Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,877
Posts9,742,506
Members87,123
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. #1352141 04/07/10 10:51 AM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I have a Chocolate lab that loves to retrieve and does great in her training. However, She is scared of every loud noise that goes on inside and outside the house. She wants to tuck her tail and run every time a gate slams, I drop something in the house, or I shoot any type of gun around her. How do I at least get her used to me shooting around her?

Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: Shortysboy09] #1352198 04/07/10 12:03 PM
T
TDH09 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
By no means a pro trainer but here is how I conditioned my dog.

Start with her food. Every time I was about to feed my pup, I would make loud noises. I feed in our utility room so I would bang on the dryer. You can clap or bang a couple of metal bowls together. If you feed once a day, I would switch up to twice a day and repeat the process. Soon she will associate the loud noise with a positive event. Afterward you can start having someone shoot a starter pistol from a distance while she is eating and overtime move closer and closer until you are right next to her.

Most important thing to remember is not to be in a rush. Take your time and move at her pace. My $.02 for what it's worth. Good luck.

Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: TDH09] #1352261 04/07/10 12:57 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Thank you for the reply...

She is a very good dog and easily trained dog. This problem has been a huge hurdle that I couldn't get over without some help. I will start on your suggestions this evening.

Last edited by Shortysboy09; 04/07/10 12:57 PM.
Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: Shortysboy09] #1352421 04/07/10 02:26 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
took my pup out to some land and had my daughter about 250 yards away, she would shoot her 20 ga. and I would toss a duck feather and play and praise the pup for a few min... then we would move about 25 yards closer and repeat the process it worked great

Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: nogeese] #1352436 04/07/10 02:31 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Take it back to who you got it from, and get a Black dog.....
Just kidding, TDH09 has some good info there.

Mud Shark

Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: Mud Shark] #1354016 04/08/10 01:51 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: TG37
Take it back to who you got it from, and get a Black dog.....
Just kidding, TDH09 has some good info there.

Cute. I was thinking the same thing. lol... But seriously, the advice about taking it slow and incrementally while there is a very positive distraction going on, is spot-on. Good luck!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1354101 04/08/10 02:20 AM
R
rdh1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
The way I did it was have the dog sit and fire a shot and then give him a treat. I used treats to teach him the other comandes. It did not take long before he could not wait to hear the gun.

Zeva,Buck & Sandy
[Linked Image]
Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: TDH09] #1355080 04/08/10 04:19 PM
S
Shortysboy09 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: TDH09
Every time I was about to feed my pup, I would make loud noises. I feed in our utility room so I would bang on the dryer. You can clap or bang a couple of metal bowls together.

Tried this at feeding time this morning for the first time. She looked at me like I was crazy making all the noise. Hopefully this will start to help. I will be taking her to my deer lease this weekend and trying the shooting from a distance and moving closer. Should I be holding her on her lead or just make her sit beside me unrestrained when I do this?

Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: Shortysboy09] #1355121 04/08/10 04:34 PM
G
Gummi Bear Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Keep her on a leash, the leash 'tethers' her to you (a safety/security thing). Remain calm, and talk soothingly, even if she's acting like a retard and trying to run off or anything else. You don't want to associate anything with anger during this exercise. As confidence grows, take off the leash. Use your best judgement for when that time is appropriate.

Growing up, we always had bird dogs, and used the loud noise during feeding technique.

A few shots from a starter pistol while they chowed down, and they lost their fear pretty quickly. You can get a starter pistol at many sporting goods stores, or online.

Last edited by Gummi Bear; 04/08/10 04:36 PM.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...”

Henry David Thoreau
Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: TDH09] #1355235 04/08/10 05:35 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: TDH09
By no means a pro trainer but here is how I conditioned my dog.

Start with her food. Every time I was about to feed my pup, I would make loud noises. I feed in our utility room so I would bang on the dryer. You can clap or bang a couple of metal bowls together. If you feed once a day, I would switch up to twice a day and repeat the process. Soon she will associate the loud noise with a positive event. Afterward you can start having someone shoot a starter pistol from a distance while she is eating and overtime move closer and closer until you are right next to her.

Most important thing to remember is not to be in a rush. Take your time and move at her pace. My $.02 for what it's worth. Good luck.

Good advice and this was the exact plan of attack that I used. up I did however scare a few neighbors. bolt

Last edited by Gdogg; 04/08/10 05:35 PM.
Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: Gdogg] #1356141 04/09/10 12:24 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have never been a fan of loud noises while eating, espeically if your dog is not a big eater. If my dog hears a loud strange noise, she jumps as well. But if she hears a gunfire, head pops up, and she is looking to mark. So it only makes sense to me to train the dog in that fashion, so they associate gun fire with retrieves.

So why not associate gun fire (and the smell of gunpowder) with retrieves? As said above, slowly introduce is the key always:

1) Start with cap gun, throw retrieve, send dog, when dog is 20 yards out, fire cap gun. The dog will not even hear it from this distance, so you will be safe. Next retrieve, make it 15 yards, dog probably still will not hear it. Keep doing this process, maybe spread over days to be safe, until dog is right by your side, you send dog and fire and dog is ok. Watch the dog carefully, at anytime dog seems to jump/flinch from the gun fire, you are going too fast.

2) Do the whole process above with blank gun, 209 Primer Pistol (not as loud as 22 blank gun).

3) Do the whole process above with shotgun, blanks.

Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: Guy] #1364108 04/13/10 03:07 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Guy
I have never been a fan of loud noises while eating, espeically if your dog is not a big eater. If my dog hears a loud strange noise, she jumps as well. But if she hears a gunfire, head pops up, and she is looking to mark. So it only makes sense to me to train the dog in that fashion, so they associate gun fire with retrieves.

So why not associate gun fire (and the smell of gunpowder) with retrieves? As said above, slowly introduce is the key always:

1) Start with cap gun, throw retrieve, send dog, when dog is 20 yards out, fire cap gun. The dog will not even hear it from this distance, so you will be safe. Next retrieve, make it 15 yards, dog probably still will not hear it. Keep doing this process, maybe spread over days to be safe, until dog is right by your side, you send dog and fire and dog is ok. Watch the dog carefully, at anytime dog seems to jump/flinch from the gun fire, you are going too fast.

2) Do the whole process above with blank gun, 209 Primer Pistol (not as loud as 22 blank gun).

You learn well Grasshopper!!!

The key is to introduce the noise when the dog is focussed on the pleasure of going after the bumper. The other key is SLOW

Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: wal1809] #1364437 04/13/10 05:40 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: WAL1809

The key is to introduce the noise when the dog is focussed on the pleasure of going after the bumper. The other key is SLOW

This is good and very much like what my post was getting at when it said 'while a positive distraction is going on.' HOWEVER, THERE IS ONE CAUTION... This method works great on a dog that has not already displayed an adverse reaction to gunfire. However, when the dog is already gun-shy, it may associate the loud noise with a correction (negative reinforcement, since in the dog's mind, the noise is negative) and it could back-fire if the dog associates the negative reinforcement with the retrieve. Then you would have TWO problems to fix... gun-shy AND unwilling to retrieve or unsure about retrieving.

Here is another method for a gun-shy dog:

Do you have a friend who has a dog that retrieves? One good method is to have your dog WATCH another dog working... from a 'safe' distance, pup sees the other dog's release associated with gunfire and makes the connection. Since your dog will be restrained from making the retrieve and chomping at the bit to go, there will be a positive distraction and the gunfire becomes inconsequential. Wait til your dog can hardly stand it, then let him make the retrieve. Have your friend fire the gun from the same location it had been firing and with the same timing (about the peak of the arc when the dummy is tossed), as it had been. In pup's mind, nothing changes other than that HE gets to make the retrieve. Now he knows gunfire=retrieve. Build from there. Good luck!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: wal1809] #1370970 04/16/10 02:38 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: WAL1809

Thanks master! grin up cheers

Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: Guy] #1372963 04/17/10 12:17 AM
E
Ern3st Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E

best advice.
My GSP flips a lid when i drop a pan in the kitchen. its a different sound. If we're out in the field and im shooting hes fine.

I know people that have started out with a cap gun, and then worked their way up the calibers with an older dog that was skittish.

Re: How to get Chocolate lab to not be scared of loud noises. [Re: Ern3st] #1379404 04/20/10 04:57 PM
W
waterlandkennels Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W

i have agree with snakebreaker, make sure the negetive vive is not with the retrieve and if the dog acts all weird do not reinforce it by petting her and telling her how sweet she is. Act like it is no big deal ingnore the sound and tell her to sit and if she moves tell with the sound tell her no and again say sit. Do not get mad or lose your temper. Do not startel, WARN HER FIRST BEFORE THE NOISE,by saying mark or something else.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide