Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Should I neuter my GSP #1150337 01/05/10 02:48 PM
moderno Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
I have a 1 year old GSP male, that I just brought home from training, that stays outside. I also have a Jack Russell that is 8 years old, that is a house dog. Everytime I let the Jack Russell outside there is a dog fight. It started out small, but has escalated to bloodshed. My wife said to have the GSP neutered.

I really dont have any plans to breed the GSP. So, what should I do, neuter him? Three people have told me it would make him a better dog. What's ya'lls opinion on this matter? Would cutting him take away from his hunting ability, or make him less of a bird dog??????

My wife has an appointment to have him cut and microchipped Thursday, so I need an answer PDQ.

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: moderno] #1150350 01/05/10 02:51 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
let him eat the Jack russell... problem solved! smile

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: moderno] #1150485 01/05/10 03:41 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
I like the answer above! rofl

bottom line: if you have no plans to breed him, then you have just given yourself the answer… neuter him. It won’t make any difference with his hunting abilities or make him any less of a dog, if he hunts now, he’ll always hunt and he’ll be happier without the juevos. BUT... it also might not make any difference with the two dogs fighting either. Just be prepared to have to address this issue again, sans marbles. This can be a behavioral/pack thing with one trying to establish alpha over the other.

[Linked Image]
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: nogeese] #1150786 01/05/10 05:57 PM
C
CSF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: nogeese
let him eat the Jack russell... problem solved! smile

+1 wink

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: CSF] #1150909 01/05/10 06:56 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Do you ever have the need to have your dog finish off an animal? I see some backyard training.

Also, why do you have the hunting dog in the yard and the worthless dog in the house. The hunting dog provides for you. I have a hunting dog that sleeps by my bed and a yard dog I found while hog hunting.

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: stinkbelly] #1150926 01/05/10 07:04 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's been my experience that neutered dogs make better hunting dogs.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: bill oxner] #1151091 01/05/10 08:15 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Is the JRT neutered? If so, there's proof neutering the GSP doesn't guarantee a solution. If not, tell the wife YOU'LL take the dog in on Thursday... and haul the JRT in, instead!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #1151152 01/05/10 08:43 PM
B
BMowatt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
rofl Haul the JRT in

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: BMowatt] #1152131 01/06/10 03:45 AM
moderno Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Thanks guys for your answers, I know the jack is just trying to be the big dog, and he dosen't like a new dog being around and that is what is causing the whole deal. I just didn't know whether cuttin the bird dog would hurt his hunting ability.

That JRT is a tough little dude though. He wont back down. rofl

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: moderno] #1152371 01/06/10 05:36 AM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I dont know if the neutering him will fix the situation. it could be the jack to. and if he is fixed and the jack attacks again he will just defend himself.

Say When.....
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: CinchMan] #1152412 01/06/10 06:07 AM
R
Redboneman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
From the sounds of it neutering won't do a danged thing except make a dog loose his nuts. The Jack Russ has some attitude adjustments that are in order. Me, him, a piggin' string, a stick would have a little "talk". I would have this talk with the wife holding the other dog on a leash...when the JR lashes out he gets a good solid tug on the string....if he isn't compliant...he gets the stick...rinse and repeat.

If that don't do the trick...a good solid boot the arse never hurt a dog....just his pride.

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: Redboneman] #1153390 01/06/10 08:03 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Redboneman
From the sounds of it neutering won't do a danged thing except make a dog loose his nuts. The Jack Russ has some attitude adjustments that are in order. Me, him, a piggin' string, a stick would have a little "talk". I would have this talk with the wife holding the other dog on a leash...when the JR lashes out he gets a good solid tug on the string....if he isn't compliant...he gets the stick...rinse and repeat.

If that don't do the trick...a good solid boot the arse never hurt a dog....just his pride.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: Redboneman] #1154390 01/07/10 02:54 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M

Yea that will really get the dog to stop being aggressive lol

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: MS1454] #1155820 01/07/10 06:58 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
My dog is neutered, but can still be "dog aggressive".

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: MS1454] #1156033 01/07/10 08:15 PM
R
Redboneman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: MS1454

\

Yea that will really get the dog to stop being aggressive lol

Give me a week with this dog and I'll straighten him out. There are times that you have to resort to "touching" the dog. The piggin string is nothing but a method of instant reward for doing something right. You apply pressure (not hanging the dog) to the string and when he obeys the command you release the pressure...tada instant reward.

As for the boot, well guess what. Some dogs need it and it is a good reminder of who is at the top of the pack with an alpha type dog or an aggressive dog. I've seen dogs that are incredibly possessive of game be turned in the right direction with a good solid boot the rear.

So hug your dog or do what ever, but I'll do what has worked for me for over 15 years.

Last edited by Redboneman; 01/07/10 08:17 PM.
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: CinchMan] #1156492 01/07/10 11:44 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Opinion if the Jack is a male the problem will not be solved, the GSP will defend himself. You are in a no win situation. You must decide which one you are going to keep. I agree with bill neutering will not hurt his hunting

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: tigger] #1158318 01/08/10 04:24 PM
moderno Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Well, he got cut and micro-chipped. Guess I'll just have to see what happens.

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: CinchMan] #1162006 01/10/10 05:05 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
my .02, neutering will not solve the problem, if hes reg. and turns out to be a OUTSTANDING hunter, you might have regrets on the neutering. from my experience, neutering did not stop the aggression on dogs that we had in our kennel.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: tigger] #1163247 01/10/10 11:26 PM
T
travelinman31 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Probably the best idea to cut him. You have never said if the JRT is cut or not. I agree with a lot that has been said, including the problem could be the smaller dog. However if you want to enjoy YOUR dog neutering is the best thing, with no intentions of breeding. If you want to hunt with other dogs and other people in the future you'll be better off. If left intact the JRT has insured your bird dog will be a fighter of other males. Just my opinion, but as Bob Barkley says "have your pets spayed or neutered".

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: travelinman31] #1163925 01/11/10 03:40 AM
R
Redboneman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
If you don't mind me asking travelinman31 how does cutting a dog make him more enjoyable. My dog is just fine and he has his jewels. If you can't enjoy your dog with his stuff then either A: He's an idiot to start with and does not need to be hunted. or B: you didn't train him right.

Just because a dog has his stuff does NOT mean he will fight. I want to end that fallacy here and now.

If you wont hunt with dogs that have their package then you have issues not the other dogs. That's ludicrous that other people are more likely to hunt with you if your dog has been sterilized.

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: Redboneman] #1163974 01/11/10 04:00 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
If you don't mind me asking travelinman31 how does cutting a dog make him more enjoyable. My dog is just fine and he has his jewels. If you can't enjoy your dog with his stuff then either A: He's an idiot to start with and does not need to be hunted. or B: you didn't train him right.

Just because a dog has his stuff does NOT mean he will fight. I want to end that fallacy here and now.

If you wont hunt with dogs that have their package then you have issues not the other dogs. That's ludicrous that other people are more likely to hunt with you if your dog has been sterilized.
+1

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: colt45-90] #1167988 01/12/10 11:22 PM
R
Redboneman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
travelinman31, I really was asking why/how cutting a dog makes him more enjoyable. I want to hear your side of the story.

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: Redboneman] #1168089 01/12/10 11:57 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
travelinman31, I really was asking why/how cutting a dog makes him more enjoyable. I want to hear your side of the story.

I've only had females. It might be different for males, but with spayed females, they're all yours, after neutering. Their mind is on hunting, and not sex.

Look at it this way; Did you have a group of friends who did everything together while in their younger years? The buddies till we die kind of friends? One discouvered love, and he was no longer your buddy till he died. Same way with dogs. I read somewhere that a good stallion makes a great gielding. I'll try to google the quote and see what I get, or you can do it and and answer your own question.

The best bird dog I known of in Texas is a neutered pointer named George.

Edit: here you go;

Associated Content HomeArts & Entertainment

2 Why Choose a Gelding Instead of a Mare or Stallion?
August 27, 2008 by Elizabeth J. Baldwin Elizabeth J. Baldwin Published Content: 135 Total Views: 32,867 Fans: 23 View Profile | Follow | Add to Favorites Single pageFont SizePost a comment Share More topicsGelding | Stallion | Mare | Mare and Foal | Singularity | Foal
An old saying is "A good stallion makes a great gelding." This is so true. A gelding is your best friend. All the energy a stallion channels into his sex drive the gelding diverts into work and play. This is part of the reason that most top performance horses, beyond the age of four, are geldings. Many of those good stallions are retired to the farm to get started on the next generation.

Last edited by bill oxner; 01/13/10 12:17 AM.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: bill oxner] #1168288 01/13/10 01:39 AM
R
Redboneman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I was raised with horses as I was brought up on a 450 head dairy operation. Horses and dogs are two totally different worlds.

As for females, I can agree with the lack of a heat cycle being a HUGE plus. But for males it it isn't the same. Horses the will to breed goes out and you have something you don't have to "handle" or worry about a mare being in heat. But for male dogs you usually don't have that issue. If you hunt with females just make sure they are not in cycle and you won't have an issue.

Re: Should I neuter my GSP [Re: bill oxner] #1168647 01/13/10 03:52 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

I've only had females. It might be different for males, but with spayed females, they're all yours, after neutering. Their mind is on hunting, and not sex.

Look at it this way; Did you have a group of friends who did everything together while in their younger years? The buddies till we die kind of friends? One discouvered love, and he was no longer your buddy till he died. Same way with dogs. I read somewhere that a good stallion makes a great gielding. I'll try to google the quote and see what I get, or you can do it and and answer your own question.

The best bird dog I known of in Texas is a neutered pointer named George.

Edit: here you go;

Associated Content HomeArts & Entertainment

2 Why Choose a Gelding Instead of a Mare or Stallion?
August 27, 2008 by Elizabeth J. Baldwin Elizabeth J. Baldwin Published Content: 135 Total Views: 32,867 Fans: 23 View Profile | Follow | Add to Favorites Single pageFont SizePost a comment Share More topicsGelding | Stallion | Mare | Mare and Foal | Singularity | Foal
An old saying is "A good stallion makes a great gelding." This is so true. A gelding is your best friend. All the energy a stallion channels into his sex drive the gelding diverts into work and play. This is part of the reason that most top performance horses, beyond the age of four, are geldings. Many of those good stallions are retired to the farm to get started on the next generation.
NOT always true

Last edited by colt45; 01/13/10 03:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide