Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: Big Tony] #1391308 04/27/10 01:52 AM
E
ETXbuckman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Anyone remember the spotted owl mantra from a few years back in Washington state: shoot, shovel and shut up. LOL

Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: Big Tony] #1391326 04/27/10 02:01 AM
T
Tex-Star Wildlife Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I just spoke to the Game Warden Captain who is stationed in Brownwood. He is unaware of a vehicle/bear collision in this area.

Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: ETXbuckman] #1391406 04/27/10 02:32 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: ETXbuckman
Anyone remember the spotted owl mantra from a few years back in Washington state: shoot, shovel and shut up. LOL

is that kind of like the red-cockaded woodpecker thing in Tx?

Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: Tex-Star Wildlife] #1391489 04/27/10 02:58 AM
Big Tony Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Tex-Star Wildlife
I just spoke to the Game Warden Captain who is stationed in Brownwood. He is unaware of a vehicle/bear collision in this area.

I called my Bud to verify the story. About the only thing I left out was that it was at night. He saw no T P & W vehicles around, just Highway Patrol. He told me it was somewhere around Owens. But he did mention that the Partolmen on the local was not touchin it. He said they kinda acted like they were waiting for someone. He said it was black, weighed about 350 lbs.or more. His head was kinda tucked under his body, but he could see the bottom of the snout, He said it was either a Bear or a Bigfoot. LOL

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: Big Tony] #1392338 04/27/10 04:17 PM
O
Oline Coach Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Bear are here to stay unless you want a fine out the tail,and no one can keep a secret.

God Bless Our Troops and Always Play To Win!!!
Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: HuntingTexas] #1392351 04/27/10 04:28 PM
L
llanite Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: llanite
There was one shot in Medina Co. last year. The guy was charged, never did hear about the outcome.

Originally Posted By: kk66
don't know if its the same one but there was one shot in menard county last year. here's the link to the article.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6743322.html\

Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
Here ya go
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6743322.html

Well, that was a strange story.

Yep, that was the one I was thinking about. I remember it because it's not that far from my deer lease (a couple counties away). Several years ago one of my hunters said he saw bear tracks down at the river, and while I was skeptical, I gave him the benefit of doubt since I knew he had previous bear encounters in Arkansas. Looks like he was right!

"We could say they spend like drunken sailors, but that would be unfair to drunken sailors, because the sailors are spending their own money." Ronald Reagan
Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #1392365 04/27/10 04:36 PM
L
llanite Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted By: llanite
There was one shot in Medina Co. last year. The guy was charged, never did hear about the outcome.

I didn't hear about that but I'll assure you if he didn't have claw scratch marks down his back or a tooth broke off in his azz, he's going to be paying at least what a very nice 4X4 CC diesel cost new for that mistake! I'll text my GW buddy to see if he knows anything about this.

I spoke to my compadre yeterday and he said he had not heard anything about a case involving a shot bear so that makes me think it probably didn't happen. I would think that every GW in the State would know about something like that. Of course if the case is still pending they could be very tight lipped about it until it is settled. If you find any information on it, please post it.

See my last post above ^^^^
From the article:
Quote:
But bears in Texas have recently been on the move, staging an unprecedented return to regions such as the Edwards Plateau, Piney Woods and South Texas Plains, according to Nathan Garner, a biologist with Texas Parks and Wildlife.

snip
Instead, investigators confiscated the head and paws as evidence and hauled Hernandez to the Menard County Jail.

Hernandez was charged with possession of threatened species parts and fined $500.

And when Menard County Attorney Ben Neel declined to prosecute Schiel for shooting the bear, the state slapped Hernandez with a fine of nearly $10,000 in restitution for the dead animal.

"We could say they spend like drunken sailors, but that would be unfair to drunken sailors, because the sailors are spending their own money." Ronald Reagan
Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: Big Tony] #1392537 04/27/10 06:05 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted By: Big Tony
No. I was shocked when he told me. He pulled over and went to look at it. The Patrolman was tryin to cover it up with a tarp so people would quit stoppin to get out and look. LOL

Now that is friggin funny! He was covering it with a tarp so that people would quit stoppin to get out and look at it!!! Very possibly a better thing to have tried would have been to simply drag it's toothy arsh off the highway and that way traffic could resume flowing at its normal pace and most likely nobody would have noticed it had he parked his patrol car at an angle with the beast behind it.

Let's see. I'm going to cover the bear's dead arsh with a yellow tarp that is used to cover body's after a terrible accident or whatever and that should make the public stop slowing down to rubber neck! LOL

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #1392668 04/27/10 07:42 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Haven't heard of too many Black Bears eating livestock in New Braunfels or the San Antonio area lately. Sure, I do agree that each landowner has a right to protect their property, but unless you can truly document that particular Endangered Species (Black Bears in Texas are NOT a predator, coyotes, bobcats & mt. lions are) is the one doing the damage/destruction to their property, be ready to answer to the USFWS.

Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: kyotee1] #1392846 04/27/10 08:56 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted By: kyotee1
Haven't heard of too many Black Bears eating livestock in New Braunfels or the San Antonio area lately. Sure, I do agree that each landowner has a right to protect their property, but unless you can truly document that particular Endangered Species (Black Bears in Texas are NOT a predator, coyotes, bobcats & mt. lions are) is the one doing the damage/destruction to their property, be ready to answer to the USFWS.

I don't ever remember saying there was a problem with any black bears eating livestock anywhere in this State. What I did say in my post was I believe that landowners STILL OWN their property and if they have an animal that is causing destruction of property and or killing livestock then they should have the right to get rid of it! What I should not have said in my post was lumping the TP&W with the antis. That I regret and retract. However, I do believe if a bear was to move into a ranch that raised sheep and or goats and developed a taste for tender kid goat meat, it could easily devastate a herd and cost a landowner umpteen thousands of dollars! Furthermore, if you think I would ever support the killing a black bear, or any other protected animal for that matter just for the pure 'sport' of it in this state or anywhere else, you are sadly mistaken! I do not break any game laws and wouldn't reccomend it to anyone else either! I have two very close friends that are game wardens and I would waste a single second turning in anybody that I saw breaking the law!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Texas Bear Hunting? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #1393847 04/28/10 05:49 AM
C
cory_cooper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
When the bear pop started to become reestablished in michigan, right around the time they started the lottery draw for bear tags, the dnr enlisted civilan "bear rangers" that where called in to kill any problem bears reported. the only downside was the rangers had all the "tasty" bear meat they could want

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide