Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1247039 02/16/10 05:40 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: budreau
there are lots of us out there- greedy bastages- i just sit around all year coming up with all kinds of evil ways to rob the quial hunters of their money. ha ha ha (kinda like dr. evil)

rofl

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: A.B.] #1247249 02/16/10 07:31 PM
S
scattergun Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I am retired, but how do you school teachers stay on this board all day? My wife teaches and she sure doesn't have time for this nor would the district allow it.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: scattergun] #1247356 02/16/10 08:07 PM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
dang aggie you got caught. be in trouble now

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: A.B.] #1247742 02/16/10 10:41 PM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
To you texas ranchers I would like to say quailquy doesn't speak for all quail hunters. I think if the government (state or federal) came up w/ a program that would help our wild quail survive and thrive we would all be on board. The government wastes much of our tax dollars and I would be happy to see some of that go to hard working texas ranchers and farmers. All programs begin as an idea that is put into action, gain steam and thru trial and error either succeed or fail. QU has failed. Cable has brought our atten. to the quail coaltion and it seems to be on the right track and I believe it deserves our attention at the very least. Time will tell its story. Occasionaly, some from the migratory section (Jeff34) will fly over and hold out Delta as the model we should follow. I would like to point out that Delta came about from one man's response to the decline of waterfowling in the 30'. He and aldo leoupold scraped up 1000 dollars to fund a graduate student and the rest is history. Their most recent claim to fame, predation control at nesting sites, was began in the 2000's. Not exactly an overnite success. Another of their success stories is the youth and graduate studies they do. Exactly what Dr. Dale and his bunch are advocates of. The comedy stylings of jeff once told how the quail is gone due to fireants and the turkey is thriving on his (or should I say his daddy's) land. When reminded that quail and turkey both nest on the ground, he went into a rant saying he was sure it wasn't his cattle that caused it. He then came back with Delta's success on predation and recommened that quail hunters should control predation also. Well duh, now if we could only get all of the texas quail nesting around a few potholes maybe we could duplicate their results. As evidence of his knowledge of quail he held out this nugget, he still has a bird dog whistle that belonged to his great grandpappy. I suggest you toot on it and maybe you can get some of those dabblers and divers you are so proud of posting to come in to those glorified stock tanks you call duck holes on daddy's farm. Your knowledge of quail would fit into a thimble.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1247769 02/16/10 10:52 PM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
[ rofl flehan. As evidence of his knowledge of quail he held out this nugget, he still has a bird dog whistle that belonged to his great grandpappy. I suggest you toot on it and maybe you can get some of those dabblers and divers you are so proud of posting to come in to those glorified stock tanks you call duck holes on daddy's farm. Your knowledge of quail would fit into a thimble. [/quote]

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: westtex75] #1247796 02/16/10 11:06 PM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
High rack Jeff34 is the Texas state duck calling champ 1989. Show some respect!

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: westtex75] #1247804 02/16/10 11:11 PM
H
High Rack Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted By: westtex75
High rack Jeff34 is the Texas state duck calling champ 1989. Show some respect!
. Yea I hear when he blows a call bobwhite hens go in heat.

give em hell boys
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: High Rack] #1247868 02/16/10 11:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: High Rack
To you texas ranchers I would like to say quailquy doesn't speak for all quail hunters. I think if the government (state or federal) came up w/ a program that would help our wild quail survive and thrive we would all be on board. The government wastes much of our tax dollars and I would be happy to see some of that go to hard working texas ranchers and farmers. All programs begin as an idea that is put into action, gain steam and thru trial and error either succeed or fail. QU has failed. Cable has brought our atten. to the quail coaltion and it seems to be on the right track and I believe it deserves our attention at the very least.

I agree

Quote:

Time will tell its story. Occasionaly, some from the migratory section (Jeff34) will fly over and hold out Delta as the model we should follow. I would like to point out that Delta came about from one man's response to the decline of waterfowling in the 30'. He and aldo leoupold scraped up 1000 dollars to fund a graduate student and the rest is history. Their most recent claim to fame, predation control at nesting sites, was began in the 2000's. Not exactly an overnite success. Another of their success stories is the youth and graduate studies they do. Exactly what Dr. Dale and his bunch are advocates of. The comedy stylings of jeff once told how the quail is gone due to fireants and the turkey is thriving on his (or should I say his daddy's) land. When reminded that quail and turkey both nest on the ground, he went into a rant saying he was sure it wasn't his cattle that caused it. He then came back with Delta's success on predation and recommened that quail hunters should control predation also. Well duh, now if we could only get all of the texas quail nesting around a few potholes maybe we could duplicate their results. As evidence of his knowledge of quail he held out this nugget, he still has a bird dog whistle that belonged to his great grandpappy. I suggest you toot on it and maybe you can get some of those dabblers and divers you are so proud of posting to come in to those glorified stock tanks you call duck holes on daddy's farm. Your knowledge of quail would fit into a thimble.

This is stupid. Regardless where his land came from weither his great grandfather, Grandfather, or dad.... He still works it everyday, and will continue to do so until the day he dies. Thats more then I'm sure most on here can say. Regardless of his upland knowledge, he along with ranchers just like him are going to be either the beginning of the Quail or end of the Quail. So you can either sit from puplet and judge or help educate.

Jeff brought up the biggest point on this whole thread how do you get land owners to lower thier income to help save quail habitit. You can't unless you subisize it like you mentioned above... an even then the subsitiy is not likely to fully cover the income loss. jeff brings up delta and DU because the sames things that help ducks in the southwest help cattle.. so its an easy sell to landowners.. But again quail habitat is different with different needs and different cause and effects.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1247888 02/16/10 11:52 PM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Educate me. What income loss?

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1247905 02/17/10 12:03 AM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
All of us concerned quail hunters know that landowners are the key. I for one don't begrudge ranchers one dime of income however they come by it. Jeff has bashed quail hunters in general of which I am one. I am certain he is a helluva duck hunter and a hard working cattle man, but he has made in the past some dumbarse statements about quail and quail hunters. I would think it only natural when one bashes some of those statements would be brought up.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: westtex75] #1247934 02/17/10 12:21 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: westtex75
All of us concerned quail hunters know that landowners are the key. I for one don't begrudge ranchers one dime of income however they come by it. Jeff has bashed quail hunters in general of which I am one. I am certain he is a helluva duck hunter and a hard working cattle man, but he has made in the past some dumbarse statements about quail and quail hunters. I would think it only natural when one bashes some of those statements would be brought up.

How can anyone bash quail hunters? We're the smartest people in the world. We're out there for the cheap meat. Quailguy took a bashing on this thread, but he paid $5,000 for no meat.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248037 02/17/10 01:18 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: coolie76

Are you buying the next round, I'm geting thristy?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1248045 02/17/10 01:22 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How many of you who have posted on this thread have given money to the Quail Coalition?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1248047 02/17/10 01:23 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I guess I could give you a virtual beer. Drink up.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248053 02/17/10 01:28 AM
B
budreau Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B

in a perfect quail world (or so i've been told ) there would be no livestock or very few and lots of weeds in the farm fields. nothing to disturb the quail habitat but the ocasional atv loaded with dog boxes

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1248078 02/17/10 01:40 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I'm asking a legitimate question, and I get a smart azz answer.
Cattle and quail have lived together for a long time.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1248083 02/17/10 01:41 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: budreau

in a perfect quail world (or so i've been told ) there would be no livestock or very few and lots of weeds in the farm fields. nothing to disturb the quail habitat but the ocasional atv loaded with dog boxes

yelp lots of weeds and no single grass pastures. No more broad leaf spraying on your field edges. Even CRP fields being multi-native grass fields instead of single and mowed or burned to keep them from getting to thick.

Less cows when the grasses get shorter...ect

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248091 02/17/10 01:45 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Yes they have and some say they go hand and hand. But look at the top quail desentations in TX for wild quail... What do those ranches have in common. They are not cattle dependent, so they have very little cattle pressure. Many of their pastures are managed strictly for quail not cattle. The Grasses are differnt, they aren't planting coastal and round baling it 2-4 times a year.

Their pastures are never grazed past a point, in fact most are using the cattle to manage the grasses. Not using the grass to manage cattle.

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/17/10 01:47 AM.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: budreau] #1248100 02/17/10 01:49 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
You quail guys need to calm down or Im going to tell my daddy your being mean to me!!! I think I will go to my glorified stock tank/ duck hole and cry now crying Most not ALL, but most of yall dont know $hit about land or as much about quail as you think. If your anti cattle then you have no clue how the prairies of Texas developed.. It was foot action from thousands of buffalo tearing every blade of grass to dirt. Yet the quail survived. A monster drought in the 30's then again in the 50's. Yet the quail survived. But now their numbers have plummeted. Could it be the lack of Federal trappers?? Dont know. I know on my DADDY'S ranch when I was a kid, when we saw a bob cat or coyote we thought it was a big deal. But when GRAND DADDY blew his whistle to his bird dogs there where lots of quail on my DADDYS ranch.

You know at Stuttgart I didnt make the second go with DADDYs whistle confused2

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: bill oxner] #1248153 02/17/10 02:05 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
How many of you who have posted on this thread have given money to the Quail Coalition?

Not yet but I will. I've got nothing but blues though. I'd rather try to herd cats then let my dog loose on them.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: bill oxner] #1248199 02/17/10 02:23 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

I will in a few weeks at one of their banquets they are having.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: Jeff Elder] #1248203 02/17/10 02:24 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Then it will give me room to B!TCH if I want to

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Quail Coalition [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1248227 02/17/10 02:31 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Yes they have and some say they go hand and hand. But look at the top quail desentations in TX for wild quail... What do those ranches have in common. They are not cattle dependent, so they have very little cattle pressure. Many of their pastures are managed strictly for quail not cattle. The Grasses are differnt, they aren't planting coastal and round baling it 2-4 times a year.

Their pastures are never grazed past a point, in fact most are using the cattle to manage the grasses. Not using the grass to manage cattle.

Most of the ranches I've hunted on are not fit to run many cattle on. The land can't handle a very large cattle to acre ratio. When I do run across coastal fields, they are patchworked in to the overall usage.
It would seem to me that a large working ranch, with many fields planted in coastal, wouldn't have many quail anyway. I don't think those ranches give much thought to quail, or their numbers, or hunters in general, unless there are deer. I realize that hunters dollars basically pay the taxes on a ranch. Ranchers and land owners don't get rich from hunters.

These new land management practices will probably be intended where quail and cattle coexist already.

There are probably 50 deer hunters to every quail hunter in Texas, with that one decreasing every year.

Doing nothing will produce exactly that, nothing. But, even if there is just one group of people trying to preserve a small little piece of this state, for the preservation of the bob white quail, I'm in favor for it.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248280 02/17/10 02:48 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Most of the ranches I've hunted on are not fit to run many cattle on. The land can't handle a very large cattle to acre ratio. When I do run across coastal fields, they are patchworked in to the overall usage.
It would seem to me that a large working ranch, with many fields planted in coastal, wouldn't have many quail anyway. I don't think those ranches give much thought to quail, or their numbers, or hunters in general, unless there are deer. I realize that hunters dollars basically pay the taxes on a ranch. Ranchers and land owners don't get rich from hunters.

These new land management practices will probably be intended where quail and cattle coexist already.

There are probably 50 deer hunters to every quail hunter in Texas, with that one decreasing every year.

Doing nothing will produce exactly that, nothing. But, even if there is just one group of people trying to preserve a small little piece of this state, for the preservation of the bob white quail, I'm in favor for it.

To me if your going to save the quail you have to save the quail hunters first. You save the quail hunter by adding more huntable land. Not just increasing quail numbers on where they are already doing well. IMO.

I have no idea whats the best way to fix the population, but I do know the way it is now... Its like having the only water hole for 50 miles... If you have access to that water hole your golden if you don't your going to be on the road for a while. So you have to start with THOSE ranches that had the quail but don't any more

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 02/17/10 02:49 AM.

Re: Quail Coalition [Re: coolie] #1248283 02/17/10 02:48 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Costal has NO food value for wildlife, and isn't that great for cattle either.

All I have been trying to say is,,, before it got side tracked is basically what you are saying. Quail hunters # are droping and I think that a way to get more people involved is for the state to help in restocking the Quail.. More opportunity to shoot at quail means more people hunting quail, which means more people joining QC, wich means more $ for research!! If we can eradicat a screw worm , we can bring back quail.

Cell 817-597-0781
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide