Print Thread
new stand area #1330241 03/25/10 05:49 PM
R
RDub Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
Looking at a new stand location. It will be on top of a ravean that is full of white oak trees. I'm going to set my stand or blind up on either on top of the hill looking down toward the fence line where they are crossing under the fence, or actually move to the middle of the revean where they are travelling. My questions are, can I just throw some seed in that area and get some good food plots going or would it be best to just throw out corn from time to time? Also, while I'm cleaning and preparing this area, do I need to worry about being scent free? Will clearing this area out effect the deer negatively to where their paths may change?

Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.--SPR[image]

Re: new stand area [Re: RDub] #1330626 03/25/10 09:10 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I would plant away from the fence line, not too close and pick yourself up a hard rake, some fertilizer and some easy plot, throw-&-grow or no plow! Rake the top of the soil, spread seed fairly thick, pack down by lightly walking over it then apply the fertilizer! As far as corn goes you can hand throw some out before hunting there or utilize a feeder! Try not to disturb the fence line area where they are crossing. If at all possible I would set your stand to oversee the fence line as deer love fence lines and tree lines and sit and watch the deer after you put out your seed to see how they respond to it, just scouting! I used Easy Plot and Throw-&-Grow at my spot and it is doing really great and the deer seem to like it! Also pick up a couple of Trophy Rock mineral rocks from Gander Mountain, Cabelas, etc.. Put one at each end of your shooting Kane near the fence line, say maybe 30' feet away and see if that cathes their attention!!!

You Only Fail If You Never Try!!!
Re: new stand area [Re: deerslayer78] #1330634 03/25/10 09:15 PM
D
deerslayer78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Oh, pick up some skunk scent and apply it around your stand and on the lower heel and toe of your boots! Apply using latex/rubber gloves or your hands will stink to high heaven, lol! Skunk scent is the ultimate cover scent and may be the last scent you ever buy!!!

You Only Fail If You Never Try!!!
Re: new stand area [Re: deerslayer78] #1331671 03/26/10 10:34 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Hunt down wind looking South if possible. 90% of the time, the wind is going to be from the South and you don't want the sun in your eyes.

Planting anything makes a lot of assumptions based on that specific soil and rainfall. If you own the land, you can do as you please. If you are leasing, you had better discuss it with the land owner prior to tearing up land or dumping chemicals. If cows are present, you may be wasting time and/or money. Regarding fertilizer, some land is naturally fertile and crops will burn up if fertilized. Others need liming and fertilizing. If you send a soil sample to TAMU, they will do analysis to tell you what the land does or doesn't need. GENERALLY, livestock and wildlife will gravitate to the area where a crop is higher in protein.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: new stand area [Re: Dave Davidson] #1331774 03/26/10 12:58 PM
R
RDub Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
deerslayer, can I pick that throw and grow up at Gander Mountain? The new area, has a lot of red clay and rocks, so I may need to throw out some good top soil or bag soil first. I would hate to spend all that time raking up that hard soil for nothing. I'm hoping this season will be much better than last year. I hunted on the west side of our property, and didn't see but 2 does and one 4 point. That side is prime for rifle hunting, but this spot will be right next to our neighbors property, so this is going to be my bow hunting stand. I may post some picks on here to see what you guys think a good stand placement will be. I'll most likely be using either a climber or ladder stand this year. Again, first time user of these. I usually hunt in home made built tree stands. Thanks for your advice.

Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.--SPR[image]

Re: new stand area [Re: RDub] #1331903 03/26/10 02:09 PM
E
ETXbuckman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
I personally wouldn't clear out too much underbrush in the area, especially if you're going to be hunting in fairly close quarters anyway. Its been my experience, at least in east TX, that doing too much work/brush clearing can cause the deer to avoid the area altogether.

Re: new stand area [Re: RDub] #1332180 03/26/10 04:27 PM
O
OLDNAVY Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I have always found it best to change an area as little as possible, if there are already deer present. Assuming deer are using the fence line and ravine as their "highway", you shouldn't have to change anything. What you might want to consider is a method of slowing them down as they pass through. This can be done by spreading corn on the ground, placing a few mineral/protein blocks on the ground, or even something as simple as hanging some apples from the trees. Deer, like all other wildlife, are very familiar with their territory and use certain routes because they feel safe. If you change them too much, the deer notice and could find another route.

Re: new stand area [Re: OLDNAVY] #1332225 03/26/10 05:03 PM
R
RDub Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
so would it be best to maybe put the foot plot on the slope of the ravine instead? Maybe get them feeding on the edge of the slope. I don't want to do anything as far as cleaning out anything, because it a ravine. Good water source after it rains and plenty of acorns from the white oaks. East TX hunting is so tricky lol.

Re: new stand area [Re: RDub] #1334359 03/28/10 03:50 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Another thing to consider is if you plant within sight of the fence, the neighbor hunters will also be attracted to your food plot, and blinds could spring up along that fenceline at those favored crossings.

Might be a better strategy to plant your food plot at the old stand sight, but hunt the new stand sight where the crossings are.

You will keep some of the deer on your side, and you will be hunting the travel route they take to get to your food plot.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide