Print Thread
Room to run in Houston? #1297731 03/10/10 02:49 AM
S
sweptvolume Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Well, not "run" per se, but some place away from other dogs and people, possibly around some water, that I can get the dogs off the leash and work them on bumpers? Not owning any land and living close to town (along with being new to the area) leaves me unsure about where I can take the labs and get some one-on-one time.
I'm on the northwest side of town, if anyone has some idears?
confused

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: sweptvolume] #1298093 03/10/10 04:28 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
where in NW?

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: MS1454] #1298560 03/10/10 02:36 PM
C
CSF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
There was an offer on here a few weeks back to meet at Waterland Kennels in Waller (maybe wrong on the Kennel) on weekends. Sorry, couldn't find the original thread and don't know if the offer is still available.

Another option you may try is find an area near an industrial park. Some have open areas where your dogs can run and may even have some game...hard to find water in these places though. Go after work hours, just make sure you have control of your dogs so that they don't run off onto busy streets.

I sometimes run my dog on some green spaces around the industrial parks south of 290 on Telge. Maybe an option.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: CSF] #1298680 03/10/10 03:25 PM
S
sweptvolume Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
290 and telge is not far from me at all as i am at 290 and 6. Thanks for the info!

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: sweptvolume] #1301043 03/11/10 05:41 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
If you go further down 6 and Westhiemer there is a dog park but next to it is an area that a lot of Lab guys use. Its probably a 2-3 acre pound in front of some woods.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: MS1454] #1301447 03/11/10 02:45 PM
M
Mapman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
MS1454 is correct. The area next to the Millie Bush Dog Park is a county designated dog training area. This designation means it is not against the county law to have a dog off leash. You can park in the small area in front of the tower opposite the American Shooting Center's entrance or at the dog park. There is a nice lake, marsh, low and high cover to train. On some Saturday mornings (early) members of the Tejas Hunting Retriever Club will be training their dogs at this location. I am a member of that club. You can join them during their training exercises. Just walk up and ask.

Another area is just south of I-10 between Hwy. 6 & Barker Cypress Rd. You go down a small street between the Lazy Boy Furniture Store and a car dealership. Park, walk over the hill and continue down the road to the trees where it makes a right hand turn. Follow the road/trail and you will come to a cattle gate on your left. Go through the gate and their will be a lake on your right and a pond on your left. I have not been there for years, but it used to be a good area to train.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: Mapman] #1301477 03/11/10 02:56 PM
S
sweptvolume Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Thank you guys!
Mapman and MS1454, send me a PM if you plan on heading to the area by Millie Bush some weekend. I'll bring the dogs but doubt I'll let them off leash at all unless someone there wouldn't mind helping out. To say I'm a novice is a severe understatement... I'm much worse than that, lol.

This is Gunner, he'll be two in June. I was too rough with him and didn't have enough patience when training, and it's made him very soft, but outside of the training arena, he knows all his basic obedience commands, and is a very VERY loving lapdog. I just hope it's not too late to save him if I can get him with someone good. And I don't know how the view of it here is, but I'm not against force fetching him.

And this is Sadie, our lab mix. Learning from my mistakes with Gunner, I'm hoping I can do better this time around. She may simply not hunt being a mix, but I there's only one way to tell.

No pics of them in the field as I have yet to go hunting in Texas...

They're teammates...

Last edited by sweptvolume; 03/11/10 03:16 PM.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: sweptvolume] #1301557 03/11/10 03:26 PM
B
blanked Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
my advice would be to forget about looking for a place to run him. take advantage of all the ponds and lakes around here and swim him. much better work out. toss a dummy out and let him retrieve. it will start warming up so you dont have to worry about overheating him like running him in a field during the heat

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: blanked] #1301632 03/11/10 04:00 PM
K
KTHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
If you guys are going to get together, I sure would love to bring my pup, Radar is 6mos old. I just live out in Katy, I usually work at Peckham Park.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: sweptvolume] #1301765 03/11/10 05:04 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Drake's sporting dogs has had some really good results in fixing training that's went wrong. Justin has more patience than I've ever seen in anyone. He kept my vizsla for a week while I was on vacation, when I got back I had to give him a call and ask what did you do to my dog? My puppy was obeying every command off lead, and acting like he wanted to do it. I was impressed.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: kindall] #1301776 03/11/10 05:09 PM
S
sweptvolume Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Radar is beautiful! We almost picked up a month old dudley named Astro, but the owners decided to keep him. We are out in Katy a lot (family and friends) and as soon as our lease is up we're looking at moving back out that way
Kindall, thank you for the heads-up. I'm not ashamed to say Gunner's lack of training is no one's fault but my own. My wife jokingly calls him my "practice dog".

Last edited by sweptvolume; 03/11/10 05:12 PM.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: sweptvolume] #1301869 03/11/10 05:45 PM
C
CSF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I'd be interested in meeting with you guys to work the dogs! I'm not a lab guy but my GSP loves to swim and retrieve (retrieves everything consistently...except chukar!)

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: CSF] #1302159 03/11/10 07:31 PM
S
sweptvolume Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Well we can get some PM's going, figure out a time and place, load up the trucks, coolers, and dogs, and have ourselves a mutt fest!

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: Mapman] #1302281 03/11/10 08:29 PM
C
CSF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Mapman
MS1454 is correct. The area next to the Millie Bush Dog Park is a county designated dog training area. This designation means it is not against the county law to have a dog off leash. You can park in the small area in front of the tower opposite the American Shooting Center's entrance or at the dog park. There is a nice lake, marsh, low and high cover to train. On some Saturday mornings (early) members of the Tejas Hunting Retriever Club will be training their dogs at this location. I am a member of that club. You can join them during their training exercises. Just walk up and ask.

Is this area fenced?

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: Mapman] #1302300 03/11/10 08:38 PM
S
sweptvolume Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S

Another area is just south of I-10 between Hwy. 6 & Barker Cypress Rd. You go down a small street between the Lazy Boy Furniture Store and a car dealership. Park, walk over the hill and continue down the road to the trees where it makes a right hand turn. Follow the road/trail and you will come to a cattle gate on your left. Go through the gate and their will be a lake on your right and a pond on your left. I have not been there for years, but it used to be a good area to train.

GPS or Google Map?

Edit: I see it on Google Maps. Just west of the dog park on Westheimer Parkway. I'm up for it! It could get hairy if a dog got loose and ran toward the road, but I guess that's what super long check cords and e-collars are for!

Last edited by sweptvolume; 03/11/10 08:45 PM.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: sweptvolume] #1303688 03/12/10 05:11 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: sweptvolume

GPS or Google Map?

Edit: I see it on Google Maps. Just west of the dog park on Westheimer Parkway. I'm up for it! It could get hairy if a dog got loose and ran toward the road, but I guess that's what super long check cords and e-collars are for!

Right now I use a long cord. And no its not fenced.

I plan on using the area now that its warmer for retrieving and duck work

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: MS1454] #1304032 03/12/10 02:25 PM
M
Mapman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I will not be at Retriever Lake this weekend. However visit the www.tejashrc.org site. We will have a formal training day, many times with a pro, approximately once a month. Come out as our guest. You may enjoy joining the club.

If your dog will not come to you when called, this would be a dangerous place since there is not a fence between Westheimer Parkway and the training grounds. We have never had a problem before.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: Mapman] #1304040 03/12/10 02:29 PM
S
sweptvolume Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
I will not be at Retriever Lake this weekend. However visit the www.tejashrc.org site. We will have a formal training day, many times with a pro, approximately once a month. Come out as our guest. You may enjoy joining the club.

If your dog will not come to you when called, this would be a dangerous place since there is not a fence between Westheimer Parkway and the training grounds. We have never had a problem before.

Mapman,
Thank you, I will certainly check out the site and come out for a visit. It sounds like just the group of folks I'd like to get to know. Gunner doesn't run wildly, and comes when called, but I'll still get a few different length check cords to haul his 100 pound butt back in if he gets flighty.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: KTHunter] #1308372 03/15/10 02:35 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: KTHunter
If you guys are going to get together, I sure would love to bring my pup, Radar is 6mos old. I just live out in Katy, I usually work at Peckham Park.

Hey KT!!!!! Radar's lookin' GOOOOOOD!!!!! cheers

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1308590 03/15/10 06:54 AM
D
devildog28 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I've used the dog training area over in George Bush Park before and rarely came across anyone else using it. It's far enough from the road that going after a car really wouldn't factor.

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1312196 03/17/10 01:52 AM
K
KTHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Thanks IronSpike, took Radar up to the ranch in Grapeland this week end. He had a blast and I had the chance to work him a lot, I will post some new pic's.

Last edited by KTHunter; 03/17/10 03:08 AM.
Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: kindall] #1336794 03/29/10 09:22 PM
W
waterlandkennels Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
your more than welcome to come out and train with our group and we are west of houston

Re: Room to run in Houston? [Re: waterlandkennels] #1336879 03/29/10 10:18 PM
K
KTHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
waterlandkennels, that would be great, when do you guys get together?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide