Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: Redboneman] #1169908 01/13/10 08:50 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Redboneman
I was raised with horses as I was brought up on a 450 head dairy operation. Horses and dogs are two totally different worlds.

As for females, I can agree with the lack of a heat cycle being a HUGE plus. But for males it it isn't the same. Horses the will to breed goes out and you have something you don't have to "handle" or worry about a mare being in heat. But for male dogs you usually don't have that issue. If you hunt with females just make sure they are not in cycle and you won't have an issue.

X2! I breed raise & train both Labrador Retrievers and Foundation Quarter Horses. I geld the FQH's that I don't want to breed because a hormone crazed stallion at 2,000 lbs is a force to be reckoned with! By the same token, though it's not common, over the years I've had some very docile stallions who were absolute gentlemen - even around mares in heat! With the dogs, the relationship is different, the motivation for behavior is different (prey animal vs predator) and the ability to train/manage the animal is different. I can't say there is enough evidence to draw a direct correlation between aggression/willingness to fight and solely on whether or not a dog is kept intact. Individual temperament & training cannot be discounted as key factors.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: Redboneman] #1170701 01/14/10 02:20 AM
T
travelinman31 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Been awhile since I've been on, but I'll try and clarify. Notice I said "if you have no plans of breeding", it would be best to cut him. I feel the same with a female, if you have no plans of breeding her "fix her". Never said an intact dog couldn't be enjoyable, and certainly wouldn't keep me from a hunt with anyone. However, you stated yourself don't hunt with a female that is in her cycle, that is one reason it could be unenjoyable. With opportunities to hunt becoming fewer and farther between, why would you start yourself out behind the 8 ball on that issue to begin with. Your right about idiot dogs, but I have seen some become pretty enjoyable to be around and hunt after they've been cut, but they were complete idiots when intact. Surely you wouldn't want to breed and idiot dog, so start with cutting before counting him out. Again all of this is stated IF there are no plans of breeding. I had a female given to me that was the best I've been around, she had been spayed. What I would give if she could have had a litter, but that wasn't the case. But the huntability made it bearable, never had to worry about heat cycle. I'm a hunter not a breeder, and I understand not everyone falls into that category. I ain't gonna sit here and say they have any problems. Still don't know if the JRT was cut or not???

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: travelinman31] #1170725 01/14/10 02:29 AM
T
travelinman31 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Reread your post. The part about being ludicrous, someone not wanting to hunt with an intact male. If they have a female in heat it's smart, if they don't want a litter. If you have an intact male that you've trained well enough to call him off of a female in heat, that's ready and willing, I'm out of my league. Again nothing against intact Males, but maybe something against folks thinking and intact male is a better hunter than a neutered dog, and that's the only reason I could see someone not cutting a dog they don't intend to breed. But that's for another topic.

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: travelinman31] #1171140 01/14/10 05:18 AM
R
Redboneman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Unfortunately that's the breaks with a female dog. I had to keep Mazy locked up a few times and miss out on UKC points...but I knew that going in.

I usually don't ask if a female is in heat or not, because that is the owners fault for bringing her. I had a spayed black lab that was the best water dog I've ever owned or worked with, but that's not to say she didn't have a scuff with this one yellow lab. (no clue they just didn't jive)

I just think you have to look at the dog, their temperament, their personality, their ability and condition. These are the things that I have learned. Plus if I have a gyp or bitch I record their heat cycles and try to map them and take them out of the game a week ahead of time to thwart any issues arising.

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1175550 01/16/10 04:15 AM
moderno Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
I've raised and been around horses all my life and I have never seen a Quarter Horse that would weigh 2000 lbs.

The draft breeds maybe.

The biggest heading horse I ever owned only weighed 1350 lbs.

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: moderno] #1175556 01/16/10 04:18 AM
moderno Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
No, the Jack Russell is still packing.

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: moderno] #1178510 01/17/10 11:13 PM
E
Ern3st Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: moderno
No, the Jack Russell is still packing.

Hes the one thats the aggressor right?

Last edited by Ern3st; 01/17/10 11:14 PM.
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: Ern3st] #1179476 01/18/10 05:28 AM
moderno Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Yeah, its usually him that causes the problems.

But not all the time.

The GSP has been cut and they are getting along a lot better.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide