Page 1 of 2 1 2
What do you pack in your vest? #1339223 03/31/10 01:29 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I'm still new at this and I'm getting my arsenal of calls together. Was wondering what calls everyone packed out in the field. I've got a lot of stuff, but not sure what is worth packing in my vest and what I should leave at camp. I have a long list of gadget calls cuz I like trying out different methods, but so far I've only use a few in the field.

My list :
Turkey gobbler (one of those black rubber baffle things)
Crow call
Owl call (can't use it for squat)
Lil Giant slate call
HS Strut Glass slate (can't make noise. Needs scuffed more)
Knight & Hale Wet Willy box call
An assortment of diaphrams (I am just OK on the easy ones)
Push box (just got it mostly for purring calls)
Fighting purr box (just got this one too)

Also have turkey calls on a foxpro, but for turkey I think that would take a lot of the fun out of it...

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Scoop] #1339346 03/31/10 02:05 AM
B
billy gordon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
slate call,knife,snack,drink,smokes,rope,ammo,two way radio.In fanny pack.

Billy Gordon
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: billy gordon] #1340004 03/31/10 01:00 PM
S
Strut Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Scoop, from the way I have seen you sling that gobble tube around, you better have a spare! I had a great time hunting over the weekend on your place.Maybe the birds will be more cooperative next time.

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Strut] #1340146 03/31/10 02:16 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I have an electronic call (don't shoot me but it works well in the rain we had last day of the season), Slate, pushbutton, this year I got a box call. I have not mastered mouth calls, very high pallet so I cannot make a sound except for gaging.

Old Soldier
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1340350 03/31/10 04:19 PM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
an arsenal of mouth call's to sound like different bird's. If he doesn't answer and you know he's there like in a roosted situation, call to him if no answer move a little way's down and change call's and circle the bird til you find the one he likes and then stick with it! To locate them going to the roost or when they are already on the roost at night I howl like a coyote super loud boooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww oowww oowww oowwwwwwwwwwwwwww 99% of the time they will gobble then I get outta there. Note do not try this call close to the roost back out away from a known roost and hit it once then leave once you know what roost they are in. Owl call before daylight I don't carry one I just do it with my mouth ooooo ooooo uh oooooooooooooooooo waaa waaa waaa uh oooooooo deep and loud and sound like an owl. Crow call after daylight early mornin' can't mimmick that one lol. Hawk screamer late mornin' yup i mimmick that one with a loud drawn out whistle ( note ya' gotta be able to whistle loud and sound like a hawk) and rest of day or just random hen yelp's runnin' and gunnin' til you spark interest and get a gobble with whatever call they wanna hear at the time. Also note just cause he ain't gobblin' doesn't mean he ain't comin'! Biggest mistake turkey hunter's make are when you know he's comin' and the gobble's are gettin' closer stay put and still. He is watching for any movement and he is being cautious but he is most likely there! Gotta get in their head sometimes and thinkin' like a turkey will def. kill more bird's. Think about what he does on a daily basis! Wake up drink strut feed go to the wood's scratch then feed then strut then roost. Now at what times he is doing that is all up to him! Hope this help's ya' a little. I am thinkin' about doin' an instructional turkey callin' video I will let ya' know if I do and send ya' the link!

Guide's Life
Elusive Wildlife Technologies
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: KeithTT] #1340516 03/31/10 05:31 PM
B
BirdRanger Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
One of the biggest thing not mentioned is good ole fashioned TP ya never know when ya got to go. I also carry an airhorn, get them at dollar store for a buck, cause soon these birds are gonna here good bad and ugly locator calls but not hardly an airhorn works great for a shock goggle reaction.

I have an arsenal of all of the above plus first aide kit and water.

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: BirdRanger] #1340545 03/31/10 05:45 PM
C
ccvidimos Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: BirdRanger
One of the biggest thing not mentioned is good ole fashioned TP ya never know when ya got to go. I also carry an airhorn, get them at dollar store for a buck, cause soon these birds are gonna here good bad and ugly locator calls but not hardly an airhorn works great for a shock goggle reaction.

X2. along with my pot call and crow call

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Strut] #1341194 03/31/10 10:23 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Strut
Scoop, from the way I have seen you sling that gobble tube around, you better have a spare! I had a great time hunting over the weekend on your place.Maybe the birds will be more cooperative next time.

Yeah, when I sling it in two I'll be getting another. Kinda like that one, but probably best not to use it if other hunters may be around that think i'm fair game...

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Scoop] #1342441 04/01/10 04:49 PM
C
ccvidimos Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
the two back to back helped us know though. i almost bought one the other day. finally get my dekes too. can't wait for saturday

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: BirdRanger] #1342537 04/01/10 05:44 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: BirdRanger

Amen, I am using a baby wipe type product without scent. WORKS

Old Soldier
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1342616 04/01/10 06:11 PM
S
Smiling Mallard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
1. Calls: 2-box, 1-glass, 1-slate, 1-push pin, 5-mouth calls, Crow call, hawk call, air horn (thought I was the only one to do that! LOL).
2. Snack - Power bar.
3. Water.
4. Baby Wipes.
5. Sun screen stick.
6. Sting Kill.
7. Insect repelent.
8. Blackberry (work doesn't stop just because I'm in the field) and GPS (I am a hard core run and gunner and on our 5,000 acres we can hunt I won't begin to pretend like I know it all. Two years ago I got on a bird that was answering my calls but was with a big group of hens that were high tailing it. I ended up killing that bird 2.5 miles from where I started and in an area of the ranch I had honestly never seen before.
9. Cheap thin Camo Pancho. Can't tell you how many times I've got caught by a thunderstorm a long way from the fourwheeler or the cabin.
10. Megan Fox inflatable synthetic person. Well.....you gotta have something to do if the birds just completely aren't cooperating. Hummm...... better go pack her now before I hit the road to the lease. grin

Last edited by Smiling Mallard; 04/01/10 06:32 PM.

"Call 'em up close and shoot 'em in the face"
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Smiling Mallard] #1342686 04/01/10 06:36 PM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
lmao smiling mallard! Guess the turkey's aren't the only one hitting the breeding cycle this time of year. bahahahaha

Guide's Life
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Scoop] #1342691 04/01/10 06:37 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Leave that gobble tube, crow call, and owl hooter in camp.

I carry two slates, a mouth call, a piece of cammo burlap, a 3 legged stool and a hen decoy, pluse a few snacks and drinks.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1342735 04/01/10 07:03 PM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Totally disagree on that one! Killed 3 bird's last year with the gobble tube! When turkey's are in the pre-rut you will see them in field's fighting and establishing breeding dominance! (video'd it this last youth weekend actually) When they are not hot enough to breed yet they will look right over the hen call but when you shake that gobble tube at this time of the year they come in and the fight is on! B-mobile took a whoopin' last year cause of that gobble tube! Crow call not too important. Owl hoot I do use cuz if you can locate em' before the sun comes up it is way easier to sneak around into position before the sun comes up versus the bird's having a tower view of you runnin' around below them!

Guide's Life
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: KeithTT] #1342737 04/01/10 07:03 PM
S
Smiling Mallard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Yep....52 years and still in a constant and perpetual state of "On" in the breeding cycle!

Hey before I got the the new Megan Fox model I had the old Featherflex Pamela Anderson model. On a really windy day I was float calling down all the ranch roads hitting the glass call and had a bird hammer back really close and in my haste I accidently threw old Pam out instead of my hen deke. Big Old bird came around the corner all spittin and drummin only to see fake Pam sprawled out there flappin in the wind....Never seen a bird bug out so fast. grin Man, will Saturday ever get here????

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Smiling Mallard] #1342741 04/01/10 07:07 PM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
lmfao. Guess that ole' tom could tell everything on the Pam was fake! hahaha. I dunno after callin' all them bird's up during the youth weekend and me not being able to kill em' deadb - I'm bustin at the gut! I wonder if I leave now and just head on up there will it pass the time any faster! lol I don't think it will but what I do know is that those wise county bird's are in a whole crap load of trouble!

Guide's Life
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: KeithTT] #1342743 04/01/10 07:07 PM
S
Smiling Mallard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: KeithTT
Totally disagree on that one! Killed 3 bird's last year with the gobble tube! When turkey's are in the pre-rut you will see them in field's fighting and establishing breeding dominance! (video'd it this last youth weekend actually) When they are not hot enough to breed yet they will look right over the hen call but when you shake that gobble tube at this time of the year they come in and the fight is on! B-mobile took a whoopin' last year cause of that gobble tube! Crow call not too important. Owl hoot I do use cuz if you can locate em' before the sun comes up it is way easier to sneak around into position before the sun comes up versus the bird's having a tower view of you runnin' around below them!

Have never used a gobble tube but using basically the same tactic (fighting) I've used a slate or glass and mouth call at the same time and just gone nuts with aggressive fighting purrs and drove them absolutely nuts and had them running in when nothing else would. Like you said, the times that's worked for me was early season.

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: KeithTT] #1342770 04/01/10 07:21 PM
S
Smiling Mallard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: KeithTT
lmfao. Guess that ole' tom could tell everything on the Pam was fake! hahaha. I dunno after callin' all them bird's up during the youth weekend and me not being able to kill em' deadb - I'm bustin at the gut! I wonder if I leave now and just head on up there will it pass the time any faster! lol I don't think it will but what I do know is that those wise county bird's are in a whole crap load of trouble!

I really liked the Pamela Anderson model.....I just didn't have a big enough striker. shocked

10-4 on the Wise County birds. The Brown & Commanche County birds better duck cause the 5's are fixing to fly. Good luck this weekend!

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Smiling Mallard] #1342778 04/01/10 07:25 PM
P
preston629 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I may have to get me a gobble tube. I pack all my calls, gloves, face mask thing, water, I guess that's really it.

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Smiling Mallard] #1342780 04/01/10 07:26 PM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
The 5's are gonna fly in wise for sure! Good luck to ya'll too! Gotcha on the striker ya' killin' me here!

Guide's Life
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: KeithTT] #1342808 04/01/10 07:41 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
For shock gobbles I just slam the truck door... seems to work pretty well.

I pretty much know where all the roost trees are so I don't have to do much locating.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1342817 04/01/10 07:46 PM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
lol I have def. had quite a few of em' gobble at the truck door train' or airplanes alway's seem to work well!

Guide's Life
Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: preston629] #1342828 04/01/10 07:51 PM
S
Smiling Mallard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: preston629
I may have to get me a gobble tube. I pack all my calls, gloves, face mask thing, water, I guess that's really it.

Hey Preston.....If you carry a box call just get a rubber band that fits loosely around the box and paddle. Be sure that it doesn't fit tight but give it a little bit of play where the paddle can move a little. Grab the end of the box away from the paddle handle, the paddle is facing away from you...hold level and shake firmly side to side while keeping the box level. Bingo Old mans gobble maker. Ok not perfect but they dang sure will answer it. Hey Preston...what's a "Face mask thing"??? For some reason reading this, instead of a nice mesh face mask I picutred some Silence of the Lambs kind of " face mask Thing" LOL. Kill 'em all!

Post 'em up Keith. I've been watching some your Team Tejas clips to get in the proper "Head floppin" mode. Good stuff. up

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1342839 04/01/10 07:59 PM
S
Smiling Mallard Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
For shock gobbles I just slam the truck door... seems to work pretty well.

I pretty much know where all the roost trees are so I don't have to do much locating.

Ditto on Truck doors, Windmills clanging, planes, trains, Air horn is great, but.....the absolute best for shock gobbling......THUNDER. HFS I don't think there is a gobbler alive that can NOT gobble at it! I've been out running every call known to man with little results and then BOOM a big clap of thunder and birds are sounding off all around me!

Hey, keep this thread going and before we know it, it will be time to head to the lease!

Re: What do you pack in your vest? [Re: Smiling Mallard] #1342864 04/01/10 08:16 PM
P
preston629 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Haha no one of those tight camo mesh mask thingamabobbers

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide