Print Thread
am I just completely out of touch?? #1221877 02/05/10 05:47 PM
S
SanAngeloAF Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
This is kind of related to my other post, but please bear with me...

I'm looking for a place where I can freely camp, hunt, and have a fire. I just figured this would be a simple matter of finding a place that isn't too far but as far as public lands go, this seems like an impossible pipe dream.

I'm getting kind of frustrated, we live in this massive country with more land than we'll ever know what to do with, but every public site I can find on the net seems to suffocate you with bureaucracy its worse than the military as far as rules go.

I just want to walk in, shoot something, build a fire, set up camp, and eat it. Am I just completely out of touch here?

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: SanAngeloAF] #1221911 02/05/10 06:03 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SanAngeloAF

I just want to walk in, shoot something, build a fire, set up camp, and eat it. Am I just completely out of touch here?

Unless you own the land, I'm afraid so.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: janie] #1221933 02/05/10 06:11 PM
S
SanAngeloAF Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Maybe the best bet then is just to pay for a day hunting lease on a big place for hogs or varmints or something cheap... but, will they let me camp?

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: SanAngeloAF] #1221947 02/05/10 06:16 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
there are still places where you can set up camp, build a fire and fish. But the only thing you would be able to shoot are ducks.

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: rifleman] #1221952 02/05/10 06:20 PM
S
SanAngeloAF Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
What about rabbits?

I just don't understand the heavy regulation given that we have so much wilderness in this country and especially in Texas.

I just wanna shoot a rabbit and eat it, sheesh, its not like I'm trying to take out some endangered species or something. no comprendo...

Well, anyway, if anyone knows of a place (preferably public but I'll pay too) in TX where I can do backcountry camping (with fire) and shoot varmints, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by SanAngeloAF; 02/05/10 06:30 PM.
Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: SanAngeloAF] #1222020 02/05/10 06:55 PM
B
BillS2008 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
B

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: BillS2008] #1222036 02/05/10 07:00 PM
C
CenTexBenelli Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I second that SanAngeloAF youre not going to find the free land here in Texas. I'm originally from the north East and there is plenty of that up there, but Texas is 92% Privatly owned. Its kinda like I lost some freedom when I came to Texas. But as soon as the opertunitl allows itself I will be moving back to the North East, I still own property there.

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: CenTexBenelli] #1222101 02/05/10 07:34 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
The National Forests in East Texas; Angelina, Sabine, Davy Crockett; you can camp at their designated primitive campsites. There is no cost to access those lands except for a hunting license. Those are FREE lands to hunt on and there are others within the state.

You will require a valid hunting license on those National Forests except for within any of the Wildlife Management Areas on them...you'll require the Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH) $48 for the WMA's in addition to the license.

The LPU (Limited Public Use Permit)$12 does not allow you to hunt on any of the Public Hunting Lands within the APH map booklet. It is for non-consumptive use only.

Last edited by kyotee1; 02/05/10 07:35 PM.
Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: kyotee1] #1222149 02/05/10 08:02 PM
B
BillS2008 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
B

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: SanAngeloAF] #1222291 02/05/10 08:54 PM
H
HornHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
This is kind of related to my other post, but please bear with me...

I'm looking for a place where I can freely camp, hunt, and have a fire. I just figured this would be a simple matter of finding a place that isn't too far but as far as public lands go, this seems like an impossible pipe dream.

I'm getting kind of frustrated, we live in this massive country with more land than we'll ever know what to do with, but every public site I can find on the net seems to suffocate you with bureaucracy its worse than the military as far as rules go.

Welcome to pulbic land Hunting...Ft Hood is one of the worst IMO for hunting..Ft.Hood Is federal Land.....The public can hunt on Ft.Hood...But you want to talk about rules..You cant so much as even break the ground..And its a federal Offence..You wanna talk rules...Try Hunting Ft.hood ....

And you wanna talk good ole boy network at its best...

Almost all the hunts require that you have a guide...Guides at Ft.Hood have to provide everything for their hunting area..blind, ladder, etc etc....Having worked with the Hog Trapper on Ft Hood..Talk about A REAL A-HOLE This guy takes the cake...I got to see first hand how things work around Ft.HOOD Hunting grounds...Guides stick people that they donot like watching a field of cows for hours...While putting their family and friends on some nice deer..

I have never did a hunt.oN Ft Hood.But I worked the grounds for over a year..I saw many of guys get put in some of the worst spots ever.....Where as a family member or buddy of a guide..You are going to get the prime days to hunt...And you are going to be put in the best spots to take nice bucks...

TRUE STORY FOLKS...GO OUT FIND A LEASE..AND SAVE YOURSELF ALOT OF GRIEF...

I CANT STAND THE GOOD OLE BOY NETWORK..I DONT PLAY THAT CRAP

Last edited by HornHunter; 02/05/10 09:02 PM. Reason: worked up over public hunting

From Myself,michael,nick & T-Bone..Let me be the first to say..Welcome To The BrotherHood
LIFETIME VFW MEMBER..
SUPPORT THE TROOPS.

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: SanAngeloAF] #1222295 02/05/10 08:55 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Don't know if "out of touch" is the right phrase
but it might help to think of this in the big picture.

If it's ok to assume that you are of the talent and
conscience to go into a public land area and:
Set up camp
Safely hunt & shoot guns
Build a fire
Cook a meal
Spend the night
Perform necessary bodily funtions
Leave area without trace of having been there

then yes, there would be no problem with YOU using the
area in this way. The problem is, the huge majority of
folks that would also have that right either don't have
or don't use the skills to follow these steps, most
importantly the final one. So what we'd end up with is
public lands that look more like public dump sites and
hobo villages, not to mention not safe to walk thru for
all the random gunfire.

Just a different aspect to consider. up

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: janie] #1222311 02/05/10 09:00 PM
.17HMeRin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: janie

Unless you own the land, I'm afraid so.

x2...sad but true. realmad

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: .17HMeRin] #1222349 02/05/10 09:14 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
i feel u man, whe i was growin up, we would go out to the woods on our land and camp. my dad would take us a few times a year to do this. we would eat a rabbit or hog or squirrels or something. but we brought food too lol. we camped in a tent and i loved it. now when my friends up here in the city ask to go camping....we go toa campsite with water electricity, we bring all our food..... just not the same, but both are good experiences at the right time.

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: SanAngeloAF] #1222436 02/05/10 09:46 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
SanAngeloAF I hear your side but listen for a moment to the landowner side. In recent years we have had 4 head of cattle shot and left to rot and three different fence cutting episodes to drag deer out to vehicles. We pickup trash and beer cans ongoing along our county roads for if we don't they stay forever. We pickup washers, dryers, freezers, fridges, couches, sinks, tires, trash with dirty diapers, dead animals and carcass's that have been dicarded. I understand your frustrations and hopefully some landowner in that area will respond to your plea. Just try to understand the other side as well. Good luck.

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: KG68] #1222483 02/05/10 10:08 PM
S
SanAngeloAF Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Kyotee 1: thanks for the links, they restrict camping to specific sites, but you can cut firewood, have a fire, and hunt there... doesn't say anything about backcountry camping but three out of four isn't bad!

So for now I'll probably have to go with the day lease route and save myself some trouble, at least while I'm in Texas (till April). Does anyone know of cheap small game/pig (I'm not paying three grand for a deer) day leases in central texas?

Question though to some of the guys who were talking about hunting outside of Texas (n.e. etc). Are there places out there, anywhere in the US, where you can just go at it survivorman style and just be free to do your thing? Seems like it'd be worth a trip.

Last edited by SanAngeloAF; 02/05/10 10:09 PM.
Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: SanAngeloAF] #1222509 02/05/10 10:19 PM
H
HornHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I would never pay to hunt pigs..Their are too many out their...

From Myself,michael,nick & T-Bone..Let me be the first to say..Welcome To The BrotherHood
LIFETIME VFW MEMBER..
SUPPORT THE TROOPS.

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: HornHunter] #1222802 02/06/10 12:17 AM
S
SanAngeloAF Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Do you know of a good place around here to hunt them for free? (central texas)

Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: CenTexBenelli] #1222893 02/06/10 12:59 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: 7mm TX Lab
.....but Texas is 92% Privatly owned.

Actually it's over 97% privately owned.....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: am I just completely out of touch?? [Re: Eland Slayer] #1224000 02/06/10 04:54 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Quote:
Question though to some of the guys who were talking about hunting outside of Texas (n.e. etc). Are there places out there, anywhere in the US, where you can just go at it survivorman style and just be free to do your thing? Seems like it'd be worth a trip.

National Forest in Colorado. Do it during Sept and it can turn into an archery elk hunt. smile

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide