotha's in jail with me.

I thought about how he snuck that weed in and politely told him I didn't smoke dope. Miserable 5 hours to say the least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide